[KERNEL] [MTD] [TW/CM9/CM11] [DEV] Watson Kernel (MTD support on Gingerbread!)

sonickles9

Sep 4, 2014
São Paulo
Hello guys,

This is a project I was working on for a kernel for our SGY.
I made it with a few things in mind:

>Improve it's performance
>Be universally compatible (after I nearly given up on trying to get a snappier CM11 and after the need for a snappier SGY, I decided to go back to GB. However, BML is terrible, and it is annoying to come back to. I decided to build a MTD kernel for Gingerbread then, and it works!)
>Experiment and upgrade as much as I can (thanks @robcore!!!!)
But since I lost my device, I cannot continue developing it. I am then releasing the source code (sorry, no flashable stuff, I deleted it long ago :p) for any of you to continue(?) my work if your heart so desires.

If I ever get myself another SGY (or another BCM21553 device), I will gladly continue development (and support whoever does it too), but before I lose all my data and the kernel code alongside it, I am making it available.

This kernel features:
-OC up to 1040MHz (It's questionable even today if the bcm21553 OCs really work, but I tried hacking a way that works very similarly to MarocOS's one, maybe even better. Be warned though, the source around it is messy)
-GPU hacks for performance (Again, even I don't know if they do work, probably the values are just there to be seen, I'm not sure. I do know though that increasing the CPU speed will much likely increase the speed of V3D too)
-DVFS disabled (I found out DVFS is mostly the culpirit in the "832MHz crisis" where the kernel would forcefully scale itself to 832MHz, so I eliminated any reference to it in kernel code. Apparently DVFS on the processor is only available under the bcm21553 governor, but it is present on the other drivers as well. The idea for disabling DVFS came from my friend @robcore)
-A few additional governors and a buggy interactive governor (which is the default xd)
-MTD support for Gingerbread (Thanks Samsung Epic 4G! Although it only works on TouchWiz (I tried it with SL v2 and v2.1 and it works, but under NougatME(CM7) I got no success and loads of segfaults), it works ALMOST perfectly. See bugs for details )
-Some scraped source code from Samsung's FSR I found on the internet (barely compilable, though)

Bugs:
>Gingerbread version:
-IMEI won't appear in the Status screen, I also faced problems with non-working radio for calls. Data works just fine, but calling and receiving calls is unavailable. I believe it is EFS-related. My suggestion is backing up the EFS partition's file structure, then converting it to MTD, then restoring the backup.
-TWRP will crash and panic when exiting, a workaround is force rebooting

>ICS version:
-TWRP will crash and panic when exiting (I believe fixing it here will fix the bug above too)

>KitKat version:
-Flashing images fail randomly, you may also be unable to reboot normally if you do so. I tried addressing this but I couldn't get anywhere.

DOWNLOAD THE SOURCE: Here!

Thanks to:
@robcore - his development on the Snapdragon S4 breathes life on my dev soul!
@zman0900 - I saw his thread on an MTD TW kernel for the Samsung Epic 4G, which led me to believe MTD on GB is possible.

sonickles9

Sep 4, 2014
São Paulo
It sound nice. I'm a newbie developer, I'm building a kernel to fix audio bug on cm9, hope it work. And thank you for the source:):eek::D
Have you gathered enough info on it? I would like to fix it too, but I couldn't get any info on whether if the audio bug is a kernel-side issue or an OS -side issue.
Best of luck for you :)

vdhero

Jun 11, 2017
Rach Gia
Building and fixing

Have you gathered enough info on it? I would like to fix it too, but I couldn't get any info on whether if the audio bug is a kernel-side issue or an OS -side issue.
Best of luck for you :)
I don't sure so I decided to build a kernel from your source and another cm9 version from Mohamad.Afaneh's source and I'll merge the audio on both of them for the best think to fix the bug.Thank you .:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

vdhero

Jun 11, 2017
Rach Gia
Ok. The watson-kernel-bcm21553-src is used with other files?
Because i want to make cm9 mohhamad afaneh optimized version
To make it, you have to sync the cm9 source code then add the files from his github to your localmanifest. This thing is not in anyway related to that except the MTD. This one is a kernel-compile only source

Reactions: Assabtigle

TheRealModder

Sep 2, 2018
Denpasar, Bali
Oh man, i give up. I can't build a kernel from source, but i can modify a kernel.

Can someone give me the zimage for ics Please....

Sent from my Zenfone 2 Laser using XDA Labs

Last edited:

vdhero

Jun 11, 2017
Rach Gia
Or you can give me the extracted boot.img files. (ICS/KK)
I will rebuild it using dsixda's android kitchen.

Sorry but I can't because I'm bored of making ROMs so I switched back to Windows. I'm planning on making a ROM, I'll compile the kernel for you once I get linux installed

TheRealModder

Sep 2, 2018
Denpasar, Bali
Sorry but I can't because I'm bored of making ROMs so I switched back to Windows. I'm planning on making a ROM, I'll compile the kernel for you once I get linux installed
Ok. If you want to install linux i recommend using ubuntu or linux mint.

Ubuntu official website:https://www.ubuntu.com/
Linux mint official website:https://linuxmint.com/

Assabtigle

Nov 16, 2018
Malakand, Bat-Khela
VDHERO Please But a New Galaxy t Gt-S5360 and start the Development!

To make it, you have to sync the cm9 source code then add the files from his github to your localmanifest. This thing is not in anyway related to that except the MTD. This one is a kernel-compile only source
VDHERO Please But a New Galaxy t Gt-S5360 and start the Development!

Assabtigle

Nov 16, 2018
Malakand, Bat-Khela
Be fast bro!!

Sorry but I can't since my sgy is dead for a long time ago. I'll try to make one if I can find one. I've heard that there are some places that sell sgy for about 5 bucks, i'll find one ì possible
BE fast BRO Love U and Your WORK!!
All Your DEVELOPMENT are Faster than The ORIGINAL one Please Buy a NEW one!

and Yeah install the Stock Rom in your Phone by ODIN it will be fine!:laugh: