• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KERNEL][N5] FrancoKernel - r115 - 2nd November - Stock & Oreo

Search This thread

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Nexus 7 (2013)
Try to boost input_boost_ms to 250 or something.

Things seem improved with that generally in Android overall, and it seems to recover a bit faster in Chrome than without.

Easiest way to reproduce the issue: scroll down and try to tap edit post before the xda thread completes loading. It'll hang everything and usually end up bringing up keyboard on the search at the top or open the page list or something stupid. I know part of this is obviously Chrome and Google Keyboard being stupid, and xda's latest forum template being bugged, but r88-89 definitely handle it worse than r87 or r90. r90 with the mentioned tweak seems best overall.

Reactions: thielek

franciscofranco

Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
Carcavelos
Things seem improved with that generally in Android overall, and it seems to recover a bit faster in Chrome than without.

Easiest way to reproduce the issue: scroll down and try to tap edit post before the xda thread completes loading. It'll hang everything and usually end up bringing up keyboard on the search at the top or open the page list or something stupid. I know part of this is obviously Chrome and Google Keyboard being stupid, and xda's latest forum template being bugged, but r88-89 definitely handle it worse than r87 or r90. r90 with the mentioned tweak seems best overall.

Yes that happens because on r88 I fixed a merge derp which was keeping freqs up higher more often than they should that's why you weren't feeling that jank before. So r88 and r89 were functioning as it should, but I guess we should use 250 input_boost_ms as an offset, and that makes it all alright. I'll push r91 with that little change in a couple hours.

franciscofranco

Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
Carcavelos
Cheers man. To be a bit egoistic, I'm happy, since that covers the main kernel related per-app things I'm doing with Tasker.

I've tinkered with some other governor tunables in some apps with Tasker but I'd say that's far from essential, so wouldn't ask you to include stuff like hispeed_freq or go_hispeed_load.

While I'm at the app, I can just give you some feedback on the ux:

• could use some naming filter to quickly find some apps – perhaps like pulling down when you're at the top of the page (like refresh in some other apps)

• would like to see easier which apps are assigned to which profiles – perhaps a toggle "show only assigned apps"; and/or another button on the "manager" tab, which shows a window with on/off check boxes for all apps. That way we can asign apps easier to profiles and see which are currently assigned to what profile.

Neither is a big deal, the ux is very well done. I understand if you don't want to spend time on a feature that's meant to setup once and forget. Just giving feedback, if you're looking for some.

Sent from my Nexus 5

PS: Just one request though, if you're feeling like it – could you add an intent to toggle the per-app profile service? Because whenever I set my "power profile" from tasker to safe some battery on some occasions, I don't want all my normal per-app profiles to kick in and override it.

Something like this?

Attachments

• 090916174140.png
    090916174140.png
    154.3 KB · Views: 796
  • 090916174214.png
    090916174214.png
    104 KB · Views: 780

Arstoien

Oct 31, 2012
Nice. What else do we need?
I think that's good enough. The only other thing I could think of in terms of practical usefulness is an easier way to bulk-assign apps to a profile. If you decide to do that, I'm thinking of a button by the profile name under MANAGER tab (or hidden under long press or something) that brings the same list of apps but with checkboxes. So if I tap on a profile's "bulk add" button, I can simply check all the apps I want to use it. It'd be good to still see which apps are assigned other profiles in that list. That's all I guess, but pretty non-essential compared to the name filter and "apps with profiles" sorting.

The one thing that's left for me to convert to the dark side is a way to not be forced to assign location/wifi/autorotation to an app profile. I think the options are very neat but would be better off somehow differentiated from the cpu-related profiles. Like optional. One way I see this working is simply adding a "don't change" option to the list of each one. Or perhaps some sort of on/off switch that greys them out.

Good job on the update, cheers

Sent from my Nexus 5

Last edited:

franciscofranco

Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
Carcavelos
I think that's good enough. The only other thing I could think of in terms of practical usefulness is an easier way to bulk-assign apps to a profile. If you decide to do that, I'm thinking of a button by the profile name under MANAGER tab (or hidden under long press or something) that brings the same list of apps but with checkboxes. So if I tap on a profile's "bulk add" button, I can simply check all the apps I want to use it. It'd be good to still see which apps are assigned other profiles in that list. That's all I guess, but pretty non-essential compared to the name filter and "apps with profiles" sorting.

The one thing that's left for me to convert to the dark side is a way to not be forced to assign location/wifi/autorotation to an app profile. I think the options are very neat but would be better off somehow differentiated from the cpu-related profiles. Like optional. One way I see this working is simply adding a "don't change" option to the list of each one. Or perhaps some sort of on/off switch that greys them out.

Good job on the update, cheers

Sent from my Nexus 5

I don't think I'll add that bulk thing in the profile manager, although seeming useful I can see it being clunky and easily misused. About the rest, yes, coming up next - but you'll have to edit your profiles after the update is out ;)

bautrupp

Jul 24, 2011
@franciscofranco

Since you are working on the app:
It would be very nice if you could improve some of the descriptions in "Kernel settings".
For example: "Mic volume gain" for n6 --> No description yet
What values are allowed?

Arstoien

Oct 31, 2012
Hi there, what SOT do you usually have on your n5 with this kernel?
If I were to go from 100% to 0%, it'd be about 3–3.5 hrs. That's with fairly heavy load of background apps running. My battery is about 3 years old, estimated to hold ~75% of its original charge.

Although sot between devices/users is fairly inconsistent because of wide variety of factors like ambient temperature, heaviness of usage (ie reading vs gps/camera), coverage and many others.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Reactions: kissme99

Jaizu

Jan 4, 2013
Hi, is your "franco.Kernel updater 2" app translated to spanish? If not, how can I help you to translate it? Thanks for your work!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all.

Compatibility:
    It should work on any rom by following this logic:
    Builds (starting with r65) are Android 5.0 Lollipop only.
    Builds (starting with r72) are Android 5.1 Lollipop only.
    Builds (starting with r76) are Android 6.0 Marshmallow only.
    Builds (starting with r97) are also compatible with Android 7.0 Nougat and Android 7.1 Nougat .
    Builds (starting with r114) are also compatible with Android 8.1.0 Oreo.

This does not work with "CAF" roms.

Download:
    https://francokernel.app

Installation:
    Flash the zip in your recovery
    or
    Auto-flash from Franco Kernel Updater app

Features:
    1 - Legendary battery life
    2 - Flash & forget
    3 - Typical interfaces like display adjustments, sound control, vibration control, and all that boring stuff
    4 - Idle power consumption reduced to the absolute minimum (if you have wakelocks from 3rd party apps you're obviously on your own)
    5 - Support for FKUpdater's Performance Profiles
    6 - Magical support, I'm here every day, checking posts almost hourly, ready to help anytime (well, unless you fail to read the OP, which contains most info you need)
    7 - Seemless integration with my app FKUpdater
    8 - No crap placebo patches, or "magical" optimizations
    9 - Probably more, check my github for all the details - the code speaks for itself

Changelog:
    https://francokernel.app
    Scroll down, choose your device & select the latest release to see the changelog.

Source:
    https://github.com/franciscofranco/hammerhead

Follow me on the interwebs
    Google+
    Twitter

Google+ FK community
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/117966512071636110546

Kernel Manager for Franco Kernel demo

Disclaimer to moderators:
    Slight OT is fine, but when users decide to act stupid they should be dealt with with the appropriate means - its really annoying for me when OT turns crazy. Please put the warning/ban hammer anytime any of you think there's lack of respect and/or too much unwanted OT crap - but if it doesn't meet this criteria let the OT posts alone. Thank you.

Cheers!
    [KERNEL] [GPL] [N5] franco.Kernel - r14

Reserved
    r33 is pushed! Thanks for all the tests during this last 5-6 weeks. Before you ask yes this build is newer than the last r33-test. Most of you that followed the changes know basically what changed, so this is a generic changelog:

* FK does not work with CM or derivates anymore so don't flash if you're in one of those roms. Also make sure you're not undervolting too much, this new build might be a little extra nervous regarding low voltages
    * This is a huge release with more than 1 month of consecutive testing. It contains probably more than 250 new commits which include a lot of patches from Codeaurora with fixes, performance improvements and battery improvements. Subsystems like cpufreq, audio, video, display, thermal, power management etc have been improved. For a complete list of changes please visit my github repository
    * My hotplug driver has been improved as in having a complete new set of tunables for advanced users. Visit my repository for the documentation of each tunable

Enjoy!
    I'd like to wish you all a Merry Christmas, lots of food, kisses, hugs, and quality time.

From my part thanks a lot for the great 2 months since the N5 was released, that, for me, is a great gift, thank you all.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Pushed r37 with exciting features:

* Misc patches with small fixes
    * Remove duplicated GPU frequencies
    * Add minimum backlight tunable /sys/module/parameters/lm3630_bl/min_brightness
    * Add RGB display calibration /sys/devices/platform/kcal_ctrl.0/kcal
    * Merged some memory routine optimizations from Motorola

Cool stuff :)