[KERNEL][N5] FrancoKernel - r115 - 2nd November - Stock & Oreo

Search This thread

geunho

Sep 18, 2011
Los Angeles
twitter.com
Slight OT, is this happening to anyone else?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394577118315.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394577118315.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 822

Fluidification

Feb 26, 2011
My pebble watch tells me when BT disconnects and reconnects, and on r34, it happens every 10min-1 hr. It disconnects and reconnects in a couple seconds. But after the cycle happens 2-5 times, everything acts screwy and I have to restart the phone otherwise my watch will connect but not receive any data. I moved back to R31 for now.

chikimonke

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 12, 2010
Santa Clara, CA
My pebble watch tells me when BT disconnects and reconnects, and on r34, it happens every 10min-1 hr. It disconnects and reconnects in a couple seconds. But after the cycle happens 2-5 times, everything acts screwy and I have to restart the phone otherwise my watch will connect but not receive any data. I moved back to R31 for now.

Yup, same thing here. I posted a log a few pages back when the BT disconnected.

Edward Stanbury

Dec 8, 2011
Paraparaumu Beach, Kapiti
@vomer thanks for your settings bro getting great performance and battery life balance ! :)

Edit: other pics don't wanna go up :( but I got 20hrs up time mix of WiFi and 3g

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1394581163967.jpg
    1394581163967.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 892
Last edited:
Reactions: vomer

franciscofranco

Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
Carcavelos
Thank you. So if r35 is good, then will that be our last release for awhile until Google decides to push something out? Not complaining, just curious.

Probably not. We'll see :)

The battery life on 34 is really unparalleled. Even the latent drain overnight is something as well. Only problem that I had (notice tense there) was redraws. All fine until I got one and then after that they were every time I backed out off an app. I wiped cache and a simple reboot here and there, but once I got one it was a cascading effect until I either rebooted or cleared cache.

Sucks because 34 is really a fluid kernel (aside from the auto-brightness which I don't use and BT which I use very sparingly). No UV at all and just using stock kernel settings. Had to go back to 32 for the time being. Even tried to put Apex in memory and still redraws. Sadpanda.jpg

Redraws on the browser or on other apps?

@franciscofranco, any thoughts on what might be causing the bluetooth le disconnects? (primarily seen with those who have Pebble smart watches)

Yes I have a couple ideas!

@franciscofranco New release of android? that can take quite a while or what? or are u not sharing something?(A)

I don't know anything, I'm just guessing.

Yeah, I just got my Pebble and this issue has caused my to stop using the kernel for the time being. I get zero disconnects using the stock Slim kernel and Faux, so it seems that it points to something in this kernel. @franciscofranco, I know you've said in the past that you don't touch the BT stuff for your kernel, so I have to imagine it's something else inadvertently causing the issue. Is it possible one of the CAF power management merges is putting the BT in a low power state or something? Maybe it's not compatible with BT LE and therefore it doesn't think there's enough activity to keep the connection fully active? But then as soon as it drops, the watch speaks up again and BT is powered back up? The disconnects seem to happen during longer periods of inactivity, which is what's leading me to my rambling hypothesis. I'll load up r34 again and see if I can get a log of the disconnect. Tzfardaya, you should too.

I have an idea why that is happening.

@franciscofranco On the latest FKU beta, I can't seem to set the download path. I've tried long pressing everything I can think of, and nothing seems to be sticking. Can anyone else confirm this?

In the update I got a couple hours ago,
App Settings -> ZIPs download path -> (short click at flashing bar.... File Manager!!)

Yay! Even though app says use long press.

edit: ack! spoke too soon. Can't get it to pick a directory.
edit again: Pick a file in the directory. Long press on the name that comes up to delete the name of the file. The directory remains. Note that the directory is used correctly, but doesn't show up next time.

Yes that feature is broken for now. I started to work on it then I didn't finish it on time for the beta. I'll get it finished and release production v11.4 soon!

Great! However do you think to look into the audio problems? (glitches or headphones that stop working), your kernel is really great....i know that i can reboot when i have the audio problem but it really bothers me when i need to listen music only for 10 minutes or so!

I was in a 6 hour (3h each way) train trip this weekend. Through the trip I listened to music with my Apple earbuds (I like them for travelling, way better than to use my AKG K550) and while my connection was always being lost, migrating to and from Wi-Fi I haven't got a SINGLE audio problem and I tested with all audio volumes. I simply cannot reproduce! Not saying that there isn't an issue, but I've tried everything and I can't reproduce!

Latest beta fku version, anyone else finding their min CPU speed has increased on its own for no reason? Iv caught min at 1036mhz twice now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

?

I have no clue, I use my app all the time and I never saw such a thing happening. Can you reproduce it again and give me a heads up on how to reproduce?

@franciscofranco - Hey Franco. You've probably heard this a dozen times already, but would you please implement frandom support in your r35 release? Virtually every newest AOSP rom nightly has switched to frandom, and it has pretty much rendered your r34 kernel null, void, and useless.>< It's causing many people to jump ship and flash Elemental .32 like hot cakes. = (

sent from the back of a prancing, magical unicorn.

You do know that those random number generators are almost not used at all? There was a post sometime from a Google employee showing that barely nothing on Android uses /dev/random and all the derivates.

Bring me conclusive tests that using frandom gives you any real world benefits (which I doubt you'll find) and I'll consider it. Besides frandom is not upstreamed, which also raises my eyebrow.

I'm using this kernel for a week by now, and I'm absolutely satisfied with the battery life.
On the other hand, my phone is overheating , when I play some bigger games like Asphalt 8, it even reboots itself sometimes.
Can I fix this issue somehow?

I've played games like Beach Buggy (pretty demanding) for hours and my device never gets hotter than 75C. You can decrease the thermal threshold to 65ºC or something. I cannot reproduce and I've ran my devices against Stability Tests all the time to test the throttle code.

My phone is reboots while transfering large file via Airdroid (4.5GB file) on 5GHz band.3 times rebooted.Can someone reproduce the test if this is a kernel problem?

Logs?

For those of you with sound clipping or distortion the following was posted over at SlimKat with some secondary verified results:

"Install Viper4Android, open app then install its driver at Super Quality, reboot. Then delete DSPManager.apk [... snip ....] May need to reboot again but Viper should be your default EQ now.

I can confirm there is no more audio clipping at high volumes. DSP Manager just does not work well with the Nexus 5. Viper is much more tweakable anyway."

Goodluck.

Good info!

Hey @franciscofranco.

You may be unaware of the com.android.phone force close issue some people are seeing recently... (see the exchange quoted below or here in the Vanir thread)

Thanks for the awesome work as always!

-omni

Thanks, I'll add the jar to the bootclasspath.

Slight OT, is this happening to anyone else?

Whoa! Never seen that before even when my apps are all broken on my local tests.

Tzfardaya

Sep 22, 2012
Calgary
Sorry for being a little bit un-active lately, I've been truthfully busy with my new app (Per-App Modes) and with FKU.
No worries boss, we still love you. :p
We just figured you were still recovering from your weekend with the missus...

@franciscofranco - No problem... I appreciate you taking thousands of people's droids to the next level!

Impolite people ( @Tzfardaya @justibasa @Enddo):
Was that so hard? Be respectful. These forums are for technology, not flaming.

-omni

I was being respectful, in franco's absence I pointed you to the only other source of info we had... at no point was I insulting, derogatory, or trailing flame/troll-bait... Yet for all of that I was called sarcastic... :(

Reactions: Enddo

Wallace84

Aug 28, 2009
Setup Franco Kernel

Hi all,
i've just unlock my nexus 5 (rom stock), change bootloader and install Franco kernel r34.

I also installed Franco kernel Updater but... now?

How can i configure it?

I would like to improve 2 setups: one for battery saving, improve camera and sound, an other for best performance in Antutu bench; but i'm not capable...

There is a guide to set up correctly Franco Kernel?

Thanks

Tzfardaya

Sep 22, 2012
Calgary
Hi all,
i've just unlock my nexus 5 (rom stock), change bootloader and install Franco kernel r34.

I also installed Franco kernel Updater but... now?

How can i configure it?

I would like to improve 2 setups: one for battery saving, improve camera and sound, an other for best performance in Antutu bench; but i'm not capable...

There is a guide to set up correctly Franco Kernel?

Thanks

Franco ships a good balance of battery/performance, for better battery, take a look @vomer's signature, I believe @The Gingerbread Man also has good battery settings in his signature...

TGB also has a great franco learning thread here.

omni_angel7

Mar 9, 2011
Orlando
I was being respectful, in franco's absence I pointed you to the only other source of info we had... at no point was I insulting, derogatory, or trailing flame/troll-bait... Yet for all of that I was called sarcastic... :(

Not so much you as the others. Sorry I overreacted. Was a little bit disappointing to get so much negative feedback within 5 minutes of attempting to contribute. Anyway... let's drop this and get back to our awesome phones lol.

amphi66

Dec 17, 2010
PacNW
Google Pixel 4a
Google Pixel 7
I've had BT stick on occasion... Either on and won't turn off, or off and won't turn on... I find setting airplane mode for a minute or two helps, or a reboot will always unstuck it for me.. I'm on stock too..

Your welcome.

r33 and r34 have Bluetooth disconnection issues, but not for everyone

I've had issues where it shows good BT connection to the Toyota, but will not connect to actually make a call. (R34 & R34 test). Works fine after reboot.

IRX120

May 28, 2012
Atlanta
Just got my n5, this is the first thing I flashed and I'm loving it so far, just it seems the auto brightness doesn't work well, and I can't adjust gama values from trickster mod.

Otherwise seems to be an awesome kernel.

occtec

Dec 9, 2012
South Australia
Just got my n5, this is the first thing I flashed and I'm loving it so far, just it seems the auto brightness doesn't work well, and I can't adjust gama values from trickster mod.

Auto brightness will be fixed in next update r35 ;)

franciscofranco

Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
Carcavelos

Auto-brightness is a little bit too dark at this point, will be a little higher on r35. Trickster problems you have to take it to their team, color adjustments work just fine on my app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all.

Compatibility:
    It should work on any rom by following this logic:
    Builds (starting with r65) are Android 5.0 Lollipop only.
    Builds (starting with r72) are Android 5.1 Lollipop only.
    Builds (starting with r76) are Android 6.0 Marshmallow only.
    Builds (starting with r97) are also compatible with Android 7.0 Nougat and Android 7.1 Nougat .
    Builds (starting with r114) are also compatible with Android 8.1.0 Oreo.

This does not work with "CAF" roms.

Download:
    https://francokernel.app

Installation:
    Flash the zip in your recovery
    or
    Auto-flash from Franco Kernel Updater app

Features:
    1 - Legendary battery life
    2 - Flash & forget
    3 - Typical interfaces like display adjustments, sound control, vibration control, and all that boring stuff
    4 - Idle power consumption reduced to the absolute minimum (if you have wakelocks from 3rd party apps you're obviously on your own)
    5 - Support for FKUpdater's Performance Profiles
    6 - Magical support, I'm here every day, checking posts almost hourly, ready to help anytime (well, unless you fail to read the OP, which contains most info you need)
    7 - Seemless integration with my app FKUpdater
    8 - No crap placebo patches, or "magical" optimizations
    9 - Probably more, check my github for all the details - the code speaks for itself

Changelog:
    https://francokernel.app
    Scroll down, choose your device & select the latest release to see the changelog.

Source:
    https://github.com/franciscofranco/hammerhead

Follow me on the interwebs
    Google+
    Twitter

Google+ FK community
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/117966512071636110546

Kernel Manager for Franco Kernel demo

Disclaimer to moderators:
    Slight OT is fine, but when users decide to act stupid they should be dealt with with the appropriate means - its really annoying for me when OT turns crazy. Please put the warning/ban hammer anytime any of you think there's lack of respect and/or too much unwanted OT crap - but if it doesn't meet this criteria let the OT posts alone. Thank you.

Cheers!
    [KERNEL] [GPL] [N5] franco.Kernel - r14

Reserved
    r33 is pushed! Thanks for all the tests during this last 5-6 weeks. Before you ask yes this build is newer than the last r33-test. Most of you that followed the changes know basically what changed, so this is a generic changelog:

* FK does not work with CM or derivates anymore so don't flash if you're in one of those roms. Also make sure you're not undervolting too much, this new build might be a little extra nervous regarding low voltages
    * This is a huge release with more than 1 month of consecutive testing. It contains probably more than 250 new commits which include a lot of patches from Codeaurora with fixes, performance improvements and battery improvements. Subsystems like cpufreq, audio, video, display, thermal, power management etc have been improved. For a complete list of changes please visit my github repository
    * My hotplug driver has been improved as in having a complete new set of tunables for advanced users. Visit my repository for the documentation of each tunable

Enjoy!
    I'd like to wish you all a Merry Christmas, lots of food, kisses, hugs, and quality time.

From my part thanks a lot for the great 2 months since the N5 was released, that, for me, is a great gift, thank you all.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Pushed r37 with exciting features:

* Misc patches with small fixes
    * Remove duplicated GPU frequencies
    * Add minimum backlight tunable /sys/module/parameters/lm3630_bl/min_brightness
    * Add RGB display calibration /sys/devices/platform/kcal_ctrl.0/kcal
    * Merged some memory routine optimizations from Motorola

Cool stuff :)