[KERNEL][N5X] Zest Kernel reBORN 🍋 - December - Oreo & Pie

Which (if any) toolchain should I change to?

• Uber

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Saber

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Linaro

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Boosted

• Hyper

• Keep P-tagged GCC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
usz12P2.jpg

Code:
*** Disclamer

Please behave responsibly and avoid thermonuclear war. I am
not responsible for any bricked devices, etc.
Introduction
This is Zest Kernel. It's an optimized kernel for our device which includes a few nifty features. Built, on every security update, you'll have the best of the best. Features will be listed below and shared, to the most of my ability, across all my supported devices. This isn't just my kernel it's yours too - request any features you like and I'll try to add them in. However, I'm also busy with studies so please don't ask for dumb stuff.
Images
Possibly the fastest kernel for our device, here's an AnTuTu benchmark from a fellow user on BLOD (four cores only):

98LklQM.jpg
Features
  • Built on UBERnaro toolchain
  • PaX security commits
  • DTS Android port commits
  • @franciscofranco 's battery optimizations
  • @UltraM8 's SLIMBUS modifications
  • High tickrate to avoid jitter
  • My hi-res audio backports
  • Fauxsound audio gain control
  • Kali Netunter HID and aircrack-ng support
  • Backported features for NexusPieX
Installation instructions
* Flash via TWRP, or Franco Kernel Manager
* Enjoy!
Download
Latest is on my website, all versions available at ftp://ftp.lasterhub.me.
FAQ
Special Thanks To
Code:
* @franciscofranco for his kernel base
* @Skittles9823 for LMK values

XDA:DevDB Information
Zest Kernel Projecc, Kernel for the LG Nexus 5X

Contributors
LazerL0rd
Source Code: https://gitlab.com/ZKP/bullhead

Kernel Special Features: Fastest kernel for the Nexus 5X (bullhead)

Version Information

Created 2018-03-29
Last Updated 2019-02-16

Last edited:
G

GuestK00141

It looks really interesting, will test it right now.
For feature request I will ask only one thing : more battery as it's the main problem of this device , the next must come after.
Thanks for your work and be brave for your studies!

Ryder.

Feb 4, 2016
No, would you like that though? I can try include in the next release.

Personally, I find GPU Performance Profiel to be sufficient. You can enable in a Kernel Manager I advise FKM (franco kernel manager) as my kernel supports his performance profiles.

Yes, i would like that, for gaming. I prefer only the overclock, not a performance profile

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
Yes, i would like that, for gaming. I prefer only the overclock, not a performance profile
Well there's more than one factor when gaming, CPU also counts. I was advised by @frap129 not to OC the graphics as it'll cause too many hearing issues. The OC'd CPU may improve your gaming.

Any chance to add sweep or double tap to lock screen? thx
I can try in the next beta update however personally I strongly dislike this feature.

Is it OC by default or just possible to OC. Would rather appreciate if on default clocks as default.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

Aaand, thanks a ton for giving more hope and support for our beloved Bull.
The OC clocks are set if you use the performance profile within the governor. But during the normal (balanced) profile the only OC bit is maximum clock speed. This can of course be overrided via a Kernel Manager but I'd advise for it to be left.
And, your welcome ?

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
LG Nexus 5X
First of all, just want to thank you for this kernel. Seems to be running extremely well so very nice job on this. Much appreciated :good::)

I have 2 questions/requests:

1. I noticed that in the little cluster ""hispeed_freq" is set to 0. I just wanted to confirm that this is correct since I've never seen this set to 0 before in any profile that I can recall.
2. If you haven't already, could you please add disable force encryption to the kernel? I didn't see this listed in the posted features. Thank you.

Thanks again for this kernel. Really liking it a lot so far :cool:

Last edited:

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
First of all, just want to thank you for this kernel. Seems to be running extremely well so very nice job on this. Much appreciated :good::)

I have 2 questions/requests:

1. I noticed that in the little cluster ""hispeed_freq" is set to 0. I just wanted to confirm that this is correct since I've never seen this set to 0 before in any profile that I can recall.
2. If you haven't already, could you please add disable force encryption to the kernel? I didn't see this listed in the posted features. Thank you.

Thanks again for this kernel. Really liking it a lot so far :cool:
1) Yeah, it's meant to be like that. My kernel uses a Franco-style governor profile with my own changes for performance. There are many different ways to use governor profils and this style uses input as a base to up the CPU.

2) I believe forced encryption is disabled already, I can add it to the features list. For me it's more of a security flaw than a feature though, lol.

Benjamin_L

Nov 30, 2010
2) I believe forced encryption is disabled already, I can add it to the features list. For me it's more of a security flaw than a feature though, lol.
Yeah I never understood why you would want to not use encryption. Benchmarks even show there is no real life advantage in speed so you just lose security.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
LG Nexus 5X
1) Yeah, it's meant to be like that. My kernel uses a Franco-style governor profile with my own changes for performance. There are many different ways to use governor profils and this style uses input as a base to up the CPU.

1) Thanks for the clarification
2) I actually agree :).

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
@LazerL0rd - One question. By "smoother LED notifier" do you mean the LED animation that jollakernel has which starts sloooowly from nothing to the right color? I'm asking because I dislike jolla's (and Shadow Kernel's) implementation. I like it as shown in this video which is how past kernels such as Phasma had it.

I couldn't find the commit for Phasma's one but if you could provide it for me I'll have a look. I have mine based off jolla's one but I changed it a bit to be less slow.

Last edited:
Reactions: nirogu325

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    usz12P2.jpg

Code:
    *** Disclamer

Please behave responsibly and avoid thermonuclear war. I am
    not responsible for any bricked devices, etc.
    Introduction
    This is Zest Kernel. It's an optimized kernel for our device which includes a few nifty features. Built, on every security update, you'll have the best of the best. Features will be listed below and shared, to the most of my ability, across all my supported devices. This isn't just my kernel it's yours too - request any features you like and I'll try to add them in. However, I'm also busy with studies so please don't ask for dumb stuff.
    Images
    Possibly the fastest kernel for our device, here's an AnTuTu benchmark from a fellow user on BLOD (four cores only):

98LklQM.jpg
    Features
    • Built on UBERnaro toolchain
    • PaX security commits
    • DTS Android port commits
    • @franciscofranco 's battery optimizations
    • @UltraM8 's SLIMBUS modifications
    • High tickrate to avoid jitter
    • My hi-res audio backports
    • Fauxsound audio gain control
    • Kali Netunter HID and aircrack-ng support
    • Backported features for NexusPieX
    Installation instructions
    * Flash via TWRP, or Franco Kernel Manager
    * Enjoy!
    Download
    Latest is on my website, all versions available at ftp://ftp.lasterhub.me.
    FAQ
    Special Thanks To
    Code:
    * @franciscofranco for his kernel base
    * @Skittles9823 for LMK values

XDA:DevDB Information
    Zest Kernel Projecc, Kernel for the LG Nexus 5X

Contributors
    LazerL0rd
    Source Code: https://gitlab.com/ZKP/bullhead

Kernel Special Features: Fastest kernel for the Nexus 5X (bullhead)

Version Information

Created 2018-03-29
    Last Updated 2019-02-16
    New UPDATE guys!!

Download Link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=29906 (also in Downloads section)

Changelog:
    Code:
    (Well this one is heavy)
    [LIST][*]New DTS Commits
    [*]SU Protection
    [*]Signed Modules
    [*]Clean Rebase
    [*]End of #DiscoLED
    [*]June Security Patches
    [*]MBHC Driver
    [*]AAudio support (for 8.1 & P)
    [*]Less Jitter (config hz 1000)
    [*]new toolchain :P[/LIST]
    Update

New update released! Zip is here and in downloads section as usual.

Changelog:
    Code:
    [LIST][*]Meltdown patches
    [*]Specture followup patch
    [*]Sony jack driver
    [*]Sequential read optimised
    [*]Memory improvements in standby
    [*]Cleaning commits[/LIST]
    First of all, it's highly important because if the rules of the GPLv2 weren't followed as written then this forum would not exist, much less this thread.

The source has to be published at an announced site before publication and you are free to read the GPLv2 rule that I linked to. I don't think that making up something to distract from the actual license rules is helpful and you are quite clearly wrong on this one, you have to publish the code before release.

The forum in and of itself is in violation of the GPLv2 copyright protections which means that a report to the FSF will eventually be inevitable. Especially since the moderators refuse to follow their own rules based on the licenses and give leniency to this kind of crap.

Some people might think that this is just silly business but in reality this is no different from publishing any other licensed code. Open Source doesn't mean "take it and don't pay it forward" but rather the exact opposite. If you don't like the license you are free to just not publish your code or not use the code of others who HAVE actually followed the licensing rules of the code.

WRONG.

Here is the official stance from GPL.

The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is up to you.

There is NO requirement for source being uploaded before or after public release. The core requirement is that the person must make his changes open source if/when requested

Yeah, you do that, you report my post for pushing on the only thing that makes this forum be at all.

If others had behaved like that this kernel wouldn't exist, the Linux kernel would be a complete joke and FLOSS would be dead in the water so no Android either.

OEMs are worst GPL offenders. And honestly Stallman doesn't consider Android Libre. A bulk on Android is licensed under Apache 2.0. Just the kernel is under GPL v2.
    An interesting titbit. iOS kernel is open source. Just that you can't install it on any device.

How hard is it to NOT delete your source code? Does it take a lot out of your daily life to NOT delete your source code?

If there is a next time, hopefully the moderators that do shut down various kernels and threads based on the rules stickied at the top of this forum might just note that all the reports to the FSF could be adding up to a point where this entire forum is shut down.

Would that amuse you?

Moderators don't go on shutting down threads just because kernel developers are a bit late. We do ensure a source and binary parity and we do provide ample time to fix the sources. However repeat offenders do get their threads closed.

Also FSF is more interested in making things open source rather than shutting things down. Shutting down things for slightest infractions is restrictive philosophy. Not really inline with what FSF does.

Your post did amuse me. Just don't make it a habit.
    New update! 50% better performance, 60% better thermal response, camera changes to 16MP (full sensor support), and experimental reviving of bootloop devices (I use a method which heats the chip very high on boot to stick the big core back on)!

Download here: https://bit.ly/2pVQ65n
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone