[KERNEL][N5X] Zest Kernel reBORN 🍋 - December - Oreo & Pie

Which (if any) toolchain should I change to?

• Uber

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Saber

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Linaro

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Boosted

• Hyper

• Keep P-tagged GCC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

UsPdSr

Sep 26, 2016
San Hackàr
@UsPdSr, Nali is ready for testing soon. Zest will be redone for all devices in the coming weeks with a refresh, and a ROM just got released :).

My exams are over for this college year so I got about 3 weeks to chuck all this stuff out.

I hope you owned them'.

;)

The news about Nali sound great and I look quite forward to Zest's update & am definitely not alone.

Reactions: LazerL0rd

Firerust

Jul 14, 2019
Page not available

@UsPdSr, Nali is ready for testing soon. Zest will be redone for all devices in the coming weeks with a refresh, and a ROM just got released :).

My exams are over for this college year so I got about 3 weeks to chuck all this stuff out.

Hey bro, I wanna test your kernel, but the page isn't available. I like the HID and monitor mode features with long lasting battery so this kernel looks pretty good.

UsPdSr

Sep 26, 2016
San Hackàr
Your site, lasterhub.me, appears to be unreachable.

Hm, I assume that it's maybe correlated to the restructure of Nali and his plans to revise his kernel, as well.

If you want, could I upload the kernel(including) his last one; but as he and myself wrote before, are they limited in regard to the pen-testing ability, for example; the addition of other chipsets).
If that is something, which isn't important then let me know.

I have the last 4-6 kernel somewhere on some of my Usb-sticks, as far as I recall.

Send me a post, if you would like, that they're being uploaded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Limitscrw

UsPdSr

Sep 26, 2016
San Hackàr
Is this for Oreo or Pie? Could you upload the Oreo one as well, please?

It is compatible with Oreo.

I solely used Oreo-based roms for bullhead, so I can't tell you if it's for Pie rom's, as well.

I have to disappoint you, guyz..I sold the 5x a week ago and unfortunately deleted all the downloaded kernel from LazerL0rd yesterday.

Bad timing. :rolleyes:

The device was completely fine, but I used it exclusively in my job, for it's Kali Nethunter capabilities.

I would strongly advise against flashing Pie roms anyhow;especially the entire fleet of unknown custom roms, which is lately to find here.

(Do yourself a favour and keep a proper distance.)

They are experimental, therefore unstable and not at all intended for this device.

I own a Nexus 6p, as well as the Nexus 5 (hammerhead) and would give you the same advice for those devices.

Be happy if you're not affected by BLOD (so far).

It is solely from a technical point of view, unadvisable to install this kind of software.

-----------

So, to answer your question.

You can flash this great kernel definitely with stock and custom Oreo roms.. ;)

All the best to you, guyz.

Thank you @LazerL0rd, mate.

You have to join us on gitlab (I know you are there anyway, but rather as user and fellow dev) ;) - the Nethunter user are very looking forward for a awakening of Nali.

The actual release has some problems with Pie and many user have problems with aatari's module for some reason.

I hope you haven't abandoned this project and/or have currently troubles and are well and healthy. :confused:

All the best to you and the entire bullhe4der's!

:highfive:

Last edited:

UsPdSr

Sep 26, 2016
San Hackàr
@LazerL0rd

Hey, man!

I didn't read anything since June or July from your big brain or sth. eloquent.

Even though we aren't that close, I hope you are well.

If you are coming across this strange place, you have to click a couple of times until you arrive at a much stranger place aka [email protected]

There are a couple of user and developer who are very interested in your nifty Module.

Since I tried the unofficial Kali module I wouldn't dare to even touch another of this horrible things again.*

> sudo rm - rf o/

Enough, geeked.

I hope that you are well and healthy and look very much forward to hearing from you soon!

*I wanted to revoke this in respect of the developer. That sounded less harsh at the time I wrote this (yea, I know..hard to believe, but true). :(

Last edited:

UsPdSr

Sep 26, 2016
San Hackàr
Good morning to all the zesty kernel is compatible completely with nethunter or only in part?
Thanks

Greetings! :)

LazerL0rd's kernel, named Zest_, qualifies in theory as a kernel for Offensive's "Kali Nethunter" project., which means, that the features are the same as the one's you can find in Kali Nethunter's kernel repo.

I would recommend that you install the firmware module in addition, specifically for Nethunter, which can be found in Magisk download section.

Here the link to the kernel, which I thank God, did upload onto Xda's server >

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/orig-development/oreo-zest-kernel-t3770459/post79967668

*If you encounter problems with the installation of the chroot or another problem, can you ask me gladly for support. :)

* As long as the requests are polite and I don't receive any requests like 'can you hack my girlfriend's facebook account..? - I pay you $$$..! "

;)

Best regards

Last edited:
Reactions: blizar_

blizar_

Aug 28, 2010
Hi ... thanks for the reply! I wanted to ask you I mount a Custom Rom LineageOS15.1 and as root I don't use Magisk but the tool addonsu.zip better to use Magisk ...?!? Can I use Magisk with LineageOS15.1 ...?!? ... is the Zesty kernel still supported or is the project abandoned ...?!? Thank you!

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5X utilizzando Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Greetings! :)

LazerL0rd's kernel, named Zest_, qualifies in theory as a kernel for Offensive's "Kali Nethunter" project., which means, that the features are the same as the one's you can find in Kali Nethunter's kernel repo.

I would recommend that you install the firmware module in addition, specifically for Nethunter, which can be found in Magisk download section.

Here the link to the kernel, which I thank God, did upload onto Xda's server >

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/orig-development/oreo-zest-kernel-t3770459/post79967668

*If you encounter problems with the installation of the chroot or another problem, can you ask me gladly for support. :)

* As long as the requests are polite and I don't receive any requests like 'can you hack my girlfriend's facebook account..? - I pay you $$$..! "

;)

Best regards
Hi ... thanks for the reply! I wanted to ask you I mount a Custom Rom LineageOS15.1 and as root I don't use Magisk but the tool addonsu.zip better to use Magisk ...?!? Can I use Magisk with LineageOS15.1 ...?!? ... is the Zesty kernel still supported or is the project abandoned ...?!? Thank you!

UsPdSr

Sep 26, 2016
San Hackàr

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

The kernel is compatible with any Oreo based custom rom for the 5x.

Therefore should LineageOS working.

You can forego the installation of the addonsu, as Magisk is completely sufficient.

Last I heard the support of same will be dropped by the LineageOS-team any time soon.

The development for this kernel seems unfortunately be on hold.

I am not that much of a fan of LineageOS, in particular in regard to the restrictions of Nethunter's installation.This is a question of taste, but maybe you'll find a other Lineage-based rom, which you might like.

I hope I could help.

Best regards :)

blizar_

Aug 28, 2010
The kernel is compatible with any Oreo based custom rom for the 5x.

Therefore should LineageOS working.

You can forego the installation of the addonsu, as Magisk is completely sufficient.

Last I heard the support of same will be dropped by the LineageOS-team any time soon.

The development for this kernel seems unfortunately be on hold.

I am not that much of a fan of LineageOS, in particular in regard to the restrictions of Nethunter's installation.This is a question of taste, but maybe you'll find a other Lineage-based rom, which you might like.

I hope I could help.

Best regards :)
Hello ... very interesting to talk to you I would like to take advantage ... on the net I found LK_kernel.zip and it seems to be very similar if not the same as Zesty but they are not the same it seems to have fewer implementations ... what can you tell me about it ... ?!? Have you talked about restrictions in LineageOS with Nethunter could you give me some more info about it ...?!? Thank you for taking the time! Thanks again!

UsPdSr

Sep 26, 2016
San Hackàr
Hello ... very interesting to talk to you I would like to take advantage ... on the net I found LK_kernel.zip and it seems to be very similar if not the same as Zesty but they are not the same it seems to have fewer implementations ... what can you tell me about it ... ?!? Have you talked about restrictions in LineageOS with Nethunter could you give me some more info about it ...?!? Thank you for taking the time! Thanks again!

You can use every rom including Pie - with Lineage based roms or stock.

In this regard have you a big selection, although I don't recommned anythinger higher than Oreo, in regard to BLOD and similar deficits.

I would suggest you try the kernel by LazerL0rd and the official one by Offensive for Oreo as well.
If you have any issues to get the installer ready, send me a quote and I can gladly build one and and upload it.

Best regards

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    usz12P2.jpg

Code:
    *** Disclamer

Please behave responsibly and avoid thermonuclear war. I am
    not responsible for any bricked devices, etc.
    Introduction
    This is Zest Kernel. It's an optimized kernel for our device which includes a few nifty features. Built, on every security update, you'll have the best of the best. Features will be listed below and shared, to the most of my ability, across all my supported devices. This isn't just my kernel it's yours too - request any features you like and I'll try to add them in. However, I'm also busy with studies so please don't ask for dumb stuff.
    Images
    Possibly the fastest kernel for our device, here's an AnTuTu benchmark from a fellow user on BLOD (four cores only):

98LklQM.jpg
    Features
    • Built on UBERnaro toolchain
    • PaX security commits
    • DTS Android port commits
    • @franciscofranco 's battery optimizations
    • @UltraM8 's SLIMBUS modifications
    • High tickrate to avoid jitter
    • My hi-res audio backports
    • Fauxsound audio gain control
    • Kali Netunter HID and aircrack-ng support
    • Backported features for NexusPieX
    Installation instructions
    * Flash via TWRP, or Franco Kernel Manager
    * Enjoy!
    Download
    Latest is on my website, all versions available at ftp://ftp.lasterhub.me.
    FAQ
    Special Thanks To
    Code:
    * @franciscofranco for his kernel base
    * @Skittles9823 for LMK values

XDA:DevDB Information
    Zest Kernel Projecc, Kernel for the LG Nexus 5X

Contributors
    LazerL0rd
    Source Code: https://gitlab.com/ZKP/bullhead

Kernel Special Features: Fastest kernel for the Nexus 5X (bullhead)

Version Information

Created 2018-03-29
    Last Updated 2019-02-16
    New UPDATE guys!!

Download Link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=29906 (also in Downloads section)

Changelog:
    Code:
    (Well this one is heavy)
    [LIST][*]New DTS Commits
    [*]SU Protection
    [*]Signed Modules
    [*]Clean Rebase
    [*]End of #DiscoLED
    [*]June Security Patches
    [*]MBHC Driver
    [*]AAudio support (for 8.1 & P)
    [*]Less Jitter (config hz 1000)
    [*]new toolchain :P[/LIST]
    Update

New update released! Zip is here and in downloads section as usual.

Changelog:
    Code:
    [LIST][*]Meltdown patches
    [*]Specture followup patch
    [*]Sony jack driver
    [*]Sequential read optimised
    [*]Memory improvements in standby
    [*]Cleaning commits[/LIST]
    First of all, it's highly important because if the rules of the GPLv2 weren't followed as written then this forum would not exist, much less this thread.

The source has to be published at an announced site before publication and you are free to read the GPLv2 rule that I linked to. I don't think that making up something to distract from the actual license rules is helpful and you are quite clearly wrong on this one, you have to publish the code before release.

The forum in and of itself is in violation of the GPLv2 copyright protections which means that a report to the FSF will eventually be inevitable. Especially since the moderators refuse to follow their own rules based on the licenses and give leniency to this kind of crap.

Some people might think that this is just silly business but in reality this is no different from publishing any other licensed code. Open Source doesn't mean "take it and don't pay it forward" but rather the exact opposite. If you don't like the license you are free to just not publish your code or not use the code of others who HAVE actually followed the licensing rules of the code.

WRONG.

Here is the official stance from GPL.

The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is up to you.

There is NO requirement for source being uploaded before or after public release. The core requirement is that the person must make his changes open source if/when requested

Yeah, you do that, you report my post for pushing on the only thing that makes this forum be at all.

If others had behaved like that this kernel wouldn't exist, the Linux kernel would be a complete joke and FLOSS would be dead in the water so no Android either.

OEMs are worst GPL offenders. And honestly Stallman doesn't consider Android Libre. A bulk on Android is licensed under Apache 2.0. Just the kernel is under GPL v2.
    An interesting titbit. iOS kernel is open source. Just that you can't install it on any device.

How hard is it to NOT delete your source code? Does it take a lot out of your daily life to NOT delete your source code?

If there is a next time, hopefully the moderators that do shut down various kernels and threads based on the rules stickied at the top of this forum might just note that all the reports to the FSF could be adding up to a point where this entire forum is shut down.

Would that amuse you?

Moderators don't go on shutting down threads just because kernel developers are a bit late. We do ensure a source and binary parity and we do provide ample time to fix the sources. However repeat offenders do get their threads closed.

Also FSF is more interested in making things open source rather than shutting things down. Shutting down things for slightest infractions is restrictive philosophy. Not really inline with what FSF does.

Your post did amuse me. Just don't make it a habit.
    New update! 50% better performance, 60% better thermal response, camera changes to 16MP (full sensor support), and experimental reviving of bootloop devices (I use a method which heats the chip very high on boot to stick the big core back on)!

Download here: https://bit.ly/2pVQ65n
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone