[KERNEL][N5X] Zest Kernel reBORN 🍋 - December - Oreo & Pie

Which (if any) toolchain should I change to?

• Uber

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Saber

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Linaro

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Boosted

• Hyper

• Keep P-tagged GCC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev

vdhero

Jun 11, 2017
Rach Gia
I'm using this kernel with Pixel Experience and I must say that this kernel is great. The performance is hugely improved. Until recently, I started using surround sound mod. I noticed that the speakers aren't playing in the correct position and I wanted to correct it. But I have no idea how. I asked bangprovn on Facebook and he told me to ask you about this. Did you modify anything in the sound folder? could you but somehow change the order of the speakers, please?

Reactions: LazerL0rd

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
I'm using this kernel with Pixel Experience and I must say that this kernel is great. The performance is hugely improved. Until recently, I started using surround sound mod. I noticed that the speakers aren't playing in the correct position and I wanted to correct it. But I have no idea how. I asked bangprovn on Facebook and he told me to ask you about this. Did you modify anything in the sound folder? could you but somehow change the order of the speakers, please?

I don't think my changes could cause that, but there is a heavy modification to stock audio.

The surround sound mod replaces the mixer files, am I correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: vdhero

jeremywh7

Sep 16, 2013
Indy
Samsung Galaxy S5
Moto X4
Trying this on PixelExperience Oreo (2019-01-25 build)...after booting up, home/launcher kept resetting every few seconds (no error message, just started loading widgets, then would go blank and start over). After turning the screen off for several minutes, it seems fine. Anyone else seen this? Anyway, thanks @LazerL0rd!

mperezm77

Apr 15, 2008
OnePlus 8T
Trying this on PixelExperience Oreo (2019-01-25 build)...after booting up, home/launcher kept resetting every few seconds (no error message, just started loading widgets, then would go blank and start over). After turning the screen off for several minutes, it seems fine. Anyone else seen this? Anyway, thanks @LazerL0rd!

I had same behaviour after installing Magisk 18.1 wiping davilk cache. With pixel experience ROM and stock kernel.

Reactions: LazerL0rd

vdhero

Jun 11, 2017
Rach Gia

I had same behaviour after installing Magisk 18.1 wiping davilk cache. With pixel experience ROM and stock kernel.
I faced this problem a lot before, it's not a kernel problem, try uninstall magisk then reinstall it, it works for me all the time.
BTW, about the surround sound, I tested on other kernels and sounds are still playing in incorrect position. I have no idea for now.

Last edited:

BLACKHATN5

Dec 29, 2015
USB keyboard Hid not working. I have your latest kernel installed on lineage 15.1 everything else seems to be working but I think hid is missing something. I suck at building kernels and will leave it to the developers. I just use my device for pentesting purposes. HID DEVICES NOT DETECTED

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
USB keyboard Hid not working. I have your latest kernel installed on lineage 15.1 everything else seems to be working but I think hid is missing something. I suck at building kernels and will leave it to the developers. I just use my device for pentesting purposes. HID DEVICES NOT DETECTED
Yupp I missed out on adding a single file which caused it to fail, next update will contain it and it'll work.

Lycanx

Oct 10, 2012
Location not found.
Your last couple of builds were pretty good and 06/04 build is the best so far!! Thank you #makingbullheadgreatagain :p
For anyone looking to download the latest one its on OP's website https://lasterhub.me/ click on Nexus 5X or from ftp://ftp.lasterhub.me/
I get almost over 3hours sot with medium- heavy use on aosip with latest zest kernel which is amazing for a 2015 2700mah lcd phone with 20nm chip running on pie, lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_Settings_20190406-191749.png
    Screenshot_Settings_20190406-191749.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 794

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
Massive update guys! Grab it from https://lasterhub.me/. Just about everything is done but EAS so look out for that soon.

I've got some great reports from this build, thanks to sultan and shadow kernel dev for some stuff for this one. Audio quality should be a great jump, I'm using my own driver for that again. Enabled higher audio bit and samples in QDSPV6 too (Hexagon offloading) so that'll be nice and quite a few idle and mem fixes. Please report any bugs on memory usage tho.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

ikromy

May 28, 2012
Malang
I didn't actually think of that, xD. Currently no.
is this kernel support BLODed devices?
My phone already using this latest kernel, and pretty smooth running AOSIP Pie.

But today bootloop :(
but after flashing patch to fix it, the screen become green and said " Unknown Reset! DemiGod Crash Handler : Uknown Reset! " :(

UsPdSr

Hey, any updates on this?

Here the same..I hope you have time in the near future to make the necessary and outstanding changes.

Studies have priority, but I wanted to express my appreciation for your work on this, as well as for Nali!

The same goes for rithvikvibhu of course.

I hope that both can soon be used again.

Momentarily have I a problem with the deficit of supported chipsets.
No idea.The Firmware module doesn't work with the 'standard' kernel.But this is written in the description and with the Oreo kernel from the Nethunter repo this isn't an issue anymore.

I could only use the Atheros chipset(TP-Link TL-WN722N, Alfa AWUS036NHA).Unfortunately.

PS

After I installed the firmware module for Magisk, I could use the Alfa AWUS036NEH as well.
Ralink RT5370 wasn't recognized tough.

Last edited:

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
is this kernel support BLODed devices?
My phone already using this latest kernel, and pretty smooth running AOSIP Pie.

But today bootloop :(
but after flashing patch to fix it, the screen become green and said " Unknown Reset! DemiGod Crash Handler : Uknown Reset! " :(
Yupp, use osm0sis mod on top.

Hey, any updates on this?

Here the same..I hope you have time in the near future to make the necessary and outstanding changes.

Studies have priority, but I wanted to express my appreciation for your work on this, as well as for Nali!

The same goes for rithvikvibhu of course.

I hope that both can soon be used again.

Momentarily have I a problem with the deficit of supported chipsets.
No idea.The Firmware module doesn't work with the 'standard' kernel.But this is written in the description and with the Oreo kernel from the Nethunter repo this isn't an issue anymore.

I could only use the Atheros chipset(TP-Link TL-WN722N, Alfa AWUS036NHA).Unfortunately.

PS

After I installed the firmware module for Magisk, I could use the Alfa AWUS036NEH as well.
Ralink RT5370 wasn't recognized tough.

Coming soon ;)

Reactions: UsPdSr

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    usz12P2.jpg

Code:
    *** Disclamer

Please behave responsibly and avoid thermonuclear war. I am
    not responsible for any bricked devices, etc.
    Introduction
    This is Zest Kernel. It's an optimized kernel for our device which includes a few nifty features. Built, on every security update, you'll have the best of the best. Features will be listed below and shared, to the most of my ability, across all my supported devices. This isn't just my kernel it's yours too - request any features you like and I'll try to add them in. However, I'm also busy with studies so please don't ask for dumb stuff.
    Images
    Possibly the fastest kernel for our device, here's an AnTuTu benchmark from a fellow user on BLOD (four cores only):

98LklQM.jpg
    Features
    • Built on UBERnaro toolchain
    • PaX security commits
    • DTS Android port commits
    • @franciscofranco 's battery optimizations
    • @UltraM8 's SLIMBUS modifications
    • High tickrate to avoid jitter
    • My hi-res audio backports
    • Fauxsound audio gain control
    • Kali Netunter HID and aircrack-ng support
    • Backported features for NexusPieX
    Installation instructions
    * Flash via TWRP, or Franco Kernel Manager
    * Enjoy!
    Download
    Latest is on my website, all versions available at ftp://ftp.lasterhub.me.
    FAQ
    Special Thanks To
    Code:
    * @franciscofranco for his kernel base
    * @Skittles9823 for LMK values

XDA:DevDB Information
    Zest Kernel Projecc, Kernel for the LG Nexus 5X

Contributors
    LazerL0rd
    Source Code: https://gitlab.com/ZKP/bullhead

Kernel Special Features: Fastest kernel for the Nexus 5X (bullhead)

Version Information

Created 2018-03-29
    Last Updated 2019-02-16
    New UPDATE guys!!

Download Link: https://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=29906 (also in Downloads section)

Changelog:
    Code:
    (Well this one is heavy)
    [LIST][*]New DTS Commits
    [*]SU Protection
    [*]Signed Modules
    [*]Clean Rebase
    [*]End of #DiscoLED
    [*]June Security Patches
    [*]MBHC Driver
    [*]AAudio support (for 8.1 & P)
    [*]Less Jitter (config hz 1000)
    [*]new toolchain :P[/LIST]
    Update

New update released! Zip is here and in downloads section as usual.

Changelog:
    Code:
    [LIST][*]Meltdown patches
    [*]Specture followup patch
    [*]Sony jack driver
    [*]Sequential read optimised
    [*]Memory improvements in standby
    [*]Cleaning commits[/LIST]
    First of all, it's highly important because if the rules of the GPLv2 weren't followed as written then this forum would not exist, much less this thread.

The source has to be published at an announced site before publication and you are free to read the GPLv2 rule that I linked to. I don't think that making up something to distract from the actual license rules is helpful and you are quite clearly wrong on this one, you have to publish the code before release.

The forum in and of itself is in violation of the GPLv2 copyright protections which means that a report to the FSF will eventually be inevitable. Especially since the moderators refuse to follow their own rules based on the licenses and give leniency to this kind of crap.

Some people might think that this is just silly business but in reality this is no different from publishing any other licensed code. Open Source doesn't mean "take it and don't pay it forward" but rather the exact opposite. If you don't like the license you are free to just not publish your code or not use the code of others who HAVE actually followed the licensing rules of the code.

WRONG.

Here is the official stance from GPL.

The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is up to you.

There is NO requirement for source being uploaded before or after public release. The core requirement is that the person must make his changes open source if/when requested

Yeah, you do that, you report my post for pushing on the only thing that makes this forum be at all.

If others had behaved like that this kernel wouldn't exist, the Linux kernel would be a complete joke and FLOSS would be dead in the water so no Android either.

OEMs are worst GPL offenders. And honestly Stallman doesn't consider Android Libre. A bulk on Android is licensed under Apache 2.0. Just the kernel is under GPL v2.
    An interesting titbit. iOS kernel is open source. Just that you can't install it on any device.

How hard is it to NOT delete your source code? Does it take a lot out of your daily life to NOT delete your source code?

If there is a next time, hopefully the moderators that do shut down various kernels and threads based on the rules stickied at the top of this forum might just note that all the reports to the FSF could be adding up to a point where this entire forum is shut down.

Would that amuse you?

Moderators don't go on shutting down threads just because kernel developers are a bit late. We do ensure a source and binary parity and we do provide ample time to fix the sources. However repeat offenders do get their threads closed.

Also FSF is more interested in making things open source rather than shutting things down. Shutting down things for slightest infractions is restrictive philosophy. Not really inline with what FSF does.

Your post did amuse me. Just don't make it a habit.
    New update! 50% better performance, 60% better thermal response, camera changes to 16MP (full sensor support), and experimental reviving of bootloop devices (I use a method which heats the chip very high on boot to stick the big core back on)!

Download here: https://bit.ly/2pVQ65n