[KERNEL][NB1][9] fuHKernel [30-JUNE-2022]

Search This thread
Yeah I think you're perhaps right. It's probable the Nokia 8 doesn't even officially support Quick Charge despite having the capabilities to do so. It's been so long since I used the stock ROM that I don't remember. It doesn't state anything about QC on the phone's box.

I tried switching off the phone completely and retesting the charging speed in offline mode (without booting Android) which gives the same speed of around 1.4A. So I guess that confirms it is nothing to do with the kernel.

I agree it's frustrating that the clock speed is limited in the stock kernel. I don't understand why they do that. The reason I switched back to stock ROM is mainly due to the WiFi signal. In the custom ROMs the signal is terrible and constantly disconnects from the router. I don't have this issue in stock ROM. I also hate the Material You redesign in A12 and refuse to upgrade to that version.
I actually really liked A12’s look but, performance for me is everything, and all the ports the A12 developers had to do, killed performance. Nobody knows why. Also I too had Wi Fi signal issue on A12 ROMs. It was very bad and slow.

About the clockspeed limit, Nokia isn’t the only one who did that, which is even more infuriating. Nokia 8 Sirocco seems to have no such limit

Reactions: P650SE

consoomer

Sep 25, 2022
Hey! Thanks for this mod! I used it to easily root the phone since this comes with magisk preinstalled, starting from the rom flashed by T-virus revert. Though I had to replace "flash boot" command with flash boot_a and boot_b, and flash twice. Also, the CPU hz cap does actually work, EX Kernel Manager statistics do report that the CPU goes up to the new max at times. Even if its set to 2361 mhz in the app and can't be changed, the actual file that sets the max frequency in the root directory does show the new cap.

consoomer

Sep 25, 2022
After some time with it, it's true that the mhz increase just keeps resetting, it shows a bit of use at phone boot and then nothing, I wrote too soon. The problem seems to be in sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy4/scaling_max_freq , which is set at thr 236100 hz value. I tried changing it many ways, inlcuding accessing it from the linux terminal on the pc using adb and insecure adbd, but it didn't work.

These are my tips with the ex kernel manager to maximize the use of max mhz even with this problem: 1) at the max cpu frequency (cluster 2) press the power button beside after setting 2592 clock. 2) Go to CPU boost options, set the clock for cores 4-7 to the new max value (2592), and set boost duration to a big number, I haven't tried more than 1000 ms. CPU boost seems to activate whenever there's a surge in cpu usage, and it actually retains its values even if the cpu max freq in the app resets back to the default. 3) Go to tools in the app sidebar and tap apply on boot. 4) Don't close the app, the increased clock times from cpu boost only work while the app is open, cpu boost values wipe on phone reboot.
As an example, in a lightweight game, playing for 40 min, cpu statistics reported the max value of 2592 active almost half of the time. The ex kenel manager just ran in background the whole time, occupying a meager 65 mb ram. I also tampered with the values of thermal throttling at vendor/etc/thermal-engine-cobalt.conf
Again, big thanks for the modder, this is a solid boost for Nokia 8 CPU performance!

Last edited:
After some time with it, it's true that the mhz increase just keeps resetting, it shows a bit of use at phone boot and then nothing, I wrote too soon. The problem seems to be in sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy4/scaling_max_freq , which is set at thr 236100 hz value. I tried changing it many ways, inlcuding accessing it from the linux terminal on the pc using adb and insecure adbd, but it didn't work.

These are my tips with the ex kernel manager to maximize the use of max mhz even with this problem: 1) at the max cpu frequency (cluster 2) press the power button beside after setting 2592 clock. 2) Go to CPU boost options, set the clock for cores 4-7 to the new max value (2592), and set boost duration to a big number, I haven't tried more than 1000 ms. CPU boost seems to activate whenever there's a surge in cpu usage, and it actually retains its values even if the cpu max freq in the app resets back to the default. 3) Go to tools in the app sidebar and tap apply on boot. 4) Don't close the app, the increased clock times from cpu boost only work while the app is open, cpu boost values wipe on phone reboot.
As an example, in a lightweight game, playing for 40 min, cpu statistics reported the max value of 2592 active almost half of the time. The ex kenel manager just ran in background the whole time, occupying a meager 65 mb ram. I also tampered with the values of thermal throttling at vendor/etc/thermal-engine-cobalt.conf
Again, big thanks for the modder, this is a solid boost for Nokia 8 CPU performance!
I tried to tell the dev that the overclock "doesn't work" at 2592MHz for the CPU. Glad to see that you managed to notice too. Once I even managed to glitch the phone into actually using the 2592MHz max at all times.

But there actually is something we are unfortunately overlooking, that I noticed.

The 2592MHz frequency step is actually 2457MHz, but it's being "spoofed" by the time-in-state glitch (which reports a different frequency from the one the hardware is actually using, if OC is not properly implemented).

Still, in a way, when it works it yields a decent performance increase, since on stock, Nokia 8 caps the MSM8998 at 2361MHz for some reason. The real problem is on GPU. The 850 and 770MHz OC steps actually don't work at all. 850 performs the same as 710 and 770 the same as 670, according to my testing. It's unfortunate, really.

consoomer

Sep 25, 2022
I tried to tell the dev that the overclock "doesn't work" at 2592MHz for the CPU. Glad to see that you managed to notice too. Once I even managed to glitch the phone into actually using the 2592MHz max at all times.

But there actually is something we are unfortunately overlooking, that I noticed.

The 2592MHz frequency step is actually 2457MHz, but it's being "spoofed" by the time-in-state glitch (which reports a different frequency from the one the hardware is actually using, if OC is not properly implemented).

Still, in a way, when it works it yields a decent performance increase, since on stock, Nokia 8 caps the MSM8998 at 2361MHz for some reason. The real problem is on GPU. The 850 and 770MHz OC steps actually don't work at all. 850 performs the same as 710 and 770 the same as 670, according to my testing. It's unfortunate, really.

The mod does work, just needs tweaks with ex kernel manager. Just to throw a few geekbench app tests:
Android 12 pixel experience stock governor (schedutil): around 310-320 single core / 1450 multi core
Android 12 pixel experience performance governor (locks all cpu clocks at max, so big cores would be 2457 mhz): around 380 single / 1450 multi
Android 9, this kernel, performance governor and the tweaks with ex kernel manager: around 403 single / 1200 multi
Android 9, this kernel, interactive governor (the stock one A9 uses), ex kernel manager and tweaks: around 403 single / 1200 multi
Android 9, this kernel, schedutil governor (which this kernel brings to A9) and tweaks with ex kernel manager: around 403 single / 1700 multi

For GPU I used 3dmark app to test, and ran sling shot extreme openGL test twice, scoring 3781 and 3843. I don't have any tests before flashing this kernel but the app reports that the average for a Nokia 8 stock A9 is 3663.

The mod does work, just needs tweaks with ex kernel manager. Just to throw a few geekbench app tests:
Android 12 pixel experience stock governor (schedutil): around 310-320 single core / 1450 multi core
Android 12 pixel experience performance governor (locks all cpu clocks at max, so big cores would be 2457 mhz): around 380 single / 1450 multi
Android 9, this kernel, performance governor and the tweaks with ex kernel manager: around 403 single / 1200 multi
Android 9, this kernel, interactive governor (the stock one A9 uses), ex kernel manager and tweaks: around 403 single / 1200 multi
Android 9, this kernel, schedutil governor (which this kernel brings to A9) and tweaks with ex kernel manager: around 403 single / 1700 multi

For GPU I used 3dmark app to test, and ran sling shot extreme openGL test twice, scoring 3781 and 3843. I don't have any tests before flashing this kernel but the app reports that the average for a Nokia 8 stock A9 is 3663.
What tweaks are you talking about. My Nokia 8 refuses to use 2457 on this Kernel even on schedutil.

On top of that, A12 CPU performance is lower than A9. On this Kernel I easily get 1600+ multi on 2361 (I can't get above this. It goes back to normal).

Also GPU OC is not effective.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    On Schedutil governor the big CPU overclock "works"

What I mean with works is that the frequency does go above 2361MHz stock, but it doesn't ACTUALLY reach 2592. It simply reaches the max stock limit for MSM8998, which is 2457MHz and has been capped to 2361MHz on Nokia 8. I noticed from the Geekbench scores.

GPU doesn't OC at all. 850MHz = 710MHz and 770MHz = 670MHz. The system is ignoring the values.
    @TechNoobForSale

Can you confirm whether fast charging works for you on this kernel? I have tried both fuHKernel and Umbrella kernels but neither of them seem to charge more than 1.1A with a Quick Charge 3.0 plug. When I previously used Treble custom ROMs I could charge at the full 3A maximum.
    Can't confirm or deny. Mine charges at 1.4A off of a powerbank. This Kernel is essentially stock Kernel but with "Overclock" (not really, it's just stock Kernel with an ATTEMPT to overclock).

Try different plugs.
    Can't confirm or deny. Mine charges at 1.4A off of a powerbank. This Kernel is essentially stock Kernel but with "Overclock" (not really, it's just stock Kernel with an ATTEMPT to overclock).

Try different plugs.

Alright, thanks. I have actually retested just now using a dedicated USB voltage tester with a different plug and cable. Here are my findings: With a standard 2.4A non-Quick Charge charger it charges at 1.4A which is the same as what you're getting from the powerbank. If I use my Qualcomm charger it increases slightly to 1.5A. This is still half of the 3A speed I was getting on the custom ROMs.

I will try reflashing the stock kernel and see if there's any difference. Otherwise, I have no idea why I am not able to achieve the full charging speed anymore.

In fact, the only reason I use the custom kernel is for KCAL colour adjustment. Because my phone has a third-party replacement LCD and I have to use kernel adjustment to increase the saturation. I'm not fussed about the overclocking or performance enhancements.
    Alright, thanks. I have actually retested just now using a dedicated USB voltage tester with a different plug and cable. Here are my findings: With a standard 2.4A non-Quick Charge charger it charges at 1.4A which is the same as what you're getting from the powerbank. If I use my Qualcomm charger it increases slightly to 1.5A. This is still half of the 3A speed I was getting on the custom ROMs.

I will try reflashing the stock kernel and see if there's any difference. Otherwise, I have no idea why I am not able to achieve the full charging speed anymore.

In fact, the only reason I use the custom kernel is for KCAL colour adjustment. Because my phone has a third-party replacement LCD and I have to use kernel adjustment to increase the saturation. I'm not fussed about the overclocking or performance enhancements.
    The reason I’m using custom kernel is because being locked at 2361MHz instead of getting what 835 was rated for was making me angry. Also I wanted frequency control.

I think that maybe Nokia 8 doesn’t support QuickCharge 3.0 which is why it doesn’t manage 3A. Probably a thing introduced by A12/A11 ROMs, I used to use them but I reverted back to stock partition table because they perform worse.