[KERNEL] Nexus 5 F2FS

Search This thread

dechronic

Dec 7, 2013
I tried this with Euphoria and I keep getting System UI has stopped. Any ideas on what might be the problem?

Connect the phone to a computer and using a terminal emulator/command prompt on the computer run the following command in the same directory as adb:
Code:
adb shell "mount|grep f2fs|grep -oe /userdata -oe /system -oe /cache"

OR
Via a terminal emulator app on the phone run:
Code:
mount|grep f2fs|grep -oe /data -oe /system -oe /cache

You should get the result:
/data
/cache
(/cache may appear twice)
If /cache or /data is missing it means that the missing one is not formatted as f2fs.
It could be the /cache partition.

Wakamatsu

Jan 3, 2011
Anybody found a 5.1.1 dummy kernel yet? Trying to flash Chroma (5.1.1) and get system FC using a 5.1 dummy kernel and Elemental X. And yes both Data and Cache are F2FS

Try here:

https://basketbuild.com/devs/Cl3Kener/HAMMERHEAD/F2FS

Some of these are deprecated. I can't remember which one is the latest as Cl3Kener's rom includes a working F2FS ramdisk so I don't have to flash a ramdisk prior to flashing a kernel. Extracting it from his Optipop rom might be another avenue.

EDIT - the kernels in the above folders may not work with the latest up-to-date ROMs. Quite likely, they won't

Last edited:

Wakamatsu

Jan 3, 2011
And the kernel has an F2FS ramdisk? Hence no need for a F2FS dummy kernel like Elemental X requires? I'll give it a shot.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

What makes you think these are 5.1.1? I only see 5.1

I'll play around with a few things and give you a more definitive answer but it will have to be a little bit later.

milestone2mod

Mar 20, 2012
Alright guys,

after some months of ext4, I decided to go back to f2fs. But it doesn´t seem to work, and I don´t know whose (ROM, Kernel, Recovery, me?) fault it is:
I tried to convert data and cache as follows:

1. Flashed the stock 5.1 image to have a clean base
2. rooted and installed latest TWRP (2.8.6.1)
3. went to recovery, factory reset, then converted data and cache to f2fs via the advanced wipe menu
4. reboot recovery
5. back in recovery again, went to asvanced wipe and checked, data and cache was indeed f2fs
6. connected my Nexus 5 to my computer, copied ROM and Kernel to it and flashed them.
7. rebooted device, set the rom up
8. rebooted to recovery (after setting up everything)
9. in recovery I went to advanced wipe and then to cache and data, and tadaa, file system was stated as ext4.

Is this just a displaying problem in TWRP (data/cache are f2fs, but TWRP displays it wrong?) or did the converting process fail/was reverted? I tried several ROMS (CleanCore, Chroma, Optipop) and Kernels (CodeBlue and Uber), but the result was always the same.

killer23d

Jan 5, 2008
Vancouver
Alright guys,

after some months of ext4, I decided to go back to f2fs. But it doesn´t seem to work, and I don´t know whose (ROM, Kernel, Recovery, me?) fault it is:

3. went to recovery, factory reset, then converted data and cache to f2fs via the advanced wipe menu
4. reboot recovery
5. back in recovery again, went to asvanced wipe and checked, data and cache was indeed f2fs
6. connected my Nexus 5 to my computer, copied ROM and Kernel to it and flashed them.
9. in recovery I went to advanced wipe and then to cache and data, and tadaa, file system was stated as ext4.

Is this just a displaying problem in TWRP (data/cache are f2fs, but TWRP displays it wrong?) or did the converting process fail/was reverted? I tried several ROMS (CleanCore, Chroma, Optipop) and Kernels (CodeBlue and Uber), but the result was always the same.

Try twrp 2.5.x.x. I think since, 2.6, it has bugs

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: milestone2mod

cocchiararo

Sep 11, 2007
Escobar
Alright guys,

4. reboot recovery

The thing is, rom zip's nowadays flash a .dat or .img that carries the partition format and data, so flashing the zip converts it.

A possible workarround might be to flash the rom, perform a nandroid backup of cache and data (or data only, cache does not matter), copy it to pc, convert partitions, rename the backup files from ext4 to f2fs, copy them back, and restore the data.

milestone2mod

Mar 20, 2012
The thing is, rom zip's nowadays flash a .dat or .img that carries the partition format and data, so flashing the zip converts it.

A possible workarround might be to flash the rom, perform a nandroid backup of cache and data (or data only, cache does not matter), copy it to pc, convert partitions, rename the backup files from ext4 to f2fs, copy them back, and restore the data.

Did that, also tried with TWRP 2.8.5.2, but data and cache are still changing again to ext4. Im near absolute distress....

cocchiararo

Sep 11, 2007
Escobar
Did that, also tried with TWRP 2.8.5.2, but data and cache are still changing again to ext4. Im near absolute distress....

at what point do they change?

I mean, if you flash the rom, it is logical for them to change (the .zip formats them).

Now, if you flash no more zips, and do as i say, WHEN do they change?

Restoring the nandroid (correctly renamed) changes nothing, and if it is incorrectly renamed, it will complain.

milestone2mod

Mar 20, 2012
at what point do they change?

I mean, if you flash the rom, it is logical for them to change (the .zip formats them).

Now, if you flash no more zips, and do as i say, WHEN do they change?

Restoring the nandroid (correctly renamed) changes nothing, and if it is incorrectly renamed, it will complain.

I did as you said:
1. factory image (clean base)
2. root & TWRP
3. flashed Chroma Rom, Gapps and CodeBlue
4. made a nadroid backup
5. copied backup to PC, renamed "ext4" in data/cache-backup names to f2fs (also the md5 files)
6. converted data/cache to f2fs in recovery, reboot recovery
7. copied backup files back to the phone, restored cache and data
8. reboot the system
9. after setup of Google account etc. I rebooted to recovery again, and now cache and data were labelled as ext4 in the advanced wipe section.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a guide I can follow, so that it just works (also with the newer .dat or .img files you mentioned)?

cocchiararo

Sep 11, 2007
Escobar
I would repeat the process, double checking that the format remains F2FS after each step.
Also, do you have f2fs support in your kernel? If so, it might need to be flashed after the partitions are already f2fs (if not, you need to add support).

milestone2mod

Mar 20, 2012
I would repeat the process, double checking that the format remains F2FS after each step.
Also, do you have f2fs support in your kernel? If so, it might need to be flashed after the partitions are already f2fs (if not, you need to add support).

Did the double chek after every step, It´s changing when I first boot up the ROM and then go back to recovery.
I thought CodeBlue had support for cache and data on f2fs.
So how should I try it? Flash CodeBlue again after I restored the backup? I already did that, doesn´t keep t from changing back to ext4 after first bootup....

cocchiararo

Sep 11, 2007
Escobar
Did the double chek after every step, It´s changing when I first boot up the ROM and then go back to recovery.
I thought CodeBlue had support for cache and data on f2fs.
So how should I try it? Flash CodeBlue again after I restored the backup? I already did that, doesn´t keep t from changing back to ext4 after first bootup....

mm, then i would:

1. factory image (clean base)
2. root & TWRP
3. flashed Chroma Rom, Gapps and CodeBlue
3.a boot rom, configure first boot setup
3.b reboot recovery
3.c wipe caches
4. nadroid backup (/data only)
5. copy backup to PC, renamed "ext4" in data-backup name to f2fs (also the md5 files)
6. converted data/cache to f2fs in recovery, reboot recovery
6.a check it is still F2FS
6.b flash codeblue again
7. copy backup files back to the phone, restore data
7.a check it is still F2FS
7.b reboot recovery and re-check /data and /cache are still F2FS
8. reboot the system
9. after setup of Google account etc. I rebooted to recovery again, and now cache and data were labelled as ext4 in the advanced wipe section.

If that still fails, either your rom, kernel, of the gods, wont do F2FS :p

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone