[KERNEL] Nougat kernels

Search This thread

AlaskaLinuxUser

Oct 23, 2015
Fairbanks
thealaskalinuxuser.wordpress.com
To God be the glory, It is finally here: Android N kernels!

@malacore had a good suggestion for me to get started on my AKLU kernels while I wait for more ram for my computer to make my own N builds. I started with JDCTeams's CM14, and hope to branch out to AOSP and others soon.

Feel free to comment if you have tried them on another rom, successful or not, or to leave feedback on these kernels as well. These can be flashed on any JF variant of phone, but I have only personally tested them on JFLTETMO.

Post #2: N kernels

Source: https://github.com/alaskalinuxuser/
Kernel Version 3.4.112

Post created: 11/02/16
Last updated: 9/5/17

Last edited:

AlaskaLinuxUser

Oct 23, 2015
Fairbanks
Nougat kernels!

For AOKP 7:
(AOKP is now based on LineageOS)
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/h3p473al6xstx/kernels

For SlimRoms 7:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/s3v49439d9k5k1e/AKLU-SLIM-N-JFLTE-intelliplug-20170117.zip

For LineageOS 14.1:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/305w1rnap7qj2he/AKLU-LINEAGEOS-N-JFLTE-intelliplug-20160112.zip

For RR 5.8.0:
(RR is now based on LineageOS)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/0nq9p5qq5mx9q8u/AKLU-RR580-N-JFLTE-UPDATE-20170126.zip

For CM14 by the JDCTeam:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9z097f1aox8pguu/AKLU-CM14-N-JFLTE-iosched-20161110.zip

Change Log:

-Added Faux Sound! Thanks @faux123
-Added fast charge!

-Added GPU and CPU voltage controls!
--> Control the CPU through Kernel Adiutor
--> Control the GPU with my GPU Voltage Control App.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ga...gpu-voltage-control-app-aklu-kernels-t3506985

-Updated for 7.1.2 compatibility.

-Update for Substratum compatibility.

-Fixed WiFi hot-spot issue for AOKP and RR.

-Updated RR and AOKP kernel with LineageOS base, as they transitioned away from CM.

+ Added Intelliplug, an alternative hotplugging option made by @faux123.

+ No feature changes, just cleaning up a few things to help with RR 5.8.0

+ Added I/O Schedulers:
-->FIOPS
-->SIO
-->VR

+ Overclocked CPU to 1998 MHz.
+ Overclocked GPU to 487 MHz.
+ Added Governors:
-->SmartMax
-->Wheatley
-->LionHeart

Old Kernels:

Last edited:

AlaskaLinuxUser

Oct 23, 2015
Fairbanks
Screenshots!

Some screenshots of Kernel Aduitor with these kernels.

Attachments

• 2016_11_02_05.56.08.png
    2016_11_02_05.56.08.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,960
  • 2016_11_02_06.09.59.png
    2016_11_02_06.09.59.png
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,929
  • 2016_11_02_06.29.42.png
    2016_11_02_06.29.42.png
    190.9 KB · Views: 1,906
  • 2016_11_02_05.56.57.png
    2016_11_02_05.56.57.png
    141.7 KB · Views: 1,685
Last edited:

dtriguero

May 1, 2011
Husser
Awesome gonna give it a go and see but I'm sure will run/perform just fine

sent from my SGH-M919 BadAss TinkerToy

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

have u tested with systemless root does it play nice the marshmallow dev worked great just wondering since supersu patches boot.img but I'll test it incase and let u know

dtriguero

May 1, 2011
Husser
Kernel seems to run fine I noticed no fauxsound or fast charge. Also didn't have all the same governors as other kernels u have. Web apps ran laggy but I think that's something with that rom. Also noticed on boot unlike ur marshmallow dev kernel it show not selinux enforcing. currently back on marshmallow it says only about kernel. Why is that on marshmallow it says permissive when full booted under about phone. I wonder if it's some flag or something supersu patches on marshmallow dev that it can't or isn't patching on the nought kernel. Because both ur rom and cm14.1 are both showing permissive fully booted under about phone with me changing nothing. Even ran getenforce to make sure.

AlaskaLinuxUser

Oct 23, 2015
Fairbanks
Kernel seems to run fine I noticed no fauxsound or fast charge. Also didn't have all the same governors as other kernels u have. Web apps ran laggy but I think that's something with that rom. Also noticed on boot unlike ur marshmallow dev kernel it show not selinux enforcing. currently back on marshmallow it says only about kernel. Why is that on marshmallow it says permissive when full booted under about phone. I wonder if it's some flag or something supersu patches on marshmallow dev that it can't or isn't patching on the nought kernel. Because both ur rom and cm14.1 are both showing permissive fully booted under about phone with me changing nothing. Even ran getenforce to make sure.

Yes, I am still adding features, so fast charge, fauxsound, etc., are not added yet. Also it is not set to permissive when I made it for their ROM, because their default was enforcing. I can make it default permissive if needed when I make more adjustments. It is somewhat difficult working within their ROM to make my own kernel, so it will take some time to get all of the features put in.

Reactions: darazor

dtriguero

May 1, 2011
Husser
that's funny cause the nought one boots with two errors on sammy logo not seandroid enforcing I think and kernel warranty bit as if is permissive but when boot mm dev kernel only shows kernel warranty bit on sammy screen as if enforcing during boot but permissive when finished boot. Also N shows permissive but did flash supersu before booting maybe it changed it. Steps was

Full wide-after backup of course
flash cm14.1
flash 7.1 micro gapps
flash ur N kernel
flash supersu 2.78 sr3- there rom flash 2.78 sr1

AlaskaLinuxUser

Oct 23, 2015
Fairbanks
For now I am satisfied with Alucard kernel in OotCM14 but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see how things developed.

I do have one question, is your kernel based on stock cm kernel or Alucard?

No worries!

Yes, my kernel is based on stock CM kernel. Alucard kernels are great, I have a lot of respect for Alucard kernels.

AlaskaLinuxUser

Oct 23, 2015
Fairbanks

AlaskaLinuxUser

Oct 23, 2015
Fairbanks
i see you are making kernels for aokp 7. i am wondering is there even an aokp 7 for us yet and if so where can i test it

I am guessing it was a typo and he meant aosp not aosp. No aokp rom yet that I know of.

Actually, there is an AOKP 7.0 teaser download in the AOKP MM thread. No working calls yet.

AlaskaLinuxUser

Oct 23, 2015
Fairbanks
For some reason I tried flashing your aokp kernel on your new build and boot indefinitely. Could be me

Hmmm... It did test good here. However, I let AOKP N boot fully, then went back to recovery and flashed this kernel.
However, I have updated it, so try the new one in the OP, if you would. It also tests good here. When flashing, it gave me an error, but still flashes just fine. The error is about the syntax of the META-INF file, not a kernel problem.
Let me know how if you have any more problems. I did not have GAPPS installed when I tested this, just for reference.

AlaskaLinuxUser

Oct 23, 2015
Fairbanks
Praise God, new kernel is up!

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that the OP is updated with the new kernel, including intelliplug, an alternative to mpdecision for hotplugging. This controls how many cores are used at once. You have to use Kernel Adiutor or some similar app to control it. Intelliplug has several options that show up in the Kernel Adiutor as well. Let me know what you think!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lol I don't need the screenshots, I trust you. It works on crdroid too, I'm using it right now.

Which governors and i\o do you use daily ?

That is somewhat a loaded question. :D

I am flashing/reflashing and swapping through the phones I work on every few days, so it doesn't always stay the same. For instance, yesterday I switched to the Note Edge to do some testing, so I am running that right now, but I spent 5-6 days using the S4 with AOKP7 just before that.

However, in general, regardless of which phone I use I tend to follow one of two paths:

Performance:
    CPU gov: Lionheart
    I/O scheduler: ROW
    Hotplug: Mpdecision

Why:
    Well, just my opinion, and everyone has one, but MPD seems to be a more responsive hotplug, tending to keep cores on more, bring them up sooner, etc.

ROW stands for ReadOverWrite, and typically, on your phone you don't write much data, so priority is given to reading data, and it makes for a better experience. ROW was also specifically designed with cell phones in mind.

Lionheart is my favorite kernel. It is a conservative kernel, which confuses people into thinking that it is a battery saver, but that is not so. Conservative kernels don't change as quickly, and then they make "conservative" changes, or small changes at a time. Lionheart may lag a little when "ramping up" to a new load, but once it is up where the load needs to be, it tends to stay there. So, if you want to play a game, it will jump up and stay up with the load.

Battery Saving:
    CPU gov: SmartMax (or Darkness on my other phones)
    I/O scheduler: Noop
    Hotplug: IntelliPlug

Why:

Again, just my opinion, but Intelliplug is great for saving power, cores turn off faster and seems to wait a bit longer to bring up new cores if needed, which can save battery.

Noop is one of the oldest, most stable I/O's that was designed specifically for flash drives due to no seek penalty. It uses the fewest CPU "cycles" which in theory would save power.

SmartMax is generally tuned for an ideal frequency that is set low for power saving. It has a built in feature to boost the CPU when you touch the screen. The idea is that if you are not using the phone, you wont touch the screen, and the CPU will stay closer to idle. If you are doing something, you are touching the screen and thus the CPU will be boosted. An obvious shortcoming to this is watching a movie, which can start to stutter.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but there it is. Everyone has their own take on it, and you should experiment to find what works best for you and your daily routine. Also, with Kernel Adiutor, you can save settings into profiles, and load them for different uses, which is pretty handy.
    To God be the glory, It is finally here: Android N kernels!

@malacore had a good suggestion for me to get started on my AKLU kernels while I wait for more ram for my computer to make my own N builds. I started with JDCTeams's CM14, and hope to branch out to AOSP and others soon.

Feel free to comment if you have tried them on another rom, successful or not, or to leave feedback on these kernels as well. These can be flashed on any JF variant of phone, but I have only personally tested them on JFLTETMO.

Post #2: N kernels

Source: https://github.com/alaskalinuxuser/
    Kernel Version 3.4.112

Post created: 11/02/16
    Last updated: 9/5/17
    Nougat kernels!

For AOKP 7:
    (AOKP is now based on LineageOS)
    https://www.mediafire.com/folder/h3p473al6xstx/kernels

For SlimRoms 7:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/s3v49439d9k5k1e/AKLU-SLIM-N-JFLTE-intelliplug-20170117.zip

For LineageOS 14.1:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/305w1rnap7qj2he/AKLU-LINEAGEOS-N-JFLTE-intelliplug-20160112.zip

For RR 5.8.0:
    (RR is now based on LineageOS)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/0nq9p5qq5mx9q8u/AKLU-RR580-N-JFLTE-UPDATE-20170126.zip

For CM14 by the JDCTeam:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/9z097f1aox8pguu/AKLU-CM14-N-JFLTE-iosched-20161110.zip

Change Log:

-Added Faux Sound! Thanks @faux123
    -Added fast charge!

-Added GPU and CPU voltage controls!
    --> Control the CPU through Kernel Adiutor
    --> Control the GPU with my GPU Voltage Control App.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/ga...gpu-voltage-control-app-aklu-kernels-t3506985

-Updated for 7.1.2 compatibility.

-Update for Substratum compatibility.

-Fixed WiFi hot-spot issue for AOKP and RR.

-Updated RR and AOKP kernel with LineageOS base, as they transitioned away from CM.

+ Added Intelliplug, an alternative hotplugging option made by @faux123.

+ No feature changes, just cleaning up a few things to help with RR 5.8.0

+ Added I/O Schedulers:
    -->FIOPS
    -->SIO
    -->VR

+ Overclocked CPU to 1998 MHz.
    + Overclocked GPU to 487 MHz.
    + Added Governors:
    -->SmartMax
    -->Wheatley
    -->LionHeart

Old Kernels:
    Thanks for the fast reply, and all your work! One last question, any problem flashing this kernel long after installing the ROM? i.e. dirty flash the kernel?

Kernels are usually dirty flashed and can be flashed months or even years after the ROM, as long as it is the right kernel for that ROM. This is nice, because you can try out the original kernel, then later try another kernel or go back, etc.
    i see you are making kernels for aokp 7. i am wondering is there even an aokp 7 for us yet and if so where can i test it

I am guessing it was a typo and he meant aosp not aosp. No aokp rom yet that I know of.

Actually, there is an AOKP 7.0 teaser download in the AOKP MM thread. No working calls yet.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone