Search This thread

djsubterrain

• Jan 4, 2012
    Livingston
    OnePlus 9 Pro
    Just 3 questions.

I am on 11.2.5.5 BA version.
    Currently rooted with magisk.

1. Will this kernel flashing erase anything on the phone?

2. Will a future update in OS (ex. 11.2.6.6) overwrite this kernel??

3. Does factory reset get me BACK to out of the box state of the phone? (for future selling)

Thanks guys. Looks promising this kernel.
    Kudos to the developer👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Regards from norway
    1. No it's only the kernel, not system or userdata
    2. Yes with the default boot image for that build
    3. Yes but you should flash the default rom first before factory reset and/or locking the bootloader, locking the bootloader with a custom kernel in place will brick it meaning you'll need to MSM.

Reactions: fromiOS2Android

Flasher8

Apr 24, 2011
    Hi, I did encountered 1 issue after flashing latest kernel. My camera app won't open and crash. Also WhatsApp and some apps to use camera won't open too. It happen with latest kernel which didn't have previously.

I need to restart device in order to use again.

Forgot to mentioned that the temperature suddenly up to 44% without using anything which I never happened b4. (After the camera crash/ can't open)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210518-135347.jpg
      Screenshot_20210518-135347.jpg
      345.7 KB · Views: 50

kristofpetho

May 27, 2009
    Zoetermeer
    Hi, I did encountered 1 issue after flashing latest kernel. My camera app won't open and crash. Also WhatsApp and some apps to use camera won't open too. It happen with latest kernel which didn't have previously.

Can you please grab a log? I don't have issues like that, and I didn't change anything in the camera drivers - the only change is coming from OnePlus since they modified the camera driver code in 11.2.5.5.
    Which ROM version are you running?

Reactions: Flasher8

kristofpetho

May 27, 2009
    Zoetermeer

Forgot to mentioned that the temperature suddenly up to 44% without using anything which I never happened b4. (After the camera crash/ can't open)
    I found the problem in your log file. Apparently the cameraserver service tried to open either a partial or corrupt image file but it failed. That's why your camera app crashed. And I'm guessing the cameraserver didn't shut down properly, hence the high CPU usage/temperature.

Also - are you using GMS doze on your system?

Reactions: Flasher8

Flasher8

Apr 24, 2011
    I found the problem in your log file. Apparently the cameraserver service tried to open either a partial or corrupt image file but it failed. That's why your camera app crashed. And I'm guessing the cameraserver didn't shut down properly, hence the high CPU usage/temperature.

Also - are you using GMS doze on your system?
    Just happened again. I using battery guru for apps monitoring.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210518-151426.jpg
      Screenshot_20210518-151426.jpg
      431.5 KB · Views: 52
    • Screenshot_20210518-150117.jpg
      Screenshot_20210518-150117.jpg
      126.1 KB · Views: 52

stefal639

Jan 2, 2011

Me too... Camera freeze when i take the photo.
    5 times i need to reboot, than i flash again the release of the 12th of may and there is no problem.

kristofpetho

May 27, 2009
    Zoetermeer
    OK guys, new public test build - especially for those of you who have camera issues on latest. I'm not pinning this unless everyone confirms that camera issues are solved.

Changelog:
    - Reverted to using Clang + ThinLTO
    - Fixed a scheduler regression that was introduced in the 5/12 build

Please drop a line here if this fixes your camera issues.

Attachments

• Omega-11.0_0517.zip
      15 MB · Views: 339

Top Liked Posts

Sure wish this worked on los :/
      As soon as we have working OOS Camera on LOS, I'm jumping ship and will make a kernel for it
      New kernel release!

The test team has been crazy busy, flashing sometimes 5 builds a day to pressure test, and come up with this new kernel.
      After tons of performance tests, we found that Clang (with the included optimizations) outperforms even the best GCC builds, so I'm now moving to using Clang by Google to compile the kernel.

Changelog:
      - Fixed major network error where userspace was trying to modify network settings but the kernel wasn't allowing it (this issue is also present on stock kernel)
      - Pulled in a fix from CAF to improve/lower battery drain
      - Updated Wireguard module to latest version
      - Built using Google's latest Clang (12.0.6)
      - Enabled all Clang internal optimizations (reverted a crazy CAF patch disabling them), and fixed all subsequent code errors
      - Fixed an IRQ saving issue found via lockdep (upstream)

Enjoy!
      New kernel release!

Changelog:
      - Built using Google's Clang
      - O3 optimization, ThinLTO, SCS, CFI all enabled (like stock)
      - Uses modules from userspace for maximum stability
      - Fixed thermal throttling issues
      - Fixed Warp Wireless charging issues

Thanks to @Walhalla for helping to test Warp Wireless charging!

Enjoy!
      New kernel release!

After extensive testing, the team has found that the GCC-compiled kernel performs much better across all benchmarks (between 10-20% better). So kernel will be compiled with GCC moving forward.
      Also, GCC + O3 produced faster binaries than GCC + LTO + O3, so I will also move forward with GCC + O3 (without LTO).

The Warp Wireless charging and thermal throttling issue came from the fact that I built all kernel modules inline and was not relying on userspace to provide modules - this has now been fixed (thanks to @Walhalla for the testing!), so we can now enjoy the benefits of having all tweaks and optimizations of all the modules.
      With this kernel, during Warp Wired Charging and screen on, battery temp does not go above 37 C.

Changelog:
      - Compiled again with GCC, without LTO
      - O3 optimization enabled for all warnings/errors fixed
      - Fixed charge throttling as well as thermal throttling during charging

Enjoy!!!

BTW I do believe everything is now 100% fully functional in the kernel, but if anyone experiences anything, please let me know!

NOTE: If you use any weird Magisk Modules, you are on your own. Some of the modules really try to alter the way the system works and interferes with normal operations of the kernel and userspace.
      For the first time with 1+ 9 pro, on 0529, I experienced overheating while charging by cable.

View attachment 5326069
      Seriously. This is not aimed at you, but in general to people complaining of "overheating" and other weird errors.

1. Please use common sense. The temp says 38.7 C. That it not overheating. Below 40 C while wired charging with 65W is completely normal. When your teamps go above 50 C, then complain.
      2. I just drove in the car with GPS on, high brightness, my phone is in a black Spigen case and it was in direct sunlight for 15 minutes. Absolutely no issue with overheating.
      3. The ONLY report I will accept that anyone's phone overheats is if I get a screenshot of the system dialog telling you your phone is overheating. Oneplus has a built-in mechanism to properly monitor battery and system temps. Rely on that, not some third party app which is most likely not even compatible with our phones.
      4. Most apps out there are not equipped for the dual battery setup of the 9 Pro. Stop using these. Or if you don't stop using these, at least don't say it's overheating when it is clearly not.
      5. I never have overheating issues. I only use Magisk, and Magisk Hide. I see a lot of people throw tons of modules on their phones. Especially that Oneplus Dialer + Messages module. That specific module creates tons of constant errors in logcat. There is only so much I can do with the kernel, people will need to start to actually think, and not complain...
      6. In fact I never have ANY issues with my 9 Pro. It's a great phone and clear step up from the 8 Pro. I just don't install crazy ass apps like most users do...

End of rant. Apologies to all of you who are enjoying the kernel and not running into issues and using common sense.
      New kernel released!

Changelog:
      - Disable watermark boosting for significantly lower CPU usage during day-to-day use
      - Further tweaks to memory management
      - Removed USB webcam drivers
      - Updated with OOS 11.2.6.6 kernel sources
      - Fixed hardware detection algorhythm (kernel should now work on both the 9 and 9 Pro)

IMPORTANT: Only flash this kernel if you are on 11.2.6.6, otherwise charging will be messed up. Oneplus updated the Warp chip firmware in this kernel which causes issues on 11.2.5.5.

Enjoy!
      Introduction

Hello everyone, this is my personal kernel for the OnePlus 9 Pro.
      My philosophy on the kernel is pretty simple, intended to replace the stock kernel, but with a lot of under-the-hood tweaks.

Hopefully you will all enjoy!

Important thread information!

I refuse to acknowledge/respond to bug reports that do not include clear steps to reproduce, a logcat, and a console ramoops (if random rebooting) or a dmesg (any other issues). Follow this guide to do this.
      Keep things civil, no flaming in the forums!

Features

• Up to date with OxygenOS 11 source
      • Compiled with Google's Clang toolchain for maximum stability, with all warnings and errors fixed
      • Compiled with Clang's cortex-a55 optimizations
      • Many tweaks under the hood for smoother UX, lower battery drain, etc.
      • BBR as the default congestion algorithm
      • Available to flash with AnyKernel3

Latest kernel release on GitHub

LINK

Source

Omega GitHub: https://github.com/kristofpetho/kernel_oneplus_sm8350
      Omega originally sourced from: OnePlusOSS

Thanks where it's due

@pyry666 for all his help getting me logs after logs after logs. Without him this wouldn't have been possible!
      @Burt Squirtz and @crashazz3 and @TheKnux for helping to test
      Kerneltoast for his extreme patience and guidance
      osm0sis (for AnyKernel3)
      @eng.stk for finding a way to have proper hardware detection working
      New kernel release!

The test team has been crazy busy, flashing sometimes 5 builds a day to pressure test, and come up with this new kernel.
      After tons of performance tests, we found that Clang (with the included optimizations) outperforms even the best GCC builds, so I'm now moving to using Clang by Google to compile the kernel.

Changelog:
      - Fixed major network error where userspace was trying to modify network settings but the kernel wasn't allowing it (this issue is also present on stock kernel)
      - Pulled in a fix from CAF to improve/lower battery drain
      - Updated Wireguard module to latest version
      - Built using Google's latest Clang (12.0.6)
      - Enabled all Clang internal optimizations (reverted a crazy CAF patch disabling them), and fixed all subsequent code errors
      - Fixed an IRQ saving issue found via lockdep (upstream)

Enjoy!
      New kernel release!

This is a huge one in terms of stability and smoothness.

Changelog:
      - GCC LTO implemented
      - GCC O3 optimization (together with LTO results in significant improvement of hackbench scores)
      - Wireguard added
      - Anykernel 3 updated
      - Critical and stability fixes from CAF
      - More code fixes based on GCC's diagnostics
      - Significant improvement to ZRAM speed

Enjoy!
      New kernel release!

Changelog:
      - Built using Google's Clang
      - O3 optimization, ThinLTO, SCS, CFI all enabled (like stock)
      - Uses modules from userspace for maximum stability
      - Fixed thermal throttling issues
      - Fixed Warp Wireless charging issues

Thanks to @Walhalla for helping to test Warp Wireless charging!

Enjoy!
      New kernel release!

Changelog:
      • Updated to latest OOS sources for 11.2.5.5
      • Updated GCC toolchain to 11.1.0, and fixes all new code warnings
      • Disabled some unnecessary tools in the kernel that are not needed for Android
      • Remove all debugging from the WLAN driver
      • Remove all debugging from the Camera driver
      • Pull in 2 scheduler fixes from CAF for load balancing
      • Disable hardware intergrity checking driver that polled the hardware every 5 seconds for errors
      This is a big one, enjoy!

And happy birthday @avid_droid!