• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Development [KERNEL] [OOS] Omega Kernel OOS11 [September 18, 2021]

Search This thread
(I posted this before, but I think it got lost)
Out of curiosity, what specifically makes this incompatible with the standard OP 9? I see one commit in the repo that hardcodes some OP 9 Pro values in op_cmdline.c, but other than that I don't see anything specific to the OP 9 Pro (that I can decipher).
I know there are differences in the way the camera is. But other that that I think they are close. But the camera difference alone would make the op9pro kernel probably not function correctly. Also there is a general thread for kernel development. You should probably post all op9 related kernel stuff in that thread to keep this one clean as it is for the 9 pro kernel. The other thread is this devs thread also.

stazz83

Apr 3, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
For the first time with 1+ 9 pro, on 0529, I experienced overheating while charging by cable.

Screenshot_20210601-094011.jpg

kristofpetho

May 27, 2009
Zoetermeer
For the first time with 1+ 9 pro, on 0529, I experienced overheating while charging by cable.

View attachment 5326069
Seriously. This is not aimed at you, but in general to people complaining of "overheating" and other weird errors.

1. Please use common sense. The temp says 38.7 C. That it not overheating. Below 40 C while wired charging with 65W is completely normal. When your teamps go above 50 C, then complain.
2. I just drove in the car with GPS on, high brightness, my phone is in a black Spigen case and it was in direct sunlight for 15 minutes. Absolutely no issue with overheating.
3. The ONLY report I will accept that anyone's phone overheats is if I get a screenshot of the system dialog telling you your phone is overheating. Oneplus has a built-in mechanism to properly monitor battery and system temps. Rely on that, not some third party app which is most likely not even compatible with our phones.
4. Most apps out there are not equipped for the dual battery setup of the 9 Pro. Stop using these. Or if you don't stop using these, at least don't say it's overheating when it is clearly not.
5. I never have overheating issues. I only use Magisk, and Magisk Hide. I see a lot of people throw tons of modules on their phones. Especially that Oneplus Dialer + Messages module. That specific module creates tons of constant errors in logcat. There is only so much I can do with the kernel, people will need to start to actually think, and not complain...
6. In fact I never have ANY issues with my 9 Pro. It's a great phone and clear step up from the 8 Pro. I just don't install crazy ass apps like most users do...

End of rant. Apologies to all of you who are enjoying the kernel and not running into issues and using common sense.

avid_droid

Aug 24, 2019
Maui,Hawaii
OnePlus 9
Seriously. This is not aimed at you, but in general to people complaining of "overheating" and other weird errors.

1. Please use common sense. The temp says 38.7 C. That it not overheating. Below 40 C while wired charging with 65W is completely normal. When your teamps go above 50 C, then complain.
2. I just drove in the car with GPS on, high brightness, my phone is in a black Spigen case and it was in direct sunlight for 15 minutes. Absolutely no issue with overheating.
3. The ONLY report I will accept that anyone's phone overheats is if I get a screenshot of the system dialog telling you your phone is overheating. Oneplus has a built-in mechanism to properly monitor battery and system temps. Rely on that, not some third party app which is most likely not even compatible with our phones.
4. Most apps out there are not equipped for the dual battery setup of the 9 Pro. Stop using these. Or if you don't stop using these, at least don't say it's overheating when it is clearly not.
5. I never have overheating issues. I only use Magisk, and Magisk Hide. I see a lot of people throw tons of modules on their phones. Especially that Oneplus Dialer + Messages module. That specific module creates tons of constant errors in logcat. There is only so much I can do with the kernel, people will need to start to actually think, and not complain...
6. In fact I never have ANY issues with my 9 Pro. It's a great phone and clear step up from the 8 Pro. I just don't install crazy ass apps like most users do...

End of rant. Apologies to all of you who are enjoying the kernel and not running into issues and using common sense.
That's straight forward. I absolutely love the latest and have 0 complaints of my phone now. I had my issues as we've discussed in PM,but, there is no arguments with the latest. If I may add, phones heat up also when doing heavy task. If you are multitasking with a heavy CPU load,expect heat. I have also only a few modules installed like,detach, debloat, system hosts,swift installer and substratum and have no issues.

fromiOS2Android

Dec 29, 2018
Trondheim

I agree with this sir. And specially point 6. 👍🏼👍🏼
Love this stable and snappy kernel and that it constantly gets updated from the developer @kristofpetho for minor bug fixes and improvement... Keep it up💪🏼💪🏼

Reactions: kristofpetho

Ninxha

Jan 11, 2017
Xiaomi Poco F1
OnePlus 9 Pro
First of all, thank you @kristofpetho for making this kernel for OP9 Pro community. I've only read amazing things about this kernel.
I want to unlock my bootloader and root just to flash this kernel but i have a question. After i root and flash kernel, every new update system update, i need to update manually through local ugprade and then reflash the kernel right?

avid_droid

Aug 24, 2019
Maui,Hawaii
OnePlus 9
First of all, thank you @kristofpetho for making this kernel for OP9 Pro community. I've only read amazing things about this kernel.
I want to unlock my bootloader and root just to flash this kernel but i have a question. After i root and flash kernel, every new update system update, i need to update manually through local ugprade and then reflash the kernel right?
Correct. Flash after every update. I returned to this kernel because of personal choice. This is stable and performs how it should. Do it is my recommendation as reflashing kernel isn't difficult at all

avid_droid

Aug 24, 2019
Maui,Hawaii
OnePlus 9
I see. Thank you for your help. And i guess every Omega Kernel update, i just can flash over the previous version without problems, right?
Yes. There should be no problem. If there is,make a kernel back up before flashing any kernel. And resort to that then fresh flash. That's normally what I do now. Flash stock, then, flash new kernel

Reactions: Ninxha

kristofpetho

May 27, 2009
Zoetermeer
New kernel released!

Changelog:
- Disable watermark boosting for significantly lower CPU usage during day-to-day use
- Further tweaks to memory management
- Removed USB webcam drivers
- Updated with OOS 11.2.6.6 kernel sources
- Fixed hardware detection algorhythm (kernel should now work on both the 9 and 9 Pro)

IMPORTANT: Only flash this kernel if you are on 11.2.6.6, otherwise charging will be messed up. Oneplus updated the Warp chip firmware in this kernel which causes issues on 11.2.5.5.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Omega-11.0_0602.zip
    15.9 MB · Views: 278

PKkeys

Apr 19, 2021
New kernel released!

Changelog:
- Disable watermark boosting for significantly lower CPU usage during day-to-day use
- Fixed hardware detection algorhythm (kernel should now work on both the 9 and 9 Pro)

IMPORTANT: Only flash this kernel if you are on 11.2.6.6, otherwise charging will be messed up. Oneplus updated the Warp chip firmware in this kernel which causes issues on 11.2.5.5.

Enjoy!
You're the best!

avid_droid

Aug 24, 2019
Maui,Hawaii
OnePlus 9
New kernel released!

Changelog:

Enjoy!
Really? After the 5/29 has been insanely perfect. Let's go! Thank you man

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New kernel release!

Changelog:
    - Pulled in patch from Google to make cpufreq stat collection less CPU-hungry (smoothness)
    - Pulled in 3 Clang/LLVM stability fixes from upstream Linux
    - Pulled in a patch for better power consumption when vibrations are enabled (from arter's source)

While this kernel works on latest 11.2.9.9, please note that OnePlus hasn't released sources yet for 11.2.9.9.

Enjoy!
    Working great on the newest oxygen.
    But we can still use the kernel with the new update right?
    No problem here....
    Not true. I never uninstall magisk and I install OOS updates over omega kernel.
    Yes when updating using a FULL OTA. When was the last time a FULL OTA was on time and not a month or two late. You can not take an incremental update on Omega or any custom kernel. It will fail.
    Will this kernel be updated to 11.2.9.9?
    If they would update sources...
    Introduction

Hello everyone, this is my personal kernel for the OnePlus 9 Pro.
    My philosophy on the kernel is pretty simple, intended to replace the stock kernel, but with a lot of under-the-hood tweaks.

Hopefully you will all enjoy!

Important thread information!

I refuse to acknowledge/respond to bug reports that do not include clear steps to reproduce, a logcat, and a console ramoops (if random rebooting) or a dmesg (any other issues). Follow this guide to do this.
    Keep things civil, no flaming in the forums!

Features

• Up to date with OxygenOS 11 source
    • Compiled with Google's Clang toolchain for maximum stability, with all warnings and errors fixed
    • Compiled with Clang's cortex-a55 optimizations
    • Many tweaks under the hood for smoother UX, lower battery drain, etc.
    • Westwood as the default congestion algorithm (BBR is also available)
    • Available to flash with AnyKernel3

Latest kernel release on GitHub

LINK

Source

Omega GitHub: https://github.com/kristofpetho/kernel_oneplus_sm8350
    Omega originally sourced from: OnePlusOSS

Thanks where it's due

@pyry666 for all his help getting me logs after logs after logs. Without him this wouldn't have been possible!
    @Burt Squirtz and @crashazz3 and @TheKnux for helping to test
    Kerneltoast for his extreme patience and guidance
    osm0sis (for AnyKernel3)
    @eng.stk for finding a way to have proper hardware detection working
    New kernel release!

Changelog:
    - Pulled in patch from Google to make cpufreq stat collection less CPU-hungry (smoothness)
    - Pulled in 3 Clang/LLVM stability fixes from upstream Linux
    - Pulled in a patch for better power consumption when vibrations are enabled (from arter's source)

While this kernel works on latest 11.2.9.9, please note that OnePlus hasn't released sources yet for 11.2.9.9.

Enjoy!
    New release!

Changelog:
    - Build with Google's Clang 13.0.1, updated Binutils to 2.37
    - Pulled in 5 code fixes from CAF for display driver
    - Pulled in 2 logic fixes from CAF for display driver
    - Pulled in 3 various CAF stability fixes
    - Fixed a dmesg error message with a commit from upstream Linux
    - Removed all android_fs tracing from the ext4 and f2fs filesystem drivers
    New kernel release!

This is a huge one in terms of stability and smoothness.

Changelog:
    - GCC LTO implemented
    - GCC O3 optimization (together with LTO results in significant improvement of hackbench scores)
    - Wireguard added
    - Anykernel 3 updated
    - Critical and stability fixes from CAF
    - More code fixes based on GCC's diagnostics
    - Significant improvement to ZRAM speed

Enjoy!
    New kernel release!

The test team has been crazy busy, flashing sometimes 5 builds a day to pressure test, and come up with this new kernel.
    After tons of performance tests, we found that Clang (with the included optimizations) outperforms even the best GCC builds, so I'm now moving to using Clang by Google to compile the kernel.

Changelog:
    - Fixed major network error where userspace was trying to modify network settings but the kernel wasn't allowing it (this issue is also present on stock kernel)
    - Pulled in a fix from CAF to improve/lower battery drain
    - Updated Wireguard module to latest version
    - Built using Google's latest Clang (12.0.6)
    - Enabled all Clang internal optimizations (reverted a crazy CAF patch disabling them), and fixed all subsequent code errors
    - Fixed an IRQ saving issue found via lockdep (upstream)

Enjoy!