• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Development [KERNEL] [OOS] Omega Kernel OOS11 [September 18, 2021]

Search This thread

ThePresence

May 24, 2011
Mumbai
OnePlus 9 Pro
Guys, I m really irritated with one problem. I have latest os and Omega kernel installed. I play a specific game a lot ( Dragonball Legends) and it used to be in memory much more while multi tasking. However, I don't know what's happening now. Since a week, I can never see this app in memory. Whenever I switch to some other app like Twitter or whatsapp and come back, the app reloads. A call coming. Again app reloads. I am irritated since this phone was an expensive buy for me.

Can anyone pls give me an idea on how to force this app in memory or how to improve ram management. I have used don't optimise for this app,still doesn't work.
You must have installed some magisk/xposed module due to which you're facing this issue. It was happening with me also then I removed that module and now everything is smooth as before.

sunny1689gupta

May 30, 2016
Google Pixel 2 XL
OnePlus 9 Pro

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210901-095340.jpg
    Screenshot_20210901-095340.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 168

hdbueller

Retired Forum Mod
Dec 22, 2004
Mid-Missouri
Seriously. This is not aimed at you, but in general to people complaining of "overheating" and other weird errors.

1. Please use common sense. The temp says 38.7 C. That it not overheating. Below 40 C while wired charging with 65W is completely normal. When your teamps go above 50 C, then complain.
2. I just drove in the car with GPS on, high brightness, my phone is in a black Spigen case and it was in direct sunlight for 15 minutes. Absolutely no issue with overheating.
3. The ONLY report I will accept that anyone's phone overheats is if I get a screenshot of the system dialog telling you your phone is overheating. Oneplus has a built-in mechanism to properly monitor battery and system temps. Rely on that, not some third party app which is most likely not even compatible with our phones.
4. Most apps out there are not equipped for the dual battery setup of the 9 Pro. Stop using these. Or if you don't stop using these, at least don't say it's overheating when it is clearly not.
5. I never have overheating issues. I only use Magisk, and Magisk Hide. I see a lot of people throw tons of modules on their phones. Especially that Oneplus Dialer + Messages module. That specific module creates tons of constant errors in logcat. There is only so much I can do with the kernel, people will need to start to actually think, and not complain...
6. In fact I never have ANY issues with my 9 Pro. It's a great phone and clear step up from the 8 Pro. I just don't install crazy ass apps like most users do...

End of rant. Apologies to all of you who are enjoying the kernel and not running into issues and using common sense.
Well, say what you want, but I can barely use mine outdoors when it's warm as it gives me the high temp warning and then shuts down apps and dims the screen to an unusable level! Coincidentally, it never happens while charging tho.... If I don't find a fix soon, I'll become a former OnePlus user!!
I'm just about done!!

Reactions: bencozzy

toyanucci

May 28, 2010
OnePlus 9
Well, say what you want, but I can barely use mine outdoors when it's warm as it gives me the high temp warning and then shuts down apps and dims the screen to an unusable level! Coincidentally, it never happens while charging tho.... If I don't find a fix soon, I'll become a former OnePlus user!!
I'm just about done!!
Same issue with OP9! Doing regular things has the phone giving me the overheating warning and dimming the screen. Omega kernel has improved it a lot, but if the ambient temps are high, the phone overheats which never happened with my OP7T, OP8T, Pixel5 or Pixel 4a5g all of which I used in the same location with similar temps.

Burt Squirtz

Feb 11, 2018
The UI is really smooth with this kernel but I have to say, that the battery life with stock kernel was better for me.
I'm getting perfect battery life on Omega -- it's a lot better than stock. A lot better performance too. Snappy and smooth as can be.

It's definitely something on your phone bro. Kristoff is right, nine times out of 10 it's some sh1tty app or process.

Reactions: kristofpetho

RumRunner19

Mar 28, 2021
It is interesting that peeps will dog a kernel after so many heap praises on it. My first reaction is they have some off the wall apps running. Funny thing, for those that come from other phones there is a tendency to your apps work. In my opinion, batt apps, optimizier apps, green apps - are all nonsense. Take up space and CPU. My batt life with this kernel is awesome, but I am not a power user. Still, I get great response and the
UI is snappy.
Basically, what I am saying is look at what you have running before crying. FFSS.
Thanks

thirtythr33

Sep 3, 2011
New York
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro
I've had the op9 pro since launch, and have used Omega as soon as it was released (coming from op6T I knew what to expect) and I would consider myself a power user among other things. all that to say I have never once had my phone overheat, reach critical temps, or underperform while using Omega. those of you getting these overheating warning have either one or more system debilitating apps running or you are using your phone in ways none of the rest of us are. honestly, every time I read a post about overheating on Omega I ignore it, because there is no way that's happening without what's called operator error, unless you genuinely have a defective phone.

Reactions: NUGZZ420

forever_lol

Mar 18, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21
OnePlus 9 Pro
I am sorry, but I don't see anyone "whining" here nor bashing the kernel, that is great btw. The thing is many users have experienced overheating issues (when eg. shooting videos outside or having videocall, using google maps) on stock setup. I am not a poweruser. My device is heavily debloated and i do not play games and i don't use social media at all. Still i cannot have 30 min video conversation on signal without getting overheat warning. No one say it is omega kernel's fault. In fact it's even better here (and i do prefer omega over stock one), but it hasn't solved the overheating issue for all of us, unfortunately. That's all. It's not criticism towards the kernel at all. No need to feel sour. (Hardware failure can be a case here)

Amaze209

Jun 3, 2012
Salinas, CA
OnePlus 9 Pro
I just installed omega and everything is running great.

I was just wondering if anyone has left the settings stock? Or if you adjusted them?

If you adjusted them, what values did you adjust and to what value? Thanks you.

Just trying the find the best combination of settings.

PKkeys

Apr 19, 2021
I just installed omega and everything is running great.

I was just wondering if anyone has left the settings stock? Or if you adjusted them?

If you adjusted them, what values did you adjust and to what value? Thanks you.

Just trying the find the best combination of settings.
I have changed the I/O Schedulers to KYBER.

terlynn4

Aug 18, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Nexus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
The thing is many users have experienced overheating issues... No one say it is omega kernel's fault. In fact it's even better here (and i do prefer omega over stock one), but it hasn't solved the overheating issue for all of us, unfortunately.
I second this. I always had issues with stock kernel, and it's so much better with Omega, but I've still had occasional overheating warnings (usually in extreme summer heat and full sun, but a few times in more normal conditions). I'm certain it's not the kernel's fault, and I don't have much else modded these days except some debloating. This phone just doesn't seem to handle cooling as well as my previous OP7P did.

hallo dare

Jan 23, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
With the latest kernel version on the eu phone has anyone that uses dual sim noticed that periodically they cannot receive calls on the 2nd sim?

My second sim is for work and I'm always getting an email from work colleagues to say that "i tried ringing you but it won't connect". (Not exactly a bad thing)! A reboot sorts the issue for a while before the issue returns.

But when i flash the 0807 kernel version there's no issue with receiving calls.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this amd can advise?

Happy to provide logs if instructed how to do so. Thanks

bencozzy

Feb 28, 2011
Columbus OH
With the latest kernel version on the eu phone has anyone that uses dual sim noticed that periodically they cannot receive calls on the 2nd sim?

My second sim is for work and I'm always getting an email from work colleagues to say that "i tried ringing you but it won't connect". (Not exactly a bad thing)! A reboot sorts the issue for a while before the issue returns.

Same on the LE2125 version doesn't pick up any signal then reboot and it works fine. Wifi and Bluetooth still work when this is happening.

l_mike

Jan 6, 2013
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
OnePlus 9 Pro

No problem here on eu with dual sim.

rickysidhu_

Apr 1, 2016
Vancouver
OnePlus 9
Hey I just had a random reboot and I've attached logs. I'm not sure if you support the regular OP9 in terms of troubleshooting but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

I was double tapping the screen to wake it and then that's when the reboot happened.

Attachments

• logs.zip
    8.2 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: kristofpetho

Avinash007

Dec 31, 2014
OnePlus 9 Pro
Don't know if this is the right forum to ask but asking anyway, has anyone experienced Whatsapp being the heaviest on battery? I have seen Whatsapp's background usage is always in hours whereas the active usage is just under 60 minutes. I am not a heavy Whatsapp user. I have tried looking over many articles all of them suggest clearing app data, reinstall or upgrade. Obviously those do not help any way.
I was wondering if there can be any tuning at the kernel level like Oneplus did with the throttling of certain apps.
This kernel has been my daily driver since I got my 9 pro, must say I can't imagine using the phone without this kernel. Battery life has improved a lot, I even play PUBG and the temperatures stay well under 35 38.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have had same issues recently. I dont think its kernel related but hw related. At first my suspect was my case but after removing it I noticed that power button it self is very sensitive, mushy and not clicky at all as it was when new. Vol buttons are still clicky as ever before. Support told me to visit service center AND didnt know if warranty covers it. And i am not too keen atm to drive 200km together just to find out
    I believe it is hardware related. I have watched the kernel log and it's recognising a single press as two. So while it's in all likelihood caused by hardware, it can be masked by software by just ignoring button events that are unreasonably close. :)
    If someone has encountered a double-click problem, check if you have an enabled magic module called oneplus9poos. Disabling this module solved the problem.
    Not true. I never uninstall magisk and I install OOS updates over omega kernel.
    Yes when updating using a FULL OTA. When was the last time a FULL OTA was on time and not a month or two late. You can not take an incremental update on Omega or any custom kernel. It will fail.
    And after installing OOS 11.2.9.9 I have to first install Magisk into inactive slot, before rebooting the device, right?
    You can uninstall Magisk from the Magisk app, as Update needs stock kernel. Download 11.2.9.9 update from Oxygen Updater app and install from Settings/ update from local storage. Do not reboot, then Install Magisk to Inactive Slot. Now you can reboot. Then use kernel manager to flash Kernel.
    I believe it is hardware related. I have watched the kernel log and it's recognising a single press as two. So while it's in all likelihood caused by hardware, it can be masked by software by just ignoring button events that are unreasonably close. :)
    Just wondering if new device as this is, starts already give hw issues something as simple as power button, how its gonna hold up in a long run? Not very happy about this at all!
    Introduction

Hello everyone, this is my personal kernel for the OnePlus 9 Pro.
    My philosophy on the kernel is pretty simple, intended to replace the stock kernel, but with a lot of under-the-hood tweaks.

Hopefully you will all enjoy!

Important thread information!

I refuse to acknowledge/respond to bug reports that do not include clear steps to reproduce, a logcat, and a console ramoops (if random rebooting) or a dmesg (any other issues). Follow this guide to do this.
    Keep things civil, no flaming in the forums!

Features

• Up to date with OxygenOS 11 source
    • Compiled with Google's Clang toolchain for maximum stability, with all warnings and errors fixed
    • Compiled with Clang's cortex-a55 optimizations
    • Many tweaks under the hood for smoother UX, lower battery drain, etc.
    • Westwood as the default congestion algorithm (BBR is also available)
    • Available to flash with AnyKernel3

Latest kernel release on GitHub

LINK

Source

Omega GitHub: https://github.com/kristofpetho/kernel_oneplus_sm8350
    Omega originally sourced from: OnePlusOSS

Thanks where it's due

@pyry666 for all his help getting me logs after logs after logs. Without him this wouldn't have been possible!
    @Burt Squirtz and @crashazz3 and @TheKnux for helping to test
    Kerneltoast for his extreme patience and guidance
    osm0sis (for AnyKernel3)
    @eng.stk for finding a way to have proper hardware detection working
    New kernel release!

Changelog:
    - Pulled in patch from Google to make cpufreq stat collection less CPU-hungry (smoothness)
    - Pulled in 3 Clang/LLVM stability fixes from upstream Linux
    - Pulled in a patch for better power consumption when vibrations are enabled (from arter's source)

While this kernel works on latest 11.2.9.9, please note that OnePlus hasn't released sources yet for 11.2.9.9.

Enjoy!
    New release!

Changelog:
    - Build with Google's Clang 13.0.1, updated Binutils to 2.37
    - Pulled in 5 code fixes from CAF for display driver
    - Pulled in 2 logic fixes from CAF for display driver
    - Pulled in 3 various CAF stability fixes
    - Fixed a dmesg error message with a commit from upstream Linux
    - Removed all android_fs tracing from the ext4 and f2fs filesystem drivers
    New kernel release!

This is a huge one in terms of stability and smoothness.

Changelog:
    - GCC LTO implemented
    - GCC O3 optimization (together with LTO results in significant improvement of hackbench scores)
    - Wireguard added
    - Anykernel 3 updated
    - Critical and stability fixes from CAF
    - More code fixes based on GCC's diagnostics
    - Significant improvement to ZRAM speed

Enjoy!
    New kernel release!

The test team has been crazy busy, flashing sometimes 5 builds a day to pressure test, and come up with this new kernel.
    After tons of performance tests, we found that Clang (with the included optimizations) outperforms even the best GCC builds, so I'm now moving to using Clang by Google to compile the kernel.

Changelog:
    - Fixed major network error where userspace was trying to modify network settings but the kernel wasn't allowing it (this issue is also present on stock kernel)
    - Pulled in a fix from CAF to improve/lower battery drain
    - Updated Wireguard module to latest version
    - Built using Google's latest Clang (12.0.6)
    - Enabled all Clang internal optimizations (reverted a crazy CAF patch disabling them), and fixed all subsequent code errors
    - Fixed an IRQ saving issue found via lockdep (upstream)

Enjoy!