• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Development [KERNEL] [OOS] Omega Kernel OOS11 [September 18, 2021]

Search This thread

bencozzy

Feb 28, 2011
Columbus OH
Don't know if this is the right forum to ask but asking anyway, has anyone experienced Whatsapp being the heaviest on battery? I have seen Whatsapp's background usage is always in hours whereas the active usage is just under 60 minutes. I am not a heavy Whatsapp user. I have tried looking over many articles all of them suggest clearing app data, reinstall or upgrade. Obviously those do not help any way.
I was wondering if there can be any tuning at the kernel level like Oneplus did with the throttling of certain apps.
This kernel has been my daily driver since I got my 9 pro, must say I can't imagine using the phone without this kernel. Battery life has improved a lot, I even play PUBG and the temperatures stay well under 35 38.
WhatsApp is owned by Facebook so it will drain battery the same as the Facebook and messenger apps they are constantly scanning your device files and location in the background.

tathagatab

Dec 31, 2014
Kolkata
OnePlus 9 Pro
Yeah agreed. That's why I don't have Facebook, Instagram or even Messenger. But can't go without WhatsApp sadly.

I don't have this problem, because I use an app called Icebox to keep WhatsApp and a bunch of other apps frozen. I fire 'em up when I need 'em, and then freeze 'em again. The freezing can be configured to happen automatically whenever your screen switches off.

terlynn4

Aug 18, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Nexus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
I don't have this problem, because I use an app called Icebox to keep WhatsApp and a bunch of other apps frozen. I fire 'em up when I need 'em, and then freeze 'em again. The freezing can be configured to happen automatically whenever your screen switches off.
This is what I do too, and keeping all those battery-hungry apps frozen works wonders for battery life. But of course if they're frozen you don't get notifications (just a bonus for me), so it may not be ideal for a lot of people.

jwarrior319

So something happened recently that caused my phone throw itself into a borderline bootloop with this kernel. Wifi is totally trashed and rebooting takes AGES. only flashing back to stock kernel remedies this.
In order for anyone to diagnose/fix the issue we need kernel logs from during boot. Without it we have no way of knowing what actually happened and cant really help.

kristofpetho

May 27, 2009
Zoetermeer
New kernel release!

Changelog:
- Pulled in patch from Google to make cpufreq stat collection less CPU-hungry (smoothness)
- Pulled in 3 Clang/LLVM stability fixes from upstream Linux
- Pulled in a patch for better power consumption when vibrations are enabled (from arter's source)

While this kernel works on latest 11.2.9.9, please note that OnePlus hasn't released sources yet for 11.2.9.9.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Omega-11.0_0917.zip
    17.8 MB · Views: 521

samwhiteUK

Jul 1, 2012
Cambridge
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hi @kristofpetho, lately (last few weeks) I've been having a random bug where a single press of the power button is being interpreted as a double tap, which is really annoying as it keeps opening the camera!

I've attached a dmesg of the issue - see around entries 5562-5567 for an occurrence.

This is a reasonably well-discussed issue, looking around - I don't know if it's crappy hardware on OnePlus' part, or shoddy button denouncing in software, but this is something that could be fixed at kernel level, right? Just reject all "presses" that are unreasonably close to the previous?

Thanks

Attachments

• dmesg-2021-09-20_200048.log
    483.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi @kristofpetho, lately (last few weeks) I've been having a random bug where a single press of the power button is being interpreted as a double tap, which is really annoying as it keeps opening the camera!

I've attached a dmesg of the issue - see around entries 5562-5567 for an occurrence.

This is a reasonably well-discussed issue, looking around - I don't know if it's crappy hardware on OnePlus' part, or shoddy button denouncing in software, but this is something that could be fixed at kernel level, right? Just reject all "presses" that are unreasonably close to the previous?

Thanks
This has been happening to me as well @samwhiteUK and I was able to Mitigate it temporarily (it seems to be coming back slowly) by disabling and re-enabling the Gesture (settings -> buttons & gestures -> Double Click the power button -> camera)

I am on Oxygen 11.2.8.8.LE15BA on my unlocked tmobile 9pro -- using omega 5.4.61

Would like to see this resolved as well

jwarrior319

Thanks

This has been happening to me as well @samwhiteUK and I was able to Mitigate it temporarily (it seems to be coming back slowly) by disabling and re-enabling the Gesture (settings -> buttons & gestures -> Double Click the power button -> camera)

I am on Oxygen 11.2.8.8.LE15BA on my unlocked tmobile 9pro -- using omega 5.4.61

Would like to see this resolved as well
This can be fixed by increasing the required delay between presses, but idk if its kernel level or if its in a system file somewhere. If its in a file im sure a magisk module can be made to adjust that.

pyry666

Dec 27, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
This can be fixed by increasing the required delay between presses, but idk if its kernel level or if its in a system file somewhere. If its in a file im sure a magisk module can be made to adjust that.
I have had same issues recently. I dont think its kernel related but hw related. At first my suspect was my case but after removing it I noticed that power button it self is very sensitive, mushy and not clicky at all as it was when new. Vol buttons are still clicky as ever before. Support told me to visit service center AND didnt know if warranty covers it. And i am not too keen atm to drive 200km together just to find out

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think that sentiment is a bit extreme, man. I also used to test Omega, and never took it to heart when things, as they do eventually, slowed down and eventually stopped for the 6t.

KTP is stability focused and doesn't tend to push release after release just for the sake of doing it. Omega is always a good stable kernel for that exact reason.

A guy that has a full time day job, who happens to understand more than most peeps about kernels, makes his own, then shares it with the community, gratis with no expectations is not on the hook to dash titty sprinkles on the kernel and re-release it constantly. If he was asking for $$ (which he does not) or something in return (which he does not) it would be different.

Of course, you can choose to not use Omega as well, if you feel there's something better or are super committed to the Cartman mantra of [screw you guys, I'm going home], that, much like installing Omega in the first place, is your choice.

Let's not act like the dev owes anyone anything, bc he doesn't owe us anything whatsoever. We are the privileged in the equation.
    There has been no source update for the device since 11.2.8.8...
    I'm waiting for updated sources, and dont want to break anything in the meantime.
    I think that sentiment is a bit extreme, man. I also used to test Omega, and never took it to heart when things, as they do eventually, slowed down and eventually stopped for the 6t.

KTP is stability focused and doesn't tend to push release after release just for the sake of doing it. Omega is always a good stable kernel for that exact reason.

A guy that has a full time day job, who happens to understand more than most peeps about kernels, makes his own, then shares it with the community, gratis with no expectations is not on the hook to dash titty sprinkles on the kernel and re-release it constantly. If he was asking for $$ (which he does not) or something in return (which he does not) it would be different.

Of course, you can choose to not use Omega as well, if you feel there's something better or are super committed to the Cartman mantra of [screw you guys, I'm going home], that, much like installing Omega in the first place, is your choice.

Let's not act like the dev owes anyone anything, bc he doesn't owe us anything whatsoever. We are the privileged in the equation.
    I just recently flashed this kernel again because I was running stock kernel but omega is really cpu hungry in your last update it said less cpu hungry while overnight it eats like 20% away when the screen is on you can spend like 5 to 6 hours on the screen but not even last a day on lock screen where you can spend like 2 or 3 tops then your phone dies

Stock kernel seems not to be cpu hungry
    lol this kernel is anything but cpu hungry. once again need to point out that idle/active drain is directly related to what apps you use and how you use your phone, not the kernel, especially this one that is the polar opposite of cpu hungry
    Sorry about my comment @kristofpetho . Your work is still amazing. I apologize to everyone here on the forum for my stupid comments. No more from me. Sorry and thank you
    at first when I read your post I was thinking no way it's been abandoned, but then I looked at github and there has been no new commits since 9/17 (the last update he released) so I'm not sure now. perhaps he's just busy with other things? either way I hope it's not.

Willing to bet if @kristofpetho was stopping, he would have said so. Sometimes, there isn't anything to update.
    I imagine until source is out for a12, there probably won't be any big changes needed. Only my guess, though. ;). Thank you for what you do @kristofpetho !!
    Introduction

Hello everyone, this is my personal kernel for the OnePlus 9 Pro.
    My philosophy on the kernel is pretty simple, intended to replace the stock kernel, but with a lot of under-the-hood tweaks.

Hopefully you will all enjoy!

Important thread information!

I refuse to acknowledge/respond to bug reports that do not include clear steps to reproduce, a logcat, and a console ramoops (if random rebooting) or a dmesg (any other issues). Follow this guide to do this.
    Keep things civil, no flaming in the forums!

Features

• Up to date with OxygenOS 11 source
    • Compiled with Google's Clang toolchain for maximum stability, with all warnings and errors fixed
    • Compiled with Clang's cortex-a55 optimizations
    • Many tweaks under the hood for smoother UX, lower battery drain, etc.
    • Westwood as the default congestion algorithm (BBR is also available)
    • Available to flash with AnyKernel3

Latest kernel release on GitHub

LINK

Source

Omega GitHub: https://github.com/kristofpetho/kernel_oneplus_sm8350
    Omega originally sourced from: OnePlusOSS

Thanks where it's due

@pyry666 for all his help getting me logs after logs after logs. Without him this wouldn't have been possible!
    @Burt Squirtz and @crashazz3 and @TheKnux for helping to test
    Kerneltoast for his extreme patience and guidance
    osm0sis (for AnyKernel3)
    @eng.stk for finding a way to have proper hardware detection working
    New kernel release!

Changelog:
    - Pulled in patch from Google to make cpufreq stat collection less CPU-hungry (smoothness)
    - Pulled in 3 Clang/LLVM stability fixes from upstream Linux
    - Pulled in a patch for better power consumption when vibrations are enabled (from arter's source)

While this kernel works on latest 11.2.9.9, please note that OnePlus hasn't released sources yet for 11.2.9.9.

Enjoy!
    New release!

Changelog:
    - Build with Google's Clang 13.0.1, updated Binutils to 2.37
    - Pulled in 5 code fixes from CAF for display driver
    - Pulled in 2 logic fixes from CAF for display driver
    - Pulled in 3 various CAF stability fixes
    - Fixed a dmesg error message with a commit from upstream Linux
    - Removed all android_fs tracing from the ext4 and f2fs filesystem drivers
    New kernel release!

This is a huge one in terms of stability and smoothness.

Changelog:
    - GCC LTO implemented
    - GCC O3 optimization (together with LTO results in significant improvement of hackbench scores)
    - Wireguard added
    - Anykernel 3 updated
    - Critical and stability fixes from CAF
    - More code fixes based on GCC's diagnostics
    - Significant improvement to ZRAM speed

Enjoy!
    New kernel release!

The test team has been crazy busy, flashing sometimes 5 builds a day to pressure test, and come up with this new kernel.
    After tons of performance tests, we found that Clang (with the included optimizations) outperforms even the best GCC builds, so I'm now moving to using Clang by Google to compile the kernel.

Changelog:
    - Fixed major network error where userspace was trying to modify network settings but the kernel wasn't allowing it (this issue is also present on stock kernel)
    - Pulled in a fix from CAF to improve/lower battery drain
    - Updated Wireguard module to latest version
    - Built using Google's latest Clang (12.0.6)
    - Enabled all Clang internal optimizations (reverted a crazy CAF patch disabling them), and fixed all subsequent code errors
    - Fixed an IRQ saving issue found via lockdep (upstream)

Enjoy!