• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Development [KERNEL] [OOS] Omega Kernel OOS11 [September 18, 2021]

Search This thread

samwhiteUK

Jul 1, 2012
Cambridge
OnePlus 9 Pro
I have had same issues recently. I dont think its kernel related but hw related. At first my suspect was my case but after removing it I noticed that power button it self is very sensitive, mushy and not clicky at all as it was when new. Vol buttons are still clicky as ever before. Support told me to visit service center AND didnt know if warranty covers it. And i am not too keen atm to drive 200km together just to find out
I believe it is hardware related. I have watched the kernel log and it's recognising a single press as two. So while it's in all likelihood caused by hardware, it can be masked by software by just ignoring button events that are unreasonably close. :)

pyry666

Dec 27, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
I believe it is hardware related. I have watched the kernel log and it's recognising a single press as two. So while it's in all likelihood caused by hardware, it can be masked by software by just ignoring button events that are unreasonably close. :)
Just wondering if new device as this is, starts already give hw issues something as simple as power button, how its gonna hold up in a long run? Not very happy about this at all!

Reactions: samwhiteUK
It's definitely not ideal. A lot of people are experiencing it around the same time, though, which is a little suspect.
I've had the issue after a update, but updated both the ROM and kernel. But it is definitely after that moment and not even once before that 12.8.8.8 ROM update and 14 august update. Latest kernel update didn't resolve the issue.

jwarrior319

I've had the issue after a update, but updated both the ROM and kernel. But it is definitely after that moment and not even once before that 12.8.8.8 ROM update and 14 august update. Latest kernel update didn't resolve the issue.
Its possible they tweaked a config(maybe unintentionally) in the latest update. I personally haven't had any issues. It also might only affect devices after a certain manufacturing date due to qc/machine miscalibration. Hopefully its just a software bug. If software then msm'ing back to the previous release should fix the issue as long as you dont update again untill the next release.

dkcats3

Sep 13, 2013
OnePlus 9 Pro
I think the double click problem is much more likely a code issue with a poor (or lack of) debounce function. Whenever you have a physical switch making contact to trigger a button press, on a microscopic level it's common to see it "bounce" causing the signal to look like multiple presses. You always need some sort of logic to hold the "pressed" state long enough to counteract this bouncing and I suspect that's this is where the bug is coming from. Even if it was a mushy button, good debounce code should prevent that unless it's bouncing with an unreasonably long delay. This is why on some electronics without a debounce, you can click a button and see it press multiple times even though the button isn't defective and you only pressed it once. This can also be solved with a physical debounce circuit, which is fairly simple. I think what's most likely the case is the power button is directly connected to a gpio pin on the soc and it's being handled either by the SD888's internal debounce, or code from oneplus

samwhiteUK

Jul 1, 2012
Cambridge
OnePlus 9 Pro
I think the double click problem is much more likely a code issue with a poor (or lack of) debounce function. Whenever you have a physical switch making contact to trigger a button press, on a microscopic level it's common to see it "bounce" causing the signal to look like multiple presses. You always need some sort of logic to hold the "pressed" state long enough to counteract this bouncing and I suspect that's this is where the bug is coming from. Even if it was a mushy button, good debounce code should prevent that unless it's bouncing with an unreasonably long delay. This is why on some electronics without a debounce, you can click a button and see it press multiple times even though the button isn't defective and you only pressed it once. This can also be solved with a physical debounce circuit, which is fairly simple. I think what's most likely the case is the power button is directly connected to a gpio pin on the soc and it's being handled either by the SD888's internal debounce, or code from oneplus
Yep. It could be either, but it is irrelevant really. We just need some new software to debounce it! I was going to take a look but I'm just tooooo busy

muca89

Nov 24, 2020
I am currently on the August release of this kernel and OOS 11.2.8.8. In order to update the kernel I just have to download the newest zip file and flash it via Francos Kernel Manager, right? Anything else which I have to take care of?

After updating the kernel I will update OSS to 11.2.9.9.

schmeggy929

Recognized Themer
Apr 13, 2008
New Jersey
OnePlus 9 Pro
And after installing OOS 11.2.9.9 I have to first install Magisk into inactive slot, before rebooting the device, right?
You can uninstall Magisk from the Magisk app, as Update needs stock kernel. Download 11.2.9.9 update from Oxygen Updater app and install from Settings/ update from local storage. Do not reboot, then Install Magisk to Inactive Slot. Now you can reboot. Then use kernel manager to flash Kernel.

muca89

Nov 24, 2020
You can uninstall Magisk from the Magisk app, as Update needs stock kernel. Download 11.2.9.9 update from Oxygen Updater app and install from Settings/ update from local storage. Do not reboot, then Install Magisk to Inactive Slot. Now you can reboot. Then use kernel manager to flash Kernel.
Do I have to first install stock kernel from backup before updating OOS? Sorry for this kind of "beginner" questions but I don't want to brick my phone :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have had same issues recently. I dont think its kernel related but hw related. At first my suspect was my case but after removing it I noticed that power button it self is very sensitive, mushy and not clicky at all as it was when new. Vol buttons are still clicky as ever before. Support told me to visit service center AND didnt know if warranty covers it. And i am not too keen atm to drive 200km together just to find out
    If someone has encountered a double-click problem, check if you have an enabled magic module called oneplus9poos. Disabling this module solved the problem.
    Not true. I never uninstall magisk and I install OOS updates over omega kernel.
    Yes when updating using a FULL OTA. When was the last time a FULL OTA was on time and not a month or two late. You can not take an incremental update on Omega or any custom kernel. It will fail.
    And after installing OOS 11.2.9.9 I have to first install Magisk into inactive slot, before rebooting the device, right?
    Just wondering if new device as this is, starts already give hw issues something as simple as power button, how its gonna hold up in a long run? Not very happy about this at all!
    Introduction

Hello everyone, this is my personal kernel for the OnePlus 9 Pro.
    My philosophy on the kernel is pretty simple, intended to replace the stock kernel, but with a lot of under-the-hood tweaks.

Hopefully you will all enjoy!

Important thread information!

I refuse to acknowledge/respond to bug reports that do not include clear steps to reproduce, a logcat, and a console ramoops (if random rebooting) or a dmesg (any other issues). Follow this guide to do this.
    Keep things civil, no flaming in the forums!

Features

• Up to date with OxygenOS 11 source
    • Compiled with Google's Clang toolchain for maximum stability, with all warnings and errors fixed
    • Compiled with Clang's cortex-a55 optimizations
    • Many tweaks under the hood for smoother UX, lower battery drain, etc.
    • Westwood as the default congestion algorithm (BBR is also available)
    • Available to flash with AnyKernel3

Latest kernel release on GitHub

LINK

Source

Omega GitHub: https://github.com/kristofpetho/kernel_oneplus_sm8350
    Omega originally sourced from: OnePlusOSS

Thanks where it's due

@pyry666 for all his help getting me logs after logs after logs. Without him this wouldn't have been possible!
    @Burt Squirtz and @crashazz3 and @TheKnux for helping to test
    Kerneltoast for his extreme patience and guidance
    osm0sis (for AnyKernel3)
    @eng.stk for finding a way to have proper hardware detection working
    New kernel release!

Changelog:
    - Pulled in patch from Google to make cpufreq stat collection less CPU-hungry (smoothness)
    - Pulled in 3 Clang/LLVM stability fixes from upstream Linux
    - Pulled in a patch for better power consumption when vibrations are enabled (from arter's source)

While this kernel works on latest 11.2.9.9, please note that OnePlus hasn't released sources yet for 11.2.9.9.

Enjoy!
    New release!

Changelog:
    - Build with Google's Clang 13.0.1, updated Binutils to 2.37
    - Pulled in 5 code fixes from CAF for display driver
    - Pulled in 2 logic fixes from CAF for display driver
    - Pulled in 3 various CAF stability fixes
    - Fixed a dmesg error message with a commit from upstream Linux
    - Removed all android_fs tracing from the ext4 and f2fs filesystem drivers
    New kernel release!

This is a huge one in terms of stability and smoothness.

Changelog:
    - GCC LTO implemented
    - GCC O3 optimization (together with LTO results in significant improvement of hackbench scores)
    - Wireguard added
    - Anykernel 3 updated
    - Critical and stability fixes from CAF
    - More code fixes based on GCC's diagnostics
    - Significant improvement to ZRAM speed

Enjoy!
    New kernel release!

The test team has been crazy busy, flashing sometimes 5 builds a day to pressure test, and come up with this new kernel.
    After tons of performance tests, we found that Clang (with the included optimizations) outperforms even the best GCC builds, so I'm now moving to using Clang by Google to compile the kernel.

Changelog:
    - Fixed major network error where userspace was trying to modify network settings but the kernel wasn't allowing it (this issue is also present on stock kernel)
    - Pulled in a fix from CAF to improve/lower battery drain
    - Updated Wireguard module to latest version
    - Built using Google's latest Clang (12.0.6)
    - Enabled all Clang internal optimizations (reverted a crazy CAF patch disabling them), and fixed all subsequent code errors
    - Fixed an IRQ saving issue found via lockdep (upstream)

Enjoy!