• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[KERNEL][OP3T] FrancoKernel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

dcop7

Jul 5, 2011
Leiria
I just fix this problem I was having.

For some reason, after a format user data, my data partition was formatted to ext4. This was causing my problems (encrypted device and reset).

After changing data to f2fs, everything was just fine.

Just a follow up. I had a few reboots not long ago. So I tried to flash the oos stock rom, then Franco then magisk again, just to check if there wasn't any problem related to flashing the kernel. After reboot, it took several minutes in the boot animation. I had to force a restart and the phone tried to encrypt itself without success. I needed to format the phone. This happens 3 times and only with Franco kernel after r38 (inclusive). I couldn't get logs as the phone was unsuccessful encrypted. So, this wasn't related to ext4/f2fs as I posted above.

I flashed and reflashed, changed kernels many times. Never this happened to me.

Unfortunately, I'm not hoping that this will be fixed as apparently there is only me and few others (as for previous posts) and there is no log. I'm just sharing my experience.

Reactions: Viktorlsn

franciscofranco

Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
Carcavelos
Just a follow up. I had a few reboots not long ago. So I tried to flash the oos stock rom, then Franco then magisk again, just to check if there wasn't any problem related to flashing the kernel. After reboot, it took several minutes in the boot animation. I had to force a restart and the phone tried to encrypt itself without success. I needed to format the phone. This happens 3 times and only with Franco kernel after r38 (inclusive). I couldn't get logs as the phone was unsuccessful encrypted. So, this wasn't related to ext4/f2fs as I posted above.

I flashed and reflashed, changed kernels many times. Never this happened to me.

Unfortunately, I'm not hoping that this will be fixed as apparently there is only me and few others (as for previous posts) and there is no log. I'm just sharing my experience.

Hmm... that's odd. It doesn't happen with any other Kernel? I don't recall having made any change for that to happen. Let me know, I'd like to help & figure it out.

Reactions: Viktorlsn and dcop7

dcop7

Jul 5, 2011
Leiria
Hmm... that's odd. It doesn't happen with any other Kernel? I don't recall having made any change for that to happen. Let me know, I'd like to help & figure it out.

The last time was simple, I rebooted to twrp, flash stock OOS rom, then Franco kernel r39, then magisk v16.3. Rebooted and was stuck in boot animation for around 10 min. Forced to shutdown and started again. It had the message that the encryption was unsuccessful. I would like to give logs, but since it was unsuccessful encrypted, I couldn't.

Strange that this happened 3 times. I thought it was because I was in ext4 for some reason. I changed to f2fs and it was fine. I had the kernel for a few weeks until I got a few reboots and try to flash the kernel again. I know it is impossible to fix since that doesn't happen to you and you don't have logs. Thanks anyway ?

Edit: now I'm recalling, the previous time I did try to flash elementalx and had the same problem. It should be a problem with my phone for some reason. I don't know what. It is probably magisk that causes this.

Sorry for posting on this on your thread thinking it is related to your kernel. My bad. I didn't recall this. Thanks! Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viktorlsn

dcop7

Jul 5, 2011
Leiria
The last time was simple, I rebooted to twrp, flash stock OOS rom, then Franco kernel r39, then magisk v16.3. Rebooted and was stuck in boot animation for around 10 min. Forced to shutdown and started again. It had the message that the encryption was unsuccessful. I would like to give logs, but since it was unsuccessful encrypted, I couldn't.

Strange that this happened 3 times. I thought it was because I was in ext4 for some reason. I changed to f2fs and it was fine. I had the kernel for a few weeks until I got a few reboots and try to flash the kernel again. I know it is impossible to fix since that doesn't happen to you and you don't have logs. Thanks anyway

Edit: now I'm recalling, the previous time I did try to flash elementalx and had the same problem. It should be a problem with my phone for some reason. I don't know what. It is probably magisk that causes this.

Sorry for posting on this on your thread thinking it is related to your kernel. My bad. I didn't recall this. Thanks! Keep up the good work.

Another follow up. The problem is that magisk doesn't patch "fstab.qcom" file, so it forces the encryption.

I've reported in magisk thread:
I think I found out the issue. Magisk isn't patching the "fstab.qcom" file in "/system/vendor/etc".
I just compared the stock "fstab.qcom" with the file after flashing magisk, it is the same. After, I flashed "Force_Encryption_Disabler_For_OOS_Oreo.zip_v2.zip" that flashes the force encryption disabler (this I know that does disable the force encryption, and the file "fstab.qcom" result is different.

So, there is somekind of problem with magisk paching "fstab.qcom" file. I've attached all the "fstab.qcom" files after each step and the recovery.log:
  • STOCK_fstab.qcom.txt -> right after flashing stock OOS ROM
  • MAGISK_fstab.qcom.txt -> right after flashing magisk v16.4
  • FORCE_DISABLE_fstab.qcom.txt -> right after flashing "Force_Encryption_Disabler_For_OOS_Oreo.zip_v2.zip"

Hope this will help fixing this issue.

If you want to stay decrypted, flash "Force_Encryption_Disabler_For_OOS_Oreo.zip_v2.zip" after magisk.

mookiexl

Mar 17, 2011
I used Hide "running in background" notification app in the beginning but I started experiencing massive drain from a wakelock called "snoozehelper.EVALUATE" with hundreds of wakeups per hour. I uninstalled and the wakelock disappeared. I think it's somehow related. However I googled it and no one else seems to be experiencing it... :confused:

Thanks a million I was going crazy about this with my Moto z2 oreo

Ex1eXoR

Nov 3, 2013
Hi there, Ive just flashed r32 from 7.1.1 directory on my 3T, which runs 7.1.1 too. And my device canot boot up. After 1+ logo screen gets completely black and dont respond on any touches, when I hold power button for some secs, white LED appears while screen stays black. And thats all.. Then I tried to downgrade kernel with no luck, log says that its wrong phone model, but its not. Tried with r23 & r25. Any ideas?

UPD: reflashed firmware, issue went away, but i still dont manage to flash this kernel

Last edited:

jokerpappu

Sep 24, 2013
kathmandu
Sony Xperia L
LG G3
Hi there, Ive just flashed r32 from 7.1.1 directory on my 3T, which runs 7.1.1 too. And my device canot boot up. After 1+ logo screen gets completely black and dont respond on any touches, when I hold power button for some secs, white LED appears while screen stays black. And thats all.. Then I tried to downgrade kernel with no luck, log says that its wrong phone model, but its not. Tried with r23 & r25. Any ideas?

UPD: reflashed firmware, issue went away, but i still dont manage to flash this kernel

here's what to do. if your using freedom os then in the aroma installer dont flash super su or magisk. just flash the rom without root. then after you have flashed the rom. flash this kernel then flash magisk.bt dont flash magisk 15 or above. flash stabe magisk v14.0 then it will boot up. then after u can update to magisk v16.0 from magisk manager

Reactions: Krishna Eyunni

Chevan94

Aug 30, 2011
Kraków
I have some serious low memory issues on RR Oreo, Using the r39 kernel for 8.1.0. Memory goes all the way down to ~400 MB free with the performance plummeting through the floor, and the phone freezes up completely for around 30 seconds up to a few minutes (doesn't respond to input at all), after what memory gets freed up to ~750MB. Clearing recents frees up RAM and the problem disappears, at least until the memory gets clogged up again.

No idea if it's the ROM or kernel problem, but afaik it's the kernel which is responsible for memory management.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yfKDvTyQTe5YXYXxBjoeysHy9flYkTNr/view?usp=drivesdk

All these LMK errors are pretty concerning though... No idea what they mean. Also, oddly enough, there's no "lowmemorykiller" folder in /sys/module. Why is that?

Last edited:

NateDev

Does this kernel work with AOSPA? I noticed in the OP for that ROM it says:
Note: Custom kernels are explicitly unsupported and will cause issues
unless they state that they are AOSPA compatible or AOSPA based!

So - is Franco Kernel AOSPA based or AOSPA compatible? If not, are there any plans to make a compatible version? Love your kernel on OOS and really want to use it once AOSPA Oreo gets released.

Reactions: uncle_gonny

Paschfire

May 16, 2014
Ottawa

So - is Franco Kernel AOSPA based or AOSPA compatible? If not, are there any plans to make a compatible version? Love your kernel on OOS and really want to use it once AOSPA Oreo gets released.

No it's not supported and no it probably never will be.

Only custom ROMs based on OOS or LOS are supported.

Sent from my OnePlus 3T using XDA Labs

Reactions: nvertigo67

franciscofranco

Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
Carcavelos

r32???

I have some serious low memory issues on RR Oreo, Using the r39 kernel for 8.1.0. Memory goes all the way down to ~400 MB free with the performance plummeting through the floor, and the phone freezes up completely for around 30 seconds up to a few minutes (doesn't respond to input at all), after what memory gets freed up to ~750MB. Clearing recents frees up RAM and the problem disappears, at least until the memory gets clogged up again.

No idea if it's the ROM or kernel problem, but afaik it's the kernel which is responsible for memory management.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yfKDvTyQTe5YXYXxBjoeysHy9flYkTNr/view?usp=drivesdk

All these LMK errors are pretty concerning though... No idea what they mean. Also, oddly enough, there's no "lowmemorykiller" folder in /sys/module. Why is that?

Wtf you're right.
# CONFIG_ANDROID_LOW_MEMORY_KILLER is not set

Will fix tonight.

After installing franco kernel r39 on OP3T with Omni ROM build 20180506, my hardware navigation button reversed. The default back become recents, and recents become back button. But when I enabled the software navbar, it runs normally.

Not Kernel related.

Nah, not worth my time, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts