[Kernel][osprey][merlin] Squid Kernel for Moto G 2015

Search This thread

feligoni

Jun 16, 2014
Buenos Aires
Cant use adb :( phone wont pass bootlogo so i cant use it. I teared down the phone to see shole button has been desolder from the motherboard. I cant believe for 1 fall it literally desoldered...

squid2

Recognized Developer
Mar 9, 2015
Ontario
Squid Kernel r12

I've posted a new CM13 compatible build that adds support for the new camera drivers we are using in CM13. Apart from that, I've also added various optimizations to memory caching and other things. See the changeling for details.

androidbaba

Nov 19, 2008
I've posted a new CM13 compatible build that adds support for the new camera drivers we are using in CM13. Apart from that, I've also added various optimizations to memory caching and other things. See the changeling for details.
@squid2
Thanks for the latest build
can u pls make USB otg work till its sorted in cm 13
Merry Christmas!!

HTCDreamOn

Jun 17, 2012
5.1.1 stock official

You need to download the stock version of 11e. 11f and newer are all marshmallow. I'm on stock 5.1.1 with TWRP so can confirm this works.

This is because there are differences between the modules (e.g. wifi) that stock and cm uses (squid2 explained this far better earlier in the thread).

Also worth checking md5sum in case you got the right one but didn't download correctly.

ronyscomparim

Dec 17, 2010
Americana
You need to download the stock version of 11e. 11f and newer are all marshmallow. I'm on stock 5.1.1 with TWRP so can confirm this works.

This is because there are differences between the modules (e.g. wifi) that stock and cm uses (squid2 explained this far better earlier in the thread).

Also worth checking md5sum in case you got the right one but didn't download correctly.

which is correct? can you help me

Moto G User

Feb 14, 2015
GPU/CPU OC

@squid2

Have you tried implementing overclock for the GPU/CPU? As far as i can remember the blu spark kernel had a cpu OC up to to around 1600mhz. It would be great if you could implement this feature

Thanks

Reactions: SirSoviet

Selmak

Jul 7, 2010

First let me thank you for your work on this kernel.

I am currently running the unofficial CM13 12/24/15 build with your r12 kernel build. I also installed the unofficial c-apps build for CM13.

I am having problems with Bluetooth, and wondering what I can do to get it working properly. I was hoping installing this kernel would help, but unfortunately it did not.

I have a Motorola Keylink that worked fine on stock Lollipop, and also worked on the Marshmallow soak test. On CM13 though it will not stay connected. After multiple tries I was able to get it to pair, but it won't stay connected. Moto Connect can't see it at all. This is my trusted Bluetooth device, so I'm hoping there is something I'm missing.

I also have a Jam Plus Bluetooth speaker that won't pair. The phone can't see it at all. This also worked fine on the stock software.

I wonder if taking the Bluetooth module from the stock Marshmallow build is the answer. Is that even possible? My knowledge on this kind of stuff is pretty much zero.

Lastly AudioFX doesn't work, and neither does DSPpack for Player Pro. DSPpack worked on stock Lollipop. The original AudioFX didn't work before I flashed the unofficial c-apps either.

I hope this feedback helps. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is my "Squid Kernel" for the 2015 Moto G, codenamed osprey. It shares a common codebase with my kernels for surnia and lux. It consists of the latest Motorola MSM8916 kernel, with all the latest changes from CodeAurora and Kernel.org merged in, along with select cherry-picks and additions of my own. Flash it using TWRP. Bug reports and contributions are welcome.

Version r22b and up require ROMs with an updated ACDB (audio calibration database) loader, such as LineageOS 14.1 builds from January 2018 and newer. If your ROM has an incompatible ACDB loader, you may experience low audio volume. Stick with version r22 for Marshmallow ROMs (including stock) and older Nougat ROMs without an updated ACDB loader.

Disclaimer:
    This is for the 2015 Moto G (osprey and merlin) only! Don't flash it on a previous Moto G, or surnia, or lux. This kernel is provided AS-IS, with no warranties. I am not responsible for bricking your device. Flash at your own risk.

Features:
    • Moderately undervolted
    • Updated to Linux 3.10.108
    • Synced with latest CodeAurora changes
    • Improved memory management
    • Improved memory caching backported from Linux 3.15
    • Improved storage performance
    • Optimized ARM crypto routines
    • Updated f2fs and WiFi drivers
    • FIOPS and BFQ I/O schedulers
    • Lionfish CPU governor
    • IntelliPlug CPU hotplug (by faux123)
    • KCAL MDP5 colour control (by savoca)
    • Improved zRAM backported from Linux 4.9
    • Vibration intensity control
    • Compiled with Linaro GCC 7.3 and optimized for Cortex A53
    • Stripped down and optimized configuration

Release History:
    Code:
    r23: August 15, 2018
    - Tonnes of security patches
    - Updated binder
    - Compiled with Linaro GCC 7.3.1

r22b: January 13, 2018
    - Audio driver fixes
    - Requires a ROM with an updated ACDB loader

r22: January 11, 2018
    - Security patches
    - Updated camera drivers

r21: December 6, 2017
    - Updated to Linux 3.10.108
    - Security patches
    - Oreo support related patches

r20: August 2, 2017
    - Updated to Linux 3.10.107
    - Tonnes of security patches from many places
    - Updated sdcardfs from Google
    - Updated WiFi driver from CAF
    - Compiled with Linaro GCC 6.3.1

r19: January 1, 2017
    - Added support for Nougat ROMs
    - Updated zRAM from Linux 4.9
    - Updated (optimized) FUSE from CAF
    - Kernel ASLR and many info leak fixes
    - ARM PXN support for exploit mitigation
    - Tons of security updates
    - Some CAF updated from LA.BR.1.2.9_rb1.10
    - Fixed kernel panic on VPN disconnection
    - Updated compiler to Linaro GCC 6.2.1

r18: November 8, 2016
    - Tons of security updates
    - Updated to Linux 3.10.104
    - Updates from Motorola Harpia kernel
    - GPU driver latency reduction

r17: August 16, 2016
    - Security updates
    - Updated to Linux 3.10.102
    - CyanogenMod compatibility updates

r16g: May 16, 2016
    - Security updates

r16f: April 14, 2016
    - Reverted f2fs update
    - Updated zRAM from Linux 4.4

r16d: April 8, 2016
    - Security fixes
    - Vibration intensity control
    - Updated f2fs
    - Patches for CM13 compatibility
    - IntelliPlug disabled by default
    - Built with Linaro GCC 5.3

r16: March 20, 2016
    - Updated to Linux 3.10.101
    - Updated to Motorola MPD24.107
    - Updated WiFi driver from CAF
    - IO optimizations under heavy load
    - Miscellaneous bug and security fixes

r15b: Feburary 27, 2016
    - Updated to Linux 3.10.98
    - ARMv8 crypto related fixes
    - Use ARMv8 crypto for adopted storage

r15: February 6, 2016
    - Updated to Linux 3.10.96
    - Updated f2fs from Linux 4.5
    - Kernel library optimizations
    - Improved CFQ IO scheduler
    - Improved kernel PRNG
    - ARMv8 accelerated crypto support
    - Better use of ARM instruction set
    - Added minimum CPUs parameter for IntelliPlug
    - Miscellaneous bug fixes

r14b: January 23, 2016
    - Fixed low/poor call audio
    - Security fix for CVE-2016-0728

r14: January 16, 2016
    - MARSHMALLOW ONLY
    - Updated to Motorola Marshmallow sources
    - Updates from CAF LA.BR.1.2.7_rb1.1
    - Security and bug fixes from Linux 3.12.52
    - Compatible with Marshmallow stock ROM
    - More than a dozen CAF security fixes
    - Miscellaneous bug fixes
    - Somewhat smoother animations
    - Experimental support for merlin

r12: December 25, 2015
    - FOR CM13 ONLY!
    - Updates for latest camera driver changes
    - Updated zRAM
    - Improved memory caching scheme from Linux 3.15
    - Optimized memory allocation and management
    - Optimized CPU scheduler
    - Optimized performance event tracking

r11f: December 17, 2015
    - Updated to Linux 3.10.94
    - Updated to LA.BR.1.1.3_rb1.41
    - WiFi is a kernel module
    - FOR CM13 ONLY!!!

r11e: December 1, 2015
    - Fixed some cpufreq races
    - Minor bug fixes

r10g: November 11, 2015
    - Patched Pronto CR-930533 vulnerability
    - Fixed possible use-after-free in zRAM
    - Updated to Linux 3.10.93
    - Compiled with Linaro GCC 5.1

r10f: November 8, 2015
    - Updated to Linux 3.10.92
    - Updated to CAF LA.BR.1.1.3_rb1.36
    - Updated to Moto Maxx 2 Kernel
    - Security and stability improvements

r10d: October 26, 2015
    - Fixed r10c SELinux regression on stock ROM

r10c: October 24, 2015
    - Fixed encryption support
    - Patches for Android 6.0 support

r10b: October 4, 2015
    - Fixed move app to SD card issue
    - Cleaned up DTBs to reduce size

r10: October 3, 2015
    - Added KCAL colour control (by savoca)
    - Added optimized crypto routines for ARM
    - Updated to Linux 3.10.90
    - Optimized memory performance
    - General cleanup and optimization

r9e: October 1, 2015
    - Updated to lux kernel sources
    - Updated to Linux 3.10.89
    - Updated to LA.BR.1.1.3_rb1.32

r9b: September 29, 2015
    - Fixed QSEECOM keymaster firmware issue

r9: September 28, 2015
    - Initial standalone release for osprey

Downloads:
    Main downloads tab

XDA:DevDB Information
    Squid Kernel for Moto G 2015, Kernel for the Moto G 2015

Contributors
    squid2
    Source Code: https://github.com/sultanqasim/android_kernel_motorola_msm8916

Kernel Special Features: undervolted, lionfish, fiops, intelliplug, latest Linux and Qualcomm fixes

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: r23
    Stable Release Date: 2018-08-15

Created 2015-10-02
    Last Updated 2018-08-15
    Squid Kernel r20

After a long break, I've prepared a new version of this kernel. This is mainly a maintenance release to get up to speed on security patches, as well as bring in various upstream bug fixes. This kernel is probably the best patched kernel available for this device family as of today - there are hundreds of security-relevant patches here that haven't yet made it to the LineageOS kernel. This is partly a matter of patching policy - for LineageOS, apart from ASB patches, we carefully assess necessity and impact of each change prior to inclusion, whereas here, if I see a security patch that looks relevant, I cherry-pick it without much further analysis. Backporting all these changes to to the LineageOS kernel will be a very time consuming undertaking.

As before, the kernel should work on both Marshmallow and Nougat ROMs, and both stock and custom ROMs. The download is on the downloads tab.

Also: merlin users rejoice! Support for your device has returned.
    Squid Kernel r19

This is a pretty big release. The headline change is added support for Nougat ROMs. This kernel is still backwards compatible with Marshmallow ROMs. I also updated to newer compiler (Linaro GCC 6.2.1). However, there are a bunch of improvements beyond just catching up the the CyanogenMod 14.1 kernel.

Updated zRAM
    I've updated zRAM to be mostly in sync with Linux 4.9. The main change is the adoption of what is called "per-cpu compression". Essentially, instead of having a fixed number of compression threads spread across all CPU cores that are moved around by the scheduler, there is one dedicated compression stream per online CPU core. Enforcing that compression streams stay fixed on a particular CPU improves caching performance and reduces overhead. Also, compression streams are now automatically added/removed as CPU cores are onlined/offlined. These changes improve zRAM performance by a few percentage points.

Updated FUSE
    I've cherry-picked a patch series from CAF improving FUSE, the mechanism that facilitates implementing file systems in userspace. Android uses FUSE for SD cards (when not using esdfs or sdcardfs, as is the case on CM13). One improvement I improved is called writeback caching. Traditionally, when writing to a fuse device, the kernel passes data up to the fuse daemon one (128K) chunk at a time, and write() system calls don't complete till all the chunks are passed to fuse. Now, writes are cached in kernel, allowing write() to return more quickly, and fuse then gets cached chunks at its own pace without blocking the write() system call. The other improvement is called "short-circuiting", which allows the fuse userspace to instruct the kernel driver to perform certain IO operations directly, bypassing the userspace daemon. This can reduce overhead and latency. The FUSE changes in this release likely won't be hugely noticeable given the bottleneck is usually the slow speed of SD cards, but there should be some improvement.

Security Improvements
    As usual, I incorporated all the security patches that made it into the CM/LineageOS kernel since the last release. However, I also scoured Kernel.org and CAF to bring in dozens more security fixes missing in the CM/LineageOS kernel. I plan to upstream the important fixes into the LineageOS kernel later when I get time.

In addition to the usual reactive security patches, this release also adds some basic exploit mitigations. Nougat introduced kernel address space layout randomization (KASLR) to increase the difficulty of exploitation. However, the kernel has traditionally had a ton of logging messages leaking memory addresses, making it ineffecive. Searching Kernel.org and CAF, I found a bunch more patches fixing kernel address leaks, making KASLR less useless. There are probably still some things that can leak addresses, and KASLR is implemented rather weakly, but something is better than nothing. Another exploit mitigation I added is support for the ARM PXN bit that can mark userspace code as not executable in kernel context. This prevents a class of exploits known as "return to user".

I also fixed an issue disconnecting from PPTP VPNs reported by @spiked_mistborn. It was a regression introduced by a mismerge I made in r17, leading to a double free.

For whatever reason, the XDA downloads tab appears blank when logged in with my user account, so I can’t upload to the usual spot right now. In the interim, I’ve posted a build to MediaFire: http://www.mediafire.com/file/p2x6g0h3idn8cgz/squid_kernel_r19-osprey.zip

Finally, happy new year everyone!
    Squid Kernel r23

This is a maintenance release with lots of security fixes. It also brings binder updates to make the source more compatible with Oreo. However, the builds I've posted for r23 are still for Nougat ROMs only. I've migrated to the Linaro GCC 7.3 compiler, and fixed numerous compiler warnings in the process.
    Squid Kernel r15

This new build contains a lot of small changes that contribute to a slightly more polished overall experience. In terms of upstream updates, I brought in Linux 3.10.96 and a new f2fs version backported from Linux 4.5. Beyond that, there are a ton of cherry picks from newer Linux versions (up to 4.4). I included a ton of updates and optimizations to various parts of the kernel library (zlib, CRC, math code, list, and bitmap data structures etc). I updated the CFQ scheduler, and it now defaults to IOPS mode, making it much more competitive, and even beating BFQ and FIOPS at some benchmarks. I updated the pseudorandom number generator in the kernel to use a better algorithm and run more efficiently. I also added an extra parameter to IntelliPlug to specify the minimum number of CPUs you want online. I've set the default for this parameter to 2.

I brought in a bunch of changes to make use of more ARM specific instructions and replaced old instruction combinations with newer more effcient assembly instructions. These are mainly micro-optimizations, but they can have a measurable impact put together. I also backported support for using the new ARMv8 crypto instructions in 32 bit mode. All our MSM8916 family ROMs are presently using Qualcomm's hardware crypto engine instead of software crypto, so you won't notice much of a difference in disk performance for encrypted storage. However, any kernel routines using software hashing or crypto will see a major speedup. Userspace code using kernel crypto can also benefit. If a ROM is compiled with Qualcomm hardware accelerated encryption disabled, you will likely see performance benefits there too. I've heard that ARMv8 accelerated software encryption tends to be faster in practice for disk encryption than Qualcomm hardware encryption, as the soft crypto is lower latency.