• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KERNEL] Overclocked Kernel for Galaxy Grand Prime [SM-S920L|SM-G530M/MU/H/P/T/T1/W]

Search This thread

Chromatio

Apr 28, 2018
Well, it seems like most of the games that I am trying to play is force closing, I'm currently using LOS 15.1 ROM. Oh, I haven't tried yet without overclocking.

yubraj1503

Dec 7, 2018
Download link isnt working.. can anybody please help me???

:confused::confused:
These boot images should work on any LOS-based or CAF-source based ROMs (in theory).

Code:
** Disclaimer
I am not responsible if flashing this ROM bricks your
   phone or causes thermonuclear war  and ends the
    world as we know it. You have been warned.
Kernel Information

Device Names

Features

Code:
[B]
[COLOR="Red"]
* Latest CAF kernel source merged into kernel.
* CPU overclock to 1612 MHz
* GPU overclock to 650 MHz
[/COLOR]
* If you have any (reasonable) suggestions
  for anything, tell me.
[/B]

DownloadAll Jenkins builds are testing builds, and as such, are likely to be extremely unstable or unusable.

This goes doubly for these kernels: You know the risks associated with overclocking, and, though stable,
there may be hiccups in the kernel.

Instructions

Installation via recovery (TWRP)

Installation via odin
FAQ

You want to help?

PLEASE, don't PM @vince2678, as he's busy right now, and your questions can be not answered. PM @kentone instead, write here on the post, or on the telegram group, your questions will be responded as soon as we can ;) Understand that we have family, studies and jobs aside of this project. Thanks for your understanding :)

XDA:DevDB Information
[KERNEL] Overclocked Kernel for Galaxy Grand Prime [SM-S920L|SM-G530M/MU/H/P/T/T1/W], Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime

Contributors
vince2678
Source Code: https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8916/android_kernel_samsung_msm8916

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2017-04-16
Last Updated 2017-08-29

Troyzer107

Dec 31, 2018
will this kernel work on lollipop TW

I want to know because I don't want to go through the trouble of rooting my phone installing twrp just to have a bootloop it's just very irritating process someone let me know if it works for lollipop on Grand prime TW

vince2678

Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2016
:confused::confused: These boot images should work on any LOS-based or CAF-source based ROMs (in theory).

Yes, the boot image should work on LOS-based ROMs (RR, DotOS, etc). There is no guarantee, but in most cases it'll work fine.

I want to know because I don't want to go through the trouble of rooting my phone installing twrp just to have a bootloop it's just very irritating process someone let me know if it works for lollipop on Grand prime TW

No.

vince2678

Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2016
New builds are up for all devices, both O and P.

Changelog (01/01/2019 - 02/01/2019)
================================

- Correct Serial number is now listed under Settings
- Correct Bluetooth MAC is now listed under Settings

- Kernel builds for Pie (https://download.msm8916.com/Kernels/16.0/)

Drop a message in the group (https://t.me/joinchat/FzTdQT_pGY5cbyDDiAo6gw) or on the respective thread on xda if there are any issues or regressions.

Last edited:
Reactions: roozbeh158

Llamas_are_Good

Oct 24, 2016
New builds are up for all devices, both O and P.

Changelog (01/01/2019 - 02/01/2019)

- Correct Serial number is now listed under Settings
- Correct Bluetooth MAC is now listed under Settings

- Kernel builds for Pie (https://download.msm8916.com/Kernels/oc_hotplug/16.0/)

Drop a message in the group (https://t.me/joinchat/FzTdQT_pGY5cbyDDiAo6gw) or on the respective thread on xda if there are any issues or regressions.

Hello! Uhm, I don't know if it's just me who's experiencing it, but I can't access the download links? I mean, when I go to the download page, it shows an error 404, not found. tried using another IP address but it still showed the error on the download site.

vince2678

Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2016
Hello! Uhm, I don't know if it's just me who's experiencing it, but I can't access the download links? I mean, when I go to the download page, it shows an error 404, not found. tried using another IP address but it still showed the error on the download site.

The links are generated on a timer. The process usually takes less than a minute, repeated every 15 minutes. You probably clicked the link exactly when it was regenerating the structure.

Shiro39

Dec 27, 2018
flashed the latest version of the kernel (180904) on LineageOS 15.1 (190101) on G530H (XCU) and it works fine
though I don't really notice the performance boost but, yeah... CPU-Z says it's now 1.6 GHz which is 400 MHz faster than the base clock
chckfz.png

vbmedr.png

anyway, @vince2678, how about increasing more the cpu clock by maybe 50-100 MHz?

Last edited:

Troyzer107

Dec 31, 2018
Will this work on AOSP grand prime Oreo

I have installed Oreo AOSP on my grand prime W version and I want to install this kernel but not sure if it's compatible with Oreo someone please reply and let me know

vince2678

Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2016
New kernel builds are up for all devices.

Changelog (16/01/2019 - 17/01/2019)

- New cpu frequency scaling governors have been added
- There is now support for CPU voltage control (using Kernel Adiutor)

The cpu voltage feature is risky by nature, so take care not to raise or lower the voltage by large increments and/or saving
without testing the voltage change first.

http://download.msm8916.com/Kernels/16.0/

Drop a message in the group or on the respective thread on xda if there are any issues or regressions.

Last edited:
Reactions: roozbeh158

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    These boot images should work on any LOS-based or CAF-source based ROMs (in theory).

Code:
    ** Disclaimer
    I am not responsible if flashing this ROM bricks your
       phone or causes thermonuclear war  and ends the
        world as we know it. You have been warned.
    Kernel Information

Device Names

Verify your device codename before downloading any firmwares or recovery images!
    Code:
    [B]SM-S920L[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]gprimeltetfnvzw[/B][/COLOR]
    [B]SM-G530MU[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]gprimeltezt[/B][/COLOR]
    [B]SM-G530M[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]fortunalteub[/B][/COLOR]
    [B]SM-G530H (XX)[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]fortuna3g[/B][/COLOR]
    [B]SM-G530H (XC)[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]fortunave3g[/B][/COLOR]
    [B]SM-G530FZ[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]gprimeltexx[/B][/COLOR]
    [B]SM-G530T/T1/W[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]gprimelte[/B][/COLOR]
    [B]SM-G530P[/B] - [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][B]gprimeltespr[/B][/COLOR]

Features

Code:
    [B]
    [COLOR="Red"]
    * Latest CAF kernel source merged into kernel.
    * CPU overclock to 1612 MHz
    * GPU overclock to 650 MHz
    [/COLOR]
    * If you have any (reasonable) suggestions
      for anything, tell me.
    [/B]

DownloadAll Jenkins builds are testing builds, and as such, are likely to be extremely unstable or unusable.

This goes doubly for these kernels: You know the risks associated with overclocking, and, though stable,
    there may be hiccups in the kernel.

Instructions

If you are completely new to flashing custom ROMs and have no idea how to begin, start by downloading a TWRP image for your device from the links above and flash it using the ODIN tool (see below).

You cannot flash a custom ROM over stock recovery, so downloading a custom recovery is the first thing you will need to do.

Installation via recovery (TWRP)
    * Download a recent .tar file from the links above for your device.

* Reboot into recovery mode [Press Power+Volume Up+Home].

* Plug in your phone into your computer, extract the tar file and place the .img to a location on your Internal or External Storage on a device.

* Click Install on TWRP on your phone and locate the img file in the phone.

* Enjoy your kernel.

Installation via odin
    * Download a recent .tar file from the links above for your device.

* Reboot into ODIN mode [Press Power+Volume Down+Home].

* Plug in your phone into your computer, and open the Odin application, and place the .tar file in the AP slot and flash it.

* Enjoy your kernel
    FAQ

Q: Are you taking device requests?
    A: If and only if the device is using an msm8916 chip, and you're willing to buy me/donate the device for testing, sure.

Q: But I don't have that kind of money! What else?
    A: Alternatively, if you're skilled with Linux and adb, and have an unsupported device, if you're willing to work with me as a tester, that works as well.

Q: Are you accepting feature requests?
    A: Unless you're willing to implement it yourself, no.

Q: Can you make XXX ROM as well as LOS?
    A: Unless more people donate, no. I simply don't have the time to maintain more than LOS nor money to hold that many ROMs on my already (tiny) struggling server.

Q: Can I throw money at you?
    A: Most certainly. Donations are always welcome.

You want to help?

• We need hardware power to get the builds done.
      If you want to help us go faster, send a PM to @kentone or
      @vince2678. Your computer will act as a client for our jenkins server.

• In a perfect world, that would be all, but unfortunately no. We need money to keep the server running and keep bringing these ROMs.
    • As always, logcat any problem you find.

PLEASE, don't PM @vince2678, as he's busy right now, and your questions can be not answered. PM @kentone instead, write here on the post, or on the telegram group, your questions will be responded as soon as we can ;) Understand that we have family, studies and jobs aside of this project. Thanks for your understanding :)

XDA:DevDB Information
    [KERNEL] Overclocked Kernel for Galaxy Grand Prime [SM-S920L|SM-G530M/MU/H/P/T/T1/W], Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime

Contributors
    vince2678
    Source Code: https://github.com/Galaxy-MSM8916/android_kernel_samsung_msm8916

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2017-04-16
    Last Updated 2017-08-29
    This is back up again, I'll update the thread OP (hopefully soon) when I can.

For now, new releases can be found on the dl server :

https://download.msm8916.com/Kernels
    Reserved.
    Great work Vince! Gonna try it soon nd will let you know.
    apparently we were abandoned... :'(

No one has abandoned anything. We're working on bringing in the best performance in the next update, so it will take time and testing.
    Maybe stupid question
    But if CPU overclocked to 1612
    It won't be damaged or something
    I mean why Samsung didn't make GP stock CPU like this ??

Sorry if its stupid question
    But if it won't damage the phone CPU
    The performance will increased as hell

I've been using it myself for about a month with no adverse effects.

I chose 1612Mhz because it's fast enough without risking instability. At higher frequencies the memory might not be able to keep up with the cpu/gpu clock, so I have not gone higher than that (though they may work).