• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KERNEL] Overclocked Kernel

Search This thread

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Even though HTC hasn't released the kernel source there are still a few things we can do.

Attached are two modified kernels.

3.0.8-01136 is based on the current HTC European kernel
3.0.8-01053 is based on the current T-Mobile kernel

They will probably work better if you use are currently running a similar kernel.

All I did was add the following frequencies to the cpufreq table:

1.62GHz, 1.728GHz and 1.809GHz

It boots at 1.809GHz

Use setCPU to change the maximum frequency if you don't want it to run at up 1.809GHz.

I know there is a module to do more or less the same thing as this but having it built into the kernel is much easier and it allows the ondemand governor to use all the new frequencies.

I wrote some code to patch the kernel so it's easy to make this work with any other kernel version.

See http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=26961470&postcount=24 for the source and instructions.

These are installable zips, flash the kernel using the latest CWM (at least version 5.8.3.1).
Copy the zip file to /sdcard, reboot into recovery and install just like a ROM.

If you want to test it first you can extract the boot.img from the zip and boot using:

fastboot boot boot.img

Attachments

• update-3.0.8-01136-g9d2ad31-dzo.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 658
  • update-3.0.8-01053-g5dc1dc4-dzo.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 452
Last edited:

enzomtrx

Feb 11, 2010
bama
Works great. Bumped up another 100 points in quadrant.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1338776921070.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338776921070.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 903

jesseserna

May 5, 2010
Zip for CWM Please!

Yes a zip for CWM would be well appreciated:D. And also, would this work while using BinDroid XTC v1.0.2? Thanks:)

jesseserna

May 5, 2010
How hard is a fastboot cmd? :p

Not hard to fastboot at all, not at all.
Some of us just like to have a second option. :p

A fastboot command is actually faster seeing as technically it is only one reboot instead of two that cwm is lol

I don't always have access to a computer, so downloading on the go and flashing it at my convenience is a big plus.

Sent from my HTC One S using xda premium

Sent from F.E.M.A. region 9

Last edited:

jesseserna

May 5, 2010
Anyways, gonna do a backup and "Flash" this via "CWM" and see how it goes. B.T.W. thanks for the quick update on this DZO! :D

jesseserna

May 5, 2010
Well here's what I got! Using BinDroid XTC v1.0.2. All I can say is THANK YOU DZO! :cool::thumbup:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1338795230332.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338795230332.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
Reactions: Castellano2

jesseserna

May 5, 2010
How can you get so high like that? I am also running my One S at 1.8 GHz, but I can only archive 5500 points. Can you tell me how can your score be done?

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
Ha ha ha! I don't know? I ran the quadrant standard shortly after a reboot. I think it was some kind of fluke. Lol:p Because every time I run quadrant now I only get 4700-5100! I must say its my best sreeny yet. :D

plakers

Apr 26, 2011
Lyon
Is voltage table "tunable" too? ;)

A slight undervolt for the whole frequency should be great! For stock or overclocked frequencies, but I don't even know... Does SetCPU (or other tools) detects the kernel as "undervoltable" ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Even though HTC hasn't released the kernel source there are still a few things we can do.

Attached are two modified kernels.

3.0.8-01136 is based on the current HTC European kernel
    3.0.8-01053 is based on the current T-Mobile kernel

They will probably work better if you use are currently running a similar kernel.

All I did was add the following frequencies to the cpufreq table:

1.62GHz, 1.728GHz and 1.809GHz

It boots at 1.809GHz

Use setCPU to change the maximum frequency if you don't want it to run at up 1.809GHz.

I know there is a module to do more or less the same thing as this but having it built into the kernel is much easier and it allows the ondemand governor to use all the new frequencies.

I wrote some code to patch the kernel so it's easy to make this work with any other kernel version.

See http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=26961470&postcount=24 for the source and instructions.

These are installable zips, flash the kernel using the latest CWM (at least version 5.8.3.1).
    Copy the zip file to /sdcard, reboot into recovery and install just like a ROM.

If you want to test it first you can extract the boot.img from the zip and boot using:

fastboot boot boot.img
    Is voltage table "tunable" too? ;)

A slight undervolt for the whole frequency should be great! For stock or overclocked frequencies, but I don't even know... Does SetCPU (or other tools) detects the kernel as "undervoltable" ?

Undevolting is possible but a bug in the Krait CPU means that the minimum voltage is always set to 1.15v so it probably wouldn't do much good.

I've put the code on github now so you can always build it yourself.

You need an unsigned boot.img (strip the first 256 bytes from a signed image to get an unsigned one) and /proc/kallsyms from a system running the same kernel.
    It needs an arm toolchain and obviously a Linux box.

Code:
    git clone git://github.com/dzo/patchkernel.git
    cd patchkernel
    make
    ...copy the boot.img and kallsyms files
    sh extract
    sh repack
    Not sure you can go CWM on this until we have s-off.

Sent from my HTC One S using xda premium

No, S-OFF is really not necessary for flashing anything on this device. I've attached two flashable zips to the first post.

Let me know if it doesn't work for you.
    This will update you to the newest kernel if you are still running the older version. Worked flawlessly for me

EDIT: Got it working please cancel my double post. Thanks and sorry for spam ;)

Sent from my HTC One S using XDA

I think some versions of HBOOT have implemented write protection for parts of the emmc, what version do you have?