• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KERNEL][PERMISSIVE]Galaxy Tab S3 - SM-T820/T825 permissive kernel

Search This thread

boyofdestiny

Jun 22, 2009
I was able to restore the stock boot without wiping data, but the wireless issue of forgetting passwords remain, though I could turn the wireless on and off in the settings without an issue. I lost some functions in some apps so I went back to the custom kernel. I was able to get around the issue of not being able to turn wireless on and of in the settings by bringing the wlan0 interface down and up via command line. I tried to bring the interface down, copy the wpa supplicant and replace current. One the interface is brought up, any network that has an encryption key is removed and entering key is needed.

I manually created a wireless network with wpa on the tablet one that wasn't in range, then enabled it, I was able to connect. Turned off that network, it went to another known network. Enabled the network again and connected.

My conclusion, which may not be interesting to some, secured wireless networks are removed when the device is rebooted or wireless is turned off. Haven't been able to find a method to restore networks other than manual entry.

Sent from my SM-T820 using XDA Free mobile app

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
I was able to restore the stock boot without wiping data, but the wireless issue of forgetting passwords remain, though I could turn the wireless on and off in the settings without an issue. I lost some functions in some apps so I went back to the custom kernel. I was able to get around the issue of not being able to turn wireless on and of in the settings by bringing the wlan0 interface down and up via command line. I tried to bring the interface down, copy the wpa supplicant and replace current. One the interface is brought up, any network that has an encryption key is removed and entering key is needed.

I manually created a wireless network with wpa on the tablet one that wasn't in range, then enabled it, I was able to connect. Turned off that network, it went to another known network. Enabled the network again and connected.

My conclusion, which may not be interesting to some, secured wireless networks are removed when the device is rebooted or wireless is turned off. Haven't been able to find a method to restore networks other than manual entry.
You can use the app neverforget wifi which works to a degree. Apparently all that is required is to enter wifi settings and it will automatically repopulate the WiFi password.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nu.auto.wifi

Last edited:

boyofdestiny

Jun 22, 2009

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
That app is super, does what I need. I was going to write a wpa_cli script, to find out that wpa_cli isn't provided in the stock firmware. This app saves me time and headaches, thanks.
So its working as intended and repopulates the WiFi password automatically?

boyofdestiny

Jun 22, 2009
So its working as intended and repopulates the WiFi password automatically?

Yes, I connected to a secure network, reboot, and it automatically connected upon restart.

I will see how well it can roam and switch between networks, I will test that when I get home where I have 4 different networks to test between.

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
Yes, I connected to a secure network, reboot, and it automatically connected upon restart.

I will see how well it can roam and switch between networks, I will test that when I get home where I have 4 different networks to test between.
That's good because one of my testers stated it only worked if you went into the wifi settings first and then it would auto populate the wifi password.

boyofdestiny

Jun 22, 2009
Been successful at moving around and automatically being moved between wireless networks. The app is working well, I haven't had to move between networks manually. The ro.securestoreage.support in build.prop is set to false, not sure if it has any bearing on it working or not.

Sent from my SM-T820 using XDA Free mobile app

jonathonalexander

Oct 8, 2016
only issue that I have been having it reconnecting to a PEAP auth wireless, the network is saved, but I receive an authentication error when trying to reconnect. No issues with wpa psk networks. Also I am also using Magisk. I flashed v12 instead of using the superSU in the install steps.

Can you link me the exact permissive kernel you used?

jonathonalexander

Oct 8, 2016
This is the one that I used,
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817550096634767515

I have noticed today that Bluetooth will not turn on, I am not sure if that has been this way from the start or not. Haven't used it on this tablet yet. Trying to enable it through the service commands don't work either.
@ashyx I have just found out that Amazon prime video doesn't work in full HD or HDR with root .. even with magisk hide. Do you know of a way round this ? It was a selling point of the tablet

Ajmartin001

May 29, 2017
Hey does this allow a) Netflix on a rooted or nodded device to work and or b) enable secure folder to work again on tab S3 once rooted? Thx!

boyofdestiny

Jun 22, 2009
Hey does this allow a) Netflix on a rooted or nodded device to work and or b) enable secure folder to work again on tab S3 once rooted? Thx!

Netflix works, you need to hide root with magisk, as netflix is now verified with google, so if root is detected you can't download it from the play store. You can download it from apk mirrors and install it that way, I have read where people have done this and netflix will still work, as of now netflix isn't detecting root, just using the google verification.

boyofdestiny

Jun 22, 2009

I have noticed today that Bluetooth will not turn on, I am not sure if that has been this way from the start or not. Haven't used it on this tablet yet. Trying to enable it through the service commands don't work either.

In case someone else has issues with bluetooth not being able to turn on, and trying to use bluetooth fix apps, and other commands just aren't working. Here is what I did, and also the symptom.
Detail of problem: If your bluetooth is grayed out, select it to turn it on, it slides over, but remains grayed out. And slides back over to off position after leaving the setting page.
Do this:
1. Go to /data/misc/bluedroid directory
2. rename bt_config.conf and bt_config.bak files, or move them to sd card.
3. run the following command in step 4 from a terminal, or by connecting to adb shell.
4. am start -a android.bluetooth.adapter.action.REQUEST_ENABLE
5. A message will pop up about a bluetooth enable request, agree to that and bluetooth is working.

Reactions: eos and hurray

eos

Mar 25, 2007
In case someone else has issues with bluetooth not being able to turn on, and trying to use bluetooth fix apps, and other commands just aren't working. Here is what I did, and also the symptom.
Detail of problem: If your bluetooth is grayed out, select it to turn it on, it slides over, but remains grayed out. And slides back over to off position after leaving the setting page.
Do this:
3. run the following command in step 4 from a terminal, or by connecting to adb shell.
5. A message will pop up about a bluetooth enable request, agree to that and bluetooth is working.

Thank you, very interesting. Have you found out yet how to make it stick after reboot?

Reactions: wayne0818

Catpoule

Aug 19, 2011
Saint Claude
Hello everybody. First of all thank you for giving us a permissive kernel.
I am willing to flash it because I need to install sound mods on it. I m talking about viper Dolby beats. I have it on my s8+. I am surprised to see that there are not any custom Rom development for tab s3. I am wondering why ? No one bought this tablet or what ?lol
Please could some one tell me if viper works on it with permissive kernel posted here ? If yes would you be can to link me the right files to download for viper? Thanks a lot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a permissive kernel for the the SM-T820 and SM-T825.
    There is nothing special about this kernel except it will allow permissive mode. Some apps require it so it may be useful to someone.

Features:
    ◘ Forced Encryption disabled
    ◘ DM-Verity disabled
    ◘ Root restrictions removed
    ◘ NTFS support << To be added
    ◘ F2FS support << To be aded

◘ Current build is -XXU1AQD6 (It's preferable to be using the same firmware build or your device may not boot. however the kernel is working with firmware XXU1AQDC)

Issues:
    ◘ WIFI password forgotten after reboot.

NOTE: Due to Forced Encryption being disabled you MUST remove encryption from the data partition by using the FORMAT DATA button in TWRP. (THIS WILL WIPE ALL YOUR DATA!)

For information how to decrypt see the TWRP thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/ga...recovery-twrp-3-1-0-1-samsung-galaxy-t3581359

Download (Must be flashed with ODIN)

◘ SM-T820: T820_permissive_boot_AQD6.

◘ SM-T825: SM-T825_permissive_boot_AQD6

IMPORTANT: THIS WILL TRIP THE KNOX COUNTER AND I HOLD NO RESPONSIBILTY FOR WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DECIDE TO FLASH THIS. ITS UP TO YOU TO MAKE A DEVICE BACKUP WITH TWRP OR HAVE THE STOCK FIRMWARE TO HAND!

Credits: Me, my testers @HUBSi01, @jonathonalexander
    Please note I don't own this device and spend a lot of my free time bringing these builds for you to use and benefit from.

FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED PLEASE.
    THANKS.

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

@ashyx for Wifi Password Fix look here: github

Do this:
    @ashyx so I will try that now then.

tell me exactly what you need me to do, from the beginning.
    @ashyx so I will try that now then.

tell me exactly what you need me to do, from the beginning.

Give me a moment and I'll post the stock kernel for you to flash and you can report the outcome.

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673368273298952995