KERNEL ❯ PIXEL 4A 5G ❯ Proton Kernel v1.2

Search This thread

mihailgreceanu

Nov 25, 2014
any method i could get a custom font installed? even at the price of losing one of the 2 fonts available (replacing one of the defaults), ifonts does not work

PariahNine

Sep 16, 2009
Okay, so it's been awhile since I've modded a phone. I Installed the Proton AOSP, installed Magisk, Rooted, installed Smali Patcher, got everything going but couldn't get an app moved to /system/priv-app and thought maybe flashing the kernel might help with r/w issues I was having. I didn't read the instructions thoroughly and attempted to flash the file directly to boot_a instead of booting into the image, so now I'm getting a bootloop back into Fastboot with the Enter reason being 'no valid slot to boot'.

Do I need to start the whole process over? Or can I reflash the kernel? I tried following the instructions after my flub and this is where I'm at.

Halp please.

PariahNine

Sep 16, 2009
Okay, so it's been awhile since I've modded a phone. I Installed the Proton AOSP, installed Magisk, Rooted, installed Smali Patcher, got everything going but couldn't get an app moved to /system/priv-app and thought maybe flashing the kernel might help with r/w issues I was having. I didn't read the instructions thoroughly and attempted to flash the file directly to boot_a instead of booting into the image, so now I'm getting a bootloop back into Fastboot with the Enter reason being 'no valid slot to boot'.

Do I need to start the whole process over? Or can I reflash the kernel? I tried following the instructions after my flub and this is where I'm at.

Halp please.

Nevermind. I figured it out. I pulled the boot.img from the Proton package, flashed that and was able install this properly.

MegaJuif

Nov 17, 2018
Sherbrooke
about rooting stuff, i need to flash the root the boot, and then flash the kernel ? i did flash the kernel and after i rooted with magisk and some modules prevent me to boot system, so i reflashed stock boot.

MegaJuif

Nov 17, 2018
Sherbrooke
after many attemps, it appear that some of the magisk module prevent me from booting to system (like battgoneCC) witch was working with elemental kernel. theres some flaws here but im not a pro and i cant point where exactly it breaks.

Hung0702

Mar 1, 2009
after many attemps, it appear that some of the magisk module prevent me from booting to system (like battgoneCC) witch was working with elemental kernel. theres some flaws here but im not a pro and i cant point where exactly it breaks.

No you need to boot from the image, do not flash it. Look for the boot command elsewhere in this thread.

leon_genius

Nov 2, 2018
Specifically I use the iptables command to change the outgoing TTL of my device for tethering purposes:

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 65

Kernel module xt_hl is needed to enable iptables target TTL. It is disabled by default in Android kernels, and can be enabled by setting CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_HL to yes in defconfig.

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
Proton Kernel 1.2 is now available with security updates, March feature drop compatibility, and many other improvements.

This kernel was not updated in January or February because Google did not update the kernel. I didn't get a chance to work on the kernel in March, but it is now up-to-date for April.

Usage with my ProtonAOSP ROM is recommended to get the most out of your phone. The ROM does not include Proton Kernel, so you will need to flash it yourself. The kernel alone will work just as well on stock, but you will not get the benefits of the ROM. More tightly coupled features may be added in the future.

Changes:
• March and April updates
• Performance & battery improvements
• Optimizations from Sultan
• System call filters compiled to machine code for 66% faster filtering
• Reduced CPU usage when using cellular data (for testing with 5G mmWave networks)
• Fixed stuttering caused by scheduler task misplacement
• Updated compiler to Clang 13

This version is compatible with the March feature drop, so it will no longer falsely report that the battery is overheating.

Download

Donate to support development: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Proton Kernel 1.2 is now available with security updates, March feature drop compatibility, and many other improvements.

This kernel was not updated in January or February because Google did not update the kernel. I didn't get a chance to work on the kernel in March, but it is now up-to-date for April.

Usage with my ProtonAOSP ROM is recommended to get the most out of your phone. The ROM does not include Proton Kernel, so you will need to flash it yourself. The kernel alone will work just as well on stock, but you will not get the benefits of the ROM. More tightly coupled features may be added in the future.

Changes:
    • March and April updates
    • Performance & battery improvements
    • Optimizations from Sultan
    • Reduced CPU usage when using cellular data (for testing with 5G mmWave networks)
    • Fixed stuttering caused by scheduler task misplacement
    • Updated compiler to Clang 13

This version is compatible with the March feature drop, so it will no longer falsely report that the battery is overheating.

Download

Donate to support development: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee
    Kernel module xt_hl is needed to enable iptables target TTL. It is disabled by default in Android kernels, and can be enabled by setting CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_HL to yes in defconfig.
    TTL spoofing support will be added in the next version.
    Proton Kernel 1.1 is now available with security updates, improved performance tuning, extra RAM, and more.

This update is required for the kernel to work properly on December ROMs, including the new version of ProtonAOSP. It will not boot on older ROMs.

Usage with my ProtonAOSP ROM is recommended to get the most out of your phone now that it is available for the Pixel 4a 5G. The ROM does not include Proton Kernel, so you will need to flash it yourself. The kernel alone will work just as well on stock, but you will not get the benefits of the ROM. More tightly coupled features may be added in the future.

Changelog:
    • Updated to stock December kernel base (will not boot on older ROMs)
    • Improved CPU frequency and energy model tuning for performance
    • Further reduced display power usage for both Pixel 5 and 4a 5G
    • Enabled TCP ECN for better handling of poor networks (similar to iOS 11+)
    • Unlocked 5 MiB of extra RAM for apps
    • Added support for full-blown isolated Linux containers
    • Added support for USB modem-like devices (e.g. RFID tools)
    • Reduced debugging overhead
    • Fixed fastbootd flashing

Download

Proton Kernel • Pixel 4a 5G
    Performance-oriented kernel​

Proton Kernel is a minimal kernel focused on improving overall UX with performance and battery tuning.

Installation
    This kernel is provided as a bootable flasher image. It is not a boot image for flashing into the boot partition. Boot the image with "fastboot boot ProtonKernel-pixel5-VERSION.img" to flash it. The image is specially packed with a custom flasher that is fast and easy to use, so flashing it into the boot partition directly will not work.

All versions of all ROMs are supported, as well as Magisk if you wish to use it. Magisk will be preserved after flashing if you already have it installed. If not, you can flash Magisk after flashing the kernel.

DO NOT FLASH THE IMAGE DIRECTLY TO THE BOOT PARTITION! It will not work, no matter what you flash it with — fastboot, kernel managers, etc.

Features
    • Advanced CPU tuning specifically for the Snapdragon 765G to improve performance and reduce jitter
    • Scheduler ramp/decay tuning for faster response to quick actions
    • Display power-saving tweaks (mostly Pixel 5 only)
    • Near-instant display wakeup (Pixel 5 only)
    • Reduced touch latency and motion jitter (at the cost of losing Deep Press)
    • ThinLTO optimizations for performance
    • TCP ECN, BBR congestion control, and fq_codel network scheduler for faster and more reliable networking
    • 80 MiB of extra RAM unlocked for apps to use
    • More linear and consistent battery percentage curve
    • Custom fast & easy kernel flasher with support for Magisk and all ROMs
    • Minimal debugging for better security, performance, and reduced size
    • Sultan's Simple Low Memory Killer to improve memory utilization
    • Tuning for F2FS garbage collection, low-level atomic operations, and more
    • Compiled with the latest Proton Clang 13 toolchain
    • zRAM disabled to reduce CPU waste
    • WireGuard VPN acceleration
    • Support for power user tasks: USB modem-like devices (e.g. RFID tools), custom virtual USB Ethernet networking, isolated Linux containers
    • SafetyNet basic attestation passing without Magisk

Downloads
    Downloads and changelogs can be found on GitHub. The topmost release is the latest.

Make sure you download a flasher image, not source code! Source code cannot be flashed.

Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Source code
    What exact iptables features are you talking about? All Android kernels have iptables as Android requires it for networking.

Specifically I use the iptables command to change the outgoing TTL of my device for tethering purposes:

iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 65
    how can i magisk root on stock rom and this kernel any advice appriciated
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-root-pixel-5-xl-android-11-r.4187609/

That will tell you how to root the phone, then install a kernel.
    This kernel's battery life is amazing. I'm getting ~0.57%/hr. isle drain and ~5.4%/hr. active drain after several days of normal usage. Smooth as can be also. Thank you again for the amazing work, @kdrag0n.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone