Proton Kernel • Pixel 5
Proton Kernel is a minimal kernel focused on improving overall UX with performance and battery tuning.
Usage with my ProtonAOSP ROM is recommended to get the most out of your phone. The ROM does not include Proton Kernel, so you will need to flash it yourself. The kernel alone will work just as well on stock, but you will not get the benefits of the ROM. More tightly coupled features may be added in the future.
This kernel is provided as a bootable flasher image. It is not a boot image for flashing into the boot partition. Boot the image with "fastboot boot ProtonKernel-pixel5-VERSION.img" to flash it. The image is specially packed with a custom flasher that is fast and easy to use, so flashing it into the boot partition directly will not work.
All versions of all ROMs are supported, as well as Magisk if you wish to use it. Magisk will be preserved after flashing if you already have it installed. If not, you can install Magisk by patching your boot image before flashing the kernel.
DO NOT FLASH THE IMAGE DIRECTLY TO THE BOOT PARTITION! It will not work, no matter what you flash it with — fastboot, kernel managers, etc.
• Advanced CPU tuning specifically for the Snapdragon 765G to improve performance and reduce jitter
• Scheduler ramp/decay tuning for faster response to quick actions
• Display power-saving tweaks (mostly Pixel 5 only)
• Near-instant display wakeup (Pixel 5 only)
• Reduced touch latency and motion jitter (at the cost of losing Deep Press)
• ThinLTO optimizations for performance
• TCP ECN, BBR congestion control, and fq_codel network scheduler for faster and more reliable networking
• 80 MiB of extra RAM unlocked for apps to use
• More linear and consistent battery percentage curve
• Custom fast & easy kernel flasher with support for Magisk and all ROMs
• Minimal debugging for better security, performance, and reduced size
• Sultan's Simple Low Memory Killer to improve memory utilization
• Tuning for F2FS garbage collection, low-level atomic operations, and more
• System call filters compiled to machine code for 66% faster filtering
• Reduced CPU usage when using cellular data (for testing with 5G mmWave networks)
• Compiled with the latest Proton Clang 13 toolchain
• zRAM disabled to reduce CPU waste
• WireGuard VPN acceleration
• Support for power user tasks: USB modem-like devices (e.g. RFID tools), custom virtual USB Ethernet networking, isolated Linux containers
• SafetyNet basic attestation passing without Magisk
Downloads and changelogs can be found on GitHub. The topmost release is the latest.
Make sure you download a flasher image, not source code! Source code cannot be flashed.
Join the Telegram group for support and extras
Donate to support development: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee