KERNEL ❯ PIXEL 5 ❯ Proton Kernel

Search This thread

Cj719

Is this the version to support android 12?
Protonnnn Kernel 1.2 is now available with security updates, March feature drop compatibility, and many other improvements.

This kernel was not updated in January or February because Google did not update the kernel. I didn't get a chance to work on the kernel in March, but it is now up-to-date for April.

Usage with my ProtonAOSP ROM is recommended to get the most out of your phone. The ROM does not include Proton Kernel, so you will need to flash it yourself. The kernel alone will work just as well on stock, but you will not get the benefits of the ROM. More tightly coupled features may be added in the future.

Changes:

This version is compatible with the March feature drop, so it will no longer falsely report that the battery is overheating.

Download

Donate to support development: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

kdrag0n

Feb 19, 2016
kdrag0n.dev
I've updated to 1.2, but I'm still getting the "Optimizing for Battery Health" message that limits charging to 80%.
Are you sure your device or battery aren't actually overheating? That's what the feature is designed to protect against, and I've never seen it trigger falsely on my device.
If so, please get logs with the SysLog app shortly after connecting your charger and getting the message.
Any response to this? @kdrag0n

Would you accept a PR on GitHub for this if one was submitted or is this something that you'd prefer not to include in a kernel implementation?
No, I'm not a fan of kcal's code quality and this is not a customization-oriented kernel.

Reactions: h4waii

swbf2lord

Dec 13, 2009
Florida
Are you sure your device or battery aren't actually overheating? That's what the feature is designed to protect against, and I've never seen it trigger falsely on my device.
No, it was pretty cool to the touch. After a few days though (and letting the battery drain some), it seems to have gone away. Back to 100%!

Edit:
For more info, it was the same behavior as 1.1 after flashing, where it showed it was constantly connected to a charger, and optimizing for battery health. When actually plugged in, it was limited to 80%. Fixed now, apparently.

Last edited:

lwrncslcd

Mar 23, 2019
Screenshot_20210419-123805_Settings.png

Is this kernel version correct for Proton Kernel v1.2?

ViperPyro

Feb 9, 2010
View attachment 5283445
Is this kernel version correct for Proton Kernel v1.2?
No. You are on a Feb 8 build, and not even of Proton. It looks like it did not flash and you are still on stock Kernel.
Here is what it should be, notice under Kernel Version.
Screenshot_20210419-082350_Quickstep_2.png

hi, can anyone explain (yes newbie here) the flashing process? thanks in advance

Connect your phone to computer, enable USB debugging, download latest Android platform tools (google it), open Explorer to the directory containing adb.exe, copy the Proton*.img file into the same folder, open CMD prompt there (click in the path bar in Explorer and type cmd), type "adb reboot bootloader" without ", permit any popups on your phone, wait for it to reboot to bootloader, then type "fastboot boot ProtonKernel-pixel5-VERSION.img" without the " and replacing the VERSION with whichever one you downloaded, wait, good to go!

Reactions: jorgeccastro

jorgeccastro

Mar 1, 2016
No. You are on a Feb 8 build, and not even of Proton. It looks like it did not flash and you are still on stock Kernel.
Here is what it should be, notice under Kernel Version.
View attachment 5284007

Connect your phone to computer, enable USB debugging, download latest Android platform tools (google it), open Explorer to the directory containing adb.exe, copy the Proton*.img file into the same folder, open CMD prompt there (click in the path bar in Explorer and type cmd), type "adb reboot bootloader" without ", permit any popups on your phone, wait for it to reboot to bootloader, then type "fastboot boot ProtonKernel-pixel5-VERSION.img" without the " and replacing the VERSION with whichever one you downloaded, wait, good to go!
Thank you!

tonyreimer

Mar 14, 2011
i installed the proton rom via web installer then flashed this kernel before i installed magisk, how can i root now? do i have to install the whole rom again?

dark2099

• Aug 27, 2012
    Chicago
    i installed the proton rom via web installer then flashed this kernel before i installed magisk, how can i root now? do i have to install the whole rom again?
    Use the web installer again to re-flash the ROM, but don't use the full wipe option, will just overwrite the files without erasing anything. Then flash magisk, then install the kernel.

Reactions: tonyreimer

elong7681

• May 23, 2015
    US
    Google Pixel 2 XL
    Google Pixel 5
    Maybe a dumb question but if I don't need root but want to run this kernel... Would it be bad to flask the kernel from fastboot then lock bootloader again?
    Yes that would be very bad if anything went wrong and you couldn't get back into developer settings to allow you computer to talk to Android then you might end up with a very expensive paperweight.

thewraith420

Sep 3, 2011
    Google Pixel
    Google Pixel 2 XL
    Yes that would be very bad if anything went wrong and you couldn't get back into developer settings to allow you computer to talk to Android then you might end up with a very expensive paperweight.
    What I had in mind was leaving the OEM unlock toggle on so I could still unlock at will without having to get into dev options in the actual Rom... That said if no1 else has tried it I don't think I'm going to either.

rav101

Dec 1, 2013
    Walsall
    Google Pixel 5
    What I had in mind was leaving the OEM unlock toggle on so I could still unlock at will without having to get into dev options in the actual Rom... That said if no1 else has tried it I don't think I'm going to either.
    Definitely don't try it without confirmation. I know ProtonROM isn't made in such a way that allows the bootloader to be locked and it to still work. I don't know if it's the same with the kernel on stock ROM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Trying to boot the img however I keep receiving the following error:

FAILED (remote: 'Error verifying the received boot.img: Invalid Parameter')
      fastboot: error: Command failed

What am I missing?
      Going go through all the normal questions, just so we don't circle back to this after trying anything else, but is your bootloader unlocked, do yo have the latest version of platform tools, are you using the "fastboot boot kernel.img" instead of "fastboot flash boot kernel.img". When ever I do any flashing, after connecting my phone to the PC, will reboot it into the bootloader via ADB using the command "adb reboot bootloader", then from there run all the commands.

Latest Platform Tools
      Proton Kernel
      Performance-oriented kernel​

Proton Kernel is a minimal kernel focused on improving overall UX with performance and battery tuning.

Usage with my ProtonAOSP ROM is recommended to get the most out of your phone. The ROM does not include Proton Kernel, so you will need to flash it yourself. The kernel alone will work just as well on stock, but you will not get the benefits of the ROM. More tightly coupled features may be added in the future.

Installation
      This kernel is provided as a bootable flasher image. It is not a boot image for flashing into the boot partition. Boot the image with "fastboot boot ProtonKernel-pixel5-VERSION.img" to flash it. The image is specially packed with a custom flasher that is fast and easy to use, so flashing it into the boot partition directly will not work.

All versions of all ROMs are supported, as well as Magisk if you wish to use it. Magisk will be preserved after flashing if you already have it installed. If not, you can install Magisk by patching your boot image before flashing the kernel.

DO NOT FLASH THE IMAGE DIRECTLY TO THE BOOT PARTITION! It will not work, no matter what you flash it with — fastboot, kernel managers, etc.

Features
      • Advanced CPU tuning specifically for the Snapdragon 765G to improve performance and reduce jitter
      • Scheduler ramp/decay tuning for faster response to quick actions
      • Display power-saving tweaks (mostly Pixel 5 only)
      • Near-instant display wakeup (Pixel 5 only)
      • Reduced touch latency and motion jitter (at the cost of losing Deep Press)
      • ThinLTO optimizations for performance
      • TCP ECN, BBR congestion control, and fq_codel network scheduler for faster and more reliable networking
      • 80 MiB of extra RAM unlocked for apps to use
      • More linear and consistent battery percentage curve
      • Custom fast & easy kernel flasher with support for Magisk and all ROMs
      • Minimal debugging for better security, performance, and reduced size
      • Sultan's Simple Low Memory Killer to improve memory utilization
      • Tuning for F2FS garbage collection, low-level atomic operations, and more
      • System call filters compiled to machine code for 66% faster filtering
      • Reduced CPU usage when using cellular data (for testing with 5G mmWave networks)
      • Compiled with the latest Proton Clang 13 toolchain
      • zRAM disabled to reduce CPU waste
      • WireGuard VPN acceleration
      • Support for power user tasks: USB modem-like devices (e.g. RFID tools), custom virtual USB Ethernet networking, isolated Linux containers
      • SafetyNet basic attestation passing without Magisk

Downloads
      Downloads and changelogs can be found on GitHub. The topmost release is the latest.

Make sure you download a flasher image, not source code! Source code cannot be flashed.

Join the Telegram group for support and extras

Donate to support development: recurring donation to keep the project alive in the long term or buy me a coffee

Source code
      Proton Kernel 1.1 is now available with security updates, improved performance tuning, extra RAM, and more.

This update is required for the kernel to work properly on December ROMs, including the new version of ProtonAOSP. It will not boot on older ROMs.

Changelog:
      • Updated to stock December kernel base (will not boot on older ROMs)
      • Improved CPU frequency and energy model tuning for performance
      • Further reduced display power usage for both Pixel 5 and 4a 5G
      • Enabled TCP ECN for better handling of poor networks (similar to iOS 11+)
      • Unlocked 5 MiB of extra RAM for apps
      • Added support for full-blown isolated Linux containers
      • Added support for USB modem-like devices (e.g. RFID tools)
      • Reduced debugging overhead
      • Fixed fastbootd flashing

Download

Proton Kernel 1.2 is now available with security updates, March feature drop compatibility, and many other improvements.

This kernel was not updated in January or February because Google did not update the kernel. I didn't get a chance to work on the kernel in March, but it is now up-to-date for April.

Changes:
      • March and April updates
      • Performance & battery improvements
      • Optimizations from Sultan
      • System call filters compiled to machine code for 66% faster filtering
      • Reduced CPU usage when using cellular data (for testing with 5G mmWave networks)
      • Fixed stuttering caused by scheduler task misplacement
      • Updated compiler to Clang 13

This version is compatible with the March feature drop, so it will no longer falsely report that the battery is overheating.

Download

Proton Kernel 1.4 has been released.

Changes:
      • May security patch

Download

Looking at the three kernel options, glad to see some Pixel 5 love!
      Does Proton have display improvements like CleanSlate? These seem super useful and I do not see them mentioned in the feature list unless they are in display power saving tweaks. Just curious.

- High Brightness Mode - slightly increase lumens in highest brightness level (panel's HBM)
      - Always On Display dimmer - Lower the brightness for AOD screen in doze mode, when normal screen brightness is also low
      - Backlight Dimmer - possibility to use lower panel brightness
      - Face down screen off - put phone face down to turn screen off
      Manually-controlled HBM may be added in the future. Google already has ways for the ROM to enable it when appropriate, but I'm not sure what the criteria for that are.

I'm not convinced that backlight dimmer will do anything because the brightness sent to the display is already the minimum. That feature is for devices where this not the case.

AOD dimmer and screen off gestures will never be added. Those features do not belong in the kernel, they should be (and are much better when) implemented at the ROM/app level. The separation of the kernel and userspace exists for a good reason.