• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KERNEL][PLAY] LuPuS-iCs-BeTa-v12 [LINARO][ICS-BETA BASED][UPDATED 20-12-12]

Should I make and would you use a LuPuS stock GB kernel??

• Yes

Votes: 42 68.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

wedgess

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
www.pac-rom.com
LuPuS-iCs-BeTa
abzNncsi.png

Can be used with all ICS-BETA ROMS
LuPuSv7 kernel [CM9 BASED] HERE

Just thought I would create a single post for this kernel, even though it was built for LuPuS MIUI,
It can be used for other ROMS as stated above. I haven't had much time to add much but I will
try update it in the next few days :fingers-crossed: Anyway onto the downloads and whats added
so far. I will add the sources for the kernel tomorrow when I get time plus try add more things over the next few days.

Disclaimer

Code:
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]#include[/COLOR] [COLOR="Magenta"]<std_disclaimer.h>[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]/*
* Your warranty is now void.. LOL I guess you knew it already.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, you getting dumped or you getting fired because your phone 
* bootloops and alarm does not go off. Please do some research if you have any  
* concerns about features included in my kernel before using it! YOU and only 
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
*/

[COLOR="Magenta"]#if[/COLOR]
You have a [COLOR="DarkGreen"]question[/COLOR] post it in the [COLOR="DarkRed"]thread[/COLOR],
Instead of [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Pm'ing me[/COLOR], as other users may
experience you [COLOR="DarkRed"]problems[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Magenta"]#endif[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Added into Kernel-

Lulzactive - Thanks to Tegrak
Based on Interactive and Smartass. When workload is greater than or equal to 60%, the governor scales up
CPU to next higher step. When workload is less than 60%, governor scales down CPU to next lower step.
When screen is off, frequency is locked to global scaling minimum frequency

Virtuous
Virtuous is a modded smartassV2 which gives even more battery time then smartassV2:)

Intellidemand - Thanks to faux123
This is an intelligent ondemand that enters browsing mode to limit max frequency when GPU is idling,
and (exits browsing mode) behaves like ondemand when GPU is busy; to deliver performance for gaming and such.
Intellidemand does not jump to highest frequency when screen is off.

Lazy - Thanks to Ezekeel
The Idea here is to eliminate any instabilities caused by fast frequency switching by ondemand.
Lazy governor polls more often than ondemand, but changes frequency only after completing min_time_state
on a step overriding sampling interval.
Lazy also has a screenoff_maxfreq parameter which when enabled will cause the governor to always
select the maximum frequency while the screen is off.

-Ondemandx:
Basically an ondemand with suspend/wake profiles. This governor is supposed to be a battery friendly ondemand. When screen is off, max frequency is capped at 500 mhz. Even though ondemand is the default governor in many kernel and is considered safe/stable, the support for ondemand/ondemandX depends on CPU capability to do fast frequency switching which are very low latency frequency transitions. I have read somewhere that the performance of ondemand/ondemandx were significantly varying for different i/o schedulers. This is not true for most of the other governors. I personally feel ondemand/ondemandx goes best with SIO I/O scheduler.

-Lionheart:
Is a conservative-based governor. The tunables (such as the thresholds and sampling rate) were changed so the governor behaves more like the performance one, at the cost of battery as the scaling is very aggressive.

To 'experience' Lionheart using conservative, try these tweaks:
sampling_rate:10000 or 20000 or 50000, whichever you feel is safer. (transition latency of the CPU is something below 10ms/10,000uS hence using 10,000 might not be safe).
up_threshold:60
down_threshold:30
freq_step:5
Lionheart goes well with deadline i/o scheduler. When it comes to smoothness (not considering battery drain), a tuned conservative delivers more as compared to a tuned ondemand.

Superbad - a "superbad" super smooth rendition of a highly optimized "smartass" governor!

Darkside - a "slightly more agressive smart" optimized governor

BadAss Governor:
Badass removes all of this "fast peaking" to the max frequency. Badass will also take the gpu load into consideration. If the gpu is moderately busy it will bypass the above check and clock the cpu with 1024Mhz. If the gpu is crushed under load, badass will lift the restrictions to the cpu.

CWM- Touch recovery (back key) thanks to DooMLoRD- Modded with AROMA File Manager thanks to amarullz (vol down key)

Instructions for the DooM Recovery And Aroma File Manager--
--When phone vibrates tap the back key to enter DooM Recovery
--When phone vibrates tap the volume down key to enter Aroma File Manager

I would like to say a big thanks to -
paxChristos - Tutorial / Help
KeiranFTW - for his PNG to RLE conversion script
DooMLoRD - Sources/Recovery
Solomon4400 - For helping me test:)
CosmicDan - For the amazing CWM / Aroma File Manager - AND LuPuS MIUI[CM9 BASED]
tempest918 - For the Logo
amarullz - For Aroma File Manager
xeozus
NobodyAtAll
Faux123
Erasmus
Leedroid
Jerpelea
Anyone missing please PM me

v11 downloads/changes in post 2

Please Click Thanks :good:

Kernel sources -b ics
https://github.com/garwedgess/LuPuS-iCs-beta

Last edited:

wedgess

Apr 23, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
www.pac-rom.com
V12 Download HERE

Code:
[LIST][B][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]Changes since v3[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/B]
- ALS enabled 
- Fixed governors so that they are more stable then the last 2 build

[B][U][COLOR="Green"]FudgeSwap[/COLOR][/U][/B]
-Helps improve multi-tasking in low memory situations forcing apps to swap.(already in DooM's sources)

[U][B][COLOR="Green"]SLQB - (SLAB allocator with Queue)[/COLOR][/B][/U]-
This memory allocator is designed for small number of CPUs system (such as desktop or smart phone devices). This allocator is design to be simple and it is optimized for using order-0 pages as much as possible (order-0 pages are the simplest therefore quickest type of memory in a Linux system to allocate).

-New kernel feels alot smother/faster :D
- Increased zram disk size
- Increased zram to 30%
- Changed LZO --- Benchmarks show compression and decompression times performance increased by double :)
- [COLOR="Blue"]FIXED MOUNTING SD CARD[/COLOR]
- Changed Recovery Images
- Added 2 New Governors
- [COLOR="Green"][B] Superbad[/B][/COLOR] - a "superbad" super smooth rendition of a highly optimized "smartass" governor!
- [COLOR="Green"][B]Darkside[/B][/COLOR] - a "slightly more agressive smart" optimized governor!
~ Changed CPU freq table, can now OC to 1.8 with no reboots
~ Made tweaks for smoother UI experience
~ Added init.d tweaks ;)
~ Tweaks for better battery life (still testing this)
~ Added in .400ghz on freq table (handy while listening to music)
~ Added governor -[COLOR="Green"][B] Intellidemand2[/B][/COLOR]
~ Lowered cpu freq on boot time, to avoid any issues on booting.
~ KSM added
- ext 2/3 & 4

[B]v11[/B]

- Added back custom voltage control
- New 480p version to free up RAM
- WIFi modules included-thanks to CosmicDan

[B]v12[/B]
- Competely reworked (started from scratch)
- Added TINY RCU
- Patched LZO
- Reverted to 1.6 OC (Removed 2ghz no need for it)
- Improved CIFS support
- Optimized for Linaro
- Improved Battery life
- Lower VFS_cache_pressure
- Better Memcopy
- Added Compaction
- Low Memory Killer Optimizations - Thanks @CosmicDan
- Updated SIO Io-Scheduler
- Uses Google Snappy Compress/ Decompress

[/LIST]

If you like my work please consider buying me a beer or something else ;)
by clicking the DONATE ME button, of course it isn't needed but greatly appreciated and keeps me motivated.

New zRam enabler in atachments needed for v12 +
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

LuPuSv12-iCs-Linaro Downloads
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

720p version

LuPuSv12-iCs-720.img
MD5 = 45bc1d4dfe4cd061993a96ca8c541e27

480p version

LuPuSv12-iCs-480p.img
MD5 = 137456267015b81d88596338769158fa

Check your MD5 and make sure it matches with the above before posting that it doesn't work for you

All previous kernels
-

LuPuS-play-kernel folder

Zram is not enabled by default- to enable it flash the zip below
If for whatever reason you want to disable it after you have flashed the .zip, just go to ect/init.d and delete 00zram :victory:

Also added CIFS support....Modules attached below (480p version only, untill I know it works)

What is CIFS???

• Server Message Block (SMB) or Common Internet File System (CIFS) are normally used to provide shared access to files on a network, mostly involving computers running MS Windows.

It allows you to conveniently mount/unmount your network accessible file resources and access the files transparently via your favourite Android app (playing music / videos, accessing documents etc.) Settings are stored on your SD card with permissions to write also to your SD card.

Instructions
  • - extract cifsfile.zip
    - save cifs,ko file to your sdcard
    - in terminal emulator
    - cd sdcard
    - su
    - insmod cifs.ko

Now download CifsManager or similar app and configure it :)

Please Click Thanks If You Like :good:

Attachments

• modules_signed.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,211
  • wedgess_NEW_Zram-Enabler.zip
    157.8 KB · Views: 1,674
Last edited:

itazchu

May 7, 2012
Jakarta
wooow.... trying now. curious about cwm 6. btw could you add L-trigger to enter cwm recovery just like doomkernel?

wedgess

Apr 23, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
www.pac-rom.com
ok tested on MarkphytonsICS and it work well.

It start faster than doomlords kernel and the boot logo looks nicer^^

Edit: Wifi did't work

Sorry will post new zip now in 10mins sorry about that did it say bad zip or did it flash OK but wifi still won't turn on??

Sent from my Xperia Play

CloudShepherd

Jan 14, 2012
You mean 2ghz right? Not mhz cause that would be a major downgrade lol

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

wedgess

Apr 23, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
www.pac-rom.com
will this help fix root issues on ics roms sir?

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

I'm not too sure please test and let me know ram disk has been changed along with root permissions so hopefully.

Edit-Sorry its not CWM6 its dooms touch recovery, CWM6 was having trouble with back ups on ics beta based roms for some reason. I'll change that now thanks for pointing it out.+ sorry but personally I prefer back-key its a lot easier more me :)

Sent from my Xperia Play

wedgess

Apr 23, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
www.pac-rom.com
flash is ok but can't aktivate (stuck in activation)

Worked for me and i flashed it a couple of times not 1 problem....did u wipe cache and dalvik cache??

Can anyone else confirm the wifi zip doesnt work before i upload a new one

Edit-Just incase here's another wifi-fix.zip for anyone having trouble:confused:

Attachments

• WiFi_FiX_LuPuS-iCs-BeTa.zip
    267.5 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:

wedgess

Apr 23, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
www.pac-rom.com
i try to install it with an custom rom based on MarkphytonsICS.

It should work on all ics beta based roms, I wasn't able to test it on all them as It is late and up early so kind of rushed with the release but i've been using it the last hour + with no problems, if you wanna see what other governors ill try add check out my CM9 based rom's kernel here any problems I'll try fix tomorrow, just post here and i'll try help.But wiping cache and dalvik cache should sort out your bootloops

Reactions: NeWCuLTKiNG

itazchu

May 7, 2012
Jakarta
i try to install it with an custom rom based on MarkphytonsICS.

It should work on all ics beta based roms, I wasn't able to test it on all them as It is late and up early so kind of rushed with the release but i've been using it the last hour + with no problems, if you wanna see what other governors ill try add check out my CM9 based rom's kernel here any problems I'll try fix tomorrow, just post here and i'll try help.But wiping cache and dalvik cache should sort out your bootloops

I also tried this on markphyton ics. no problem here with the 1st wifi fix although without wiping cache and/or dalvik-cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LuPuS-iCs-BeTa
    abzNncsi.png

Can be used with all ICS-BETA ROMS
    LuPuSv7 kernel [CM9 BASED] HERE

Just thought I would create a single post for this kernel, even though it was built for LuPuS MIUI,
    It can be used for other ROMS as stated above. I haven't had much time to add much but I will
    try update it in the next few days :fingers-crossed: Anyway onto the downloads and whats added
    so far. I will add the sources for the kernel tomorrow when I get time plus try add more things over the next few days.

Disclaimer

Code:
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]#include[/COLOR] [COLOR="Magenta"]<std_disclaimer.h>[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]/*
    * Your warranty is now void.. LOL I guess you knew it already.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, you getting dumped or you getting fired because your phone 
    * bootloops and alarm does not go off. Please do some research if you have any  
    * concerns about features included in my kernel before using it! YOU and only 
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
    */

[COLOR="Magenta"]#if[/COLOR]
    You have a [COLOR="DarkGreen"]question[/COLOR] post it in the [COLOR="DarkRed"]thread[/COLOR],
    Instead of [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Pm'ing me[/COLOR], as other users may
    experience you [COLOR="DarkRed"]problems[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Magenta"]#endif[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Added into Kernel-

Lulzactive - Thanks to Tegrak
    Based on Interactive and Smartass. When workload is greater than or equal to 60%, the governor scales up
    CPU to next higher step. When workload is less than 60%, governor scales down CPU to next lower step.
    When screen is off, frequency is locked to global scaling minimum frequency

Virtuous
    Virtuous is a modded smartassV2 which gives even more battery time then smartassV2:)

Intellidemand - Thanks to faux123
    This is an intelligent ondemand that enters browsing mode to limit max frequency when GPU is idling,
    and (exits browsing mode) behaves like ondemand when GPU is busy; to deliver performance for gaming and such.
    Intellidemand does not jump to highest frequency when screen is off.

Lazy - Thanks to Ezekeel
    The Idea here is to eliminate any instabilities caused by fast frequency switching by ondemand.
    Lazy governor polls more often than ondemand, but changes frequency only after completing min_time_state
    on a step overriding sampling interval.
    Lazy also has a screenoff_maxfreq parameter which when enabled will cause the governor to always
    select the maximum frequency while the screen is off.

-Ondemandx:
    Basically an ondemand with suspend/wake profiles. This governor is supposed to be a battery friendly ondemand. When screen is off, max frequency is capped at 500 mhz. Even though ondemand is the default governor in many kernel and is considered safe/stable, the support for ondemand/ondemandX depends on CPU capability to do fast frequency switching which are very low latency frequency transitions. I have read somewhere that the performance of ondemand/ondemandx were significantly varying for different i/o schedulers. This is not true for most of the other governors. I personally feel ondemand/ondemandx goes best with SIO I/O scheduler.

-Lionheart:
    Is a conservative-based governor. The tunables (such as the thresholds and sampling rate) were changed so the governor behaves more like the performance one, at the cost of battery as the scaling is very aggressive.

To 'experience' Lionheart using conservative, try these tweaks:
    sampling_rate:10000 or 20000 or 50000, whichever you feel is safer. (transition latency of the CPU is something below 10ms/10,000uS hence using 10,000 might not be safe).
    up_threshold:60
    down_threshold:30
    freq_step:5
    Lionheart goes well with deadline i/o scheduler. When it comes to smoothness (not considering battery drain), a tuned conservative delivers more as compared to a tuned ondemand.

Superbad - a "superbad" super smooth rendition of a highly optimized "smartass" governor!

Darkside - a "slightly more agressive smart" optimized governor

BadAss Governor:
    Badass removes all of this "fast peaking" to the max frequency. Badass will also take the gpu load into consideration. If the gpu is moderately busy it will bypass the above check and clock the cpu with 1024Mhz. If the gpu is crushed under load, badass will lift the restrictions to the cpu.

CWM- Touch recovery (back key) thanks to DooMLoRD- Modded with AROMA File Manager thanks to amarullz (vol down key)

Instructions for the DooM Recovery And Aroma File Manager--
    --When phone vibrates tap the back key to enter DooM Recovery
    --When phone vibrates tap the volume down key to enter Aroma File Manager

I would like to say a big thanks to -
    paxChristos - Tutorial / Help
    KeiranFTW - for his PNG to RLE conversion script
    DooMLoRD - Sources/Recovery
    Solomon4400 - For helping me test:)
    CosmicDan - For the amazing CWM / Aroma File Manager - AND LuPuS MIUI[CM9 BASED]
    tempest918 - For the Logo
    amarullz - For Aroma File Manager
    xeozus
    NobodyAtAll
    Faux123
    Erasmus
    Leedroid
    Jerpelea
    Anyone missing please PM me

v11 downloads/changes in post 2

Please Click Thanks :good:

Kernel sources -b ics
    https://github.com/garwedgess/LuPuS-iCs-beta
    V12 Download HERE

Code:
    [LIST][B][U][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]Changes since v3[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/B]
    - ALS enabled 
    - Fixed governors so that they are more stable then the last 2 build

[B][U][COLOR="Green"]FudgeSwap[/COLOR][/U][/B]
    -Helps improve multi-tasking in low memory situations forcing apps to swap.(already in DooM's sources)

[U][B][COLOR="Green"]SLQB - (SLAB allocator with Queue)[/COLOR][/B][/U]-
    This memory allocator is designed for small number of CPUs system (such as desktop or smart phone devices). This allocator is design to be simple and it is optimized for using order-0 pages as much as possible (order-0 pages are the simplest therefore quickest type of memory in a Linux system to allocate).

-New kernel feels alot smother/faster :D
    - Increased zram disk size
    - Increased zram to 30%
    - Changed LZO --- Benchmarks show compression and decompression times performance increased by double :)
    - [COLOR="Blue"]FIXED MOUNTING SD CARD[/COLOR]
    - Changed Recovery Images
    - Added 2 New Governors
    - [COLOR="Green"][B] Superbad[/B][/COLOR] - a "superbad" super smooth rendition of a highly optimized "smartass" governor!
    - [COLOR="Green"][B]Darkside[/B][/COLOR] - a "slightly more agressive smart" optimized governor!
    ~ Changed CPU freq table, can now OC to 1.8 with no reboots
    ~ Made tweaks for smoother UI experience
    ~ Added init.d tweaks ;)
    ~ Tweaks for better battery life (still testing this)
    ~ Added in .400ghz on freq table (handy while listening to music)
    ~ Added governor -[COLOR="Green"][B] Intellidemand2[/B][/COLOR]
    ~ Lowered cpu freq on boot time, to avoid any issues on booting.
    ~ KSM added
    - ext 2/3 & 4

[B]v11[/B]

- Added back custom voltage control
    - New 480p version to free up RAM
    - WIFi modules included-thanks to CosmicDan

[B]v12[/B]
    - Added TINY RCU
    - Patched LZO
    - Improved CIFS support
    - Optimized for Linaro
    - Improved Battery life
    - Better Memcopy
    - Added Compaction

[/LIST]

If you like my work please consider buying me a beer or something else ;)
    by clicking the DONATE ME button, of course it isn't needed but greatly appreciated and keeps me motivated.

New zRam enabler in atachments needed for v12 +

LuPuSv12-iCs-Linaro Downloads

720p version

LuPuSv12-iCs-720.img
    MD5 = 45bc1d4dfe4cd061993a96ca8c541e27

480p version

LuPuSv12-iCs-480p.img
    MD5 = 137456267015b81d88596338769158fa

Check your MD5 and make sure it matches with the above before posting that it doesn't work for you

All previous kernels
    -

LuPuS-play-kernel folder

Zram is not enabled by default- to enable it flash the zip below
    If for whatever reason you want to disable it after you have flashed the .zip, just go to ect/init.d and delete 00zram :victory:

Also added CIFS support....Modules attached below (480p version only, untill I know it works)

What is CIFS???

• Server Message Block (SMB) or Common Internet File System (CIFS) are normally used to provide shared access to files on a network, mostly involving computers running MS Windows.

It allows you to conveniently mount/unmount your network accessible file resources and access the files transparently via your favourite Android app (playing music / videos, accessing documents etc.) Settings are stored on your SD card with permissions to write also to your SD card.

Instructions
    • - extract cifsfile.zip
      - save cifs,ko file to your sdcard
      - in terminal emulator
      - cd sdcard
      - su
      - insmod cifs.ko

Now download CifsManager or similar app and configure it :)

Please Click Thanks If You Like :good:
    LuPuS-iCs-v12 Released

Changelog

Code:
    [B]v12[/B]
    - Patched LZO
    - Added TINY RCU
    - Improved CIFS support
    - Optimized for Linaro
    - Improved Battery life
    - Better Memcopy
    - Added Compaction

Please Click Thanks
    based on Doomlord ICS v3 kernel?

or did you know the compability between this rom and MarkphytonsICS?

Yes it will work on all other ICS BETA BASED ROMS:good:
    Released Update to v6
    Fixed Mounting Sd-card Issue
    Added 2 new Governors
    Changed recovery images :)
    See Post 2 for Downloads
    Also added a .ZIP to enable Zram it's in the 2nd post :)

And Click Thanks :good: