[KERNEL] Radioactive Kernel [17/06/30] [LOS based roms]

Search This thread

OrdenKrieger

Dec 25, 2012
How can i change in f2fs? And what is pro and con?

First of all you should be warned, if you switch over to f2fs for the data you should now that all your files in the internal storage will be wiped, so first do a backup of all your stuff to a pc. To switch over to f2fs you need to select in the wipe section the option, change filesystem and then you choose f2fs and the partition will be formated. You need to do this twice, once for data and once for cache. And for the advantages etc. you can read this thread. https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2697069

Regards
OrdenKrieger

Bucatino

Oct 11, 2016
First of all you should be warned, if you switch over to f2fs for the data you should now that all your files in the internal storage will be wiped, so first do a backup of all your stuff to a pc. To switch over to f2fs you need to select in the wipe section the option, change filesystem and then you choose f2fs and the partition will be formated. You need to do this twice, once for data and once for cache. And for the advantages etc. you can read this thread. https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2697069

Regards
OrdenKrieger
Thanks :) i do It, now i think my axon 7 is fast when open apps.

Now what settings are you using in kernel settings? I use kernel audiutor app.

Inviato dal mio ZTE A2017U utilizzando Tapatalk

mothmanex

Oct 22, 2011
Monterrey, N.L.
The previous version of the kernel had the option to change screen settings (On Kernel Adiutor). Is there a way to enable it? Or was it removed permanently?

piet8stevens

Jun 15, 2009
Lanaken
Finally made the switch to Radioactive Kernel. Flash worked without any issue. Phone feels faster and smoother - let's see how it further develops as I only just switched. Next step will be to switch to f2fs for system. A big thank you to @OrdenKrieger. I am on RR (0811 version, unofficial) and have a 2017G device.

EDIT after 1 night of having the Radioactive Kernel
I run PiHole at home to avoid all ads on all my devices. I was running at 35-40% of DNS Queries being related to ads and being prevented by PiHole, even during the night when no one was browsing the internet. The bulk of that came from my phone (when I was not home, the % of DNS Queries rejected by PiHole dropped to 0). Since installing Radioactive Kernel, it seems as if my phone were not at home, ie no more DNS Queries dropped. Fascinating. Could the previous kernel have been sending out DNS Queries all the time? Or maybe the sleep is deeper with Radioactive Kernel?

Last edited:
Reactions: kitcostantino

thom168as

Jun 6, 2014
Is it ok to flash this over other custom kernel? I flashed Radioactive kernel over llama sweet kernel, and now the battery drain is noticeably worse.
I also formatted data and cache partitions to f2fs.
Edit : I am using RR.

pierre6768

Dec 3, 2015
Is it ok to flash this over other custom kernel? I flashed Radioactive kernel over llama sweet kernel, and now the battery drain is noticeably worse.

Clearely not the best idea you had ...
If your only problem after this is just a battery drain you're quite lucky.
Hope you did a backup before this flash, otherwise flash the ROM over again. Last solution, factory reset and fresh install.

thom168as

Jun 6, 2014
Clearely not the best idea you had ...
If your only problem after this is just a battery drain you're quite lucky.
Hope you did a backup before this flash, otherwise flash the ROM over again. Last solution, factory reset and fresh install.

I've made a huge mistake. Didn't backup the rom. I'll just clean install the whole thing again.

marcdw

Sep 24, 2014
Baldwin Park

General rule is never flash one custom kernel over another. Always revert to the default kernel or boot.img.
Sometimes restoring just the boot.img from a backup works but given that some kernels modify/change other things, a dirty flash of ROM is better.

ZTE Axon 7 A2017U, DARK ROM, Tapatalk 4.9.3

Reactions: thom168as

bkores

Aug 12, 2016
Staten Island, NY
So I flashed your kernel and it is really smooth and snappy. Great job! However I have no idea what to set as the CPU governor. Which one do you recommend for the best balance of performance and battery life? Or is the default one good enough?

Gases

Jul 2, 2016
Santo Domingo
So I flashed your kernel and it is really smooth and snappy. Great job! However I have no idea what to set as the CPU governor. Which one do you recommend for the best balance of performance and battery life? Or is the default one good enough?

I find that the impulse governor is better than interactive, both for performance and battery life.

Reactions: bkores

helpmeroot

Apr 18, 2011
Thanks for the awesome kernel @OrdenKrieger ! very smooth and great on the battery too! Also works well with AICP rom

I flashed it last night so I don't have any solid data on hand. But I "tested" elementalx, impulse and interactive (battery profile set to balanced for all) by scrolling up and down in a kernel monitoring app. ElementalX tends to lock the CPU MHz to a higher frequency than the other two. I take that as using more battery with screen on than the other two governors. Impulse and Interactive are pretty similar in this scrolling "test". I read that impulse is just interactive with more battery optimization so I chose that to test the standby drain last night. Standby drain overnight with Radioactive + Impulse is the same as interactive with stock LOS kernel on efficiency. I will stick with Impulse for a while and see

Last edited:
Reactions: bkores

tokinger

Feb 12, 2017
I've been using this kernel for a month with Lineageos.

It provides Great performance and battery life due to it's better governors and F2Fs.

However when I try to mount a loopback device formatted in FAT, my cell phone restarts.

It used to work perfectly with the LOS provided kernel.

Is this normal? Does it happen to anybody else?

Thanks, kind regards

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http%3A%2F%2Fi42.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fe349%2Facuicultor%2FIMG_20151025_213752.jpg_zpslcpyvwgf.png

Code:
    Code:
    /* *** Disclaimer
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, 
    * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research 
    * if you have any concerns about features included in this KERNEL
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

# Current Features

General List:

Built with -O3 speed optimizations
    Power-efficient workqueues enabled
    Random driver backported from mainline Linux(12 times faster)
    Westwood as default TCP network congestion control
    Entropy hook on storage removed
    Default file-system mount option with noatime
    CFQ I/O scheduler as default(it's the fastest I/O scheduler available on 3.18 kernel)
    NVIDIA's power-efficiency improvement commits applied
    Supports f2fs-formatted cache & data partition
    Elementalx governor, Impulse governor, ZZMoove (bLE) governor
    Kcal Control: Colors, Saturation, Hue, Contrast and more
    Rebased on newest CAF source LA.UM.5.5.r1-04900-8x96.0
    Removed alot of ZTE debug stuff
    Kernel drivers from latest B25 release
    And many more..

# Radioactive kernel install

Instructions:

* Boot into Recovery
    * (Recommended) Make a complete backup of entire rom
    * Flash Zip
    * Reboot
    * Enjoy!!!

Roms like LineageOS, RR, CRdroid and ofc NucleaRom are supported by this kernel.

Download

DONATE TO ME

Donations are always appreciated and if you want i add you to my donation list on this thread.
    I hope you have much fun with this kernel.

* arter97
    * LordBoeffla
    * ZaneZam
    * Ak
    * Yank555
    * Hardcore
    * Chainfire
    * AndreiLux
    * Netarchy
    * Gokhanmoral
    * JoaoPaulo
    * MrColdbird
    * Entropy512
    * Faux
    * Harunjo
    * nikhill
    * FranciscoFranco
    * Ak
    * moludo
    * Lozo2010
    ... I just hope I did not forget someone. If so, please let me know and I will add you of course.
    Thanks to all of you for your great work

XDA:DevDB Information
    Radioactive Kernel, ROM for the ZTE Axon 7

Contributors
    OrdenKrieger
    Source Code: https://github.com/OrdenKrieger/android_kernel_zte_msm8996

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x

Version Information

Created 2017-04-14
    Last Updated 2017-06-29

I was apart of a Dev team for a little while, I've seen the inner workings on how long it CAN take, otherwise I guess you could arbitrate it as speculation as I'm not apart of the Nuclear team.

This doesn't need any work for 7.1.2 unless they are optimizing things.

Who are you talking to? Just curious because it's a pretty quiet thread.

Yes I did some testing on some features and I also was busy with school stuff since my vacation is over now. Next release will include the newest F2FS commits from the F2FS-Stable branche from google without the OEM changes from ZTE. And maybe I will also include another big feature but i won't tell you which. :p Stay tunned. :)

Regards
    OrdenKrieger
    For the people which want to know. Antutu: ~156.000 Enjoy the super smooth kernel. :)
    NucleaBanner_XDA%20-%20Changelog.png

• Fixed double vibration of haptic driver
    • Fix nfc which broke due newest caf merge into rootdir​

(Radioactive-v2.4-20170629-2353.zip)
    Mine says exactly the same, I'm on LOS

Got the same on TWRP 3.04.

Twrp 3.1.0 failed
    2cedfd7fde797730187d32f58a49f697.jpg

Enviado desde mi ZTE+A2017U mediante Tapatalk

Im using the official version of 3.1.0 TWRP from: https://dl.twrp.me/ailsa_ii/

Regards
    OrdenKrieger