[KERNEL/RECOVERY] Vibrant EXT2/3/4 OCv4/Stock with init.d support NO WAKE LAG 8/28/10

Search This thread

justanothercrowd

Jan 29, 2009
WARNING KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS, IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT IS BEING TALKED ABOUT HERE YOUR BEST TO LEAVE IT ALONE

This is a Vibrant kernel/recovery image that includes EXT2/3/4 support as well as init.d support for user scripts. Everything works as expected Wifi/GPS/BT etc

This eliminates the race condition as the scripts in init.d run before the default Android services.

You can add any user scripts you want by adding them to the /system/etc/init.d folder e.g "05userscript" They are parsed by order 00 then 01 then 02 etc

BEFORE FLASHING THE KERNEL You must flash the init.d update to add the needed folder and files to boot with this kernel. That is because the completion script sets a prop value telling the default Android services to run. If that prop isn't set you will be sitting at the Vibrant screen forever.

The new init.d updates remove any other versions of busybox and install the correct version and symlinks to take care or the issues people have been having with multiple BB installs. There is a version that has no data to SD script for those that want to run other lag fix's. And then there is one with the data to SD script.

Default CPU frequencies and Overclocked versions available.

OCv4
Clock Drift fixed
Fix scaling bug, performance level was set past end of table on sleep
Scaling enhancement, selectable clock source for GPU
GPU clocked at 222MHz for all speeds except 100MHz, where it matches CPU clock
more up/down threshold changes
Wake Lag improvements
Switched back to "CFQ" for perf reasons over deadline and no-op
BB symlinks removed from ramdisk (to avoid conflict with mods that make their own links to BB)

OCv3
NO MORE WAKE LAG!!!!
Reverted back to OC on boot
up/down threshold adjustments again
rebuilt with crosstool-ng 1.8.0 gcc 4.3.4

OCv2
Extra steps are back. [100/200/400/600/800/1000/1200] YOU MUST use setCPU to up it to 1.2Ghz it is set at 1Ghz default for stability reasons,this CPU is very sensitive to voltage/freq changes. Should be more stable overall then prev build. (Thanks Unhelpful)
up/down threshold adjustments

SCv9
No More WAKE LAG!!
Uncommented FM Radio module in init.rc

SCv8
Conservative/Deadline

SCv7
Ondemand/Deadline are default now in

SCv6
ADB issue resolved.
Busybox issues resolved. Can now update through stericson's BB utility from the market.
OC version available with extra 600mhz and 1200mhz step added (you still have 800, 1000 etc) Linpacks in the 10.0's (Thanks to ivanmmj for the help)

SCv5
Volume rocker fixed
cleaned up RAMDISK
reverted to stock recovery (rev1 had clockwork as the recovery but was having a few issues)
added symlinks for busybox applets
Fully compatible with Clockwork (backups/restore from ROM manager) (no more annoying reboot before Clockwork starts)

INSTRUCTIONS

Note:The new init.d updates install BusyBox for you and create the symlinks. They also remove any other prior version before doing so

1.Choose one of the init.d updates that suites you.

A.
Data and Dalvik init.d-busybox with data to SD update.zip
MD5:0317ae432d2db15e51fd0da2c4d53857

B.
Data and Dalvik init.d-busybox without any lagfix scripts update.zip
MD5:9e720b587188676e7fff2f144433bd23

2.Reboot into recovery and flash this. Once booted check your system/etc dir for the init.d folder and scripts inside before moving forward. If they are there we move on.

3.Download the kernel/recovery image

OCv4 1.2 No Wake Lag/No Time drift

Update.zip (flash through clockwork recovery)
www.justanotherdev.slackdev.com/Kernel-Vibrant-OCv4.zip
MD5:33487d4bec50d123d0bb10843d141723

ODIN Image
www.justanotherdev.slackdev.com/kernel-vibrant-OCv4.tar
MD5:5aae7e5ab08227e1fd4c931c24f678ac

OCv3 1.2 No Wake Lag
kernel-vibrant-OCv3-NG.tar
MD5:1e2ddb9bd9fe4adb0ccc73fa818c63be

OCv2 1.2Ghz with extra steps back in. More aggressive up/down thresholds
kernel-vibrant-oc-ng.tar

BETA OC 1.2Ghz (no added steps for now)
kernel-vibext4-oc1.tar.md5
MD5:d1e26f769406c5d368492855c7b5059e

SCv9 No Wake Lag
kernel-vibrant-SCv9-NG.tar
MD5:0614a8205087a84fe34bbe2c653183a9

SCv8
kernel-vibext4-8.tar.md5
MD5:e9c2a45d89d994c485b8af8e1b1a923c

SCv7
kernel-vibext4-7.tar.md5
MD5:cedbad0273a2dd2a1b2d0a4ed3e89fce

4.Reboot into download mode and use ODIN to flash the kernel. Use the CSC field with no PIT file. This will flash the kernel/recovery

NOTE:You can find ODIN in my other thread here

If you have an EXT2/3/4 partition I used tabbals script (to tired and will be re-writing this shortly) for the mean time to bind your data to the EXT partition or otherwise known as the "EXT hack" for those that want those wondering. If you do not want this script you can remove the 07a2sd script from the init.d folder before flashing the kernel.

Now you can add any user scripts you like to the init.d folder and we dont need to use the "playlogos" hack anymore. This is a work in progress and more tweaks/features will be integrated and updated as they are tested and made available in this thread. I had to give you guys something to mess around with. And a proper way to run user scripts. :)

Thanks to Unhelpful, supercurio, cyanogen, scepterr, wes garner, Eugene_373 and everyone that helps out in the XDA community!

Sources:
Kernel: T959 source from opensource.samsung.com
Voodoo-fix http://github.com/project-voodoo
OC patch posted below

Enjoy!

Attachments

• OC_Patch.txt
    9.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

justanothercrowd

Jan 29, 2009
Beautiful! now if only we can find a way to flash the kernel from recovery without needing odin.....

Agreed. Feel free to use this kernel/recovery in your ROMS just give credit and I'll be more than happy :)

Also more to come folks just sit tight. This is my hobby and I have to take care of some real life issue ATM...cough ...the woman...cough.

frank707

May 7, 2009
amazing job! thanks for helping calm down the xda addicts. how well does the userinit and apps2sd play with kernel, can we use those files or will they have to modified to work with your kernel?

justanothercrowd

Jan 29, 2009
amazing job! thanks for helping calm down the xda addicts. how well does the userinit and apps2sd play with kernel, can we use those files or will they have to modified to work with your kernel?

Any scripts will work fine just as before. The main difference is that we dont need the "playlogo" hack that was used previously which runs a script called userinit from /system/bin/ now all user scripts will go in /system/etc/init.d/

Now we have this folder (init.d) to store all are user scripts in and gives us the option to choose which runs first according to how they are labeled. Just have a peek inside the init.d folder to see what I'm talking about. Init.d is pretty common on Linux boxes just not Android :)

Also to be clear this should clear up race conditions as any user scripts in init.d will run before the default Android services.

FYI tabbals scripts is renamed "/system/etc/init.d/07a2sd" (which I should have names d2sd but whatever lol) in this build. Same script so yes the scripts will work just fine :)

Last edited:

anomalous3

Jan 22, 2010
Phoenix

one of the main purposes of the kernel is to give us a linux-standard place for people to add startup scripts, and to make data2sd possible without trouble, including ext4 which combines most of the speed of ext2 with the stability of ext3.

justanothercrowd

Jan 29, 2009
one of the main purposes of the kernel is to give us a linux-standard place for people to add startup scripts, and to make data2sd possible without trouble, including ext4 which combines most of the speed of ext2 with the stability of ext3.

Exactly.

Have fun I'm off to bed for now. I've been running this for 2 days without issues. Please let me know if you find any bugs. WiFi BT and everything else should be working just like the stock kernel :) I also haven't had one kernel panic yet.

Last edited:

davbran

Jan 9, 2010
The follow error occurs on flash

Code:
E:Can't chown/mod system/etc/init.d/02a2sd
(No such file or directory)
E:Failture at line 7:
set_perm 0 1000 0755 SYSTEM:etc/init.d/02a2sd
Installation aborted.

Our Apps
Get our official app!