[KERNEL][REF][Q&A] Siyah 5.0+[ICS/CM10] 6.0b5+[JB/CM10.1] +DISCUSSION+. NON-DEV!!!

Search This thread

FANATLA

Apr 1, 2012
Upper Austria
I find that the leak runs with Siyah not as smooth as with stock or Philz kernel, could be due to the lower GPU frequencies. STweaks says "Defaults frequencies are 100, 133, 160, 200 and 267". I can choose only between 54, 66, 108, 160, 200 and higher. 100 and 133 are not available either with or without VPLL. Any ideas?

AllSeeyinEye

Dec 16, 2011
I've mentioned it before, but there's almost no one responding to it.

I've got a nasty wakelock that's only present in this kernel. My phone does not get into deep sleep on Siyah beta2. AudioInLock is the cause. I have absolutely no clue whatsoever where to search for a fix, if it should be caused by a non-kernel related thing.

Could you all please have a look at your deep sleep / wakelock ratio (not via system/battery, but with bbs or cpuspy+) and check if it's a problem that is kernel+specific rom / app related, or a kernel problem everyone suffers from?!

Last edited:

t-pip

Oct 26, 2010

I've got a nasty wakelock that's only present in this kernel. My phone does not get into deep sleep on Siyah beta2. AudioInLock is the cause. I have absolutely no clue whatsoever where to search for a fix, if it should be caused by a non-kernel related thing.

Could you all please have a look at your deep sleep / wakelock ratio (not via system/battery, but with bbs or cpuspy+) and check if it's a problem that is kernel+specific rom / app related, or a kernel problem everyone suffers from?!

Seems ok to me on alliance

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

THE RED BLUR

Mar 7, 2012
LONDON
Hi so after having siyah on for the whole night I decided to run a battery assessment as soon as I had it fully charged below are my findings. I was connected to wifi the whole time.

See below for battery stats

ada7evyp.jpg

unezaba4.jpg

ytara6ap.jpg

bemebaga.jpg

The only change I made to kernel was change governor to pegasus via stweaks and turn off led in touch screen.

It seems that wi fi still drains battery:( but at least this driver has stopped all lock screen freezes. :)

Power manager seems to be going nuts. :eek:

No other issues really apart from video to report. ;):thumbup:

So GM has achieved a decent results in under 24 hours a fraction of the time other devs have taken a week or more to do. He basically is Jack Bauer

9u5ejysa.jpg

:D :thumbup::beer:

SIGNATURE

PHONE : SGSII
Sent via: Tapatalk 2
Main ROM: Alliance rom v5.1

KERNEL : Siyah v6.0b2.
(DEFAULT PROFILE AND SETTINGS)
MODEM :
BATTERY : Stock 1650mAh
EXTERNAL Sdcard : Samsung Class 10 32gb

Last edited:

Many40

Nov 25, 2009
does everything else work?
cam? video recording? wifi? bln?

This is what I've noticed in addition what the others already reported (don't know if it is done intentionally; in changelog it's stated "default governor: ondemand" but not "fixed to default"): when I change governor/scheduler from stweaks - it changes properly but after reboot everything comes back to defaults. I don't have any additional init.d scripts nor cpu tunning apps. Concerning scalling frequencies: changes are kept after reboot.

Rom: NeatomLite 4.0 JB 4.1.2
Kernel: Siyah 6.0 b2

Edit: @The Red Blur, could you confirm that pls?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Last edited:

Ba7rani123

Apr 14, 2012
Wake up man:D and read a few pages back before posting:)

I have been reading the thread since the beta release and I saw the post abt "audio in" wakelock... they didnt meantion that the audio recording wasnt working... they just said that it prevents the phone from sleep

THE RED BLUR

Mar 7, 2012
LONDON
@ Many40. I rebooted to see if pegasus remained gov. And it has. :)

esynepyt.jpg

SIGNATURE

KERNEL : Siyah v6.0b3 test version
MODEM :

pilgrim011

May 3, 2008
Belgrade
www.tvojsajt.com
I find that the leak runs with Siyah not as smooth as with stock or Philz kernel, could be due to the lower GPU frequencies. STweaks says "Defaults frequencies are 100, 133, 160, 200 and 267". I can choose only between 54, 66, 108, 160, 200 and higher. 100 and 133 are not available either with or without VPLL. Any ideas?

Regarding this,GM, could you consider to make an Stweaks profile (or something like that) with all CPU/GPU frequencies/voltages/governers tuned to default Samsung values found in lsj kernel?

Reboot your device, then should be fine.

Many40

Nov 25, 2009
@ Many40. I rebooted to see if pegasus remained gov. And it has. :)

esynepyt.jpg

SIGNATURE

KERNEL : Siyah v6.0b3 test version
MODEM :

Yes I know, I have the same but better check here: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/
There should be subfolder /pegasusq but in my case (even stweaks says "pegasusq") subfolder is /ondemand :)
You can check it also with a tunning app like SetCPU or Voltage Control.
Regards

Reactions: THE RED BLUR

gokhanmoral

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 16, 2006
Ankara
www.isyam.bilkent.edu.tr
Yes I know, I have the same but better check here: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/
There should be subfolder /pegasusq but in my case (even stweaks says "pegasusq") subfolder is /ondemand :)
You can check it also with a tunning app like SetCPU or Voltage Control.
Regards

may I ask you to test the following:

1) restart after applying pegasusq in stweaks
2) test if you have ondemand
3) if so, run this: "/res/uci.sh scaling_governor". you should be getting "pegasusq"
4) run: "/res/uci.sh scaling_governor pegasusq" and see if you still have ondemand
5) if still ondemand, stop. if not, restart again and run "/res/uci.sh apply" and see if it is still ondemand

it will help me a lot to track what is wrong without having the device.

already announced beta3, and I want to fix this problem before releasing it.

jgcaap

Sep 22, 2009
Porto
may I ask you to test the following:

1) restart after applying pegasusq in stweaks
2) test if you have ondemand
3) if so, run this: "/res/uci.sh scaling_governor". you should be getting "pegasusq"
4) run: "/res/uci.sh scaling_governor pegasusq" and see if you still have ondemand
5) if still ondemand, stop. if not, restart again and run "/res/uci.sh apply" and see if it is still ondemand

it will help me a lot to track what is wrong without having the device.

already announced beta3, and I want to fix this problem before releasing it.

Thank you for what you are doing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

MattBooth

Jan 4, 2011
Bradford
mattbooth.dev
beta2 works great on XXLSJ, all except that video recording doesn't work! Also, custom bootaniations no longer work with this kernel (copying the bootanimation.zip to system/media/ and data/local/ along with a bootanimation binary - works on PhilZ's kernel)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi guys.

I was away for some time and I didn't read most of the messages lately including the ones in my s3 and xperia threads as well as the discussion threads.
    I have just skipped to the end.
    as you have read in the announcement post of v6.0b5 I know have an s2 (thanks to mbwatson. the device is perfectly working).
    I have tested v6.0b5 on omega rom v20 and yesterday's cm10.1
    I am hoping to release it tonight or tomorrow.
    it is still beta because dualboot needs some more work.
    you can have two cm10.1 or any other cm-based rom but not samsung JB as first or 2nd.
    the changes are not difficult but the repository that I need to clone is big.

I hope I will add dualbooting in b6 and I will also add some touch2wake patches (implemented by robertobsc. we were talking about it for a long time but his last email is still being kept unread in my mailbox which was sent about a month ago :) )
    then I will spend some time on cypress driver because samsung has changed it a long time ago (and now they have changed it again) but we are still using good-old-messy-driver which has all BLN related changes.

that's all for now. I doubt I will have time to read and post more, so please give help to those who seek it :)
    I had some time today and merged JB kernel with my modifications.
    there were too many conflicts (because of my previous merges with s3 kernel) and I resolved them in 20-30 minutes.
    I have sent the blindly compiled kernel to a friend and he said that it booted but the modem did not work.
    so, everything is (almost) ready. I just need an s2 for several hours.
    then some time to make dual-boot related changed (I need at least a day)
    I have also put cm10.1 support but I think I will have to remove it because it moves your sdcard contents to a subfolder named 0. multiuser support will create different folders for different users and that will probably break dualboot support.
    so, I will have to find another place to store dual-boot related files.
    can anyone state in a few sentences the very major differences between stock cm10, siyah and dorimanx kernels?
    strong and not so strong points of each of them.

this would be useful for a large majority of 'not sophisticated' users to make a decision which kernel to choose.

cm10 is the best kernel for cm10 based ROMs. it is developed by the guys who know what they are doing.

siyah have some cherrypicks from here and there and some new features. I no longer cherrypick commits that I cannot understand (I used to be doing that a lot). STweaks lets you make some changes easily, without the need of init scripts. siyah supports both samsung and cm roms (except for 10.1) and you can use dualboot feature to have two roms at a time.

dorimanx's kernel has lots of cherrypicks and he generally tries to catch the latest upstream. I don't understand most of his cherrypicks and he doesn't neither. I guess he trusts the commits from upstream but it may cause instabilities sometimes. however, if those instabilities are fixed those commits may give you some additional performance or even stability (irony? yes). that kernel also have STweaks support and has some more configurables. Dorimanx also uses my commits to support both samsung and cm roms with a single image and also the recovery+initramfs that I modified for dualboot feature. in initramfs there are some more scripts + optimizations some of which I find dangerous and unnecessary but most of them are optional anyway.

so, if you want to play safe and make sure everything runs as expected use cm10 stock kernel.
    if you want some new features and have time to play with some settings use siyah.
    if you have more time and want to have currently the most benchmark-friendly , fast and up-to-date (considering the cherrypicks from upstream) kernel with some experimental features use dorimanx.
    it is a little unfair to expect people doing something for free and fun to do it very well documented and perfect.

I never claimed that my work was perfect. indeed, it is not. and I can live with that. also a lot of people can live with that and like it.

even samsung doesn't do it properly even though you have paid for their product. releasing defective chips, buggy kernels, no commit history, late or sometimes no release for the changes in the kernel (violating gpl), no documentation, no source to support opensource development...

yeah, I know, some users may flash the latest one on ICS (even on gingerbread, or on another S2 variant) and soft-brick their device. they will have to use odin and nobody should flash any kernels if they cannot take the risk.

so, dikidera: either you should stop flashing kernels, or I should stop making new ones.
    wanna open a voting poll for it? :p
    sorry guys but I don't have any s2 around.
    as soon as I borrow one I will compile another kernel and also fix dual booting problem with Samsung JB
    I'm also a little busy lately. I am planning to borrow a friend's phone next week for an update.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone