[KERNEL][REF][Q&A] Siyah 5.0+[ICS/CM10] 6.0b5+[JB/CM10.1] +DISCUSSION+. NON-DEV!!!

Search This thread

eskostar

Oct 22, 2007
If you are a new of android or flashing stuff...pls wait a day for the feedback of other users before flashing ...so we can avoid nonsense comment...
Thank you

This is what a recommend to everyone, I've been around for a while, messed a lot with roms and kernels, but this just keeps me safe, there's no rush to install stuff unless you know 100% what you're doing, just wait, read feedbacks, and you can usually avoid major bugs.

PS: I pee'd my pants a little when I read Gokhan was working on a new release :fingers-crossed:

Nos_20

Sep 21, 2011
OnePlus City
I flashed while I was at work. Unfortunately the kernel never booted. I was stuck at Samsung logo.

So i was without my phone until I got in. Any how when I got in I booted into download and tried to flash Philz tar kernel. Only Odin never recognised my phone..

So i had to install Kies to get the drivers so Odin would work.

All ok now phone has booted up. Just a quick question does triangle away work on the phone LSJ rom? Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100

bombaybadboy

Apr 22, 2012
Wherever
I flashed while I was at work. Unfortunately the kernel never booted. I was stuck at Samsung logo.

So i was without my phone until I got in. Any how when I got in I booted into download and tried to flash Philz tar kernel. Only Odin never recognised my phone..

So i had to install Kies to get the drivers so Odin would work.

All ok now phone has booted up. Just a quick question does triangle away work on the phone LSJ rom? Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100

Triangle away app worked fine for me

Sent from my GT-I9100

t-pip

Oct 26, 2010
Anyone tried beta 2 yet? Do we have boot?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

THE RED BLUR

Mar 7, 2012
LONDON
Ok having used beta kernel for just over 30 mins it's seems to be good and stable. :):thumbup:

But unfortunately the memory exploit is still there using chainfires boot test.

a2e8uta2.jpg

But we got to remember GM had to rush this release out for us so we need to be more patient and will be fixed in time:)

On the bright side no lock screen freeze so the older wifi driver was a good move.

Will carry out more tests and update then.

Thanks GM. What a guy;):thumbup:

Edit : ignore the part about exynos exploit as I was using the unofficial version of kernel so works fine on official release :)

SIGNATURE

PHONE : SGSII
Sent via: Tapatalk 2
Main ROM: Alliance rom v5.1

KERNEL : LSJ TWRP O.3
(DEFAULT PROFILE AND SETTINGS)
MODEM :
BATTERY : Stock 1650mAh
EXTERNAL Sdcard : Samsung Class 10 32gb

Last edited:

gokhanmoral

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 16, 2006
Ankara
www.isyam.bilkent.edu.tr
Ok having used beta kernel for just over 30 mins it's seems to be good and stable. :):thumbup:

But unfortunately the memory exploit is still there using chainfires boot test.

a2e8uta2.jpg

But we got to remember GM had to rush this release out for us so we need to be more patient and will be fixed in time:)

On the bright side no lock screen freeze so the older wifi driver was a good move.

Will carry out more tests and update then.

Thanks GM. What a guy;):thumbup:

SIGNATURE

KERNEL : LSJ TWRP O.3
MODEM :

Did you flash the one on d-h.st or are you still on the one that you downloaded from Dropbox? Because you may have an older version as I fixed exynos mem issue just before uploading to devhost. But still I cannot say for sure that it works. However the same method prevented chainfire's app to root an unrooted phone.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

MangeH73

Jul 11, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11
If I flash dorimanx kernels and go to cwm i can flash this through cwm but not from philz kernels then i get status 7

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

gokhanmoral

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Mar 16, 2006
Ankara
www.isyam.bilkent.edu.tr
Get status 7 error when flashing

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Flash tar using mobile odin if cwm version fails. It probably fails because your CWM recovery doesn't have the props that the kernel flashing script checks to prevent bricking phones having different partition layout (that happened to the ones flashing kernels which were meant for international variants to US variants)

THE RED BLUR

Mar 7, 2012
LONDON
Did you flash the one on d-h.st or are you still on the one that you downloaded from Dropbox? Because you may have an older version as I fixed exynos mem issue just before uploading to devhost. But still I cannot say for sure that it works. However the sane method prevented chainfire's app to root an unrooted phone.

Hi mate.:) I'm on the last one you sent via Dropbox. The tar version.

Go to sleep buddy. Don't worry about it for today I think you done more then enough ;)

If you want I can re download directly from site and test.

Edit. I will download and flash now Cwm version and update this post.

Yes it works now after flashing cwm version of siyah.

upe9aseg.jpg

So nothing to worry about :):thumbup:

Only issue noted is video recording not working. Taking pictures is fine.

SIGNATURE

KERNEL : Siyah v6.0b2.
MODEM :

Last edited:

nogo8888

Oct 31, 2012
As long as you are on Samsung jb leak, yes, it boots.

hi sir GM, thank you so much for including usbserial and pl2303 support for this kernel. The absence of this feature in stock kernel prevented me from going to jb until i`ve heared that you will support for jb leaked.

I should say that this is the best xmas gift I had.

again a million thanks to you.

i9100
XXLSJ NeatROM lite v4.0

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356310706963.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356310706963.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 331

nogo8888

Oct 31, 2012
stweaks updated with paypal link removed. how can i show my gratitude for sir GM? hayys

i9100
XXLSJ NeatROM lite v4.0
Siyah-S2-v6.0b2

nogo8888

Oct 31, 2012
One thing I've noticed my xda premium app and browser loads faster. I think GM has "made the right move to load the old wifi driver" (restatement from @the red blur)

i9100
XXLSJ NeatROM lite v4.0
Siyah-S2-v6.0b2

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi guys.

I was away for some time and I didn't read most of the messages lately including the ones in my s3 and xperia threads as well as the discussion threads.
    I have just skipped to the end.
    as you have read in the announcement post of v6.0b5 I know have an s2 (thanks to mbwatson. the device is perfectly working).
    I have tested v6.0b5 on omega rom v20 and yesterday's cm10.1
    I am hoping to release it tonight or tomorrow.
    it is still beta because dualboot needs some more work.
    you can have two cm10.1 or any other cm-based rom but not samsung JB as first or 2nd.
    the changes are not difficult but the repository that I need to clone is big.

I hope I will add dualbooting in b6 and I will also add some touch2wake patches (implemented by robertobsc. we were talking about it for a long time but his last email is still being kept unread in my mailbox which was sent about a month ago :) )
    then I will spend some time on cypress driver because samsung has changed it a long time ago (and now they have changed it again) but we are still using good-old-messy-driver which has all BLN related changes.

that's all for now. I doubt I will have time to read and post more, so please give help to those who seek it :)
    I had some time today and merged JB kernel with my modifications.
    there were too many conflicts (because of my previous merges with s3 kernel) and I resolved them in 20-30 minutes.
    I have sent the blindly compiled kernel to a friend and he said that it booted but the modem did not work.
    so, everything is (almost) ready. I just need an s2 for several hours.
    then some time to make dual-boot related changed (I need at least a day)
    I have also put cm10.1 support but I think I will have to remove it because it moves your sdcard contents to a subfolder named 0. multiuser support will create different folders for different users and that will probably break dualboot support.
    so, I will have to find another place to store dual-boot related files.
    can anyone state in a few sentences the very major differences between stock cm10, siyah and dorimanx kernels?
    strong and not so strong points of each of them.

this would be useful for a large majority of 'not sophisticated' users to make a decision which kernel to choose.

cm10 is the best kernel for cm10 based ROMs. it is developed by the guys who know what they are doing.

siyah have some cherrypicks from here and there and some new features. I no longer cherrypick commits that I cannot understand (I used to be doing that a lot). STweaks lets you make some changes easily, without the need of init scripts. siyah supports both samsung and cm roms (except for 10.1) and you can use dualboot feature to have two roms at a time.

dorimanx's kernel has lots of cherrypicks and he generally tries to catch the latest upstream. I don't understand most of his cherrypicks and he doesn't neither. I guess he trusts the commits from upstream but it may cause instabilities sometimes. however, if those instabilities are fixed those commits may give you some additional performance or even stability (irony? yes). that kernel also have STweaks support and has some more configurables. Dorimanx also uses my commits to support both samsung and cm roms with a single image and also the recovery+initramfs that I modified for dualboot feature. in initramfs there are some more scripts + optimizations some of which I find dangerous and unnecessary but most of them are optional anyway.

so, if you want to play safe and make sure everything runs as expected use cm10 stock kernel.
    if you want some new features and have time to play with some settings use siyah.
    if you have more time and want to have currently the most benchmark-friendly , fast and up-to-date (considering the cherrypicks from upstream) kernel with some experimental features use dorimanx.
    it is a little unfair to expect people doing something for free and fun to do it very well documented and perfect.

I never claimed that my work was perfect. indeed, it is not. and I can live with that. also a lot of people can live with that and like it.

even samsung doesn't do it properly even though you have paid for their product. releasing defective chips, buggy kernels, no commit history, late or sometimes no release for the changes in the kernel (violating gpl), no documentation, no source to support opensource development...

yeah, I know, some users may flash the latest one on ICS (even on gingerbread, or on another S2 variant) and soft-brick their device. they will have to use odin and nobody should flash any kernels if they cannot take the risk.

so, dikidera: either you should stop flashing kernels, or I should stop making new ones.
    wanna open a voting poll for it? :p
    sorry guys but I don't have any s2 around.
    as soon as I borrow one I will compile another kernel and also fix dual booting problem with Samsung JB
    I'm also a little busy lately. I am planning to borrow a friend's phone next week for an update.