[Kernel] RenderZenith OP5T [OOS/LineageOS V4.2.0] (22 Mar 2019)

Search This thread

Amisuta

Dec 13, 2013
Not sure if this is attributed to the kernel, but I am experiencing occasional scroll lag and buggy night mode. The screen turns more grayscale than warm when automatically switching to night mode. Wondering if others are experiencing the same

silvergold

May 17, 2008
Bucharest
Not sure if this is attributed to the kernel, but I am experiencing occasional scroll lag and buggy night mode. The screen turns more grayscale than warm when automatically switching to night mode. Wondering if others are experiencing the same

I seem to be having the same issue. Rebooting the phone works, but it becomes annoying.

Goutham Ganesh

Aug 10, 2015
Bengaluru
restarting system UI, locking and unlocking the phone once does the job for me.

Sent from my OnePlus5T using XDA Labs

Reactions: Amisuta

nadiration

Sep 4, 2015
Hi guys,sincere thanks for the kernel on pie ..........but when i download the zip and try to flash it through twrp.....gives me an error of the zip file format is invalid......have tried every twrp recovery(normal,blue spark,codx,redwolf......nothing helps......please help me ...i wamt to use it on my phone but cant get to do it.....would love your help on the matter
Are you sure you have downloaded the .zip file and not the .tar.giz file?

tweeny80

Jul 2, 2012

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190224-215248.jpg
    Screenshot_20190224-215248.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 387
  • Screenshot_20190224-215313.jpg
    Screenshot_20190224-215313.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 380

Stardro

Sep 24, 2018
Hi guys, first of all I wanted to thank @RenderBroken and @joshuous for the magnificent work done, after trying various kernels for OnePlus 5T I can say that yours is the most lean and performing. Then since for a while time everything is silent even in the beta group of Telegram I was wondering if there are news on future updates for op5 / 5t. I ask because me and other users are having random problems with night mode and scroll lag. Thanks again for all the work, I hope to have good news soon.

Reactions: RenderBroken

RenderBroken

Recognized Developer
Sep 14, 2013
/home/renderbroken/android
Hi guys, first of all I wanted to thank @RenderBroken and @joshuous for the magnificent work done, after trying various kernels for OnePlus 5T I can say that yours is the most lean and performing. Then since for a while time everything is silent even in the beta group of Telegram I was wondering if there are news on future updates for op5 / 5t. I ask because me and other users are having random problems with night mode and scroll lag. Thanks again for all the work, I hope to have good news soon.
Hey,

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, development is still moving forward for the op5. Unfortunately, my op5 was stolen awhile back and with the kind of development we do, it cannot be done blindly. Because of this, Josh has been taking the lead on the op5 and I the op6. Doubly unfortunate that Josh has been swamped with an insane workload at work. Triply (lol), real life always comes first for him and I otherwise we would burn out from real life needs along with work and that other things that are bound to come up.

I say this all just to explain a bit about what is going on. Hang tight and I am sure things will open up for us so we can start moving forward again on the op5.

Last edited:

FrankJHTC

Jun 7, 2013
New test build in telegram is super fluid and solid. Hope to see a official release soon.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Thanks.. But where can I found the telegram link?

Thanks

I found it.. But I can't see where I can download the Kernel

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A5010 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stardro

Sep 24, 2018
Guys I do not receive notifications when the phone is asleep, then I get them all when I turn on the screen. Does it happen to you too? I'm using the latest beta version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Render_Zenith-cropped.png

for OOS and LineageOS OP5/OP5T​

Code:
    /*  *** Disclaimer
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, 
    * or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research 
    * if you have any concerns about features included in this KERNEL
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    * BOOM goes the Dynamite
    */

This kernel is a joint collaboration between @joshuous and myself. Our primary goal is to deliver a fast, smooth and stable kernel with Energy Aware Scheduling (EAS). We have spent countless hours backporting, experimenting, tuning and improving our understanding of EAS in our kernels. We aim to keep our kernel slim on features, adding only what we believe is essential.

It is also our desire to initiate Development Discussions among the community. This will be a noob friendly thread as long as users follow two rules. First is to do some research before asking. Most likely your question has already been asked. If not in this thread then in another. Remember to always search first! Second is BE RESPECTFUL. You do these two things and even the most hardened Dev will assist you.

Features:
    * Energy Aware Scheduler enabled
    * Dynamic Stune Boost

Kernel Downloads:
    Latest OOS Build (Magisk required for ramdisk changes to apply!)
    Latest LineageOS 16.0 Build

Instructions:
    * Boot into Recovery
    * (Recommended) Make a complete backup of everything! At least backup BOOT via TWRP
    * If you're not coming from completely stock kernel, please dirty flash your stock ROM first
    * Flash kernel zip
    * Flash Magisk (compulsory only for OOS build to get ramdisk changes working!)
    * Reboot

Reporting Bugs (please read):
    * Make sure you're not using any tweak apps (Greenify, Naptime, anything else related), otherwise no support will be given. If you have an issue, disable all your tweaks first and see if that fixes your problem. Otherwise, flash the stock kernel and see if you can reproduce it as well.
    * If you previously flashed another kernel, make sure you dirty flashed the full ROM zip before flashing RenderZenith kernel.
    * Logs! Please provide dmesg kernel logs via Syslog app. If you experienced a kernel panic (system crash/reboot) please provide all ramoops file in /sys/fs/pstore/

THANKS!!!!
    * The kind people who keep this project alive
    * Everyone who supported us throughout our projects
    * @joshuous for his partnership and collaboration with our current projects and many more to come. The future looks bright!

Source Links:
    https://github.com/EAS-Project/op5-kernel/commits/master
    https://github.com/EAS-Project/op5-kernel/commits/lineage-16.0-master
    https://github.com/EAS-Project/AnyKernel2

EAS writeups:
    Dynamic Stune Boosting
    PELT and WALT

XDA:DevDB Information
    [Kernel] RenderZenith OP5T [OOS/LineageOS V4.2.0] (22 Mar 2019), Kernel for the OnePlus 5T

Contributors
    RenderBroken, joshuous
    Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2018-02-12
    Last Updated 2019-03-22
    RZ-3.4.0 is HERE!

Things to note:
    Merged Linux stable release 4.4.138
    Merged CAF Tag LA.UM.6.2.r1-08900-sdm660.0
    Updated SCHEDUTIL
    Update Dynamic Stune - More to come on this feature.
    Further optimization of our systemless flashable.
    And of course, much more. Check changelog for details.

Downloads:
    Version for Treble OOS
    Version for Non-Treble OOS

Changelog
    It is getting close now. @joshuous Has been working hard on refining our EAS base. I think this next release will be even better than that last (ofc. . .) It should also be carrying our normal kernel features like from our N kernel minus wakelock blocking as we are still undecided there. We have so many cool things we are working on and things we want to work on. I know I have been swamped with work and projects and I know Josh has been busy too. I also know that sometimes it takes us a bit of time to release. But I also know that our releases are solid. They perform like no other and we strive to achieve the greatest user experience possible. I would say that it's definitely worth the wait. Good news is, the wait will soon be over. Thanks guys for your patience and for being the greatest community out there.
    EAS RZ-3.0.0 for OxygenOS release!

Sorry it took quite a while. I had EAS up and running since 20 Dec, but had inspiration for other performance improvements, and real life was happening for @RenderBroken and me. The wait is now over!

Instructions (IMPORTANT!)
    - Dirty flash OOS before coming from another kernel
    - Dirty flash OOS before switching to another kernel

What's in?
    - EAS for msm-4.4
    - Westwood TCP congestion algorithm (default)
    - CFQ (default)
    - Schedutil (default)
    - Compatible with stock CAF performance framework
    - WALT load tracking (default)
    - Upstreamed to Linux 4.4.114
    - Upstreamed to CAF 6.4.6100
    - Dynamic Stune Boost v3 (proper top-app detection)
    - Minimum freq set to 300MHz on Little and Big. We're currently evaluating the impact of CAF's new higher default min freqs.
    - Compiled with GCC 6.4

FAQs
    1. Is it...?
    Yes, it's unified. All new OOS kernels are unified by default.

2. Notification delays over wifi?
    I believe I have fixed it. Please confirm with me if you still face issues with this.

3. What ROM does this work on?
    OOS Oreo only for now. I test my kernels on the latest stable release.

4. What about the missing features that were present in Nougat kernel?
    We'll bring these features back in future releases.

Bug reporting
    As always, proper bug reporting etiquette includes the following:
    1. Logs (dmesg / ramoops). You may use Syslog app to collect.
    2. A description of the problem and how to reproduce it (if possible)
    3. Confirm that you have tried dirty flashing OOS followed by RenderZenith kernel again, and that you still experience the bug.

Let us know how the kernel works for you!

Download

Source and Changelog
    This kernel is amazing! Smoothest kernel for 5T, huge improvement over stock.

Features missing which prevent it from being daily driver status on my device: KCAL, sound control, wakelock blocker. However, OP says these features will be added in later. All I can do is wait in anticipation for the next update. :fingers-crossed: Thanks a lot devs for bringing EAS to 5T, your hardwork is very appreciated.

I am currently working on the next build. For sure there will be KCAL and Sound Control. @joshuous and I have discussed wakelocks for sometime now and we both are concerned about abuse in this area that can lead to regressions or other bugs.

A quick anecdote:

I have been doing kernel work over the years and I tend to try and leave things be unless they can be improved. I noticed on the OP3 so many different people would complain of not getting goo SOT or active/passive drainage rate. They would say that they are trying everything like naptime, adjusting Doze mode, blocking different wakelocks. They would complain that the Finger Print sensor wasn't working right or fast enough, ETC. You get the point.

I would never have any such issues. My SOT is pretty good and I don't have the minor issues others have all over the place. I don't touch Doze (no naptime) and I don't block any wakelocks. So in my humble opinion, I don't really think its worth it. Both our goals is to have a kernel that performs, gives great batterylife, but even more important, it gives an amazing user experience. If I have to give up 1% drainage to have a smooth, problem free UX. Then its worth it.

BUT, I am never so stuck in my ways that I won't consider something. I will continue to mull over wakelock blocking. I appreciate the kind words!