[KERNEL & ROM] [RAY] Ray / Stock-based: kernel/rom Repack by 4pda.ru team

Search This thread

aire

Nov 30, 2007
We are glad to present our kernel and ROM for Xperia Ray (st18i).

Stock-based ROM with cutting all no-necessary software. Kernel assembled from sources with usefull modifications.

ROM is very light-weight but powerful. There are NO any google apps in ROM. This is our rule. You can install it from "standard" GAPPS packadge from CM 7.2 topic.
You may use kernel with our rom or with your own stock-based rom including full stock, with any baseband. (we recommend 58 radio).
Both the kernel and the rom have passed test many weeks before we offer it to you.

ROM features:

- removed bloatware: google apps, SE anonymous statistics, adobe apps, ant+ apps, datamonitor, devicemonitor, facebook apps, timescape and all of their integrations. Thus, you have a lot of space for your programs.
- all other good and useful SE apps are still here: player, gallery, camera (including 3D), FM radio, TrackID, browser, default launcher.
- root and Superuser software are included
- useful switches in notification area, clean and precise battery indicator

ROM downloads:
primary mirror: http://narod.ru/disk/35145199001/ST18i_REPACK4PDA_6.zip.html
secondary mirror: http://www.multiupload.com/VAOQ83X1SX

Kernel features:

- kernel is assembled from SE sources with usefull modifications
- cwm recovery
- light and balanced overclock up to 1.4 GHz (we leave SE frequences grid) (default frequence range: 122 MHz - 1 GHz)
- deep undervolting but working under hard loading
- default and recommended governeur is SmartassV2 (we have been testing power savings for some weeks with many different kernel settings!)
- support for dual channel voice call recording (with CallRecorder software by skvalex)
- as a result, power consuming is just a bit higher in overclocked mode and usually much less than on stock firmware
- guaranted very deep sleep in suspend mode
- very stable work and all-sides-testing

Kernel downloads:
primary mirror: http://narod.ru/disk/36316696001/bootuv5.img.html
secondary mirror: http://www.multiupload.com/UKGMCCMX2C

Installation procedure is usual:

- download rom & kernel
- put rom into sdcard
- you can also put gapps package into sdcard if you want to install Google apps
- reboot your phone to "fastboot mode" (switch off power, press Vol+ button and plug USB cable)
- flash kernel with command 'fastboot flash boot bootuv4.img'
- unplug cable, power on phone, press Vol- when the screen becomes bright for entering to recovery
- select 'backup' option and backup your previous firmware (just for safety reason)
- you DON'T need to clear user data -- wipe is not required!
- select 'install zip', select our rom file, wait for installing firmware
- install gapps package with the same command, if you need it
- select 'reboot'
You get a new rom!

Our plans:
- we are constantly searching for new features to implement into a kernel
- we are testing a kernel with the new approach now, with new compression, with new init.d feature
- stay with us))

Last edited:

Bazonga

Oct 9, 2011
I'm considering flashing your ROM, but why wouldn't you let us overclock to 1.9 or 2.0 Ghz and "only" to 1.4 Ghz?

Bazonga

Oct 9, 2011
Just flash hartej/DoomLord Kernel if you want to OC higher...

Yeah I have that one flashed already, but I would like to know if this one is "better".
To Aire: What can the kernel of this ROM do more that DoomLord's kernel? In other words, why should I use yours and not DoomLord's?

jackchua65

Feb 17, 2010
I am so happy that aire post his great work here!!!!

I am using both kernel and ROM for more than 1 week and I can tell you that is the best in term of stability, speed and battery.

I so frequent checking the 4PDA forum for your work and use Google translate the message. So most of the time is guessing, and now you are here... thank you.. big thank you.

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 AM ----------

Yeah I have that one flashed already, but I would like to know if this one is "better".
To Aire: What can the kernel of this ROM do more that DoomLord's kernel? In other words, why should I use yours and not DoomLord's?

Actually you can just try it out yourself to compare the difference and tell us about your finding.

What I found is without further setting, compare to DoomLord's kernel, the battery life is much better in this kernel.

lukewong01

May 17, 2011
Our plans:
- we are testing a kernel with the new approach now, with new compression, with new init.d feature
- stay with us))

Great to see new developer joining us..!..Yay..hope to see stock with CM7 features ported....:)

coolkaas

Nov 14, 2010
thanks for your interest, guys!

while we prepared this first post (translate it) for bootuv4, aire has released a new kernel bootuv5. But translated features remained from previous ver. Now I will write up-to-dated features for you.
(so what you read 'in our plans' -- this is not future but presence release features)))

bootuv5 features:
- extremal undervolting at all frequencies
- filesystem support: ext2, ext3, ext4, yaffs2, vfat, ntfs
- overclock up to 1.4 GHz (work range 122 - 1024 GHz)
- init.d support
- default (and recommended!) governor is smartassV2
- ClockWorkMod Recovery 5.0.2.7
- anonymous services support removed (from kernel)
- fota support removed (from kernel)
- bidirectional calls recording

about 1.4 ghz.. Guys, SE kernel has calculated the manufacturer a grid of frequencies, if we add intermediate frequencies or overclock frequencies in table pll2_tbl (in kernel settings) -- in any case we have increasing a consumption.
We don't know how DoomLord has calculate this expanded table but all our tests says that battery drains more rapidly than on the default table. EVEN IF you will set 'default' 1ghz frequency in overclocked (to 1.8-2 ghz) kernel the consumption will NOT as at SE kernel, SE frequencies grid. The reason consists in it.
In real tasks enough 1.4 ghz, guys! But phone perfectly sleeps)) Any percent doesn't spend for a night. Is this not enough?

About init.d. In last repack4PDA (rom) the training script which is in a folder /etc/init.d is added. It named 'Scpufreq' and consists some commands to init default frequencies range and def. governor. You may try to change it for you taste)) But note that names of your scripts MUST begins from upper-case 'S', and permissions must be as r-xr-xr-x.

We will try to answer your questions, because aire have no time to read this topic.

ps. Don't forget that we tested more than month several kernel assembles and give you checked up Emerald))

Patshad

Feb 11, 2011
Good to see another dev here! I Was using your latest kernel with stock .42 rom from SE for a little week or 2. Worked brilliant. Now I have flashed this rom, the repack4pda .58 version, and I am experiencing severe batterydrain in standby. Overnight I lost 26% when the phone was laying idle on my desk. There were almost nog wakelocks present, phone was awake for 3 times. I had this once before, that was when I flashed the hongkong edition .58 rom posted elsewhere on xda for ray. I think it has something to do with the baseband of this rom.
I found another baseband here on xda (also provided by you, thanks) and flashed that. After the baseband I flashed your kernel. The rom you have made is very fast and sleek, so I hope that this will solve my problem. Otherwise I have to revert to stock .42 again and start deleting bloatware.

See this screenshot of my overnight drain:

246185g.png

vleutmans

Feb 6, 2011
didn't try this rom+kernel....yet.
I'm currently on stock rom + doomlord kernel (bloatware removed from ROM).

I notice better battery life (@same clock speeds as stock) after rooting "and" 'battery calibration' app (free from market).

So fully charge the phone, then when still on charger at 100%, press "calibrate".

Hopefully this tool will extend battery life further :)

Please send you comments/experiences about the battery calibration, I used this tool successfully on my previous samsung apollo.

Reactions: Gplaygame

Patshad

Feb 11, 2011

I notice better battery life (@same clock speeds as stock) after rooting "and" 'battery calibration' app (free from market).

So fully charge the phone, then when still on charger at 100%, press "calibrate".

Hopefully this tool will extend battery life further :)

Please send you comments/experiences about the battery calibration, I used this tool successfully on my previous samsung apollo.

I have used that tool before. On .42, I managed to last 51 hours with the phone. Now, when my battery reaches 10%, it goes to 1% and the phone shutsdown. I will try to erase batterystats from cwm as soon as my phone is fully charged again. I used to have a Desire HD, I wiped batterystats from cwm there all the time and that worked great.

coolkaas

Nov 14, 2010
you can try new kernel w/o reinstall rom. this rom just more clean than we can clear it 'by hands')) if your current rom is ok -- no need to reinstall it.

Question is not for this topic, I think. Recalibrate battery statistics file need if you reflash cyanogen after stock or vice versa. If your rom is stock usually no need battery file deleting.
If your battery drains quick (as it seems to you) at first, once a month it is necessary for us to discharge the battery completely, then charge it _without interruption_. And even allow be at charger 20-30 minutes after 100%. (NOT at all night!) Repeats this twice. After that a new statistics will register to battery file and phone will 'know' it real edges of 0 and 100 percents.
At second, need to see which apps wake phone up. You may install any special app for battery and processes monitoring, e.g. battery mix, and see it statistics after some days for who eat battery)).

ImmortAlex

Jan 3, 2012
Novosibirsk, Siberia, Russia
I'm considering flashing your ROM, but why wouldn't you let us overclock to 1.9 or 2.0 Ghz and "only" to 1.4 Ghz?

DoomLord's approach is probably wrong, but we do not know what exactly is wrong. His overcloclocking method looks like "brute force" leading to higher power consumption no matter how you are using your Ray, even if you are not using it at all.
aire doesn't modify any frequencies tables in source code, just cheat some part of a kernel showing it than it's not a Ray, but Arc S (oh yeah, you don't get an Arc S for free anyway :D ). So we get frequency range as it designed by SE developers. Than he add some good governers, apply extreme but stable and tested undervolting, and we got that brilliant... oh, sorry... pure emerald[1] :D kernel.

Combined with clean REPACK4PDA rom, this kernel give you good starting point to set up your SE Xperia Ray (which me personally assume as one of the best smartphone today) to work fast and long.

[1]About "PureEmerald" name, as we call this kernel on 4pda.ru. There is a tale by a greatest russian poet A.S. Pushkin, "A poem about tzar Saltan". This is a small part of this poem translated to english:

Here's a wonder, though, worth telling -
There's a little squirrel dwelling
In a fir tree; all day long,
Cracking nuts, it sings a song.
Nuts - most wondrous to behold!
Every shell is solid gold;
Kernels - each an emerald pure!
That's a wonder, to be sure.

Last edited:

speola

Dec 16, 2011
Bluetooth again ..

.. like so often: nice image with cool features - but I don´t get serial ports from the connected bluetooth device on my pc (to sync with myphonexplorer, works good using stock firmware ).

Same issue in CM7: some versions creating these ports, some not. Maybe I have to change some settings on the phone, any ideas ?
I also have tried to install gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip, but the market did not appear in the app list.

But anyway: one day it will work and I say THANK YOU :)

Is there a way to get the quickpanel in stock firmware, just in case.. I don´t believe it is only the QuickPanelSettings.apk right ?

Last edited:

Kaskade

Aug 14, 2011
Good to see new devs with somewhat new approaches of modding. For example, i love the "keep it stock" way you guys do this.

Flashed just the kernel, the battery life is great and call recording works flawlessly, so.. thanks! :)

37_

Nov 10, 2009
I confirm the battery drain with doomlord kernel is very very very fast, even in flight mode without any activities and default clock of 1 ghz :mad:

now I will try your kenel

suur13

Sep 27, 2009
Installed v5 kernel (on stock .58 HK ROM, which is manually cleaned from bloat).
Works fast and stable, but no noticeable battery life improvement. Still drains 1% per hour at night, when it is laying on desk idle (Wi-Fi turned off). So no deep sleep I guess..

Battery stat. is showing that 65% is used by "Idle process". Shall I adjust something ?

Patshad

Feb 11, 2011
After installing gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip, you need to manually add a google account under accounts and synchronization. After that, the market is there :)

Reactions: speola

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We are glad to present our kernel and ROM for Xperia Ray (st18i).

Stock-based ROM with cutting all no-necessary software. Kernel assembled from sources with usefull modifications.

ROM is very light-weight but powerful. There are NO any google apps in ROM. This is our rule. You can install it from "standard" GAPPS packadge from CM 7.2 topic.
    You may use kernel with our rom or with your own stock-based rom including full stock, with any baseband. (we recommend 58 radio).
    Both the kernel and the rom have passed test many weeks before we offer it to you.

ROM features:

- removed bloatware: google apps, SE anonymous statistics, adobe apps, ant+ apps, datamonitor, devicemonitor, facebook apps, timescape and all of their integrations. Thus, you have a lot of space for your programs.
    - all other good and useful SE apps are still here: player, gallery, camera (including 3D), FM radio, TrackID, browser, default launcher.
    - root and Superuser software are included
    - useful switches in notification area, clean and precise battery indicator

ROM downloads:
    primary mirror: http://narod.ru/disk/35145199001/ST18i_REPACK4PDA_6.zip.html
    secondary mirror: http://www.multiupload.com/VAOQ83X1SX

Kernel features:

- kernel is assembled from SE sources with usefull modifications
    - cwm recovery
    - light and balanced overclock up to 1.4 GHz (we leave SE frequences grid) (default frequence range: 122 MHz - 1 GHz)
    - deep undervolting but working under hard loading
    - default and recommended governeur is SmartassV2 (we have been testing power savings for some weeks with many different kernel settings!)
    - support for dual channel voice call recording (with CallRecorder software by skvalex)
    - as a result, power consuming is just a bit higher in overclocked mode and usually much less than on stock firmware
    - guaranted very deep sleep in suspend mode
    - very stable work and all-sides-testing

Kernel downloads:
    primary mirror: http://narod.ru/disk/36316696001/bootuv5.img.html
    secondary mirror: http://www.multiupload.com/UKGMCCMX2C

Installation procedure is usual:

- download rom & kernel
    - put rom into sdcard
    - you can also put gapps package into sdcard if you want to install Google apps
    - reboot your phone to "fastboot mode" (switch off power, press Vol+ button and plug USB cable)
    - flash kernel with command 'fastboot flash boot bootuv4.img'
    - unplug cable, power on phone, press Vol- when the screen becomes bright for entering to recovery
    - select 'backup' option and backup your previous firmware (just for safety reason)
    - you DON'T need to clear user data -- wipe is not required!
    - select 'install zip', select our rom file, wait for installing firmware
    - install gapps package with the same command, if you need it
    - select 'reboot'
    You get a new rom!

Our plans:
    - stay with us))
    Friends, for those who enjoyed the works of my art has come a rainy day. I stop the development and support of the kernels and firmwares for the Xperia Ray.

Thanks to all who enjoyed the kernels and firmware. Thanks to everyone who helped conduct this branch and to rake questions from users.
    It was a very interesting experience.

Good luck to everyone.
    http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=273696&view=findpost&p=12145242

+ Supports stock firmwares 4.C.1.0.6 and 4.C.1.0.7
    + Supports all radio up to v66.
    + Undervolting
    + Supported filesystem: ext2, ext3, ext4, yaffs2, vfat, ntfs.
    + Overclock up to 1,4ГГц.
    + Freq. range: 122 - 1401 MHz.
    + Default gouverner: smartassV2.
    + ClockWorkMod Recovery 5.5.0.4
    + Removed FOTA and anonymous statistic service
    + 2-way call recording
    Emerald Kernel 7 for REPACK/stock and Emerald Kernel 3 for MIUI are now released!

Kernels features:
    • new recovery, ver. 5.5.0.4;
    • new ramdisk compression method. it now compressed by lzma;
    • mod for increase RAM: about 20Mb for MIUI kernel and about 10Mb for stock;
    • overclock up to 1,6GHz. by default freq range between 134MHz and 1,4GHz;
      (WARNING! Extreme overclock may damage your device! Don't use permanently freq more than 1,4GHz!).
    • cpu voltage control thru sysfs
    • 2-way line recording for CallRecorder app
    • supports ntfs, vfat, ext4, ext3, yaffs
    • more CPUFreq governers

Thanks to DooMLorD, FXP, skvalex and 4pda.ru team!

Kernel for REPACK/Stock: View attachment bootpe7.img.7z
    Kernel for MIUI: View attachment boot_miui_rel3.img.7z
    Repack V7 build 6 2013

Hi all,

i just release repack4pda 2013 (build6 + build7) for everyone.

Q: Why would i flash this "old" GB ROM, while there is ICS and JB (CM10) too ?
    A: This ROM is for people who are fed up with flashing different roms everyday to find a bugfree and fast one.

Q: How do you and I know this ROM is fast ?
    A: Try the game "temple run brave" on any of your "other" ROMs, and then compare to this one. Convinced ? press thanks button.

Q: I want this and that to be added to the rom
    A: If you're sure your suggestion is better than stock, I will review and add it

Q: Why is this rom so boring stock ?
    A: Personally I dont care about the "looks". I just want no bugs and pure speed, thats why I revive this rom.

Q: What is free mem and internal storage space ?
    A: Free mem is about 270 MB, internal storage 370 MB

Q: Is this rom odexed ?
    A: Not yet. Only when its so close to perfection I odex it, and you finally will get 420 MB internal storage for free.

Q: there must be "some" disadvantage by using GB right ?
    A: To be honest, whatever kernel I tried (and I tried all) , GB seem to drain battery a bit faster as ICS. I cannot fix that.

Q: known bugs ?
    A: None to me. If you find bugs, they are on stock and hopefully i can fix that,

Q: What will you do when we all like build 6 ?
    A: I will odex and either make a new thread for this rom, or I ask the original repack4pda dev. to update first thread...if they like.

Q: Why dont you make a rom on higher OS, like ICS or CM10 ?
    A: ICS and CM10 (JB 4.1.2) either are too heavy for the Ray (so slower), or lack a good (video)camera like GB

Some geeky features:
    - rom has init.d support built in. "ANY" kernel will get init.d support this way.
    - rebuild on Repack4pda, updated system files, gapps included--> All in one zip.
    - tweaked services.jar for better multitasking (see thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1914159 )
    - some init.d script tweaks I found they actually work a bit
    - Extreme Camera mod for GB (see thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1569309 )

I made the init.d script for use with doomlord kernel (for SIO io scheduler support) , so my advice is to use that kernel which is added to this thread
    You can use another kernel safely though...but forget SIO then.

How to flash (from "any" rom on "any" android version) :
    - copy rom zip and 10in1 framework zip to sdcard root dir.
    - flash kernel (see download link)
    - in CWM, do factory reset and dont forget to format /system (you see that in "mounts and storage")
    - select rom zip and flash it.
    - Reboot the phone. Let the rom boot normally.
    - When phone is fully booted, reboot again in cwm and flash 10in1 framework ui mod.
    -Still in cwm. Wipe cache and dalvik cache.
    -Boot the phone

reboot

done

Downloads :
    When you are on build 6 already, you can go to step 3

1) Late aire kernel(aire@mar#9) , fast and battery friendly according to ™ God ™ : https://www.dropbox.com/s/708cwptkmjpcc3e/Aire GB RAY.img
    2) Link to ROM : https://www.dropbox.com/s/vnsrenmkdqq21tq/REPACK4PDA_V7_build6.zip
    3) update for build 6 : 10-in-1 Framework+SystemUI Mod (+Xperia S Theme) (+2G/3G Toggle) + flashlight : https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wiysi3mo8dadie/AIOMod_hansip-STheme+BattMod+2g3g+flash.zip

Enjoy

Br.

M1CH3L