• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[KERNEL] [ROOT][MM | N] [SM-G920P] [19-Jan-2019] SkyHigh Kernel (Port) [v7.30]

Search This thread

Nye-uhls

Jun 25, 2016
Grand Rapids
The issue is Magisk, not BD or this kernel. Magisk v12 loses root now and then, and further the overlay files the SkyHigh Magisk module lays down are not necessarily compatible with BD (Samsung played a very bad trick on S6 users). All that will surely drive one nuts. Magisk V12 also cannot pass SafetyNet without dramatic acrobatics. That is why SuperSU let's you succeed. SuperSU, however, does not have the kind of module abilities and hiding that Magisk has. We are just caught in a bit of transition.

As well, so all know, the latest firmware has a dramatic number of better memory leak fixes, so those who kept trying to fix that with kernel tweaks (or otherwise thinking somehow the kernel was leaking) will be thrilled. That's likely the end of BD ROM unless the author one day sends the base so possibly I can update it.

Next update to this kernel roots with v13 Magisk, which we just got dramatically close to release today. We are literally days away now. Soon thereafter I'll update this kernel.

Working with Magisk has not need easy, so I definitely applaud your efforts and feel your pain. With that said, I am running my latest TDHJR ROM (not yet released for the same reasons -- waiting for release of v13 Magisk) with Magisk v13 beta (latest, dropped just today) and it is flawless so far.

I will update everyone very soon.
You're my hero for still hanging in there after all this crap you've had to deal with since nougat.

Agreed on the flawlessness of the new magisk beta, the only issue I've run into is magisk not setting proper permissions for boot scripts

Also, yes the firmware news is a huge relief lol

gimmeitorilltell

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 6, 2012
So ive never had any problems with BigDaddy or SkyHigh Kernel. But ever since the new kernel update no matter what I do either my bluetooth or my hotspot wont work. Ive tried everything i can think of. Ive odined backbto stock. flashed BigDaddy then flashed kernel. Then I have to remove magisk and use supersu so the hotspot fix will work. But everytime either i get bluetooth working and hotspot gets the subscriber error or bluetooth wont turn on and the hotspot fix works. The only real fix ive found is to just not use the SkyHigh kernel which sucks. If I just flash BigDaddy and still remove magisk then i can get both to work. Need some help. Thank you.

I have the same issue plus my device is always loosing root and forgetting wifi passwords. We NEED to figure out how to ge ta good working build with open source and Tdhites kernel. Then we would have a super nice device. I have enjoyed TW roms but I build open source and it bites that I can't build for my DD. I haven't given up just yet tho.

Jimmy1life

Jan 22, 2016
Some where in Michigan
Hey he fixed the Wifi issue the last update or so. No bluetooth user here so idk about that hotspot works for me I love the kernel.

---------- Post added at 07:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

Any one update magisk im getting update available today thru the app?

Reactions: gimmeitorilltell

Nye-uhls

Jun 25, 2016
Grand Rapids
Anyone curious about in app update thru Magisk it breaks the synapse app lol says no uci so I went back to v12
This kernel only works with v12 for now (tdhite said so), the module is totally incompatible with v13... Really, all v12 modules are not going to work properly on v13+

He's working on changing things up to work with v13.

(And finding workarounds for all the other crap samsung has done to screw us over)

Reactions: Jimmy1life

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
This kernel only works with v12 for now (tdhite said so), the module is totally incompatible with v13... Really, all v12 modules are not going to work properly on v13+

He's working on changing things up to work with v13.

(And finding workarounds for all the other crap samsung has done to screw us over)

On the way this weekend. Just testing for a couple days now with Magisk v13.1 official release. Same for the my deodexed/debloated ROM (which is all I run any more).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gimmeitorilltell

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 6, 2012
Hey he fixed the Wifi issue the last update or so. No bluetooth user here so idk about that hotspot works for me I love the kernel.

---------- Post added at 07:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

Any one update magisk im getting update available today thru the app?

I'm using the June 5th "N" kernel and do not see any updates. I do see an update for the "M" kernel but that won't help me.

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
i have battery issue, battery is very bad.

You need to quantify a whole lot more than that. If you are claiming the kernel is at fault, please provides logs, indications of running apps, all that it takes to actually show a problem. At present, all users report excellent battery life with this kernel, which leaves me with little to help you.

Nye-uhls

Jun 25, 2016
Grand Rapids
Is it possible for you to release a .zip installer for the skyhigh module? Just for using if for example i were to uninstall magisk and reinstall it?

Just for the module, i realize flashing the kernel does so much more than just install the module. But i assume the module is the only thing skyhigh related that gets removed when magisk is removed.

Edit: nvm extracted it from qf1 just enough rom

Last edited:

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
Updated 07/17/2017 -- Sports Magisk v13.2 with Module

Is it possible for you to release a .zip installer for the skyhigh module? Just for using if for example i were to uninstall magisk and reinstall it?

Yup -- always the plan, now official with this UPDATE. In fact, I already updated the module to cover off on the recent SafetyNet changes by Google. Flash the one in the OP and all will be well.

As the post title states, the kernel is updated and released as v5.02 for N ROMs.

You can download the latest N kernel from the OP.

As always: READ THE DISCLAIMER!

As for the rest: the kernel package is updated. I bumped the version to 5.02 to signify the change to the package itself, but no mods are in the kernel itself at all (just the module). Therefore, if you are using the TDH-JR ROM I updated yesterday, no need to flash the kernel. You *should* flash the Magisk module to catch the recent update that covers the very recent (yesterday evening) Google release of SafetyNet updates breaking all prior Magisk installs. The module handles it, just flash the module only if you already have the kernel installed. The kernel flash (full) as the module so no need in that case.

Also, the module had an incorrect path for kernel module loading, that is also fixed in the most recent module (v1.0.20170717).

Enjoy!

:cool:

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
. . . As the post title states, the kernel is updated and released as v5.02 for N ROMs . . . .

I totally forgot to mention: The Hotspot/Tether fix is now built in to the SkyHigh Magisk Module. No need to flash anything else! Sheesh -- that was a pretty significant change (and I forgot).

Also, please throw plenty of things on @Nye-uhls, @seneko and @gargleblarg -- their donations (recent) are the kind of thing that keep it real for me. Thanks so much for that.

tdhite

Dec 4, 2012
DFW
Do i flash your rom v4. 0 first then flash your kernel? I'm running Big Daddys 6.0 rom still.

No need to flash any kernel at all after flashing the ROM.

You can flash the SkyHigh Magisk Module after installing the ROM. The module handles startup operations and I update that regularly. The kernel will not have a lot of updates, but still, the kernel itself is part of the ROM flash.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Jimmy1life

Nye-uhls

Jun 25, 2016
Grand Rapids
I flashed your rom 4.0 and flashed the magisk and now i get failed safetynet. Any suggestions? I get root is not properly installed?
Step 1: uninstall magiskmanager.
Step 2: flash magisk uninstall zip (link below).. do not reboot yet!
Step 3: flash latest magisk (link below) Still do not reboot.
Step 4: flash ONLY the skyhigh module from the OP. (Assuming you've already previously flashed the full kernel, and since you said you're using his rom, you have) Do not flash full kernel, it'll downgrade you to a previous version of magisk and you'll have to start over. Clear cache/davlik too for good measure.
Step 5: now you can reboot. Safety net should pass now.

Btw that's basically just the process to properly upgrade magisk with skyhigh module, tdhite might recommend a different process, idk. That's what seems to be the cleanest way to do it for me.

Link to official magisk thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

Edit: also, did you flash the rom clean or dirty? Going from bigdaddy to just enough rom you should do a clean wipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redhusker2018

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SkyHigh Kernel -- Ported to SM-G920P (Sprint Galaxy S6).

This is, unquestionably, the most up to date kernel for the S6 devices. That includes upstream kernel (vanilla) additions bringing it to the latest (3.10.108) publicly released. This project started as a port of the SkyHigh kernel, originally by @UpInTheAir, to the G920P kernel. this kernel, however, has a great deal of further enhancements and optimizations relevant to Sprint Galaxy S6 device. The boot image build is not embedded in the kernel sources, as it is in the original, rather is an automated build in a separate project.

Donations:
    I do accept donations, you are by no means required to, it just invigorates me to do more stuff in the kernel ;). With that said, apparently some devices fail to show the donation link next to posts, so you can click here to donate.

DISCLAIMER
    Always READ THE DISCLAIMER before engaging in modifications to your phone.

Thread Rules
    This thread is for the development and furtherance of kernel features. There are a handful of rules to this development forum with which you must comply or you'll likely get ignored:

1. This is not a general Q&A thread, it is a development thread. Please use the Q&A thread for general questions.
    2. Do not ask @UpInTheAir for support, this port is not one he maintains;
    3. Do not post anything without first searching the forums, if your issue has been discussed before, you will get no response;
    4. Do post anything relevant to the development and furtherance of the kernel. Please use the Q&A forums for questions and general discussions.

Features
    • Based on the latest available official Samsung source: Samsung OSRC
    • Base sources upgraded to Linux 3.10.108
    • A ridiculous number of optimizations and kernel bug reparations see all commits here;
    • Extensive Synapse app support for many kernel configurations;
    • ktoonservative Hotplugging CPU Governor (default, others available);
    • ktoonservative tweaks (e.g., overrides standard cpufreq screen-off handling);
    • Over/Under Clock and Voltages;
    • Wakelock control;
    • Multipath TCP Support (use Synapse to enable and select desired congestion algorithm);
    • F2FS support built in to kernel;
    • exFAT (OTG works), CIFS, NTFS, CIFS as modules (use Synapse to enable);
    • Permit FULL (auto)ROOT: ramdisk patched to support SYSTEM-LESS SuperSU or MAGISK;
    • Tether / Hotspot Fix Built In (N Kernels)
    • Auto-Install busybox & Sqlite3 to /system/xbin (on flash);
    • ramdisk base: per Sprint ROM releases;
    • KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 1;
    • SELinux PERMISSIVE (default) or ENFORCING (optional);
    • OTG support
    • DEEP SLEEP FIX;
    • init.d script support (place scripts in /system/etc/init.d & set permissions to 755 or 777 and reboot);
    • stock dt.img;
    • Mali GPU DVFS disabled for min/max frequencies;
    • Secure storage = false (prevent WIFI settings & passwords wiping on reboots);
    • Many descriptions are in the Synapse Application. If you require more info, follow the thread rules above.

Flash Descriptions:
    Note that there are two downloads: an Update and Full boot image.

The Updates are for currently running ROMs. If you just want to update the kernel and related utilities (startup scripts, busybox) and have no other modifications to your boot image, download and install the Update version. The Update injects the kernel update into your existing boot image, it does not touch the remainder of the boot image. The update is also useful in cases when folks dirty flash ROMs just to change features or have older ROMs and want to try the latest kernel, therefore do not have the ROM flash install the kernel at all. The issue with that is the ROM flashes generally do not know to keep the kernel modules, so those get deleted. This updater will reinstall those as well. In brief, it is an update of the kernel and its important files only, it does not root the ROM as does the full version.

The Full boot image flash is a complete boot image, which is the normal flash. However, some ROMs install other systems (e.g., my hotspot fixes) which also modify the boot image, specifically files in the ramdisk. For initial, or clean installs of this kernel, download and install the Full flash. It will also root the ROM for you if not already rooted (SuperSU is installed). You will want to add other boot image modifying flashes after that (though there are not that many flashes that actually modify the boot image).

The general rule is this: if you are installing this kernel on a ROM and have never installed this kernel, use the full version. If you are already running tdhite SkyHigh on a ROM, download and flash the Update version of the kernel.

tdhite SkyHigh v7.30, Magisk Rooted, Recovery Flashable for N (Nougat) ROMS
    • Kernel:
      • Kernel AFH Mirror
      • MD5 Hash: a0b362bf71767cc4418d800ded163850
      • Note: The kernel flash installs the Magisk Module: magisk-module-skyhigh-v1.9.20180424. If a later module exists below, flash that after flashing the kernel. There is no need to refresh the kernel just to update the modules.
    • SkyHigh Magisk Module v1.9.20180424:
    • Memory leak fixes (no known/reported leaks remain).
    • Updated embedded Magisk to v18.00 and roots the phone therewith.
    • Passes SafetyNet Checks!

Recovery Flashables for based on latest MM kernel sources and firmware (PL3 through QB1) ROMS
    • Dramatic boot up time improvements (impressively fast)..
    • Ramdisk (boot image) will work with PL3 through QB1 Firmware.
    • No need to wipe any partitions, just flash and reboot.
    • NOTE: First boot after flash will take a bit and may reboot for SuperSU updating. Let it breathe . . . subsequent boots are smoking fast.
      • Kernel Full Boot Image (installs entire boot image and utils)

Instructions
    1. Make sure you are running a MM 6.0.1 or N 7.0 (Stock is fine);
    2. Make sure you have TWRP 3.0.1-0 (or higher version) loaded as your customer recovery;
    3. Download the TWRP flashable zip for your specific version of Android and firmware, placing the flash on your phone for subsequent 'Install' in TWRP;
    4. Reboot into TWRP Recovery;
    5. The smart user will perform a backup in TWRP;
    6. Flash the zip'
    7. Reboot System;
    8. Use the Synapse App to configure the many options as you deem desirable, of course pursuant to the DISCLAIMER.
    The first boot will take a while, give it some time. A couple minutes is not unlikely at all, possibly more.

Credits
    • @UpInTheAir - early, initial base Synapse support and kernel optimizations
    • @topjohnwu - root & Magisk app
    • @Chainfire - root & SuperSU app
    • @AndreiLux - years of support for Exynos development and his various kernel features + Synapse app and UCI code
    • @halaszk88 - patches and some Synapse code @UpInTheAir adapted to many of his kernels
    • @dorimanx - BusyBox and various ramdisk tweaks/ideas
    • @apb_axel - @UpInTheAir and @tdhite (for this port) adapted and used many of the Synapse controls
    • @arter97 - various source fixes/patches
    • @ktoonsez - ktoonservative hotplug governor
    • XDA
    • Samsung OSRC
    • and many others!
    • check gitHub source credits
    • Users that provide proper bug reports with an element of self-troubleshooting. Constructive feedback is always welcome.
    • IF ANYONE WAS FORGOTTEN, PLEASE DON'T BE SHY AND SPEAK UP, THANKS

Older Versions are in Post #3 below.

As a final note, the sources are pulled by a Google repo manifest, which is within the "teamspr" project in link listed in the 'Source Link' below. The manifest shows the various github repositories for the project. If you need help with repo, let me know and we will get you setup with the code and how to view it.

XDA:DevDB Information
    SM-G920P SkyHigh Kernel Port, Kernel for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S6

Contributors
    tdhite, @UpInTheAir (for initial base)
    Source Code: https://github.com/TeamSPR

Kernel Special Features: Synapse ++ | EXT4 | F2FS | exFAT | NTFS | CIFS | Linux 3.10.108 | many optimizations and bug reparations | ktoonservative hotplugging governor | Optional SElinux permissive | Deep sleep fix | init.d support | See above for more.

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 7.30 (v1.8.20190119)
    Stable Release Date: 2019-01-19

Created 2016-04-02
    Last Updated 2019-01-21
    All,

A major update is coming in the next few days, assuming all testing goes well. This update adds some security and optimization fixes, also brings the kernel to the latest upstream (v3.10.108) vanilla kernel (the official release). That is about 650 or so new commits, not all come in cleanly because Samsung mucked code in their OSS release and did not properly include any sort of git history, just code dump (terrible OSS community work -- including history is the de facto standard).

The upgrade here delays for just a bit the next TDH-JR update; that will include the kernel, of course.

Hang in, lots coming.

Update for all: base build is running now. Also cleaned up the Samsung releases to produce no warnings on latest compilers.

Soon...

[emoji41]

Hi all,

S6 is not going away yet! I have an update to include Magisk 14, so hang in. I am traveling abroad for the week, but should be able to get things up around the 18th/19th or so.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    I will put up a next beta tomorrow, it is all Magisl now. V12 is quite stable.

Two bugs remain that I can see, both related to SecureStorage. Seems Samsung apps no longer honor disabling it.

Screenshot_20170528-214356.pngScreenshot_20170528-214249.pngScreenshot_20170528-214147.png

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk