• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KERNEL][ROOTED][PIE] Performance Enhanced Overclock Kernel

Search This thread

lenana

Sep 24, 2013
Nairobi
@rootfan

Thanks for 1.5 kernel. Seems to work great on Shield 2017 16gb with 8.0.1 dev pie.
Magisk 20108 is the last working one. Latest 20109 don't work anymore. (No root after reboot) It was the same on 1.4. So I don't think it's a fault of your kernel. Hopefully topjohnwu will fix that soon
I can confirm this issue. Flashing 1.5 over 1.42 breaks root. Magisk modules such as viper4android and youtube vanced install but fail to appear in launchers. At some point I got error that magisk was not installed and had no root. Restoring boot backup didn't work.; I got stuck at nvidia logo. I finally fixed the magisk root issue by flashing kernel version 1.42 first then booting back to recovery again and flashing magisk 20108 (fresh install of kernel only doesn't fix magisk). Other versions of magisk didn't work. Problem must be with the kernel.

Last edited:

rootfan

Jul 20, 2011
@lenana, I've attached a fastboot flashable boot.img to try that should fix the Magisk modules problem. You'll need to install the Magisk Manager app seperately and it has to be the latest canary release. Also, if you've flashed any of my previous releases you'll need to restore the system partition. @Giraff3 and @horqai, let me know if this works for you.

Attachments

• MagiskOC_2019-12-15.zip
    13.2 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Reactions: starmanj and lenana

lenana

Sep 24, 2013
Nairobi
@lenana, I've attached a fastboot flashable boot.img to try that should fix the Magisk modules problem. You'll need to install the Magisk Manager app seperately and it has to be the latest canary release. Also, if you've flashed any of my previous releases you'll need to restore the system partition. @Giraff3 and @horqai, let me know if this works for you.

Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately I don't have a stock system backup (poor judgment on my end). Unless this step can be bypassed I think it is safer for me to stick to 1.42 for the foreseeable future.
EDIT: Decided to try attachment with a fresh system.img flash. It works well now....root is fixed. Thanks!

Last edited:

horqai

Sep 6, 2011

Hi Rootfan, I've tried to flash the original 8.01 dev to start from the beginning.
Flashed twrp and booted in to recovery which worked. Also rebooting out of the recovery to the system worked normaly.
Then I flashed your kernel 1.5 in twrp followed by your boot.img attached.
Unfortunately I still stuck again at the Nvidia logo followed by a reboot.

I also repeated the same steps but this time I flushed your boot .img outside twrp under fastboot - same result :(

At least for the org dev img 8.01 your boot.img seems not to work for me.
Let's see what the others report.
THX

Giraff3

Mar 30, 2011
Hi Rootfan, I've tried to flash the original 8.01 dev to start from the beginning.
Flashed twrp and booted in to recovery which worked. Also rebooting out of the recovery to the system worked normally.

I also repeated the same steps but this time I flushed your boot .img outside twrp under fastboot - same result :(

THX

Got the same result as well.

rootfan

Jul 20, 2011
So you extracted the attached zip and ran fastboot flash boot MagiskOC_2019-12-15.img from a stock system @horqai and @Giraff3? If this is the case and it doesn't work then there's nothing I can do to fix it without logs. @horqai, you said that your device eventually reboots after flashing the kernel. Catch it when it does and boot into twrp. After that, follow the steps in this post to provide a log https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=80774055&postcount=188.

edit:
@horqai, thanks for the log. Here's a new boot.img to try. You do not need to install R1.5 first. Just flash the boot.img in fastboot and make sure you haven't flashed any of my previous stuff including magisk_shieldtv_pie_r2.

Attachments

• MagiskOC_2019-12-18.zip
    13.2 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:

horqai

Sep 6, 2011
So you extracted the attached zip and ran fastboot flash boot MagiskOC_2019-12-15.img from a stock system @horqai and @Giraff3?
Don't know if I understand you correctly.
I did not flash it on a "stock system". I've first flashed the dev image, then in Fastboot I flashed the twrp followed by your 1.5 kernel.
After an unsuccessful reboot attempt with the logo bootloop I've flashed your boot image.
I'm wondering right now if I just need to flash your boot img before the Kernel?
Tried to just flush on a stock dev only your boot img and this ends up in a boot loop too.
If this is the case and it doesn't work then there's nothing I can do to fix it without logs. @horqai, you said that your device eventually reboots after flashing the kernel. Catch it when it does and boot into twrp. After that, follow the steps in this post to provide a log https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=80774055&postcount=188.
Here you go: https://pastebin.com/pCHYZRjf

Last edited:
Reactions: rootfan

horqai

Sep 6, 2011
You shouldn't flash TWRP just use
fastboot boot twrp-image-name.zip

This way TWRP won't be flashed permanently just temporarily until next reboot and you won't get stuck in a bootloop.
I've also tried it without flashing TWRP permanently - same result :(
At the moment I'm rooted (using the Magisk version from this youtube video posted in development) without any issue, including recovery exchanged to TWRP - no bootloops.
Or do you think that this could be the root cause by checking the debug information I've uploaded?

Cheers
Horqai

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
Hi,
Are you planning a kernel update to fix the Magisk modules issue as well?
Thanks!

lenana

Sep 24, 2013
Nairobi
Flashed twrp and booted in to recovery which worked. Also rebooting out of the recovery to the system worked normaly.

THX
Try this: after flashing rootfans boot image also flash system image again via fastboot.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

Got the same result as well.

After flashing rootfans boot.img flash system.img again in fastboot and see if it will go past nvidia logo.

rayholland

Jul 14, 2010
help

Hi all,

Today i received my NVIDIA Shield Pro 500gb (2015 model - second hand) and i would like to root it.
The bootloader is now unlocked (took a long time)

Do i need to sideload Magisk, or can i just flash Rootfans MagiskOC_2019-12-18.img directly (fastboot flashable MagiskOC_2019-12-18.img)?
Or is the IMG file that Rootfan posted here in this thread, especially compiled/build for the 2017, 16GB shield?

Thanks

Update:
I tried fastboot boot MagiskOC_2019-12-18.img (before i want to flash) and the system booted correctly.
my 512GB internal HDD was also mounted correcttly.
And about displayed:

Model Number
P2571

Kernel version
4.9.140-g300a8bfdbd52-dirty

Build
PPR1.180610.011.4086637_1697.8089

BUT, the Root Checker Basic App, displayed: Sorry! Root access is not properly installed on this device
:(
@rootfan, maybe you can help me please?

Update2: Damn, i read this topic again and after installing Magisk Manager, i have root access. Yahoo!
Big thanks to Rootfan!

Regards,
Ray

Last edited:

lenana

Sep 24, 2013
Nairobi
Hi all,

Today i received my NVIDIA Shield Pro 500gb (2015 model - second hand) and i would like to root it.
The bootloader is now unlocked (took a long time)

Do i need to sideload Magisk, or can i just flash Rootfans MagiskOC_2019-12-18.img directly (fastboot flashable MagiskOC_2019-12-18.img)?
Or is the IMG file that Rootfan posted here in this thread, especially compiled/build for the 2017, 16GB shield?

Thanks

Update:
I tried fastboot boot MagiskOC_2019-12-18.img (before i want to flash) and the system booted correctly.
my 512GB internal HDD was also mounted correcttly.
And about displayed:

Model Number
P2571

Kernel version
4.9.140-g300a8bfdbd52-dirty

Build
PPR1.180610.011.4086637_1697.8089

BUT, the Root Checker Basic App, displayed: Sorry! Root access is not properly installed on this device
:(
@rootfan, maybe you can help me please?

Update2: Damn, i read this topic again and after installing Magisk Manager, i have root access. Yahoo!
Big thanks to Rootfan!

Regards,
Ray
The old shield pro with 500gb is a great device. I run rootfan 1.5 and it is flawless. If you haven't you might need to swap hdd for ssd (samsung 860 evo 500gb only https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-Internal-MZ-76E500B-AM/dp/B0781Z7Y3S) because the stock 500gb hdd will slow you down with time. Good thing all you will need to do is clone your old drive to your new one using the hdd raw copy tool from hddguru.com and keep old drive as backup. No need to reinstall stuff after cloning...just proceed to use your device like nothing happened only that it will be insanely faster. With and ssd you will enjoy the speeds of rootfan kernel much better. This is all from my experience

Last edited:

rayholland

Jul 14, 2010
Thank you lenana for your tip. I am planning to swap the drive for a ssd later (i think i also saw you doing a ssd swap on youtube ;)).
BTW: I flashed the MagiskOC_2019-12-18.img boot image and it worked (kept the original system image).
Is this image the latest, or do i need to install/siteload the rootfan_kernel_r1_5.zip with twrp?

Last edited:
Reactions: lenana

lenana

Sep 24, 2013
Nairobi
Thank you lenana for your tip. I am planning to swap the drive for a ssd later (i think i also saw you doing a ssd swap on youtube ;)).
BTW: I flashed the MagiskOC_2019-12-18.img boot image and it worked (kept the original system image).
Is this image the latest, or do i need to install/siteload the rootfan_kernel_r1_5.zip with twrp?
Haha it wasn't me actually but my friend Kelley from Kelley Tech. If I'm correct I think the magisk image is still 1.5 kernel. It was released by rootfan because flashing the original 1.5 over 1.4 caused root issues. 1.5.1 beta should be the latest I believe. But in terms of perfomance all should be the same since 1.4 at least from my testing. I stand corrected:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Seems most if not all shield tv threads are dead.

I'll ask any I'm 8.2.3 can I root and or rom?

I was having a hard time with getting magisk to work on mine, so once I did I wrote up a little tutorial to root on 8.2.3. Basically download boot-magisk23.0.img then flash in fastboot.

fastboot flash boot boot-magisk23.0.img

Root tutorial for 2017 Nvidia Shield 8.2.3
    The latest kernel, R1.5, is for Shield experience 8.0.1. Supported Shield TVs include all 2015 and 2017 models. The 2019 models are not supported. To install, simply flash rootfan_kernel_r1,5.zip using this twrp https://drive.google.com/open?id=1934405D1S0lv52jZMqS-Zny62RIzGWSi. Features include 2.22 GHz CPU overclock, 1.23 GHz GPU overclock, 1866 Mhz RAM overclock, disabled verity, permissive selinux, and completely customizable fan settings. Magisk is also included for root access. All of the settings in this kernel are modifiable using my Shield Tools V1.3 app, so make sure to download that too. Enjoy the kernel and leave any feedback that you may have :)

R1.5.1 Beta Info
    The R1.5.1 beta aims to fix the magisk modules problem and the bootloop issue that effects some 2017 (darcy) Shield TVs. As I don't have a 2017 Shield TV, I can't test this. Let me know if it works and if you're still having problems and want to help then follow the the instructions in this post to provide a debug log https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=80774055&postcount=188.

Note: If you only want root, just install the latest magisk canary release. It works fine on 2015 and 2017 Shield TVs now.
    If you're still using oreo / 7.2.3 then use the original shield tools app and the stuff in this post https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=80110657&postcount=18

Kernel Sources: https://github.com/rootfan/

Standard Disclaimer: You're responsible for what you do to your devices, so don't blame anyone else if something goes wrong :good:
    Changelog:
    R1.1:
    Prerooted with magisk
    Selinux is permissive by default

R1.2:
    GPU Overclock up to 1.23 GHz
    Boot frequencies are default and must be adjusted manually (using my app) to overclock
    Ondemand and interactive governors added. Interactive is default
    (debug feature) Serial console over ttyUSB0
    First release of shield tools, an app to help tune this kernel. Shield Tools does not work with earlier releases

R1.3
    First release for pie
    Fully customizable fan settings
    Shield tools updated to V1.1 with fan controls and changes needed for pie
    Vendor and system verity are disabled
    System as root is removed to support Magisk.

R1.3.1
    Use kernel modules again to fix some bugs such as USB issues.

R1.4 / Shield Tools 1.2.1
    Kernel updated from 4.9.140 to 4.9.162
    1866 MHz RAM Overclock (Improves graphics performance significantly)
    Power throttling added by Nvidia in the pie release has been removed
    RAM control added to Shield Tools
    Shield Tools saves settings and applies them on boot now
    Shield Tools 1.2.1 fixes fan settings for 2017 shields.

R1.5 / Shield Tools 1.3
    Kernel updated with Nvidia's latest rel-32-r7 sources
    Many more selectable RAM frequencies
    RAM voltage is slightly increased at frequencies above 1725 MHz
    New installation method that doesn't modify the system or vendor partitions
    Standby frequency reset issue fixed (actually fixed in Shield Tools 1.2.2)
    Kernel version is 4.9.140 again, but the sdcard bootloop issue is gone
    @SkOrPn, upgrading Magisk should work fine with R1.4. I upgraded directly from Magisk Manager without issue. The problem you had seems to be that Shield Tools was denied root access. If you have any further problems make sure that Shield Tools has been granted root permission in Magisk Manager. @urkelz, I haven't seen the cpu overclock reset when coming out of standby. If it's an issue that others are having I'll look into fixing it.

Magisk Rooted / Overclockable Boot.img
    Below you'll find a fastboot flashable magisk rooted overclock kernel. Extract the zip and fastboot boot the image to see if it works. If all goes well, you can flash it. Hopefully this will make the installation process easier for those that have had problems. You cannot update Magisk when using this version though and you may need to install the Magisk Manager app seperately. Also, as I only have the 2015 shield pro, you'll have to let me know if it works on the other models. @[email protected], go ahead and give this a try. You don't need a mouse for it.
    @dfl and @imoldchen I've been working on an overclock kernel for 8.0. The kernel is basically ready to go, but I want to provide full fan control which will require some additions to the shield tools app. Hopefully I'll be able to get something out soon. @snake218 if you're on full android oreo and not pie, your best bet is to use the zip and twrp provided in this post https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=80110657&postcount=18. The problem is that you need the shield tools app to enable overclocking, and that is designed for android tv so it may not work on the full android that you're using.
    I was under the impression magisk is root and kernal is for overclocking totally separate. I think once I read through the thread again the kernal is for overclocking and it is separate but only works on 7.2.3 guess I totally missed it I swear I've read this thread 10 times now. So root works on 8.0 but kernal only on 7.2.3. Can anyone confirm please.
    Yes, as it says on the main thread.

kernel is part of the boot.img
    So both zip's contains a kernel, one of them has an edited kernel containing overclocks, other one dosnt.
    Both are rooted with magisk.

The one for 7.2.3, is overclocked and rooted.
    The one for 8.0 is rooted.
    Thank you so much for this! The performance increase is amazing on Shield 2015.

For questions regarding Compatibility: Check that the first five digits of your kernel version under System-> Info match with the one you are about to flash (4.9.140-xxxxxxxxx), that should work, I am on Shied TV 8.2.2 .

Widevine (Netflix etc.) is not affected.

Flashing instructions:

1. Boot to fastboot ( adb reboot bootloader )
    2. Unlock bootloader - this will wipe ALL of your data ( fastboot oem unlock )
    3. Reboot and reenable developer options
    4. Boot to twrp ( fastboot boot your/twrp/image.img
    5. Via MTP place the Kernel in the shields /sdcard
    6. With mouse flash the kernel using the gui
    7. Boot the device
    8. Install Shieldtools.apk ( adb install path/to/your/shield-tools.apk
    9. Launch Shield tools and grant root permissions permanently
    10. Tweak your settings
    11. Enjoy your overclocked Shield!

I have maxed out all settings and it is working great, additionally I changed the fan settings for >70°C to max speed, since then I don't get any freezes.

I have tested one game of which I knew performs badly on stock shield settings (Mario Kart WII on luigi circuit) and Dolphin MMJR, on stock Kernel. With all performance enhancing tweaks the max game speed on the first map is 78%, native Wii resolution.
    Using the same conditions with maxed out kernel and performance governor the max game speed goes as high as 92% - when there is not too much action going on on screen! It is definitly playable now though.

On 720p Fps vary around 44 and 47 and the game speed is between 70% and 80%, looks nice, but feels slow.

Sling Shot Extreme Open GL ES 3.1 on 3DMark gives 4438 points and Sling Shot on 3DMark gives 512 points, making it better than 95% than all other shields according to the stats.

Thank you very much for this development.