• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KERNEL]Savagezen's Angler Kernel[Dec 2018][Pie][Oreo][Linaro][Clang][3.10.108]

Search This thread

Lawlrus

Nov 20, 2013
Okay, but it did happen though. You calling me a liar? lol :p only joking :D

What do i use to take logs?

Thanks

Some custom ROMs such as aicp have it built in, kernel monitoring appd can have it. Your computer can do it. Or download matlog or something so.ilar from the play store.

For random reboots you want last k msg's

Nitrooo84

Jul 24, 2011
Is S2W available on Pie builds?

edit: well, it looks like it's not. Will it be added?
Otherwise, is there a custom Pie kernel for Nexus 6p with S2W?

Last edited:

Nitrooo84

Jul 24, 2011
I tried the Pie testing build on the latest StatiXOS ROM. At first it worked fine, then I noticed my phone was not encrypted, so I had to wipe and reinstall the ROM.
Now the phone is FBE-encypted but I tried both builds (statixos and aosip) and my phone gets stuck at the G loading splash screen. ADB doesn't even work.
Stock kernel from the ROM, Franco Kernel, ElementalX Kernel (Oreo), they all work fine.

Lawlrus

Nov 20, 2013
I tried the Pie testing build on the latest StatiXOS ROM. At first it worked fine, then I noticed my phone was not encrypted, so I had to wipe and reinstall the ROM.
Now the phone is FBE-encypted but I tried both builds (statixos and aosip) and my phone gets stuck at the G loading splash screen. ADB doesn't even work.
Stock kernel from the ROM, Franco Kernel, ElementalX Kernel (Oreo), they all work fine.

Elementalx and Franco do NOT work fine with 9.0, you're drunk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the first project I've shared on XDA, though I've maintained it for personal use for a while and posted some prior incarnations on Google+. Hope you enjoy it!

Features:
    • December 2018 security patch
    • open source: kernel, anykernel
    • forked from Franco Kernel
    • merged Linux Stable 3.10.108
    • Compiled with Linaro 4.9 and CopperheadOS's Hardened Clang
    • I/O Schedulers: noop (default), cfq, deadline, fiops, row, zen, maple, sioplus
    • TCP algorithms: Bic, Cubic, Htcp, Hybla, Vegas, veno, Westwood (default), Reno
    • FK Features: disabled verified boot flag for Android Pay (root still breaks), support for FKUpdater performance profiles, support for FKUpdater App (not verified as I don't use the app myself), KCAL tweaks in init script.
    • Reduced wifi wakelocks and wakelock period
    • Removed possible bluetooth memory leak
    • KCAL color control support
    • KCAL brought to Linux guidelines
    • Spectrum Profile Support: dozens of profiles from around the web included in source code
    • Touchboost disabled in spectrum profile
    • Filesystem Support: F2FS, vFAT, EXT4, NTFS
    • MSM hotplug driver (disabled by default, but toggle included in source code)
    • Fingerprint boost from Electron Kernel
    • Wireguard support
    • Power Efficient Workqueues
    • State Notifier
    • Tickless System / Idle
    • Gentle Fair Sleepers
    • Hima hotplug driver (see 2018-09 release notes)
    • Wake Gestures (partial, see 2018-09 release notes)
    • Many security / hardening features from CopperheadOS (see 2018-12 release notes)

Downloads:

Installation:

• Boot to TWRP, backup (boot, system, data)
    • Wipe Dalvik / ART Cache and Cache
    • Flash the kernel.zip
    • Wipe Dalvik / ART Cache and Cache
    • Reboot and enjoy
    • Note: Sometimes rebooting directly from TWRP results in a boot freeze at the Google splash screen. Just power off and boot up again.

Battery Life / Performance Tests:

Spectrum: Battery: Total Drain: 6.8%/h, Sleep Drain: 4.96%/h, 11% SOT, 17.8 Hour Test (tested version - kernel 20180728, battery v1.3 profile)
    Spectrum: Balance: Total Drain: 9.7%/h, Sleep Drain: 6.6%/h, 12% SOT, 19 Hour Test (tested version - kernel 20180728, balance v1.2 profile)
    Older Version: June 2018

PS: I'm on Telegram now too!
    Profile: @savagezen
    Discussion for this kernel: @sz_kernel_angler

Want to stay even more up to date?
    So that everyone knows, development isn't dead, I just haven't had time in recent weeks to work on Pie. It looks like we're done getting Oreo updates; so the Oreo (8.1) version will soon be deprecated once I start working on Pie compatibility. As has been mentioned before, this kernel has not had any official or third party Pie merges. In other words, it is a kernel built for Oreo. Flashing it over a Pie ROM may still work (as some users have stated), but it is to be expected that there are bugs... all and any of which I haven't been able to address yet.
    New Testing Releases: Android Pie, 9.0

Both versions are source-built from their respective upstreams (StatixOS, AOSiP Unofficial) using CopperheadOS's Clang and Linaro 4.9 for compiling. The built kernel images were packaged with my previous (Oreo, 8.1) anykernel settings. Please let me know if any kernel settings are wonky (though they shouldn't have changed from Oreo to Pie) or if one particular version seems to work better than the other -- please be specific with feedback. Whichever seems to work better is the one I'll migrate patches over to from Oreo. There will be no new Oreo updates henceforth.
    I have continued to be super busy, but for those interested here are a few updates:

• Oreo - Some folks complained about lag issues so I reset to the August 2018 release and only added the features to source I for sure wanted. Previously there had been some things patched from other sources that I'm not entirely sure how they work. So, the Oreo source has been retro-patched and has the September and October security patches merged.
    • AnyKernel (Oreo) - There are several ramdisk changes / settings that are note getting applied properly. I haven't gotten to the bottom of this, but I think it's permissions related. Items include (wake gestures, laptop mode, fsync, and backlight dimmer -- I may have missed a couple). Nevertheless, there is a testing .zip available on GitHub.
    • Pie - Once I get things squared away on Oreo I'll work out the kinks on Pie. Really, nothing has been done except merging the StatixOS kernel into mine. I haven't switched to Pie yet myself as I wanted to see the official Oreo updates through to the end. I am not wed to StatixOS either, Lineage is also up to Pie, so I may look at merging / cherry-picking from there as well.
    Changelog:

Bugs:
    • Boot Loop / Freeze on Android 9.0 Oreo.

FAQ:
    • Need Help / Want to Help? Join the my Telegram Channel: @sz_kernel_angler
    • Is this kernel compatible with Android Pie (9.0)? It should work out of the box, however several users have reported boot freezes / loops on Pie. I haven't had a chance to test it fully in Pie and am still on Oreo myself. If you run into issues, try running with SELinux as permissive or reach out on Telegram.