[KERNEL]Savagezen's Angler Kernel[Dec 2018][Pie][Oreo][Linaro][Clang][3.10.108]

Search This thread

darkzeroldr

Oct 10, 2015
The only requirement for this kernel is Oreo 8.1. By default, all of the spectrum profiles used will enable more then 4 cores. However, this can be modified. Read through this thread or see various release notes for details as to how to.

How many cores? What spectrum profile are you using? Battery / Balance use all 4 LITTLEs and 2 bigs; while performance and gaming use 4 LITTLEs and all 4 bigs. Both the hotplug drivers (HIMA and MSM) included in the kernel are disabled by default, they were included by request. Core control is on by default. I'm not sure what you mean by hexacore mode.

0 core stays on and the 4th core is on the rest is on/off, so while in use it turns all the cores on then it I don't do anything 0 and 4 core is on the rest is off. For me I don't use spectrum, I wouldn't know. And hexacore mode on EX kernel it doesn't stick anything, so I'm not sure if they app has any bugs or anything.

nardow

May 25, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
How many cores? What spectrum profile are you using? Battery / Balance use all 4 LITTLEs and 2 bigs; while performance and gaming use 4 LITTLEs and all 4 bigs. Both the hotplug drivers (HIMA and MSM) included in the kernel are disabled by default, they were included by request. Core control is on by default. I'm not sure what you mean by hexacore mode.

the amount of cores varies. I'm not using spectrum. little cores also get shut down. also, this didn't happen with august release.
check these screenshots
bWN3CwC.png
lOBe2hA.png

Last edited:

demanzke

May 27, 2009
That is the hima hotplug at work, you can manually/automatically disable it using ex kernel manager too, the setting is not visible by default though, that would require a different implementation. To access it go to tools then user config (translating from German menu here), then add /system/kernel/hima_hotplug/hima_hotplug_active and set 0 as value to disable it. I would recommend leaving it on though, it works great for me.

Reactions: nardow

nardow

May 25, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
That is the hima hotplug at work, you can manually/automatically disable it using ex kernel manager too, the setting is not visible by default though, that would require a different implementation. To access it go to tools then user config (translating from German menu here), then add /system/kernel/hima_hotplug/hima_hotplug_active and set 0 as value to disable it. I would recommend leaving it on though, it works great for me.

hmm, strange. so hima hotplug is enabled by default?
thank you

savagezen

Dec 2, 2012
Atlanta
rockandcode.ga
@demanzke @nardow

HIMA was enabled in the kernel settings, but when I checked in /system for the settings, they weren't there this time. I'm not sure what's up with the cores if you're not using spectrum. I'm going to reset to the August release and intermittently add features to testing releases, so check GitHub -- I'll include notes in the commit messages. There were some features that I added / cherry-picked that I don't fully understand and may have made things wonky.

Tung Trab

Oct 12, 2018
Thanks! No, development isn't dead. I have just been busy with other things this past month. October will see a security patch and hopefully I can get around to tweaking S2W so it's fully functional.
Haven't used this kernel yet but i will certainly flash your kernel as soon as the October release is available :D

savagezen

Dec 2, 2012
Atlanta
rockandcode.ga
I have continued to be super busy, but for those interested here are a few updates:

• Oreo - Some folks complained about lag issues so I reset to the August 2018 release and only added the features to source I for sure wanted. Previously there had been some things patched from other sources that I'm not entirely sure how they work. So, the Oreo source has been retro-patched and has the September and October security patches merged.
  • AnyKernel (Oreo) - There are several ramdisk changes / settings that are note getting applied properly. I haven't gotten to the bottom of this, but I think it's permissions related. Items include (wake gestures, laptop mode, fsync, and backlight dimmer -- I may have missed a couple). Nevertheless, there is a testing .zip available on GitHub.
  • Pie - Once I get things squared away on Oreo I'll work out the kinks on Pie. Really, nothing has been done except merging the StatixOS kernel into mine. I haven't switched to Pie yet myself as I wanted to see the official Oreo updates through to the end. I am not wed to StatixOS either, Lineage is also up to Pie, so I may look at merging / cherry-picking from there as well.

patsonator

Aug 10, 2014
Yaoundé
Hello. Please What's the antutu score with this kernel?

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

The link to this rom please.

savagezen

Dec 2, 2012
Atlanta
rockandcode.ga
Hello. Please What's the antutu score with this kernel?
I have a huge archive of tests done with various ROMs and kernels, though it's a bit dated at this point -- Google Drive Spreadsheet. I have also discussed and detailed many many benchmarks and performance changes in various posts in the Android section of my blog -- see the posts titled "Benchmarks" or "Release Notes."

The link to this rom please.
There is no ROM. This is a kernel only. It can be used with any ROM you'd like. I typically run the stock ROM, until we stop getting Oreo updates; then I'll move to an unofficial Pie ROM (that's when the kernel will see Pie integration as well).

Hope OP will continue developing this kernel. Been using it quite sometime and love it.
Thanks for the support guys! I've had a lot of stuff going on the past few months, but I assure you development is not dead. The September and October security patches have been added; I know there was a November drop, but it hasn't been added to AOSP yet, when that happens it'll be included as well. I also had to do a battery replacement after the battery on my second 6P died :(. Right now I'm just polishing up a few permission errors with the ramdisk / init settings.

aureljared

May 2, 2013
jared.gq
Thanks for the support guys! I've had a lot of stuff going on the past few months, but I assure you development is not dead. The September and October security patches have been added; I know there was a November drop, but it hasn't been added to AOSP yet, when that happens it'll be included as well. I also had to do a battery replacement after the battery on my second 6P died :(. Right now I'm just polishing up a few permission errors with the ramdisk / init settings.

thanks for doing what you do ?

i've already given my 6P to my mom but your kernel was the best one i've used during my two years with the phone ?

Reactions: oscarmaldonado

deani77

May 15, 2007
I have a huge archive of tests done with various ROMs and kernels, though it's a bit dated at this point -- Google Drive Spreadsheet. I have also discussed and detailed many many benchmarks and performance changes in various posts in the Android section of my blog -- see the posts titled "Benchmarks" or "Release Notes."

There is no ROM. This is a kernel only. It can be used with any ROM you'd like. I typically run the stock ROM, until we stop getting Oreo updates; then I'll move to an unofficial Pie ROM (that's when the kernel will see Pie integration as well).

Support from Google already ended. I guess N6P will depends on custom ROM/kernel now. Mine also already due battery change. Thinking to replace it by end of this year.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the first project I've shared on XDA, though I've maintained it for personal use for a while and posted some prior incarnations on Google+. Hope you enjoy it!

Features:
    • December 2018 security patch
    • open source: kernel, anykernel
    • forked from Franco Kernel
    • merged Linux Stable 3.10.108
    • Compiled with Linaro 4.9 and CopperheadOS's Hardened Clang
    • I/O Schedulers: noop (default), cfq, deadline, fiops, row, zen, maple, sioplus
    • TCP algorithms: Bic, Cubic, Htcp, Hybla, Vegas, veno, Westwood (default), Reno
    • FK Features: disabled verified boot flag for Android Pay (root still breaks), support for FKUpdater performance profiles, support for FKUpdater App (not verified as I don't use the app myself), KCAL tweaks in init script.
    • Reduced wifi wakelocks and wakelock period
    • Removed possible bluetooth memory leak
    • KCAL color control support
    • KCAL brought to Linux guidelines
    • Spectrum Profile Support: dozens of profiles from around the web included in source code
    • Touchboost disabled in spectrum profile
    • Filesystem Support: F2FS, vFAT, EXT4, NTFS
    • MSM hotplug driver (disabled by default, but toggle included in source code)
    • Fingerprint boost from Electron Kernel
    • Wireguard support
    • Power Efficient Workqueues
    • State Notifier
    • Tickless System / Idle
    • Gentle Fair Sleepers
    • Hima hotplug driver (see 2018-09 release notes)
    • Wake Gestures (partial, see 2018-09 release notes)
    • Many security / hardening features from CopperheadOS (see 2018-12 release notes)

Downloads:

Installation:

• Boot to TWRP, backup (boot, system, data)
    • Wipe Dalvik / ART Cache and Cache
    • Flash the kernel.zip
    • Wipe Dalvik / ART Cache and Cache
    • Reboot and enjoy
    • Note: Sometimes rebooting directly from TWRP results in a boot freeze at the Google splash screen. Just power off and boot up again.

Battery Life / Performance Tests:

Spectrum: Battery: Total Drain: 6.8%/h, Sleep Drain: 4.96%/h, 11% SOT, 17.8 Hour Test (tested version - kernel 20180728, battery v1.3 profile)
    Spectrum: Balance: Total Drain: 9.7%/h, Sleep Drain: 6.6%/h, 12% SOT, 19 Hour Test (tested version - kernel 20180728, balance v1.2 profile)
    Older Version: June 2018

PS: I'm on Telegram now too!
    Profile: @savagezen
    Discussion for this kernel: @sz_kernel_angler

Want to stay even more up to date?
    So that everyone knows, development isn't dead, I just haven't had time in recent weeks to work on Pie. It looks like we're done getting Oreo updates; so the Oreo (8.1) version will soon be deprecated once I start working on Pie compatibility. As has been mentioned before, this kernel has not had any official or third party Pie merges. In other words, it is a kernel built for Oreo. Flashing it over a Pie ROM may still work (as some users have stated), but it is to be expected that there are bugs... all and any of which I haven't been able to address yet.
    New Testing Releases: Android Pie, 9.0

Both versions are source-built from their respective upstreams (StatixOS, AOSiP Unofficial) using CopperheadOS's Clang and Linaro 4.9 for compiling. The built kernel images were packaged with my previous (Oreo, 8.1) anykernel settings. Please let me know if any kernel settings are wonky (though they shouldn't have changed from Oreo to Pie) or if one particular version seems to work better than the other -- please be specific with feedback. Whichever seems to work better is the one I'll migrate patches over to from Oreo. There will be no new Oreo updates henceforth.
    I have continued to be super busy, but for those interested here are a few updates:

• Oreo - Some folks complained about lag issues so I reset to the August 2018 release and only added the features to source I for sure wanted. Previously there had been some things patched from other sources that I'm not entirely sure how they work. So, the Oreo source has been retro-patched and has the September and October security patches merged.
    • AnyKernel (Oreo) - There are several ramdisk changes / settings that are note getting applied properly. I haven't gotten to the bottom of this, but I think it's permissions related. Items include (wake gestures, laptop mode, fsync, and backlight dimmer -- I may have missed a couple). Nevertheless, there is a testing .zip available on GitHub.
    • Pie - Once I get things squared away on Oreo I'll work out the kinks on Pie. Really, nothing has been done except merging the StatixOS kernel into mine. I haven't switched to Pie yet myself as I wanted to see the official Oreo updates through to the end. I am not wed to StatixOS either, Lineage is also up to Pie, so I may look at merging / cherry-picking from there as well.
    Changelog:

Bugs:
    • Boot Loop / Freeze on Android 9.0 Oreo.

FAQ:
    • Need Help / Want to Help? Join the my Telegram Channel: @sz_kernel_angler
    • Is this kernel compatible with Android Pie (9.0)? It should work out of the box, however several users have reported boot freezes / loops on Pie. I haven't had a chance to test it fully in Pie and am still on Oreo myself. If you run into issues, try running with SELinux as permissive or reach out on Telegram.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone