[KERNEL]Savagezen's Angler Kernel[Dec 2018][Pie][Oreo][Linaro][Clang][3.10.108]

Search This thread

deani77

May 15, 2007
December 2018 Release:

First and second posts have been updated. The release notes also include features planned for the future. Happy Solstice everyone!

Thanks for the update... Do you still base to Franco kernel? Some user included myself have phone reboot itself problem on latest Franco kernel using pie ROM.

Have my phone reboot itself while idling... Attach file for your

Attachments

• 2018-12-22_17.57.zip
    308.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

savagezen

Thanks for the update... Do you still base to Franco kernel? Some user included myself have phone reboot itself problem on latest Franco kernel using pie ROM.

Have my phone reboot itself while idling... Attach file for your

I originally forked from Franco Kernel, but do not pull updated releases from him, no. I'll make a note in the OP about Pie. Personally I'm still on Oreo and haven't had a chance to test things fully in Pie. It is only from talking with another developer that I came to the conclusion that the kernel should work on both Oreo and Pie, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Thank you for your work. Does this kernel force encrypt?

No, it does not.

Reactions: aybek555

phantom146

Apr 30, 2015
Malabon
I originally forked from Franco Kernel, but do not pull updated releases from him, no. I'll make a note in the OP about Pie. Personally I'm still on Oreo and haven't had a chance to test things fully in Pie. It is only from talking with another developer that I came to the conclusion that the kernel should work on both Oreo and Pie, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

No, it does not.

It does work on Pie but is wonky. I suggest you try to use Statix's kernel as a base instead.
And merry christmas mate!

Reactions: savagezen

dseries60

Sep 10, 2011
TEXAS
Google Pixel 3a XL
Do you, or the dev, know of using this kernel will fix WiFi calling on pie?
Most of the ROMs use staixos source and the WiFi calling dont work on any of them

I am using @winxuser AOSP rom and wifi calling works fine. I am on Google Fi. This ROM doesn't source from statixos source. I switched back to the stock kernel thought due to some random reboots on this kernel.

savagezen

So that everyone knows, development isn't dead, I just haven't had time in recent weeks to work on Pie. It looks like we're done getting Oreo updates; so the Oreo (8.1) version will soon be deprecated once I start working on Pie compatibility. As has been mentioned before, this kernel has not had any official or third party Pie merges. In other words, it is a kernel built for Oreo. Flashing it over a Pie ROM may still work (as some users have stated), but it is to be expected that there are bugs... all and any of which I haven't been able to address yet.

savagezen

New Testing Releases: Android Pie, 9.0

Both versions are source-built from their respective upstreams (StatixOS, AOSiP Unofficial) using CopperheadOS's Clang and Linaro 4.9 for compiling. The built kernel images were packaged with my previous (Oreo, 8.1) anykernel settings. Please let me know if any kernel settings are wonky (though they shouldn't have changed from Oreo to Pie) or if one particular version seems to work better than the other -- please be specific with feedback. Whichever seems to work better is the one I'll migrate patches over to from Oreo. There will be no new Oreo updates henceforth.

Lawlrus

Nov 20, 2013
I know, i used Franco kernel. It really didn't work

Okay, so by work you were asking work well? I read your question as will it boot up, which is why I asked if you knew what any kernel is.

Anyways, there's AFAIK three different versions of kernle source currently floating around. The kernel source stock ROMs have been using, cr droids source which is also used by RR and aosip. And I THINK that aicp uses their own.

So if you want to be safe your best bet would be to use the kernel that is based on the stock sources. Since that's the ROM you're running.

Edit: but because of anykernel both SHOULD be able to boot on any of them. But I might be wrong, and I haven't tested both. I'm going to try one for a few days before I try the other.

Last edited:

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P

Both versions are source-built from their respective upstreams (StatixOS, AOSiP Unofficial) using CopperheadOS's Clang and Linaro 4.9 for compiling. The built kernel images were packaged with my previous (Oreo, 8.1) anykernel settings. Please let me know if any kernel settings are wonky (though they shouldn't have changed from Oreo to Pie) or if one particular version seems to work better than the other -- please be specific with feedback. Whichever seems to work better is the one I'll migrate patches over to from Oreo. There will be no new Oreo updates henceforth.

I'm running the latest Official AICP 9.0 rom.

I've been running the StatixOS-based kernel for about 1/2 day and things seem good. The only difference I've noticed so far from the stock AICP kernel is that the StatixOS-based one seems to run a little hotter. But I'll have to run the kernel a little longer and keep an eye on that to be sure. Other than that, no major problems and no random reboots.

As for your AOSiP-based kernel, I haven't run that yet so can't give feedback at the moment. However, I have run the Official RR 9.0 rom and the unofficial AOSiP 9.0 rom (the kernel in RR is based on the AOSiP kernel. Same developer/maintainer), and have noticed that the little cores are stuck at 1555 MHz on both roms/kernels. I've also seen other people report the same thing on both of these roms. The phone heats up quite a bit due to this.
I'm not sure about the big cores as the phone I ran them on has the BLOD so the big cores are disabled.

So it might be good for people running the AOSiP-based kernel to see if they experience the same thing.

Thanks for updating your kernel to Pie, by the way :good:

Edit: After being on the StatixOS-based kernel a little longer, I don't think its running a little hotter than the stock kernel in AICP.

Last edited:
Reactions: savagezen

phantom146

Apr 30, 2015
Malabon
Running Statix Official January FBE
@savagezen can't seem to boot my angler with both zips. Can't access logs because I just nuked my phone now. Hope somebody can provide logs for you if they've met with the same fate as mine.

deani77

May 15, 2007

Just flash your Statix-OS base kernel on top aicp ROM. So far no problem.... Will report back if there is any problem.

Thanks for sharing your work

Last edited:

MeHR@N

Jun 5, 2012
I installed pie-testing-statixos over StatixOS and after that installed BLOD patch but it stayed on boot screen and didn't boot after 15 min that I was waiting.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the first project I've shared on XDA, though I've maintained it for personal use for a while and posted some prior incarnations on Google+. Hope you enjoy it!

Features:
    • December 2018 security patch
    • open source: kernel, anykernel
    • forked from Franco Kernel
    • merged Linux Stable 3.10.108
    • Compiled with Linaro 4.9 and CopperheadOS's Hardened Clang
    • I/O Schedulers: noop (default), cfq, deadline, fiops, row, zen, maple, sioplus
    • TCP algorithms: Bic, Cubic, Htcp, Hybla, Vegas, veno, Westwood (default), Reno
    • FK Features: disabled verified boot flag for Android Pay (root still breaks), support for FKUpdater performance profiles, support for FKUpdater App (not verified as I don't use the app myself), KCAL tweaks in init script.
    • Reduced wifi wakelocks and wakelock period
    • Removed possible bluetooth memory leak
    • KCAL color control support
    • KCAL brought to Linux guidelines
    • Spectrum Profile Support: dozens of profiles from around the web included in source code
    • Touchboost disabled in spectrum profile
    • Filesystem Support: F2FS, vFAT, EXT4, NTFS
    • MSM hotplug driver (disabled by default, but toggle included in source code)
    • Fingerprint boost from Electron Kernel
    • Wireguard support
    • Power Efficient Workqueues
    • State Notifier
    • Tickless System / Idle
    • Gentle Fair Sleepers
    • Hima hotplug driver (see 2018-09 release notes)
    • Wake Gestures (partial, see 2018-09 release notes)
    • Many security / hardening features from CopperheadOS (see 2018-12 release notes)

Downloads:

Installation:

• Boot to TWRP, backup (boot, system, data)
    • Wipe Dalvik / ART Cache and Cache
    • Flash the kernel.zip
    • Wipe Dalvik / ART Cache and Cache
    • Reboot and enjoy
    • Note: Sometimes rebooting directly from TWRP results in a boot freeze at the Google splash screen. Just power off and boot up again.

Battery Life / Performance Tests:

Spectrum: Battery: Total Drain: 6.8%/h, Sleep Drain: 4.96%/h, 11% SOT, 17.8 Hour Test (tested version - kernel 20180728, battery v1.3 profile)
    Spectrum: Balance: Total Drain: 9.7%/h, Sleep Drain: 6.6%/h, 12% SOT, 19 Hour Test (tested version - kernel 20180728, balance v1.2 profile)
    Older Version: June 2018

PS: I'm on Telegram now too!
    Profile: @savagezen
    Discussion for this kernel: @sz_kernel_angler

Want to stay even more up to date?
    So that everyone knows, development isn't dead, I just haven't had time in recent weeks to work on Pie. It looks like we're done getting Oreo updates; so the Oreo (8.1) version will soon be deprecated once I start working on Pie compatibility. As has been mentioned before, this kernel has not had any official or third party Pie merges. In other words, it is a kernel built for Oreo. Flashing it over a Pie ROM may still work (as some users have stated), but it is to be expected that there are bugs... all and any of which I haven't been able to address yet.

I have continued to be super busy, but for those interested here are a few updates:

• Oreo - Some folks complained about lag issues so I reset to the August 2018 release and only added the features to source I for sure wanted. Previously there had been some things patched from other sources that I'm not entirely sure how they work. So, the Oreo source has been retro-patched and has the September and October security patches merged.
    • AnyKernel (Oreo) - There are several ramdisk changes / settings that are note getting applied properly. I haven't gotten to the bottom of this, but I think it's permissions related. Items include (wake gestures, laptop mode, fsync, and backlight dimmer -- I may have missed a couple). Nevertheless, there is a testing .zip available on GitHub.
    • Pie - Once I get things squared away on Oreo I'll work out the kinks on Pie. Really, nothing has been done except merging the StatixOS kernel into mine. I haven't switched to Pie yet myself as I wanted to see the official Oreo updates through to the end. I am not wed to StatixOS either, Lineage is also up to Pie, so I may look at merging / cherry-picking from there as well.
    Changelog:

Bugs:
    • Boot Loop / Freeze on Android 9.0 Oreo.

FAQ:
    • Need Help / Want to Help? Join the my Telegram Channel: @sz_kernel_angler
    • Is this kernel compatible with Android Pie (9.0)? It should work out of the box, however several users have reported boot freezes / loops on Pie. I haven't had a chance to test it fully in Pie and am still on Oreo myself. If you run into issues, try running with SELinux as permissive or reach out on Telegram.