[KERNEL] Semi-Stock Kernel for Galaxy S8 and S8+ (Snapdragon)

Search This thread

Cameron581

Mar 28, 2013
Where is your device tree? Im fighting a crashy ril and audio card not wanting to be brought up but external codecs are seen on C9 maybe ill take a break from C9 and look at S8+ G9550.
GitHub.com/samsung-msm8998

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Good start, device.mk needs to be filled out and your vendor tree do all those files pull when you run the extract script? Camera needs chromatix and a lot more files. Config files are missing for sensors and what not. You could probably use ril-caf to bring up ril. Just what I noticed at first glance.
Yeah kinda left out camera and RIL just for times sake. Just kinda got burned out for a little while using all my free time towards it but I'ma start up here again soon. I highly recommend the device I love mine just need to be careful with what bootloader you flash because HK bootloader will randomly FRP lock you at like any moment and make you reset while open CHN wont.

travis82

Jan 8, 2011
Marysville, Washington
Sounds like a config issue in kernel or a .prop file. Also did you run crom.apk to unlock the bootloader? China Asia models you gotta do it. Search it on galaxy apps store and you can download it. HK FW and BL should never just random frp you out. I've had S7 Edge C9 Pro and even used a note 8 here and never ever had this happen on TGY firmwares. Your device tree is looking decent but may I suggest you check out other msm8998 devices and you can base your tree off of them for the most part. Ramdisk might give you a bit of trouble and dont forget to add in a logcat entry to post-data-fs and run logcat as a service in case when you build an ENG build you cant get access to adb. Or in MSM8998.mk you can add this in if you dont wanna add it in ramdisk

ifeq ($(TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT),eng)
# Disable ADB authentication
ADDITIONAL_DEFAULT_PROPERTIES += ro.adb.secure=0
endif

should help you out a bit. Hope you get it booting soon might persuade me to go get one :) Also make sure your fstab is right and that you remove the selinux lables on firmware and firmware-modem after you add in androidboot.selinux=permissive to the end of BOARD_KERNEL_CMDLINE or it will not load the partitions with selinux permissive.

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Here are c9's ril files should be almost the same for s8+
# Radio
bin/netmgrd
bin/qmuxd
bin/radish
bin/rmt_storage
bin/tftp_server
bin/rild
etc/data/dsi_config.xml
etc/data/netmgr_config.xml
etc/data/qmi_config.xml
lib/libprotobuf-cpp-full.so
lib/libprotobuf-cpp-lite.so
lib/libril.so
lib/libreference-ril.so
lib/librmnetctl.so
lib/libsecnativefeature.so
lib/libsec-ril.so
lib/libsec-ril-dsds.so
lib/libsecril-client.so
lib/librilutils.so
lib64/libprotobuf-cpp-full.so
lib64/libprotobuf-cpp-lite.so
lib64/libreference-ril.so
lib64/libril.so
lib64/libsecnativefeature.so
lib64/libsec-ril.so
lib64/libsec-ril-dsds.so
lib64/libsecril-client.so
lib64/librilutils.so
lib64/librmnetctl.so
vendor/bin/qti
vendor/lib/libconfigdb.so
vendor/lib/libmdmdetect.so
vendor/lib/libnetmgr.so
vendor/lib/libril-qcril-hook-oem.so
vendor/lib/libxml.so
vendor/lib64/libconfigdb.so
vendor/lib64/libmdmdetect.so
vendor/lib64/libnetmgr.so
vendor/lib64/libqcmaputils.so
vendor/lib64/libril-qcril-hook-oem.so
vendor/lib64/libxml.so

But I suggest you try caf first. Some are not ril files I know I just never got around to making it pretty yet.

Also this discussion should be moved to a new thread so we dont mess up Jesecs thread kind of rude of us isn't it?

Last edited:

Cameron581

Mar 28, 2013
Sounds like a config issue in kernel or a .prop file. Also did you run crom.apk to unlock the bootloader? China Asia models you gotta do it. Search it on galaxy apps store and you can download it. HK FW and BL should never just random frp you out. I've had S7 Edge C9 Pro and even used a note 8 here and never ever had this happen on TGY firmwares. Your device tree is looking decent but may I suggest you check out other msm8998 devices and you can base your tree off of them for the most part. Ramdisk might give you a bit of trouble and dont forget to add in a logcat entry to post-data-fs and run logcat as a service in case when you build an ENG build you cant get access to adb. Or in MSM8998.mk you can add this in if you dont wanna add it in ramdisk

ifeq ($(TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT),eng)
# Disable ADB authentication
ADDITIONAL_DEFAULT_PROPERTIES += ro.adb.secure=0
endif

should help you out a bit. Hope you get it booting soon might persuade me to go get one :) Also make sure your fstab is right and that you remove the selinux lables on firmware and firmware-modem after you add in androidboot.selinux=permissive to the end of BOARD_KERNEL_CMDLINE or it will not load the partitions with selinux permissive.

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Here are c9's ril files should be almost the same for s8+
# Radio
bin/netmgrd
bin/qmuxd
bin/radish
bin/rmt_storage
bin/tftp_server
bin/rild
etc/data/dsi_config.xml
etc/data/netmgr_config.xml
etc/data/qmi_config.xml
lib/libprotobuf-cpp-full.so
lib/libprotobuf-cpp-lite.so
lib/libril.so
lib/libreference-ril.so
lib/librmnetctl.so
lib/libsecnativefeature.so
lib/libsec-ril.so
lib/libsec-ril-dsds.so
lib/libsecril-client.so
lib/librilutils.so
lib64/libprotobuf-cpp-full.so
lib64/libprotobuf-cpp-lite.so
lib64/libreference-ril.so
lib64/libril.so
lib64/libsecnativefeature.so
lib64/libsec-ril.so
lib64/libsec-ril-dsds.so
lib64/libsecril-client.so
lib64/librilutils.so
lib64/librmnetctl.so
vendor/bin/qti
vendor/lib/libconfigdb.so
vendor/lib/libmdmdetect.so
vendor/lib/libnetmgr.so
vendor/lib/libril-qcril-hook-oem.so
vendor/lib/libxml.so
vendor/lib64/libconfigdb.so
vendor/lib64/libmdmdetect.so
vendor/lib64/libnetmgr.so
vendor/lib64/libqcmaputils.so
vendor/lib64/libril-qcril-hook-oem.so
vendor/lib64/libxml.so

But I suggest you try caf first. Some are not ril files I know I just never got around to making it pretty yet.

Also this discussion should be moved to a new thread so we dont mess up Jesecs thread kind of rude of us isn't it?
Jesec disappeared months ago, the thread should actually be closed just been too lazy to call a mod because the g9550 kernel listed soft bricks the device.

newtamax

Jun 29, 2011
I didn't get this problem...
Did you do a 'fresh' flash? (backup data - clear all data - flash - restore)
maybe some of your files still remain in some hidden places.
I solved the problem. When I flash stock rom for the first time, I get a DM error, I search google for a answer, someone say I can only flash bl and ap leave csc etc blank, I do it so I get the 16G error. Then I go into TWRP clean all data, solve the probelm. Thank you and sorry for my poor English.:laugh:

xdauser'17

Jun 27, 2017

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Semi-Stock Kernel
    for Galaxy S8 and S8+ (Snapdragon)

LICENSE:
    Kernel sources:
    GPL 2.0: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html

Kernel binaries, patches to system, ramdisk modifications, etc.:
    Code:
    You can use, mirror, modify and/or integrate it/them with your own works, WITHOUT inform me, subject to the following conditions:
    1. Credit MUST be given. (a possible form: thanks *** for ***)
    2. Warranty is NOT provided. I am not responsible for any possible losses. 
    3. Authorization may be TERMINATED for selected person without prior notice under certain conditions (subject to my sole discretion). 
    4. Above conditions must be preserved. (You have the responsibilities to inform your users about these conditions. A possible way is to add "LICENSE: (link to this post)" to "thanks *** for ***")

Features:
    • Kernel Security Features, Root Restrictions are DISABLED
    • Versioning: RELEASE x

Download:
    RELEASE 1:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=961840155545582162

NOTE:
    1. You need to flash root package (Magisk or SuperSU) AFTER flash kernel if you want root access.

Show your appreciation:
    Click Thanks!, Rate 5-star or/and Donate to me. ;)

Get informed about news and updates:
    Join Official Telegram Channel

XDA:DevDB Information
    Jesse's Kernel for Galaxy S8 and S8+ (Snapdragon), Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S8

Contributors
    jesec
    Source Code: https://github.com/jesec/android_kernel_samsung_msm8998

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2017-07-16
    Last Updated 2017-07-16
    173992641623209104%253Faccount_id%253D0

So franken kernel is alive atm I also got magisk running :) gotta package it up and fix it on a source level but if you wanted a super jankety version i can have on up :)
    oK first time I didnt so I redid all the steps and installed your image to boot.
    phone boots but when you restart it manually it shows secutity Error screen and the phone does not start.

I will need to use Odin again.
    Let it sit at that Seandroid error it will boot eventually
    Anybody onboard to take part of a bounty to have a working kernel for S8+ 128Gb HK? Seems like Jesec is not around anymore and I am definitely willing to pay to have magisk working on my S8+
    Add me for 20. I think we won't be long to reach a decent sum (for "just" a kernel)
    Just got the device, the reason that the kernel wont boot is due to a partitioning issue with the fstab. When my device arrives i should hopefully begin working on a kernel :) stay tuned!