[KERNEL] [SHIFT][AOSP][LOLLIPOP]

Search This thread

rogersb11

Nov 18, 2013
Indianapolis
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Shift Lollipop Kernel

This kernel supports only Lollipop AOSP. Should support all roms but not sure about Slim, if it doesn't work for a ROM please upload the boot.img from the ROM and post it here and I will see about adding support. Basically this kernel was developed only for CyanideL ROM but has progressed into a decent standalone kernel from reports as I do not own this device, so I thought I would just go ahead and share it so it was known and people could use it for other Lollipop Roms since I keep the source updated for the ROM I figured a kernel with some features and up to date source would be worth posting. Hopefully you all enjoy it

CPU GOVERNORS: smartass, smartassV2, ondemand, powersave, interactiveX, performance, userspace, zzmoove, wheatley and nightmare
I/O GOVERNORS: noop, deadline, cfq, row, sio
default cpu governor: InteractiveX
default I/O governor: row
F2FS/EXT4
OverClock to 1881
CPU Voltage Control
GPU Step Control
Advanced TCP Controls
Faux Sound Mod
Quick Charge

Compiled with Linaro GCC 4.9.1

Install Instructions: Standard flash in recovery, wiping caches in recommended but usual shouldn't be required

Current version is 3.0

Downloads: Shift Kernel

Thank you and enjoy!!

If you like our work, then maybe you would like to give a small donation or buy me a beer. You know you want to lol :victory:

Donate to @rogersb11

Thank you and ENJOY!!!!!

XDA:DevDB Information
Shift Kernel, Kernel for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III

Contributors
rogersb11
Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.0
Stable Release Date: 2015-02-19

Created 2015-02-20
Last Updated 2015-02-19

manfromgta

Feb 5, 2012
GTA
Hey rogersb11. I just installed on my sgh-i747m. Running an alpha self built pacman ROM. I will test it out today and report back results. Thanks for all your contributions in the Dev world. Cheers!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Reactions: rogersb11

jason2678

Jul 1, 2014
St. Paul
exfat?

Thanks! This kernel has been working great on Cyanide L.

Quick question, does it have exfat support built in?

jason2678

Jul 1, 2014
St. Paul
Thanks. I have a microsd that may be of dubious quality. It works best as exfat. I've found I have to be really cautious with it. I'm pretty sure I didn't try it with cyanide.

Doesn't seem to support exfat, but it's nice and smooth on the official Slim weekly.

Last edited:

Johnnyy9262

Apr 21, 2013
dafuq?
Loving your kernel, hey I am wondering about f2fs, is it new? I tried formating my system and data to f2fs flashed shift v2.2 and didn't boot I tried this on cyanide L and I am a currently on it (ext4), if there are different steps I need to take please let me know other wise I am loving v3!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gvsukids

Apr 15, 2011
michigan
Loving your kernel, hey I am wondering about f2fs, is it new? I tried formating my system and data to f2fs flashed shift v2.2 and didn't boot I tried this on cyanide L and I am a currently on it (ext4), if there are different steps I need to take please let me know other wise I am loving v3!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

You need the kernel changer from the f2fs thread to allow ROM to boot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Free mobile app

rogersb11

Nov 18, 2013
Indianapolis
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Reactions: Johnnyy9262

pixbuf

Oct 29, 2010
Saitama
Shift 3.0 bootloops on CyanideL

I've been running CyanideL with the Shift kernel for a couple of months with no problems. The latest version (20150220) bootloops on me, though. I tried a dirty flash, then factory reset but either way it shows the Samsung flash screen, buzzes and then back. I tried flashing Shift 3.0 separately after this happened, as suggested by @TheGeekyNimrod, but that produced the same result. But then I flashed Shift 2.2 D2 over CyanideL-20150220, and now it's booting fine.
I tried to take a logcat while it was booting with adb logcat>logfile but I got the message -waiting for device- and nothing more. The logifle was empty. Is there another way to take a boottime logcat? My recovery is TWRP 2.8.4.0.
Thanks, @rogersb11, for all your work on this.

rogersb11

Nov 18, 2013
Indianapolis
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I've been running CyanideL with the Shift kernel for a couple of months with no problems. The latest version (20150220) bootloops on me, though. I tried a dirty flash, then factory reset but either way it shows the Samsung flash screen, buzzes and then back. I tried flashing Shift 3.0 separately after this happened, as suggested by @TheGeekyNimrod, but that produced the same result. But then I flashed Shift 2.2 D2 over CyanideL-20150220, and now it's booting fine.
I tried to take a logcat while it was booting with adb logcat>logfile but I got the message -waiting for device- and nothing more. The logifle was empty. Is there another way to take a boottime logcat? My recovery is TWRP 2.8.4.0.
Thanks, @rogersb11, for all your work on this.

Yea this seems to be a very random issue. Geeky himself has this on a previous kernel I gave him. After failed boot you can boot straight to recovery and pull the last_kmsg. I can't remember exactly the command but a quick search will tell you. That's the kernel log

pixbuf

Oct 29, 2010
Saitama
Yea this seems to be a very random issue. Geeky himself has this on a previous kernel I gave him. After failed boot you can boot straight to recovery and pull the last_kmsg. I can't remember exactly the command but a quick search will tell you. That's the kernel log

I tried this but there was no last_kmsg. I did get one from a successful boot with the 2.2-D2 kernel; that one said "no errors" at the bottom. But I guess it doesn't get far enough to even create the kmsg file with the 3.0 kernel. :( The last time I tried it stayed on the Samsung flash screen with the LED pulsing blue for about 10 minutes before I pulled the battery.

rogersb11

Nov 18, 2013
Indianapolis
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I tried this but there was no last_kmsg. I did get one from a successful boot with the 2.2-D2 kernel; that one said "no errors" at the bottom. But I guess it doesn't get far enough to even create the kmsg file with the 3.0 kernel. :( The last time I tried it stayed on the Samsung flash screen with the LED pulsing blue for about 10 minutes before I pulled the battery.

If it stays on the Samsung screen very long at all then it's just not gonna boot. Well that's unfortunate man, 3.0 is a massive improvement. Not sure how to help you since almost all haven't had this issue. Maybe next build will work for you. Not sure what else I will add but I'm sure I'll find something. Anybody have any requests?

JDC2389

Apr 3, 2011
If it stays on the Samsung screen very long at all then it's just not gonna boot. Well that's unfortunate man, 3.0 is a massive improvement. Not sure how to help you since almost all haven't had this issue. Maybe next build will work for you. Not sure what else I will add but I'm sure I'll find something. Anybody have any requests?
You're awesome, I know I'll be happy when a new build comes out that works. Fiops please, and I don't know if f2fs support for sdcard would work but that seems like the best file format for an sdcard to me. :good:

rogersb11

Nov 18, 2013
Indianapolis
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
You're awesome, I know I'll be happy when a new build comes out that works. Fiops please, and I don't know if f2fs support for sdcard would work but that seems like the best file format for an sdcard to me. :good:

I'll look into fiops. F2fs should work on an sdcard. Kernel supports f2fs cache and data so internal and external should work that way

JDC2389

Apr 3, 2011
Cool stuff, I flashed the newest twrp recovery and latest modem/baseband NJ1 using Exodus rom from team Vanir http://www.vanir-exodus.net/exodus/d2att/ shift kernel 2.2 works sortof, zzmoove hardlocks the phone and xposed alpha won't work[works on exo kernel]. 3.0 is broken for me still on a clean flash the splash loads this time then after a bit the screen goes black, oddly enough touching the power button causes a vibrate but other then that phone won't wake. Phone is unresponsive from pc side using adb logcat etc when on 3.0 so I don't know how I would report any bugs.

Last edited:
Reactions: rootmaster96

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Shift Lollipop Kernel

This kernel supports only Lollipop AOSP. Should support all roms but not sure about Slim, if it doesn't work for a ROM please upload the boot.img from the ROM and post it here and I will see about adding support. Basically this kernel was developed only for CyanideL ROM but has progressed into a decent standalone kernel from reports as I do not own this device, so I thought I would just go ahead and share it so it was known and people could use it for other Lollipop Roms since I keep the source updated for the ROM I figured a kernel with some features and up to date source would be worth posting. Hopefully you all enjoy it

CPU GOVERNORS: smartass, smartassV2, ondemand, powersave, interactiveX, performance, userspace, zzmoove, wheatley and nightmare
    I/O GOVERNORS: noop, deadline, cfq, row, sio
    default cpu governor: InteractiveX
    default I/O governor: row
    F2FS/EXT4
    OverClock to 1881
    CPU Voltage Control
    GPU Step Control
    Advanced TCP Controls
    Faux Sound Mod
    Quick Charge

Compiled with Linaro GCC 4.9.1

Install Instructions: Standard flash in recovery, wiping caches in recommended but usual shouldn't be required

Current version is 3.0

Downloads: Shift Kernel

Thank you and enjoy!!

If you like our work, then maybe you would like to give a small donation or buy me a beer. You know you want to lol :victory:

Donate to @rogersb11

Thank you and ENJOY!!!!!

XDA:DevDB Information
    Shift Kernel, Kernel for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III

Contributors
    rogersb11
    Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.0
    Stable Release Date: 2015-02-19

Created 2015-02-20
    Last Updated 2015-02-19
    Well I've got it running on cyanide, that's only thing I'll test on lol. I'm going to remove the OC since some seem to have trouble with it and then hopefully tonight I'll have time to setup the any kernel installer, test and upload. Fully merged and up to date with cm again as well so camera issues won't exist either
    Any interest in me making this work again? I have a d2 to play with for two weeks so let me know if so. If not I'm going to close this I think
    Hello I was wondering does this work with android 5.1

Not yet. I have updated the kernel but have not built shift. Geeky will be building tomorrow I think with it inline and if it works then I will build it with the new linaro 4.9.3 I'm using now
    3.0 running great on Oct-L. Awesome work!