[Kernel] SMF-KERNEL - RR/AICP/LOS/AOSP - 8.1

Search This thread

jimbo77

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Hello!

I want to introduce my first custom kernel for the Essential PH-1. This is based of several sources, I cherry-picked commits to make improvements to the stock LOS kernel. I'm not a developer, but i really like to port stuff over :).

Kernel is suitable for AOSP based ROMS such as RR/AICP/CARBON/LOS etc... If you want to request for specific features, let me know and i'll do my best to bring them over.

Special Features:

• Updated to lastest LOS Stock Kernel
  • Added a few governors like: cultivation / impulse
  • added a few IO Schedulers: Maple
  • Kcal Color Control driver
  • USB Fast Charge - pending will be added in R2
  • SafetyNet Patch (Bypass bootloader unlocked check)
  • Dynamic Fsync control
  • a little Overclock - will be added in R2
  • Motorola Quickwake - Will be added in R2
  • and manny other small fixes (you can check the commits in the sources)

Download

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you use this and brick your device or if your device blows up, implodes, flames start shooting from it or it kills your neighbor's dog. Flash at your own risk. I am not responsible.... It was the other guy... I swear....

Latest Release: SMF-Kernel R2

Known issues:

• 05.17.2018 - CPU Freq don't always stick, known issue caused by other drivers. Phone will eventually set your frequencies, dont' panic.

Installation:

• Obviouly you have a Unlocked Bootloader since you're running a custom rom (make sure to never lock your bootloader in this state)
  • Boot into Bootloader (adb reboot Bootloader)
  • If you want to root flash the "Magisk" version of the kernel, it's been prerooted with the latest Magisk Beta available.
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot SMF-Kernel-R1-Magisk.img
    reboot
  • If you want to manually root, first flash twrp, then from twrp flash the 'non magisk' version and after that flash the magisk zip.

Special Thanks to:
jcadduono
franciscofranco
bedalus
lord_boeffla
flar2
sultanxda
...and many others from whom i cherry pick commits... Sorry if I forgot to mention anyone!

XDA:DevDB Information
SMF-KERNEL, Kernel for the Essential Phone

Contributors
jimbo77
Source Code: https://github.com/Jimbo77/android_kernel_essential_msm8998

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
Current Stable Version: R1
Stable Release Date: 2018-05-17

Created 2018-05-17
Last Updated 2018-05-17

Last edited:

jimbo77

Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Changelog 05.23.2018
  • Enabled Motorola QuickWake Driver - This will enable system to do checks or syncs without fully resuming the device, main objective is battery life.
  • Enabled Dynamic Sync Control by default
  • OverClock
  • USB Fast Charge to up 900ma (Original is 500ma)
  • Disabled Gentle Fair Sleepers
  • Enabled Boefla Wakelocks - Check the ammount of wakelocks you can block now!
  • Enabled Wireguard
  • Enabled several TCP Options - "Westwood" is enabled by default
  • Min/Max Brightness options is now configurable as well, to avoid the screen go too dim or to bright.
  • Somehow camera has been fixed! haha

Changelogs 05.17.218
  • Dynamic Fsync control

Last edited:

Obamaloominaty

Mar 31, 2017
Looks awesome! I'll give it a try soon!
(For anyone wondering about overclocking the CPU, he committed some changes to the github that would apply this and it should appear in the next revision of the kernel.)

pantherking

Feb 23, 2016
Charlotte
Good stuff, thanks for this! Could you tell me a little more about cultivation? I can't seem to find much information online about it

Also a request, if possible vibration level control would be super appreciated

jimbo77

Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Good stuff, thanks for this! Could you tell me a little more about cultivation? I can't seem to find much information online about it

Also a request, if possible vibration level control would be super appreciated

I found Cultivation to be really great in terms of perfornance. It's a little bit agressive with the CPU so you get buttery smooth experience with Screen On but it may cost a few % on battery at the end of the day. The good thing is that it has specific tunables and you can set a low cpu freq for when the screen is off.

Specific details from its developer:

-based off of caf 4.4 commits
-uses per-pcu timers
-use state_notifier for screen off timer
option to set different timer rate when screen off
-improrted fastlane with threshold from blu_active

In regards of vibration control. It should be there. I'm using EX Kernel Manager and i can see the vibration option under "Miscellaneous"

Reactions: crixley

pantherking

Feb 23, 2016
Charlotte
In regards of vibration control. It should be there. I'm using EX Kernel Manager and i can see the vibration option under "Miscellaneous"

Thanks for the info on cultivation, I don't mind trading some battery life for butter so I'm using it now :)

For the vibration control, it doesn't actually work/stick. I've tried kernel auditor and EX Kernel Manager. To be fair, so far it has only worked on LOS and I think invisiblek may have rewritten the stock controller or something so no worries if it isn't a high priority haha

jimbo77

Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Thanks for the info on cultivation, I don't mind trading some battery life for butter so I'm using it now :)

For the vibration control, it doesn't actually work/stick. I've tried kernel auditor and EX Kernel Manager. To be fair, so far it has only worked on LOS and I think invisiblek may have rewritten the stock controller or something so no worries if it isn't a high priority haha

I'll take a look at the latest commits but I've used the latest los kernel base so I'm not sure why is not sticking maybe it needs rom support too (not sure honestly) hahaha

I've been testing R2 since yesterday. Will update after y he weekend! :D

stompysan

Feb 1, 2011
Just out of curiosity, was anything involving the camera done to this kernel? I am now able to record videos without the bug, on any of the affected ROMs, with this kernel.

stompysan

Feb 1, 2011
Nothing related to camera. Are you sure it works with no issues?

What roms have you tested?

So far, AICP and LOS, both with Essential camera app and GCAM port, HD and 4K, 30 and 60 fps where applicable. Issues presented before flashing very consistently, and so far I have been unable to replicate after flashing this kernel.

jimbo77

Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
So far, AICP and LOS, both with Essential camera app and GCAM port, HD and 4K, 30 and 60 fps where applicable. Issues presented before flashing very consistently, and so far I have been unable to replicate after flashing this kernel.

Sp you were right. Honestly don't know what happened but I installed the latest RR (clean install) put R2 on top of it and bam recording works as you mentioned lol..

I guess it was a lucky strike!

jimbo77

Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
after flashing the kernel with magisk, stuck on "AICP is starting"
is this normal?

update: the phone works but no magisk (pre root) after flashing the kernel.....
Hey!

Have you booted once and setup everything before flashing the prerooted image?

I've had that error but having all set and then flashing the image will get me rooted. Try to see if you can find magisk manager in the apps list from the settings if you do, reboot and there will be magisk

sinkoo1979

Oct 29, 2016
Yigo
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G3
Hey!

Have you booted once and setup everything before flashing the prerooted image?

I've had that error but having all set and then flashing the image will get me rooted. Try to see if you can find magisk manager in the apps list from the settings if you do, reboot and there will be magisk

Thank you for the reply.
the phone was running AICP and I wanted root so I flash the kernel. I can't find the magisk manager or in the settings about magisk. I guess you have to clean install from the beginning to get the root. Thank you for the Kernel

jimbo77

Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Thank you for the reply.
the phone was running AICP and I wanted root so I flash the kernel. I can't find the magisk manager or in the settings about magisk. I guess you have to clean install from the beginning to get the root. Thank you for the Kernel

Shouldn't. If you flashed the prerooted magisk image try downloading the magisk manager app manually from xda and see if magisk works

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello!

I want to introduce my first custom kernel for the Essential PH-1. This is based of several sources, I cherry-picked commits to make improvements to the stock LOS kernel. I'm not a developer, but i really like to port stuff over :).

Kernel is suitable for AOSP based ROMS such as RR/AICP/CARBON/LOS etc... If you want to request for specific features, let me know and i'll do my best to bring them over.

Special Features:

• USB Fast Charge - pending will be added in R2
    • Dynamic Fsync control
    • a little Overclock - will be added in R2
    • Motorola Quickwake - Will be added in R2

Download

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you use this and brick your device or if your device blows up, implodes, flames start shooting from it or it kills your neighbor's dog. Flash at your own risk. I am not responsible.... It was the other guy... I swear....

Latest Release: SMF-Kernel R2

Known issues:

• 05.17.2018 - CPU Freq don't always stick, known issue caused by other drivers. Phone will eventually set your frequencies, dont' panic.

Installation:

• Obviouly you have a Unlocked Bootloader since you're running a custom rom (make sure to never lock your bootloader in this state)
    • Boot into Bootloader (adb reboot Bootloader)
    • If you want to root flash the "Magisk" version of the kernel, it's been prerooted with the latest Magisk Beta available.
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot SMF-Kernel-R1-Magisk.img
      reboot
    • If you want to manually root, first flash twrp, then from twrp flash the 'non magisk' version and after that flash the magisk zip.

Special Thanks to:
    jcadduono
    franciscofranco
    bedalus
    lord_boeffla
    flar2
    sultanxda
    ...and many others from whom i cherry pick commits... Sorry if I forgot to mention anyone!

XDA:DevDB Information
    SMF-KERNEL, Kernel for the Essential Phone

Contributors
    jimbo77
    Source Code: https://github.com/Jimbo77/android_kernel_essential_msm8998

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: R1
    Stable Release Date: 2018-05-17

Created 2018-05-17
    Last Updated 2018-05-17
    SMF-Kernel R2 has been released! - Find link in OP

Changelog 05.23.2018
    • Enabled Motorola QuickWake Driver - This will enable system to do checks or syncs without fully resuming the device, main objective is battery life.
    • OverClock
    • Enabled Wireguard
    • Min/Max Brightness options is now configurable as well, to avoid the screen go too dim or to bright.

Enjoy!
    Changelog 05.23.2018
    • OverClock
    • Enabled Wireguard

Changelogs 05.17.218
    • Dynamic Fsync control
    I did a clean install of RR and video recording is working

It works after a reboot but as soon as the device enters deep sleep video camera is broken again.

I'll take a look at the latest commits but I've used the latest los kernel base so I'm not sure why is not sticking maybe it needs rom support too (not sure honestly) hahaha

I've been testing R2 since yesterday. Will update after y he weekend! :D