Kernel source

Search This thread

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
I'm very interested in how the Desire kernel works in comparison to other devices. The kernel source, which HTC is obliged to provide under the GPL, is not currently listed at http://developer.htc.com/. I e-mailed them yesterday and this was their response:

Thank you for contacting us concerning your request fro the Kernal for the HTC Legend and the HTC Desire, My name is Chris and I will be helping you today.

I do understand how important it is to be able to use your device to the best of its capabilities. We are not withholding the kernel; we are currently working through the legal channels that we must go through to make the kernel available to you. Each product is individually under review. When the kernel is available, you will be able to find it on developer.htc.com. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced, and thank you for your patience in this matter.

Kernel source will also help developers find root exploits (it seems as though fastboot oem unlock does not work on the Desire, or perhaps the majority of Desires). HTC has not been prompt in providing the kernel source before, while competitors like Motorola have provided it the day of launch or before, and Google has always provided kernel source of AOSP-based devices at android.git.kernel.org.

Thus, I will encourage everyone here to pester HTC about the Desire/Legend kernel source. This may help expedite the process. There is absolutely no reason HTC must go through "legal channels" in order to release the kernel source, unless they have plans to withhold the source if said legal channels deny them the privilege of releasing the source.

Also, I'm curious about the Desire's hardware. Can someone run a "cat /proc/meminfo" to see that extra 64MB of RAM? :rolleyes: Also, run a multitouch test to see if the Desire uses a "fixed" panel.

To begin root speculation, can anyone confirm that there are OEM unlockable Desires in the wild? If so, could we downgrade production Desires to this older SPL and then unlock? HTC's latest kernels seem rock-solid, and are probably incredibly difficult to exploit: just look at the Eris.

Last edited:

irkan

Nov 26, 2009
I'm very interested in how the Desire kernel works in comparison to other devices. The kernel source, which HTC is obliged to provide under the GPL, is not currently listed at http://developer.htc.com/. I e-mailed them yesterday and this was their response:

Kernel source will also help developers find root exploits (it seems as though fastboot oem unlock does not work on the Desire, or perhaps the majority of Desires). HTC has not been prompt in providing the kernel source before.

Thus, I will encourage everyone here to pester HTC about the Desire/Legend kernel source. This may help expedite the process. There is absolutely no reason HTC must go through "legal channels" in order to release the kernel source, unless they have plans to withhold the source if said legal channels deny them the privilege of releasing the source.

Also, I'm curious about the Desire's hardware. Can someone run a "cat /proc/meminfo" to see that extra 64MB of RAM? :rolleyes:

I think Mr. Chris does not have a clue what the hell are you talking about :)

those customer care guys are just there to make you feel better, in most cases they know nothing about what you really want, they just have a template that they can fill in the blanks from your request.

in the mean time, i will fire them an email too and see how they will fill in the blanks :)

s1977

Feb 7, 2009
Liverpuuuuuuuuuul :)
Here's the output from meminfo below:

$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 407900 kB
MemFree: 58380 kB
Buffers: 1224 kB
Cached: 122968 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 242228 kB
Inactive: 80004 kB
Active(anon): 202488 kB
Inactive(anon): 0 kB
Active(file): 39740 kB
Inactive(file): 80004 kB
Unevictable: 0 kB
Mlocked: 0 kB
SwapTotal: 0 kB
SwapFree: 0 kB
Dirty: 0 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 198052 kB
Mapped: 69508 kB
Slab: 8648 kB
SReclaimable: 2556 kB
SUnreclaim: 6092 kB
PageTables: 12284 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
WritebackTmp: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 203948 kB
Committed_AS: 4838304 kB
VmallocTotal: 466944 kB
VmallocUsed: 130264 kB
VmallocChunk: 305156 kB

coolbho3000

Dec 26, 2008
Here's the output from meminfo below:

$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 407900 kB
MemFree: 58380 kB
Buffers: 1224 kB
Cached: 122968 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 242228 kB
Inactive: 80004 kB
Active(anon): 202488 kB
Inactive(anon): 0 kB
Active(file): 39740 kB
Inactive(file): 80004 kB
Unevictable: 0 kB
Mlocked: 0 kB
SwapTotal: 0 kB
SwapFree: 0 kB
Dirty: 0 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 198052 kB
Mapped: 69508 kB
Slab: 8648 kB
SReclaimable: 2556 kB
SUnreclaim: 6092 kB
PageTables: 12284 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
WritebackTmp: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 203948 kB
Committed_AS: 4838304 kB
VmallocTotal: 466944 kB
VmallocUsed: 130264 kB
VmallocChunk: 305156 kB

Thanks :) Looks pretty similar to the N1 after highmem, give or take 12MB or so. That 64MB is probably baseband-only after all...

coolbho3000

Dec 26, 2008
Bump: Now that the HTC Desire has been rooted, it is more imperative than ever that we have the kernel source. Kernel source will allow low-level tweaks that is not possible without it!

Please bug HTC about this issue so that the Desire kernel can be modified.