Kernel sources - Released!!! Link up!!

Search This thread

michael9413

Aug 23, 2010
Subang Jaya
Hi guys,
After being fed up for long time, we have some good news to cheer about. And the news is from Hugo Barra again. I was going through YouTube and saw Hugo answering 2 people in the comments section about the kernel sources.
Q.1 by Ryan Berkeley -
"Redundant, because I asked this question on another youtube video of yours. Here's the question. When are the kernals going to be released? According to GPL, that needs to be released and we might get a sub forum on XDA for it? This phone isn't for me, but once the phone crosses the warranty stage, I'd like to see it last longer than a mere 2 years like my #lgoptimus2x"
Reply from Hugo : Mi 3 kernel source coming in the next few weeks, please stand by!""

Q.2 by Anish Pawar -
"When is Xiaomi releasing kernel sources for mi3?"
Reply from Hugo : "n a few weeks, we're really sorry about the delay! Has to do with the fact that Mi 4 is using the same kernel source, so we're just putting the finishing touches on what we plan to release.

Source :
Comment 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTQsoA4XPdE&google_comment_id=z13kxh2htq20hfkjo04chf5bmozhvhwinyk0k
Comment 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTQsoA4XPdE&google_comment_id=z12rebxbblrbcjkyn04cctxjgquje5b4q20

until 2 months it is still pending... ZZZZZ

Last edited:

yusioo7

Nov 26, 2011
bangalore

That guy seems to be completely confused... I guess he thinks that Kernel sources from Xiaomi can be only used to compile MIUI ROMS...
:confused: eh???
He also states that Xiaomi developers are given the source code and again states that Xiaomi doesn't have the sources...
:eek: WTF???

Now since we all know that Xiaomi is in clear violation of GPL and has complete support from their Govt. they have the balls to postpone [ or rather deny ] the release the sources...
Well if that's how they feel safe in China, then they must not be allowed to sell their products outside China...
People with authority should properly take action against them... :mad:

Reactions: borx28

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
That guy seems to be completely confused... I guess he thinks that Kernel sources from Xiaomi can be only used to compile MIUI ROMS...
:confused: eh???
He also states that Xiaomi developers are given the source code and again states that Xiaomi doesn't have the sources...
:eek: WTF???

Now since we all know that Xiaomi is in clear violation of GPL and has complete support from their Govt. they have the balls to postpone [ or rather deny ] the release the sources...
Well if that's how they feel safe in China, then they must not be allowed to sell their products outside China...
People with authority should properly take action against them... :mad:

You would be amazed at how many companies do this. Most are located in Asia where copyright and GPL laws are not really enforced. Why do you think you have to order them from a China based site.

yusioo7

Nov 26, 2011
bangalore
You would be amazed at how many companies do this. Most are located in Asia where copyright and GPL laws are not really enforced. Why do you think you have to order them from a China based site.

You are exactly right about those products available only from their local websites... But here in India they are selling products from Indian website which is actually a very popular website... What I'm trying to say is, If people join forces and prevent these companies from legally selling their products outside their so called safe zones then, they will have no way to expand their market share ... And that will surely scare the crap out of them... Specially for a company like Xiaomi which has the dream of being a global company...
I just feel that something can be done to force them in being a little ethical and release the sources.. :fingers-crossed:

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
You are exactly right about those products available only from their local websites... But here in India they are selling products from Indian website which is actually a very popular website... What I'm trying to say is, If people join forces and prevent these companies from legally selling their products outside their so called safe zones then, they will have no way to expand their market share ... And that will surely scare the crap out of them... Specially for a company like Xiaomi which has the dream of being a global company...
I just feel that something can be done to force them in being a little ethical and release the sources.. :fingers-crossed:

I hate to say this and I mean no disrespect but the OEMs in India are not really any better. I have been fighting with a few over the years because they dont release the kernel source. So it is no big surprise that they went to India. Look At all the countries they are releasing in. All of them have lax copyright and GPL enforcement.

yusioo7

Nov 26, 2011
bangalore
That's a Good Idea...

Do you guys have friends works as writer that can bring this matter in headlines? anyone?

Yes, I know a few people who could write and publish about it...
This is a great Idea actually... I will surely try my best to get this out in the public...
It is always better to try speeding things up rather than just waiting for it to happen...
Thanks for the suggestion... :highfive:

feed3

Nov 17, 2011
The Land of Hornbill...
This is a great Idea actually... I will surely try my best to get this out in the public...
It is always better to try speeding things up rather than just waiting for it to happen...

Nice!!!thanks and goodluck. May we get their attention.

Reactions: yusioo7

CharsiBabu

Mar 25, 2012
Mumbai
Great Idea

Do you guys have friends works as writer that can bring this matter in headlines? anyone?

I'm on it bro.

Gathering references now.
Agenda / To Do list:

• gather quotes / references
  • draft letter
  • publish on blogs
  • push letter to major news channels / papers
  • stop sale on flipkart
Even if one major newspaper publishes this article, that'll (sort of) evoke from Hugo.
Previously some issue regarding ban of Chinese phones in India had caught their attention. So, I'm hoping that this might work out in our favour.

feed3

Nov 17, 2011
The Land of Hornbill...
I'm on it bro.

Agenda / To Do list:

• draft letter
  • publish on blogs
  • stop sale on flipkart
Even if one major newspaper publishes this article, that'll (sort of) evoke from Hugo.
Previously some issue regarding ban of Chinese phones in India had caught their attention. So, I'm hoping that this might work out in our favour.

I hope with this effort, their eyes would open a bit and kernel sources released earlier..

sivabommakanti

Dec 15, 2011
Chennai
I'm on it bro.

Agenda / To Do list:

• draft letter
  • publish on blogs
  • stop sale on flipkart

Great to see this happen. Thanks for your efforts

feed3

Nov 17, 2011
The Land of Hornbill...
Since i have been banned in Xiaomi forum, i will use my brothers xda account to continue the war against xiaomi. I hope @zelendel will allow us to use this thread to continue our effort pushing xiaomi releasing sources.

Last edited:
Reactions: yusioo7

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    me and one of cancrocm team is currently working on the kernel.
    https://github.com/kernel-hut/Xiaomi_Kernel_OpenSource branch=cancro-cm12.1

My source is good to go.. Only work with cm base rom with my latest commit in device tree.. FULL WIPE IS NEEDED!!!

I'm using cm build environment.. Read how to compile from source and create boot.img.

If your using cm environment,

. build/envsetup.sh && launch cm_cancro-userdebug && mka bootimg
    I am not gonna believe until you close down the support of Xiaomi products here. You had a chat with jaimani which is why you open up custom roms without kernel sources. 31st March=no kernel sources..just end everything about Xiaomi here.
    It won't matter if they release it or not. We will continue to let people mod their device, even if Xiaomi doesn't help
    @jaimani First of all, hello,
    Now that we are in Q1 is it possible to get the datum of kernel release? :)

Hi!

I'm supposed to go to China this week for the Jan 15th launch (actually supposed to go tonight...) but am waiting on some visa related stuff. Going to try to get updated timelines for kernel source releases when I'm there.

--Jai
    I can understand your hesitation because honestly I felt similarly until I started to meet the people who worked at Xiaomi. You can look at things from two perspectives: either there is some evil going on (and that type of FUD gets magnified whenever you add the word "China") or the simpler reason that we are still a very young company with growing pains. We do not have the man power that the more experienced OEMs have and that will likely stay that way because it helps us keep the costs of our devices low. Objective evidence suggests that we are getting better with time, not worse.

There's really no reason for me to post here other than to ask for feedback as to how we can be more helpful. I checked your post history and you are extremely wary of Xiaomi (again understandable). You obviously have a better understanding of the XDA community than we do. You also have a better understanding of what the community developers value. If you (or anybody you can think of for that matter) has some concrete things that you'd like to see us do which might change your mind, please let me know. I have a decent idea of what we'd need to do to exceed developer expectations, but I'd prefer to get that information from the source.

I have sent you a PM to help keep the topic clean.

For others watching this. You have my word that I will be doing everything I can to help the users as much as the developers for this device. I normally dont have blind faith but i will make an exception this time.