• Maintenance

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • Close to stock

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Close to Boeffla

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • Sometimes new features

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Easy config interface (thanks to Lord Boeffla)

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Awesome developer ;)

Votes: 39 28.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Oebbler1

Dec 9, 2016
First of all I would like to thank you for all the great work on this kernel, I also would like to ask if it would be possible to add a switch for lower brightness mode or compile a variant without this feature?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards!
Of course this is possible, but it will be very complicated. If you want a version without this feature, please compile it by yourself. Just download my Github repository, revert the commits which add and fix the new brightness feature and compile using the bbuild-anykernel script.
The official versions of my kernel will include this feature, even in the future. If you set the brightness to 73 or above you'll use only original brightness steps made by Samsung.

Reactions: htcthd1

Oebbler1

Dec 9, 2016
This is a common bug, especially in LineageOS 11 and CyanogenMod 12.1.
It happens because these ROMs have a faulty camera driver, so I recommend you to use the latest snapshot of CyanogenMod 11, not LineageOS 11, because the official CM11 builds don't seem to have this bug.

georgekav33

Mar 4, 2017
Xiaomi Mi 5
Hey @Oebbler thanks, that is correct. I had very frequency such issue with the CM13 but yes I remember that when my s3 was my daily driver that it happened, just less frequently. What I noticed with the LOS11 is that it became much more common. I thought that CM11/LOS11 bases should not have changed much during transition. The reasons I am using your LOS11 roms is the security parches compared to the abandoned official CM11 :)
For others with the same error, I mitigated (workaround only...) using the kill mediaserver app from the play store.

silent_burner

Oct 24, 2017
I am using this kernel and Ressurection Remix ROM and its great. But sometimes the CPU overheat (on 1800 MHz @ 1500mV) and the phone turns off hard. It would be great if the CPU-freq would be automatically reduced to 1400 MHz in case of heat, instead of power off. Is it possible to implement this? This would be a great feature.

Oebbler1

Dec 9, 2016
I am using this kernel and Ressurection Remix ROM and its great. But sometimes the CPU overheat (on 1800 MHz @ 1500mV) and the phone turns off hard. It would be great if the CPU-freq would be automatically reduced to 1400 MHz in case of heat, instead of power off. Is it possible to implement this? This would be a great feature.

This is already implemented. At first, the frequency will be reduced to 1400MHz. If the phone still gets hotter, the frequency will be reduced to 800MHz. If that's still too little, then the phone will turn off.
Maybe it helps if you renew the heat sink liquid that's on your SoC inside the phone. Therefore I'd recommend the one from Noctua. It seems your phone gets much hotter inside than you notice.
In addition to that, I'd recommend you to try if your phone remains stable at a lower voltage. At 1500mV your CPU consumes much more power than at 1450, e.g.

Last edited:

Oebbler1

Dec 9, 2016
All kernels except version 6.0 (for CM 14.1) are EOL, so this feature won't be implemented anymore. If you like to use it on CM 12.1 please backport it by yourself.

rocciacoraggiosa45

Nov 6, 2013
Italy
This is already implemented. At first, the frequency will be reduced to 1400MHz. If the phone still gets hotter, the frequency will be reduced to 800MHz. If that's still too little, then the phone will turn off.
Maybe it helps if you renew the heat sink liquid that's on your SoC inside the phone. Therefore I'd recommend the one from Noctua. It seems your phone gets much hotter inside than you notice.
In addition to that, I'd recommend you to try if your phone remains stable at a lower voltage. At 1500mV your CPU consumes much more power than at 1450, e.g.

what is heat sink liquid ? ò.ò

nobuteru

Nov 21, 2017
hello,
I am new of this "world", I mean custom..

I want to ask if this kernel run on Lineage 14.1 and the version of the kernel, I remeber Lineage 14.1 have 3.0.x , it is based on it? or is another kernel, maybe newer version?

I am aking it, because a Magisk's function, "Hide" require minimum kernel 3.8, just wanna know Elite-Boeffa is "newer"

sorry for wrong English,

thanks,
bye

Last edited:

Oebbler1

Dec 9, 2016
hello,
I am new of this "world", I mean custom..

I want to ask if this kernel run on Lineage 14.1 and the version of the kernel, I remeber Lineage 14.1 have 3.0.x , it is based on it? or is another kernel, maybe newer version?

I am aking it, because a Magisk's function, "Hide" require minimum kernel 3.8, just wanna know Elite-Boeffa is "newer"

sorry for wrong English,

thanks,
bye
My kernel is based on Linux 3.0.101. There's no 3.8 kernel available for the Galaxy S3, but it's worth a try if your function works using my kernel, because I've backported something from newer kernel versions.

Reactions: nobuteru

nobuteru

Nov 21, 2017
My kernel is based on Linux 3.0.101. There's no 3.8 kernel available for the Galaxy S3, but it's worth a try if your function works using my kernel, because I've backported something from newer kernel versions.

OK!
thank you thousand for it, I din't know, and as soon as possible I will test that kernel, that I am reading online that is the best, I am a little bit curios if you can ask me, Lineage 15 will be "shipped" with witch kernel version?

bye

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Heat sink liquid is the grey liquid which is between the CPU and the cooler. On our S3 the display is the cooler.

Hello,
I am curios and I am not a "pro" about customization or modding, where did you put the heat sink liquid?, when S3 became hot (excluding battery during charge), I feel it is in the processor area and is placed on logic board, so you put that there on it?

If possible I would like to see picture.. maybe can help also other people

billysam

Oct 3, 2014
That's not necessary for our S3, so only a grey liquid is needed.

I personally like my S3 for being hot, you see where I live, it's a bit cold, and it feels so nice that I have a device that works as a mini heater for me, I know it won't explode, this one is safe, all thanks to your kernel.

The only issue I faced sometimes is that while I plug my S3 on a usb port and use the device at the same time, the battery percent will start decreasing instead of gaining, the moment I lock my device and stop using it, it starts charging normally again.

I had no issues like this on 4.4.4 based ROMs, but the moment I come to LOS13 and 14.1 based ROMs it starts giving me this behavior.
I have enabled the ignore unstable power and safety margin in Boeffla app . didn't helped
tried playing around with the USB Charge Current values, but didn't helped much either.

The only thing that did work, was removing the cable and plugging it back again.(I know it's not damaged, cause it works perfect for stock and kitkat based ROMs)
I also noticed that when I rebooted my device while the USB cable was plugged in, the mobile was charging but it wasn't detected by my pc neither the s3 had the connected notification in the bar, I had to reconnect it again and it shows fine.
Apart from this strange bug on/of my device, I love everything about this Kernel.

The fact that I absolutely hate to carry a single SIM device, and a device that goes critical while talking to my girl which makes her angry, apart from the fact that I broke the display with my own hands, and bought and replaced a faulty LCD Myself, that has messed up the brightness sensor where I cannot dim the light, I have no intension of giving up on this device. reason why this might be the case on my device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

I want to present my kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S3, that allows you to overclock up to 2 GHz. This kernel is based on the official Boeffla kernel for CM14. Although the official Boeffla kernel supports CM14.0 and CM14.1, my kernel supports CM14.1 only, because CM14.0 for the SGS3 isn't supported by the CM team anymore. It may run on CM14.0 as well, but please don't report any errors if you use it with CM14.0 or any other OS than CM14.1.

Feature list:
    - Every feature from official Boeffla-Kernel (6.1 final)
    - Support for Synapse (partial) and Boeffla Config (fully)
    - CPU overclocking up to 2 GHz
    - CPU: 100MHz step added to save power
    - Faster boot process due to some internal improvements
    - 3 new governors added (adaptive, conservative, interactive)
    - CPU voltage can be chosen between 600mV and 1600mV
    - full F2FS support (backported from Linux 3.19)
    - Charging current can be set up to 2.1 Amps
    - Battery percentage never reaches 0%, so the phone won't turn off at low battery
    - No overcharge anymore due to an internal improvement
    - Early suspend adjustable up to 5000ms
    - more undervolting profiles for the GPU
    - much lower brightness can be set than on stock kernel; the display will be almost black on lowest brightness level (maximum possible brightness stays the same)
    - Configurable kernel logger (turning kernel logger off is not stable on CM and LOS)
    - compiled using GCC 7.2.1 by Linaro (Thanks to ZaneZam for publishing the kernel-specific GCC-6-code; this works with GCC 7 as well!)

For configuration I recommend Boeffla Config.
    You can use your old config you had using the official Boeffla-Kernel, but this may lead to minor problems. So I'd recommend to reset Boeffla Config before you flash my kernel. If you already use my kernel and just upgrading it you can use the old config without any problems.

WARNING!!! Nobody except you can and will be responsible for a damaged or bricked phone due to my kernel. It's very unlikely that my kernel harms your phone, but it's not impossible.

Have fun using my kernel and feel free to ask questions about it!

Source code: Oebbler · GitHub

XDA:DevDB Information
    Elite-Boeffla-Kernel, Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S III I9300

Contributors
    Oebbler1
    Kernel Special Features: OC up to 2GHz, Support for Boeffla Config, Full F2FS support, Charging current up to 2.1 Amps

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 6.1.0.2
    Stable Release Date: 2018-12-20

Created 2016-12-27
    Last Updated 2018-12-20
    Changelog (CM14.1 only)

6.0.0.1-beta1
    First Release
    this kernel includes every feature and bugfix of Boeffla-Kernel 5.1.0.5 (for CM13.0)
    Full F2FS support

6.0.0.1-beta2
    not published

6.0.0.1-beta3
    Sources updated (all changes from CM-Kernel made until 19.12.2016)
    Toolchain updated: GCC 6.2.1 Linaro

6.0.0.1-beta4
    Sources updated (LineageOS from 05.01.2017)

6.0.0.1-beta5 and 5.3.0.5-F2FS (CM13.0 version)
    Sources updated (LineageOS from 10.01.2017)
    Busybox updated to 1.26.2 (thanks to Lord Boeffla)
    Kernel logger can be controlled again (below Android logger)

6.0.0.1-beta6
    Sources updated (LineageOS from 06.02.2017)
    UMS and SELinux fixed (SELinux can be controlled again)

6.0.0.1-beta7
    Sources updated (LineageOS from 15.02.2017)
    Toolchain updated to Linaro 6.3.1

6.0.0.1-beta8
    Sources updated (LineageOS from 07.04.2017)

6.0.0.1-beta9
    not published

6.0.0.1-beta10 and 5.3.0.7 (CM13.0 version)
    fixed charge levels; now they work fine
    internal improvements to extend battery life and to avoid overcharge of the battery

6.0.0.1-beta11 and 5.3.0.8 (CM13.0 version)
    Sources updated (LineageOS from 04.06.2017; CM14 kernel only)
    Display brightness can be set much lower than on stock kernel now (the display will be almost black on lowest brightness level); but maximum possible brightness stays the same

6.0.0.1-beta12
    Sources updated (LineageOS from 21.07.2017)
    Toolchain updated to Linaro 7.1.1
    Busybox updated (version 1.27.1 compiled by Lord Boeffla)
    Display brightness slider fixed
    Doze mode switch fixed

Same as 6.0.0.1-beta12, but better tested

Default governor changed to intelliactive
    Default I/O scheduler changed to deadline
    Fix for Doze mode switch reworked
    Busybox updated (version 1.27.2 compiled by Lord Boeffla)
    Toolchain updated to Linaro 7.1.1-2

not published

6.0.0.4-Synapse
    Sources updated (LineageOS from 19.01.2018)
    Synapse support added in addition to Boeffla Config support (Synapse apk can be found in /res/synapse after installing this version of Elite-Boeffla-Kernel)
    Default governor changed to pegasusq

6.1.0.1-beta5
    Default governor changed back to intelliactive
    Battery percentage will show 1% instead of 0% iff battery is fully discharged; it is highly recommended to charge the phone immediately when reching 1%!
    Added support for mount namespace separation in order to support Magisk Hide

not published

fixed the LED driver to properly provide the given settings in Boeffla Config and Synapse
    fixed some voltages to get a cooler CPU
    @Oebbler1
    Will you continue supporting S3 users on Oreo 8.0 ?
    I wish that you continue working on our lovely boeffla kernel to support us on 8.0
    That's will be great News if you do that :good:
    https://www.boeffla.de/index.php/89-lineageos-15-is-coming-game-over-for-4-phones-finally
    I can't definetly say it, but I plan to do so, but please don't ask for ETA's or something else about this until my first build for Android 8.0 is out.
    This may be one reason why most kernel devs don't support systems which are tweaked by Xposed.
    Apart from that, I've finished the new version of my kernel.
    Hi guys,
    due to a crash of the BIOS of my computer I won't be able to compile any new versions of my kernel until I have this issue fixed. Please be patient for the next update.