• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General [Kernel] StarKissed B2Q [Raccoon City]

Search This thread
d6drw47-f8769f63-5d4e-4be7-8a24-9019abe48de3.gif

This kernel is (currently still very) experimental. Use at your own risk.​

This kernel assumes a few things about you, the user:

1. You have a Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3
2. You have read all warnings and instructions
3. You are rooted (implying an unlocked bootloader)
4. You have an installation method
5. You have a backup boot image

Releases will be labeled with the commit hash of their source. An unlocked device is recommended for this kernel, but not necessarily required. I am not responsible for any issues or damage caused by installing this kernel, so have a backup ready.

All kernels are released with the possibility of not booting. This should be considered a WIP release. They are provided for review and testing of the included components.

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to Android kernel development. Specific credit is provided through accurate commit history. Also, big thanks to @beanbean50 for testing. It's easier to write code than risk your hardware.

Last edited:
Current Kernel Improvements

Boeffla Wakelock Blocker v1.1.0
Wireguard v1.0.20210606
Patched SafetyNet commandline
Magisk process detection patch
Disable watermark boosting
Multicolor LED / PlayStation / Nintendo HID
Tuxera ExFAT / NTFS modules
Umbrella Core / Raccoon City [WIP]
Optimization from Kirisakura / StarKissed

raccoon_city (originally written for the Shield Tablet) is a new take on "interactive" by using a combination of low latency timers and the kernel scheduler to scale more aggressively (or less, if configured that way) based on workload, in addition to capping the max inactive frequency. The purpose is to provide a balance between good battery life and performance without handicapping the device.

umbrella_core (originally written for the Note 4 and ported to hundreds of other devices) takes raccoon_city a step further with automation. In addition to the full array of user settings, this governor features a smart mode that will adjust the base values within a set range to further optimize battery and performance.

The difference between these governors and the batterysaver implementation (also available) is the lack of arbitrary caps on max values during normal use. By controlling the workload, this allows better control over when the next frequency is reached, instead of whether it is available at all.

The default configuration idles at a max of about 800 mHz, but can be configured for each cluster, much like most settings.

The original source is provided through the public Samsung source under SM-F711B

Building / Compiling Custom Kernels

Last edited:

beanbean50

Jul 9, 2008
London
I really want to try this but for the life of me I can't get any fastboot commands to work (waiting for any device) flashed every known usb/fastboot driver out there, changed ports/cables etc but no luck, ADB works fine. Is there a way to make it flashable through Magisk or Odin?

I really want to try this but for the life of me I can't get any fastboot commands to work (waiting for any device) flashed every known usb/fastboot driver out there, changed ports/cables etc but no luck, ADB works fine. Is there a way to make it flashable through Magisk or Odin?

I've been looking for how to convert it. I missed a couple changes, so I'm trying to wrap those up first.

Reactions: beanbean50

jacobsson

May 21, 2016
@twistedumbrella Probably silly question. I've always wondered if video-out is a hardware or software limitation on this device, since it lack DeX and I can't get any other video signal via USB-c.

Q: In your Kernel, does it allow any video signal from "force desktop mode" or similar via the USB-c or do you think this is total no-go due to hardware limitation?

EDIT: oh wait sorry, I think you actually answered my question in a another thread, although I did not really understood if it was confirmed to be a hardware limitation or not.

Last edited:
Tracking down a couple modules that still need to be made inline. I thought I had converted all of them. Once that's done, we should be good to start releasing builds.

@twistedumbrella Probably silly question. I've always wondered if video-out is a hardware or software limitation on this device, since it lack DeX and I can't get any other video signal via USB-c.

Q: In your Kernel, does it allow any video signal from "force desktop mode" or similar via the USB-c or do you think this is total no-go due to hardware limitation?

EDIT: oh wait sorry, I think you actually answered my question in a another thread, although I did not really understood if it was confirmed to be a hardware limitation or not.

There is a lengthy discussion on reddit where they found the same results and came to the same conclusions. If no signal is possible, wired video out appears to be missing altogether.

Interesting enough there ARE disabled drivers for it. The only thing I don't know is if they would work. I guess the only real way to find out would be to enable them and find some lucky victi... I mean tester to see if they enable it.

Last edited:
This is going to be interesting...

I have a US unlocked model and rumors are surfacing that this means I cannot unlock the bootloader. It has been stated that this has been the case for many years. This contradicts my experience with the Note 20 Ultra, which was also a US unlocked model with OEM unlock available.

That said, until I can confirm that the bootloader can be unlocked, I am unable to test builds on my own device. I am, however, able to test very similar builds with the same changes on a device with similar hardware.

Assuming Samsung lives up to their history of releasing kernel source that builds out of the box, this should allow building working kernels with only those changes that have been tested on the other device. Please note that the base source is for the European device.

I highly recommend having all data backed up and am Odin restore ready until such time as the kernel has a few confirmations.

beanbean50

Jul 9, 2008
London
Thanks for this, it looks very good but how do we flash it (whilst waiting for twrp) I've tried FKM, EX, Flashify, Magisk and Odin but all of them failed

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210921-064742_Franco Kernel Manager.jpg
    Screenshot_20210921-064742_Franco Kernel Manager.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20210921-065039_EX Kernel Manager.jpg
    Screenshot_20210921-065039_EX Kernel Manager.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20210921-070227.jpg
    Screenshot_20210921-070227.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 41
Thanks for this, it looks very good but how do we flash it (whilst waiting for twrp) I've tried FKM, EX, Flashify, Magisk and Odin but all of them failed

I guess this isn't a slot device like most of the newer ones. It would make sense not being one, but I didn't want to break anything being wrong. Assuming it had the slots when it didn't only fails. Assuming it didn't have the slots if it did could have caused a bad write. It was better to try with before trying without, since there is no fastboot to flat out check the device directly.

Here is a version without slots. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

beanbean50

Jul 9, 2008
London
No luck here, FKM said something about 'Magisk detected no need to ...' but I missed the rest of the log as it rebooted within 2 seconds of flashing. However, it got stuck on the Samsung logo upon rebooting, thankfully and eventually I got into download mode and re-flashed the stock rom and all's well again.

No luck here, FKM said something about 'Magisk detected no need to ...' but I missed the rest of the log as it rebooted within 2 seconds of flashing. However, it got stuck on the Samsung logo upon rebooting, thankfully and eventually I got into download mode and re-flashed the stock rom and all's well again.

It should have been telling you magisk was detected, so there was no need to install again. I'll have to look back over everything. The hardest part is not being able to test it locally.

Here's the install log if it's any help ...

Thanks. I think the issue is a few drivers that didn't inline. They hid them all over and Samsung added fuel to the fire by making individual configuration files for each platform (despite being identical).

Even if the kernel didn't fully boot, the good news is that it froze on the Samsung logo and didn't simply reboot. What that means is that, most likely, it really is as simple as tracking down why these drivers are building as modules and making them inline. I imagine, even with things how they are, that the kernel might boot given enough time. Nobody wants to wait that long, though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i am not a lover of samsung phones as they are famous for poor battery life, but this flip3 fascinated me and i got it, already i am owner of a razr 5g whose battery is much better so i am so anxious and hoping to have a kernel soon and maybe in the future an aosp rom, i believe the battery life will improve for this flip3.

It will be a while before any major improvement to battery life. Only one person is testing builds. It is a lot to ask of one person to keep flashing things and restoring, especially without any way to test them first.

Thanks. I think the issue is a few drivers that didn't inline. They hid them all over and Samsung added fuel to the fire by making individual configuration files for each platform (despite being identical).

I've been looking for how to convert it. I missed a couple changes, so I'm trying to wrap those up first.
    Here goes nothing...

I guess this isn't a slot device like most of the newer ones. It would make sense not being one, but I didn't want to break anything being wrong. Assuming it had the slots when it didn't only fails. Assuming it didn't have the slots if it did could have caused a bad write. It was better to try with before trying without, since there is no fastboot to flat out check the device directly.

Here is a version without slots. Fingers crossed.

d6drw47-f8769f63-5d4e-4be7-8a24-9019abe48de3.gif

This kernel is (currently still very) experimental. Use at your own risk.​

This kernel assumes a few things about you, the user:

1. You have a Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3
    2. You have read all warnings and instructions
    3. You are rooted (implying an unlocked bootloader)
    4. You have an installation method
    5. You have a backup boot image

Releases will be labeled with the commit hash of their source. An unlocked device is recommended for this kernel, but not necessarily required. I am not responsible for any issues or damage caused by installing this kernel, so have a backup ready.

All kernels are released with the possibility of not booting. This should be considered a WIP release. They are provided for review and testing of the included components.

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to Android kernel development. Specific credit is provided through accurate commit history. Also, big thanks to @beanbean50 for testing. It's easier to write code than risk your hardware.

i am not a lover of samsung phones as they are famous for poor battery life, but this flip3 fascinated me and i got it, already i am owner of a razr 5g whose battery is much better so i am so anxious and hoping to have a kernel soon and maybe in the future an aosp rom, i believe the battery life will improve for this flip3.

It will be a while before any major improvement to battery life. Only one person is testing builds. It is a lot to ask of one person to keep flashing things and restoring, especially without any way to test them first.

I assumed, from how organized and thorough Samsung source is usually published, that I wouldn't need a driver that wasn't included. I guess it wouldn't hurt to include it. That and some Knox changes should get things sorted out. I also disabled a bit of log spam that I noticed that result from how modules are built for a custom kernel.