[KERNEL] Stock Kernel + SafetyNet Patch

Search This thread

iissmart

Aug 7, 2010
Hmm I extracted the file and used fastboot flash kernel kernel_marlin-3.18-nougat-mr2.img and it gives me an error "error: cannot load 'kernel_marlin-3.18-nougat-mr2.img"

I think you're trying to flash an older patch I made that was a full boot image (the .img is a hint). If you want to flash that change 'kernel' to 'boot' in your fastboot command. Otherwise just download the new attachment from the OP which contains only the kernel.

MrDrift42

Dec 5, 2010
Hmm I extracted the file and used fastboot flash kernel kernel_marlin-3.18-nougat-mr2.img and it gives me an error "error: cannot load 'kernel_marlin-3.18-nougat-mr2.img"

The other thing you can do is type the first few characters of the file name and hit tab and it will finish the file name for you. Also make sure it's in the same directory as your fastboot.

Cardflip

Nov 9, 2016
Anyone tried this yet with the may update?

This should work just fine since no changes were made to the kernel, according to the git log :)

EDIT:
You can't flash this anymore with the May update, since the boot image has to be signed by the OEM or your own key. If you want to do this yourself, check out Chainfire's post:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...signing-boot-images-android-verified-t3600606

However, you can still boot with the image without flashing it.

Alternatively, if you want my signed patched boot image for May, I've attached it. Please unzip and flash using fastboot.

Attachments

• boot_signed.zip
    18.5 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:

djRamage

Apr 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
This should work just fine since no changes were made to the kernel, according to the git log :)

EDIT:
You can't flash this anymore with the May update, since the boot image has to be signed by the OEM or your own key. If you want to do this yourself, check out Chainfire's post:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...signing-boot-images-android-verified-t3600606

Alternatively, if you want my signed patched boot image for May, I've attached it. Please unzip and flash using fastboot.

Worked perfect, thanks!

DroidForLife33

Nov 14, 2012

EDIT:

Worked perfectly thanks for taking your time to set this up and post. Verizon xl bootlader unlocked and stock.

sruel3216

Nov 9, 2010
does this effect the ram disk? just curious cuz if i flash a custom kernel and want to go back to stock kernel and ram disk, will this work?

TonikJDK

• Dec 9, 2012
    does this effect the ram disk? just curious cuz if i flash a custom kernel and want to go back to stock kernel and ram disk, will this work?

You can just flash the stock kernel and be right back to normal, ramdisk will be fine. Or you can flash the whole image and totally wipe the phone. Or you can flash the whole thing except your data, settings and apps.

Reactions: sruel3216

sruel3216

Nov 9, 2010
    You can just flash the stock kernel and be right back to normal, ramdisk will be fine. Or you can flash the whole image and totally wipe the phone. Or you can flash the whole thing except your data, settings and apps.

ok cool. yeah id just like to flash kernel so i dont have to set up my phone again. im on the may 7.1.2 will i have any problems? Ive read some roms are not flashing well with the may update

iissmart

Aug 7, 2010
    I was waiting for the dust to settle in regard to signing bootloaders for the May update and newer before updating again, but it looks like things are working well with the June update. There have been no kernel updates for a while, so the patched kernel remains the same but I've updated the instructions on how to flash it with the May/June update.

Others have posted instructions elsewhere on how to do this and also have root/magisk/etc, but the goal for this thread is to maintain stock unrooted but enable Android Pay (and possibly Netflix) with an unlocked bootloader, so my instructions in OP are enough to meet that goal.

Reactions: DroidForLife33

iissmart

Aug 7, 2010
    Updated OP with the latest kernel version from July 2017. For some reason they tagged the July update out of the mr2 branch instead of the mr2.1 branch, so mr2.1 is now older than mr2. Just remember the latest version will always be attached to the OP, so download it from there to avoid confusion.

p1r473

Sep 14, 2015
    Reactions: smithilberry

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Stock Pixel/Pixel XL Kernel + SafetyNet Patch
      Current version: android-9.0.0_r0.111
      Suitable for build(s): August 2019
      Suitable for devices(s): Pixel XL (marlin) | Pixel (sailfish)

I compiled the stock kernel for the Pixel/Pixel XL and applied the SafetyNet patch by sultanxda. The kernel name says marlin, but this also works on sailfish. Google just created one kernel that works on both sailfish (Pixel) and marlin (Pixel XL) devices.

Use case for this kernel:
      - If you want to stay completely stock, but have an unlocked bootloader, the SafetyNet is tripped which disables features such as Android Pay and Netflix.
      - This kernel is completely stock except for the addition of a patch that removes the SafetyNet check.
      - This kernel is only for the builds listed above!!!! This will not work on any prior build.
      - All stock features will work with this kernel (since it's just the stock kernel + patch).
      - If you do not have an unlocked bootloader there is no need to use this kernel. It's exactly the same as the stock kernel, except with the addition of the SafetyNet patch.
      - This will not prevent SafetyNet from tripping for other reasons, like rooting.
      - This will not remove the "device corrupted" warning when the phone is turned on or rebooted.

Installation:
      - Be prepared with backups or the factory image from Google in case you do something wrong
      - Extract kernel from zip file
      - Test with command: fastboot boot <filename>
      - Flash with command: fastboot flash kernel <filename>

**WARNING**
      If flashing this kernel for whatever reason ruins your device, I am not accountable. Use this at your own risk!

The current version will always be attached to this post. Older versions can be found HERE.

(shamelessly copied from Sakete's kernel for the Pixel/Pixel XL, which is no longer being maintained. Thanks for the inspiration, Sakete!)
      Updated OP with the latest kernel version for September 2017. New version is oreo-r3 (yes, they downgraded again from oreo-r6 to oreo-r3).
      Updated OP with the November 2017 kernel update.
      Updated OP with the new kernel for Android 8.0 Oreo. I haven't updated my Pixel XL to 8.0 yet so it's untested by me, but it's compiled using the same process as my other kernels. Let me know if it works or not!
      Update OP for May 2018.