• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Kernel] Stock Overclocked to 1890MHz and init.d support - Testing only

Search This thread

jmandawg

Dec 10, 2009
based on Stock kernel amazon 514006420 sources with just the following 2 features added:

• Overclocked to 1890MHz
  • init.d support (place files in /etc/init.d/ folder)

Since there is no known way to get into recovery with a bad kernel (yet), therefore it flashes only to the recovery partition for your safety. When you are done testing flash rbox's recovery back to the recovery partition.

prerequisites:
rbox's unlocked bootloader
rbox's latest recovery

instructions:

• in CWM - flash zip
  • advance -> reboot recovery

When you boot into recovery the new kernel will boot, when you boot normally your stock kernel will boot. You will not have recovery until you flash rbox's recovery again.

Flash at your own risk!

Last edited:

jmandawg

Dec 10, 2009
Can you notice any performance increase?
I don't really use it that much and it wasn't slow before, so not really but here are my antutu benchmarks with GPU OC to 450, post yours and we can compare:
calAoyH.png

xskJFJK.png

Here is an old topic I made which has a directory I found that contains the Adreno clocking files...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/help/overclocking-t2845001

Thanks, i got it up to 450, but i'm going to see if i can get it any higher.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Can you try out Mupen64Plus AE with those overclocked rates?
You can get a nice dev build in this thread to test (I also have it) that fixes DK64 collisions and stops Banjo-Tooie from crashing.

http://www.paulscode.com/forum/index.php?topic=1797.0

Try running Banjo-Tooie with my "no frameskip" code.
There is now a cheat editor built-in on this dev update,so you can easily add it to the cheat list.

No Frameskip
8007913F 0001

It normally lags quite a bit for me,please tell me how well it runs for you with overclocked CPU and GPU rates.

chrootz

Apr 9, 2011
@jmandawg Hi, If it possible for you to enable the kernel exec (kexec) to allow us run linux kernel and I did asked @rbox to add the kexec support for CMW recovery. I think the kernel with kexec enable so it will allow cmw recovery with kexec enable boot linux kernel. rbox still figure how do it. I couldn't risk overwrite recovery partition with linux kernel due the kernel itself tend over 20mb which is the recovery partition only has 10mb space.

Otherwise I tested benchmark on my AFTV got 29301 score (stock) and am going test this overclock kernel to see how much improvement.

thanks again...

*UPDATED* I ran your overclock kernel, It apparently that benchmark went decreased to 26414 score vs amazon stock 29301. I puzzled. Something is going wrong. Maybe I should reset factory and reinstall fresh rbox's pre-rooted then re-test benchmark stock rbox pre-rooted vs overclock kernel again.

Last edited:

nhumber

Apr 26, 2014
Sarnia
I don't really use it that much and it wasn't slow before, so not really but here are my antutu benchmarks with GPU OC to 450, post yours and we can compare:

Thanks, i got it up to 450, but i'm going to see if i can get it any higher.

can you try running 3dmark benchmark with the modded kernel and gpu clock? might give a good indication on if theres any real world performance gains for gaming, i dont game on my firetv at all but i ran the benchmark just to watch and get a "stock" score for comparison, i scored 10958 on icestorm unlimited, i took a screenshot with the FPS of the different tests i can upload later, my galaxy s4 scored 10650 but i noticed google play was downloading stuff in the background..

side load from here.

http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/?id=com.futuremark.dmandroid.application

mroneeyedboh

Feb 14, 2008
Question: I get the fact that having an OC kernel is cool, but is it really needed? This thing runs very smooth, and I'm unsure if the extra load on the CPU is worth it... Even the potential shorter life to the CPU.

Also I don't know how efficient the thermal pad ( uses a pad not paste ) is under normal circumstances let alone when its going to be OC'd.

nhumber

Apr 26, 2014
Sarnia
Question: I get the fact that having an OC kernel is cool, but is it really needed? This thing runs very smooth, and I'm unsure if the extra load on the CPU is worth it... Even the potential shorter life to the CPU.

Also I don't know how efficient the thermal pad ( uses a pad not paste ) is under normal circumstances let alone when its going to be OC'd.

its probably not needed, i agree with the device being fast enough already, i dont play games on it, but for someone who does there could be some improvements noticed in things like emulators where you might already be seeing FPS drop here and there. 1.9ghz is the stock clock speed for these CPUs in some smartphones so i doubt its doing the hardware any damage at all.

chrootz

Apr 9, 2011
Have you seen the aftv internal? They got darn excellent heat sink fully aluminum enough handling the heat soak absorb.

I have tested clocking over clock CPU and surprised that the heat is normal range yet hit overheat!

However I tested the benchmark yet beat the pre-rooted stock benchmark. We still tweaking like we still in baby mode

I'm talking about the heat... Sure it has a nice heatsink, but it can and will heat soak sooner or later...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    based on Stock kernel amazon 514006420 sources with just the following 2 features added:

• Overclocked to 1890MHz
    • init.d support (place files in /etc/init.d/ folder)

Since there is no known way to get into recovery with a bad kernel (yet), therefore it flashes only to the recovery partition for your safety. When you are done testing flash rbox's recovery back to the recovery partition.

prerequisites:
    rbox's unlocked bootloader
    rbox's latest recovery

instructions:

• in CWM - flash zip
    • advance -> reboot recovery

When you boot into recovery the new kernel will boot, when you boot normally your stock kernel will boot. You will not have recovery until you flash rbox's recovery again.

Flash at your own risk!
    Curious, what are the benefits of overclocking the Fire TV?

Well it is called FIRE tv... so you can hope it lives up to it's name and catch on fire... Of course it's partly joking...
    Yeah, I figured as much, but I wanted to be completely thorough before mentioning it on my site. Now that rbox's boot menu is required to update pre-rooted ROMs there's going to be a lot more people willing to try new kernels. So I want to make sure they have the right info since this will probably be the most popular custom kernel available right now.

Hopefully @jmandawg will chime in.

Yes it should work. It will not find the initd script to call but it should not complain. The thing is, I've messed with the overclock quite a bit and the performance improvements are very minimal due to thermal throttling. The higher you go the more it throttles and at some point you actually lose performance. You can mess with the throttling Temps a bit but it would take a while to tweak both the Temps and oc and keep it stable.
    Hi,

What temperatures are you guys getting?

I'm currently testing around in Fedora (see thread) and this kernel starts to throttle at 70C.

Currently recompiling to change that to 85C.
    This is also an open source implementation, so we are not sure if the temp sensors are indeed correct.

My problem is, that even at stock clock, the device throttles very quickly. More than one core at full load will result in throttling.

It has been said that the FireTV has a huge heatsink, but I think the connection to it is far from optimal. They seem to use some cheap thermal paste on the chip, then there is the metal-shielding, some more paste and then the cooler with a rather smaller surface area that goes on top of the shielding.
    So I'm really not sure how well the heat is actually going from the chip to the cooler.

I wonder if this is just me (under Fedora), or if you guys also see rather quick throttling happening?