• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KERNEL][SUNFISH][09 Apr] HolyDragon Kernel [10/STABLE][11/STABLE]

Search This thread

HolyAngel

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2008
Springfield
11 Kernel updated to match current 10 kernel, currently in testing.
photo-2020-09-09-08-29-08.jpg

Last edited:

HolyAngel

Sep 14, 2008
Springfield
Alright, went ahead and posted the 11 kernel, Development Version 1.0. This matches the 10 kernel in features and everything appears to be working fine here but need some more reports before I make and post the Release Version.

Let me know, thanks!

Cj719

Alright, went ahead and posted the 11 kernel, Development Version 1.0. This matches the 10 kernel in features and everything appears to be working fine here but need some more reports before I make and post the Release Version.

Let me know, thanks!
DV1 running well so far and I pass magisk check without the hide module.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200909-203422.png
    Screenshot_20200909-203422.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 229
  • Screenshot_20200909-203432.png
    Screenshot_20200909-203432.png
    195.8 KB · Views: 227

HolyAngel

Sep 14, 2008
Springfield
Alright, Release Version for Android 11 is posted!

Couple things with this kernel:
It is inline with all the changes from the 10 kernel, same features, setup, and toolchains. Just as stable and no issues, runs great!

That being said,
I am currently building with the android-r-beta3 FTS Touch driver as the android-11 branch driver does not allow touch to function. That being said, the r-beta3 branch driver is newer than the android-11 branch..

On a similar note if you tried to build the sunfish kernel yourself, the rmnet shs driver is broken and does not compile without fixing the last mismerge in the commit tree.

On top of those two, the stock defconfig from google in this kernel source does not line up with the modules that google is shipping with the official images/otas nor the android-11 source code (platform/device/google/sunfish-kernel). They are shipping a WIL6210.ko (kernel driver/module that our device does not use) but the defconfig in the kernel/msm android-msm-sunfish-4.14-android11 says they disabled building that driver in one of the last commits so... either they're giving out kernel source that's newer than what they have in the rom source, or vice versa, either way something is off there even if it is something that does not matter for our device.

Outside of those 3 things, the kernel is solid as far as I and any testers can tell. If you find anything, please let me know here, and I'll continue work on it for as long as we continue to get sources from Google.
Now, back to working on rom stuff, enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnC

shrapner

Jan 25, 2013
After upgrading to 11 and rooting. I downloaded the stable 11 kernel zip from here and flashed in fkm. The phone restarted but it did not flash.

So I went back into fkm but this time choosing only flash and to not reboot right away. The flash dialog only ever said getting ready to flash and nothing else. But flash successful reboot notification showed up in the notification shade. Upon reboot, the kernel was still not flashed.

Any ideas?

HolyAngel

Sep 14, 2008
Springfield
After upgrading to 11 and rooting. I downloaded the stable 11 kernel zip from here and flashed in fkm. The phone restarted but it did not flash.

So I went back into fkm but this time choosing only flash and to not reboot right away. The flash dialog only ever said getting ready to flash and nothing else. But flash successful reboot notification showed up in the notification shade. Upon reboot, the kernel was still not flashed.

Any ideas?

Which mirror did you download the kernel zip from? try downloading from other one and try again and see how it goes.

tweaked

Sep 12, 2008
Your Moms house
I am having this same issue. So I also grabbed exkm and flashed, this one worked but stuck at google logo after boot.. I reflashed 11 with the -w and booted back into my phone. I haven't figured out what is going on. I'm going to download the file on my pc and transfer it to the phone and try again since reflashing 11 with the -w is easy enough to keep troubleshooting.

Edit:
Downloaded with PC, transferred file and Same thing so far. FKM never finishing set up if I tell it to just flash. just says setting up env and then hangs. If I tell it to flash and reboot, it reboots. No change.

Last edited:

mustbevick

Nov 6, 2010
OnePlus Nord N200 5G

Any ideas?

Same thing here with FK.. flash reset nothing. I used exkm instead and it worked. Good luck.

HolyAngel

Sep 14, 2008
Springfield
Weird, I only flash with EXKM or FKM and have zero issues. Just redownloaded and flashed myself no problem.

Can you get me your build.prop? Maybe device name is slightly different or something.. Or try this new build.

Release Version 1.1

I noticed touch was slightly finicky with this 11 kernel so I've enabled Touch Offload in the driver which seems to help with that. Also building with Thin LTO currently.

shrapner

Jan 25, 2013
1.1 was a no go also. I think its because i'm still in canary channel for magisk. If i try to switch to stable i just bootloop until I reflash the rooted boot.img

shrapner

Jan 25, 2013
ok. then it just doesn't work then in FK. right now my phone says e66b0bf3 (20425) and MM version 2eb00187(299)

which yes, does give me root on android 11. I only mentioned going back to stable because it was an answer to a question I had in another thread. I was under the impression that after you are up and running, you switch back to the stable channel and only update the manager part but when I do that i don't get root permission prompts.

what I have installed, is what I'm trying to flash this kernel with through franco's manager. I'll buy exkm and try it.

EDIT. exkm works fine. I guess fkm needs an update. I was being cheap by not just buying exkm the whole time.

Thank you for your patience :)

Last edited:

tweaked

Sep 12, 2008
Your Moms house
Weird, I only flash with EXKM or FKM and have zero issues. Just redownloaded and flashed myself no problem.

Can you get me your build.prop? Maybe device name is slightly different or something.. Or try this new build.

Release Version 1.1

I noticed touch was slightly finicky with this 11 kernel so I've enabled Touch Offload in the driver which seems to help with that. Also building with Thin LTO currently.

This build flashed with no issues in Exkm. Thank you.

danbrown162

Mar 12, 2010
Working great in android 11 for me.

Just a little off topic, in theory, would it be possible to OC the pixel 4a screen like many xiamoi devices now?

I'd switch the 4a to my primary device if this were the case

:)

bobbarker2

Aug 30, 2013

Release Version 1.1

HI @HolyAngel, thank you for your work and contribution. I'm not asking these questions as a "challenge" to you or your capabilities, but rather for opening a dialogue. I understand the reason for enabling ThinLTO, but isn't it still experimental? And also not used for linux-stable. I like NathanChance's write-up about the importance of linux-stable - https://github.com/android-linux-stable/notes/blob/master/info/what-is-linux-stable.md

Also why did you decided to use Maple IO w/ 128kb read-ahead as the default IO Scheduler? Using AndroBench - I know benchmarks don't equal real world performance but they are still a relevant tool - other schedulers produces better results in the areas that matter for daily use.

Maple
Random Read: 33977 IOPS
Random Write: 35928 IOPS
SQLite Insert: 4507 QPS
SQLite Update: 3447 QPS
SQLite Delete: 4928 QPS

Zen
Random Read: 37168 IOPS
Random Write: 39103 IOPS
SQLite Insert: 4457 QPS
SQLite Update: 3645 QPS
SQLite Delete: 4897 QPS

CFQ
Random Read: 36572 IOPS
Random Write: 38607 IOPS
SQLite Insert: 4315 QPS
SQLite Update: 3526 QPS
SQLite Delete: 4686 QPS

Random Read/Write and DB performance do effect everyday usage. And I ran all these at 128KB read-ahead, when we would see different results with a larger read-ahead as our emmc is 128GB.

BBR all the way!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    H2aEUgTv.png
    Back again!

You may remember me from my SkyDragon roms/kernels and HolyDragon kernels for OP7/OP6/6T/OP3/N6/M8/M7/G3 among other devices. This is the latest sdmmagpie kernel+audio source from Google. No plans for any overclocking cpu/gpu that slowly kill your phone. No plans to upstream anything as most of the time there's either no benefit at all or it performs worse than stock. (If it was worth it, Google would have done so already). My only goal, as always, is to get the best performance *and* battery life out of our phone as possible. Kernel zip uses Anykernel3 by Osm0sis to install so no fear of losing root or ramdisk changes or anything.

~*~*Information*~*~
    Flashable Kernel zip supports only bootloader unlocked Pixel 4a's[/B]
    Kernel source is based on official Google Source Code to ensure best performance
    No user setup required - Optimal settings already applied
    Compiled with Google Clang 11.0.1(r383902)

~*~*Features*~*~
    Untainted Kernel Configured for Performance
    - Extra Debugging Disabled
    KCAL Support
    Boeffla Wakelock Blocker Built-in
    Latest WireGuard Built-In
    Touchboost Toggle Enabled
    - No user clock-speed modifications
    Most TCP Profiles Enabled
    - BBR TCP Congestion Profile set as default
    TCP Fast Open Enabled
    Power Efficient Workqueue Toggle Enabled
    - Added extra driver support (qcacld/sde/vmstat)
    Additional IO Schedulers (FIOPS/Maple/SIO/Zen)
    - Maple IO set as default
    Exfat Support
    NTFS RW Support
    Lowered some Sched and Devfreq latencies
    Multiple compiler fixes and updates
    All external/internal modules are in-lined
    No module load hacks or vendor mods
    Direct HBM Mode Toggle Added
    TWRP Support(LZMA/LZ4 Ramdisk)

~*~*Credits and Thanks*~*~
    xanaxdroid
    SultanXDA/KernelToast
    RandomBlame/Kelsirae
    Pafcholini
    MLucy
    Flar2
    MyFluxi
    DespairFactor
    FranciscoFranco
    KDrag0n
    Osm0sis
    Mauronofrio
    Joshuos
    dabug123

~*~*Downloads*~*~
    To Install :
    Make sure bootloader is unlocked
    Download this kernel zip
    Make a backup of your bootimage!
    Flash with EXKM or FKM app
    Reboot
    ??????
    Profit

For Pixel 4a on Android 11 - STABLE
    HDK_Sunfish-11_R.V.8.0

Flashable Zip
    GDrive
    Fastboot Version:
    HDK Repacked Boot Image for sunfish-RQ1A.210205.004 - February 2021

For Pixel 4a on Android 10 - STABLE
    HDK_Sunfish-10_R.V.1.1
    Flashable Zip

AFH
    GDrive

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can find changes(changelog) by looking at my posted source
    Any bug reports require logcats/dmesg, thanks!
    If you need in-depth assistance that can't easily be handled here, or you want to help with development, please check my TG Group

~*~*Donations*~*~
    If you want to donate to my coffee fund, I prefer any cryptocurrency over paypal but either is fine.
    Donate with Coinpayments
    or just use paypal, thanks!

XDA:DevDB Information
    [KERNEL][SUNFISH][02 NOV] HolyDragon Kernel [10/STABLE][11/STABLE], Kernel for the Google Pixel 4a

Contributors
    HolyAngel
    Source Code: https://gitlab.com/HolyAngel/sunfish

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 1.0
    Stable Release Date: 2020-08-31

Created 2020-08-28
    Last Updated 2020-11-03
    Alright, February kernel is posted, enjoy!
    Merged in Google Upstream, looks like a single change in kgsl and some more wlan driver updates. Also updated to latest Wireguard.
    Man I don't like this new forum.

Anyways, sorry for the delay. Kernel v5.0 is up and posted!

Changelog:
    Merged all updates from google. January had a bunch of wifi driver updates so I got those in, seeing noticeably better battery on this release. Enjoy!
    Thank you! - i am using EXKM / is that franco kernel manager ?

Yes.
    And of course since I went and checked my settings I started manipulating and playing around with it again! Haha
    I like these better: