[Kernel Test] 1113MHz overclocked, undervolted zImages for Desire. update.zips up!

Search This thread

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
edit: I recommend you get richardtrip's kernels instead (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=682419). I am probably not the best person to be releasing kernels for the desire, seeing as I have no way to properly test them. :)

Because HTC kindly released the Desire source, here are some kernels based on the OC-UV kernels that are so popular with the Nexus One. The OC'd and UV'd ones are based on pershoot's current Nexus One kernel.

WARNING: THESE TWEAKS ARE STABLE ON THE NEXUS ONE, BUT ARE NOT TESTED ON REAL HARDWARE. I HAVE LOTS OF EXPERIENCE TWEAKING THE NEXUS KERNEL, BUT I DO NOT HAVE A DESIRE. I don't know exactly how the Desire hardware will act with these tweaks, but in theory it should be the same. There is always the possibility that the Desire uses worse performing batches of the 8x50, the current kernel does not like this tweak, other hardware issues may factor in, etc. I am not responsible for any damage to your hardware, but this should not under any circumstances do permanent damage.

Do a nandroid backup first.This is imperative if you want to restore your old kernel, or else you may have to reinstall your ROM. Flash the update.zips below. I don't think you can use this kernel "temporarily," as you do not have fastboot. Perflock has been disabled in these kernels (as it is in AOSP ;)). Set the speed using SetCPU (in my sig or on the Market) or echo the values to cpufreq.

If this kernel does not boot, boot into recovery and restore your nandroid backup or reinstall your ROM. Rest easy - there should be no lasting damage to your data or hardware.

There are 3 zImages in the package, plus a folder with the relatively minor source changes.

OC-UV: frequencies added up to 1113MHz. More frequencies enabled. 950mV-1275mV. Perflock disabled.
OC only: Same as above except 1050mV-1300mV. This is more likely to work if the above kernel does not.
Stock: This is a control kernel and has no changes from stock! if this doesn't work, something is wrong during my build, and the earlier kernels not working does not indicate anything about the effectiveness of the tweak.

Installation: Here are some update.zips. Thanks to koush for the anykernel updater. Don't use these for now!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36553/update_bravo-OC.zip
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36553/update_bravo-OC-UV.zip

edit: it doesn't seem to work. I am investigating this.

zImages/source here (for devs): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36553/zImage_bravo_2.zip
Old version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36553/zImage_bravo.zip

Thanks to pershoot for the UV values and deovferreira for providing the config. I'm also interesting in tweaking the memory map of this baby, but it takes a lot more testing than this. Please PM me if you are interesting in testing.

Last edited:

mardox

Feb 2, 2010
as i understand it this kernel is the one being used on alot of N1s atm , theoretically, does this mean after installing the kernel we can directly flash a N1 rom compatible with this kernel onto our desires?

coolbho3000

Dec 26, 2008
as i understand it this kernel is the one being used on alot of N1s atm , theoretically, does this mean after installing the kernel we can directly flash a N1 rom compatible with this kernel onto our desires?

No. This is still a Desire kernel.

stingerpl

Aug 3, 2009
Warsaw
Ok, I'll try this in a moment :) Do You recommend to set the governor to 'ondemand'?
Great work with SetCPU BTW, I have a paid version for some time and love it!

StrongOneX

Jan 1, 2010
i fail... why??? :mad:

phone is in fastboot usb mode

C:\Documents and Settings\mortenv\Skrivebord\SDK>fastboot flash zimage zImage_br
avo-OC-UV
sending 'zimage' (2103 KB)... OKAY
writing 'zimage'... INFOsignature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)

C:\Documents and Settings\mortenv\Skrivebord\SDK>

coolbho3000

Dec 26, 2008
i fail... why??? :mad:

phone is in fastboot usb mode

C:\Documents and Settings\mortenv\Skrivebord\SDK>fastboot flash zimage zImage_br
avo-OC-UV
sending 'zimage' (2103 KB)... OKAY
writing 'zimage'... INFOsignature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)

C:\Documents and Settings\mortenv\Skrivebord\SDK>

You do not flash it via fastboot because your bootloader (and all Desire bootloaders) is secure... you have to use flash_image within Android.

flash_image zImage /sdcard/zImage_bravo-OC

Hang on, wait as I upload the one with auto detection support in setcpu.

Last edited:

zw4mp

Jul 6, 2009
C:\desire\pushfiles>adb-nilezon shell
# flash_image zImage /sdcard/zImage_bravo_OC-UV-2
flash_image zImage /sdcard/zImage_bravo_OC-UV-2
can't find zImage partition
#

hmm :p

coolbho3000

Dec 26, 2008
C:\desire\pushfiles>adb-nilezon shell
# flash_image zImage /sdcard/zImage_bravo_OC-UV-2
flash_image zImage /sdcard/zImage_bravo_OC-UV-2
can't find zImage partition
#

hmm :p

Sorry. De-capitalize the I in "zimage." :p flash_image zimage /sdcard/zImage_bravo_OC-UV-2

StrongOneX

Jan 1, 2010
WTF WHAT NOW?!!

C:\Documents and Settings\mortenv\Skrivebord\SDK>adb shell
# su
su
# flash_image zImage /sdcard/zImage-OC-UV-2
flash_image zImage /sdcard/zImage-OC-UV-2
flash_image: not found
#

Our Apps
Get our official app!