[KERNEL] The FrankenKernel - Voodoo Lagfix, Sound, more fixes + OC for DJ05/DL09

Search This thread

comradesven

Jan 24, 2011
So I finally got the 10 posts I need to post here and for my first post I would like to ask, when are we getting Froyo for the Fascinate? I have been waiting for so long and I would like to say that I am starting to get tiJUST KIDDING

Against the backdrop of an imminent 2.2 release, I would like to share these kernels I haxed (read: kanged) together, because nobody else did and I was lazy. Based upon jt1134's recent kernel with the Voodoo sound patch that those of us with decent headphones have been having such a ball with these days, I integrated some fixes from the codebases of some of the very talented devs who are working on this phone.

Included in all of these are the Voodoo lagfix, Voodoo sound, and SirGatez's USB fix for the phone being recognized as a CD drive (also used by Adrynalyne).

Additionally, these kernels include SirGatez's fix to disable the VZW battery check, allowing batteries for the other Galaxy S phones as well as third-party batteries to charge on the Fascinate. Although it looks like for the vast majority of us with the OEM battery, nothing has changed and everything will continue to work as it has, this is untested. While the $6 battery I got from Hong Kong for the i9000 appears to charge fine, I haven't tested charging it very much yet and I must disclaim ALL RESPONSIBILITY should there be some issue with overcharging or batteries exploding. Again, this is only a concern if you are not using a Samsung-branded battery for the Fascinate. Well, the full battery popup works with the Chinese battery I have, and the phone is no longer charging it. Probably means that the fix is good for everyone with no battery explosions. Hooray! I still disclaim ALL RESPONSIBILITY as indicated above

As with all of the kernels based on jt1134's codebase, also included is the new red Voodoo-aware Clockworkmod Recovery. BLN is supported as well.

All in all, I am really happy that all these fixes from near and far work (well, AFAIK) together. I can't think of any fix/tweak that is missing, except for some of the more hardcore things like changing around the task scheduler and memory settings that don't affect day-to-day functionality of the phone as much, but are implemented by some of the real devs out there.

Update 1/31/2011: So as people have been discovering, the 7-step OC is causing some weird problems as far as call signals dropping out and various instability issues for some people, but perhaps not for others. I have spoken to SirGatez about the issue and it is a known issue with timings and such that largely boils down to faulty Samsung code (instead of waiting for a reply when using I2C to talk to peripherals as should be the case, Samsung likes to just shove more data down the pipe, or something like that). Luckily SirGatez seems to know his **** and has almost fixed the issue already in his codebase. As it turns out, although he is on a slightly newer codebase than pretty much everyone else still building DJ05/DL09 kernels (Linux 2.26.9.6 as opposed to 2.26.9, IIRC), the fact that the exact same issues showed up in my kernel and his with the 7-step OC helps him narrow his search considerably. Glad it helped, SirGatez. ;)

For the moment, I would not recommend flashing an OC kernel - I've gone back to 1GHz myself because of the problems. I will see if his fixes are amenable to inclusion into my source tree with the view of releasing a new batch of kernels at some point in the near future.

Frankenkernel download links: (Voodoo only!)

1000MHz, 100% stock (standard) voltage settings: dropbox
1000MHz, Adrynalyne's more aggressive undervolt settings: dropbox
1200MHz, SirGatez's regular 7-speed OC settings: dropbox
1200MHz, SirGatez's undervolted OC settings: dropbox

It bears repeating that I take no responsibility for breaking anything. That said, it should all work fine, but here is an Odin package to go back to an earlier Adrynalyne-built Voodoo kernel + recovery if something breaks working on your phone. I believe this is Test6 from his current thread. dropbox This should also be useful for your after-Odin-to-stock hijinx, if you know what you're doing.

All credit should go not to me, codestealing kanger that I am, but to jt1134, Adrynalyne, SirGatez, and the other devs and users who I either stole code from, have asked lots of annoying noob questions to, or have flashed and tested my kernel. Especially SirGatez, who is apparently a decent dev, but has been toiling away in obscurity. Thanks for getting my $6 battery working, man, come say hi to the rest of us on IRC! :)

Last edited:

tripacer99

Nov 23, 2010
Orlando, Florida
quick question.

If I wanted to flash the 1200 MHz UV kernel over my current kernel (adrynalyne's 1/21 UV voodoo), would I have to do any additional steps? I mean, it should be as easy as booting into red cwm and flashing it, right? I just want to be 100% sure.

Last edited:

tapout27

Aug 14, 2009
Nashville
quick question.

If I wanted to flash the 1200 MHz undervolted kernel over my current kernel (adrynalyne's 1/21 UV voodoo), would I have to do any additional steps? I mean, it should be as easy as booting into red cwm and flashing it, right? I just want to be 100% sure.

Yes u can just flash it

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

steeeler

Feb 22, 2010
So far, very nice! I flashed the iv/ 1200 and its running smooth!

I really like the hack for the batteries. I use a couple on Hong Kongers and it was always a pain the rear to pull them out and charge separate.

Thanks!

n0yd

Feb 20, 2008
Hartford, CT
Is the uv 1200 kernel also a 7 slot?

Also, if not already done can you upgrade this to BLN 2.3+? It adds blinking capability in BLN control and the newest blinky.

Sent from my SCH-I500

comradesven

Jan 24, 2011
Is the uv 1200 kernel also a 7 slot?

Also, if not already done can you upgrade this to BLN 2.3+? It adds blinking capability in BLN control and the newest blinky.
Yes, it's a 7-slot.

I'm not sure if it's BLN 2.3+ but I just tested on Blinky. It says the enhanced BLN is not found but blinks fine when I test it. Does that mean it's not 2.3+?

rmtobler

Sep 21, 2010
SirGatez is definitely an interesting character. Seems to be in his own little world, doing his thing.

fenix37197

Feb 8, 2010
Gps

Using adrenalyns kernel, seems to have broke gps on mine. Using super clean. 4 Dl09 with the Dl09 modem.

dnoyeb

Nov 15, 2007
Auburn, AL
i know / read that the voodoo sound fix does wonders for the headphone jack listening... however, what about for bluetooth media? (not calls, but actual streaming mp3's over bluetooth to a stereo... which sucks and I want it to sound better ;) ).

anyone that has tried it and can respond, thanks.

Whitepaint

Feb 24, 2010
i know / read that the voodoo sound fix does wonders for the headphone jack listening... however, what about for bluetooth media? (not calls, but actual streaming mp3's over bluetooth to a stereo... which sucks and I want it to sound better ;) ).

anyone that has tried it and can respond, thanks.

This was the First thing I tried as I only use bluetooth headphones with my fascinate. And i can tell you that voodoo sound does nothing about the Bluetooth Audio.

ktez

Sep 30, 2010
I flashed this last night and was loving the battery life, but today I discovered that I couldn't make phone calls - when I click on the call button a box pops up that says I have no service. I flashed back to one of adrynalyne's test kernels and now it works. Just thought I'd let you know - other than that it was great tho, thank you!

BlingDynasty

Sep 27, 2008
Great!

Flashed the 1200 SV Kernel last night and I've been running great with no obvious glitches. GPS, phone calls, battery life all look good! Thanks!

CrushD

Sep 11, 2010
I've posted these details in SirGatez thread for his kernel, thought I'd share them here since it's also applicable.

When using your kernel with SirGatez' OC settings, the CPU throttling is really high, it likes to spend times at higher clock rates when at rest. My remedy to it was setting a minimum processor speed of 200 MHz, then the at rest throttling was SUPER TAME, giving the greatest resting battery life I've ever experienced with no performance issues at all.

BUT, sadly your kernel shares the exact same "No Service" bug that SirGatez' does, causing erratic loss of service that has to be waited out, Airplane Mode switch is frozen at this time. This sadly had me have to give up the 7-slot kernel. Otherwise, great experience.

ktez

Sep 30, 2010
I've posted these details in SirGatez thread for his kernel, thought I'd share them here since it's also applicable.

When using your kernel with SirGatez' OC settings, the CPU throttling is really high, it likes to spend times at higher clock rates when at rest. My remedy to it was setting a minimum processor speed of 200 MHz, then the at rest throttling was SUPER TAME, giving the greatest resting battery life I've ever experienced with no performance issues at all.

BUT, sadly your kernel shares the exact same "No Service" bug that SirGatez' does, causing erratic loss of service that has to be waited out, Airplane Mode switch is frozen at this time. This sadly had me have to give up the 7-slot kernel. Otherwise, great experience.

That's what I had - a "No Service" bug. Glad I am not alone on this one, I was really puzzled when I saw that pop up!

Redge4879

Jan 17, 2011
I want to flash the 1200 kernel but I was wondering if there is a significant difference between the regular and uv

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I finally got the 10 posts I need to post here and for my first post I would like to ask, when are we getting Froyo for the Fascinate? I have been waiting for so long and I would like to say that I am starting to get tiJUST KIDDING

Against the backdrop of an imminent 2.2 release, I would like to share these kernels I haxed (read: kanged) together, because nobody else did and I was lazy. Based upon jt1134's recent kernel with the Voodoo sound patch that those of us with decent headphones have been having such a ball with these days, I integrated some fixes from the codebases of some of the very talented devs who are working on this phone.

Included in all of these are the Voodoo lagfix, Voodoo sound, and SirGatez's USB fix for the phone being recognized as a CD drive (also used by Adrynalyne).

Additionally, these kernels include SirGatez's fix to disable the VZW battery check, allowing batteries for the other Galaxy S phones as well as third-party batteries to charge on the Fascinate. Although it looks like for the vast majority of us with the OEM battery, nothing has changed and everything will continue to work as it has, this is untested. While the $6 battery I got from Hong Kong for the i9000 appears to charge fine, I haven't tested charging it very much yet and I must disclaim ALL RESPONSIBILITY should there be some issue with overcharging or batteries exploding. Again, this is only a concern if you are not using a Samsung-branded battery for the Fascinate. Well, the full battery popup works with the Chinese battery I have, and the phone is no longer charging it. Probably means that the fix is good for everyone with no battery explosions. Hooray! I still disclaim ALL RESPONSIBILITY as indicated above

As with all of the kernels based on jt1134's codebase, also included is the new red Voodoo-aware Clockworkmod Recovery. BLN is supported as well.

All in all, I am really happy that all these fixes from near and far work (well, AFAIK) together. I can't think of any fix/tweak that is missing, except for some of the more hardcore things like changing around the task scheduler and memory settings that don't affect day-to-day functionality of the phone as much, but are implemented by some of the real devs out there.

Update 1/31/2011: So as people have been discovering, the 7-step OC is causing some weird problems as far as call signals dropping out and various instability issues for some people, but perhaps not for others. I have spoken to SirGatez about the issue and it is a known issue with timings and such that largely boils down to faulty Samsung code (instead of waiting for a reply when using I2C to talk to peripherals as should be the case, Samsung likes to just shove more data down the pipe, or something like that). Luckily SirGatez seems to know his **** and has almost fixed the issue already in his codebase. As it turns out, although he is on a slightly newer codebase than pretty much everyone else still building DJ05/DL09 kernels (Linux 2.26.9.6 as opposed to 2.26.9, IIRC), the fact that the exact same issues showed up in my kernel and his with the 7-step OC helps him narrow his search considerably. Glad it helped, SirGatez. ;)

For the moment, I would not recommend flashing an OC kernel - I've gone back to 1GHz myself because of the problems. I will see if his fixes are amenable to inclusion into my source tree with the view of releasing a new batch of kernels at some point in the near future.

Frankenkernel download links: (Voodoo only!)

1000MHz, 100% stock (standard) voltage settings: dropbox
    1000MHz, Adrynalyne's more aggressive undervolt settings: dropbox
    1200MHz, SirGatez's regular 7-speed OC settings: dropbox
    1200MHz, SirGatez's undervolted OC settings: dropbox

It bears repeating that I take no responsibility for breaking anything. That said, it should all work fine, but here is an Odin package to go back to an earlier Adrynalyne-built Voodoo kernel + recovery if something breaks working on your phone. I believe this is Test6 from his current thread. dropbox This should also be useful for your after-Odin-to-stock hijinx, if you know what you're doing.

All credit should go not to me, codestealing kanger that I am, but to jt1134, Adrynalyne, SirGatez, and the other devs and users who I either stole code from, have asked lots of annoying noob questions to, or have flashed and tested my kernel. Especially SirGatez, who is apparently a decent dev, but has been toiling away in obscurity. Thanks for getting my $6 battery working, man, come say hi to the rest of us on IRC! :)
    Sorry, this is for 2.1 and it looks like your already running the froyo kernel.... have you tried voodoo? There's really no need to OC with a voodoo kernel as all it does is kill the battery and inflate your quadrant scores. :) and its not verbatium but jt has said that before so its good enough for me :)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA Premium App