[KERNEL] [UNIFIED] Anykernel

Search This thread

Andi46

Feb 7, 2016
Vechta
@Android-Andi - THX a lot to give us an OC Kernel :victory: :D I'm using the AnyKernel-2019-04-10-13-46-espresso-OC-TEST in combo with latest SLIM6 +
Magisk on a GT-P3110. i played a lot with the OLD LADY and WOW - BEST COMBO for me and the THE REASON why it still is alive and will be
over here.
DICKES FETTES DANKE :highfive: :good:;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190507-163925.png
    Screenshot_20190507-163925.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 751
Last edited:

MarkyboyUK

Nov 4, 2013
No, but you can root your ROM and install e.g. Kernel Adiutor if you like to change voltages etc.,
but not needed if it runs stable for you by default.

Hi Andi, will the OC-UV kernel automatically use the OC frequencies without rooting and Kernel Adiutor or only if the tablet is rooted? I'm currently still running your NON OC-UV kernel (unrooted)

Thanks

Mark

Last edited:

Android-Andi

Recognized Contributor
Mar 3, 2013
andi34.github.io
hello, can I change screen colors in kernel auditor after flashing this kernel? (Is it supporting kcal?)
Thanks.
No it's not supporting kcal.
But there's a sysfs you can play around with maybe.

/sys/devices/platform/omapdss/manager[0-2]/cpr_coef
And
/sys/devices/platform/omapdss/manager[0-2]/cpr_enable

Must be something like:
echo '205 0 0 0 202 0 0 0 256' > /sys/devices/platform/omapdss/manager0/cpr_coef

echo '1' > /sys/devices/platform/omapdss/manager0/cpr_enable

Only not sure if manager0, manager1 or manager2 is used on tab 2.

Apcoolboy

Dec 2, 2014
Ahmedabad-Gujarat
No it's not supporting kcal.
But there's a sysfs you can play around with maybe.

/sys/devices/platform/omapdss/manager[0-2]/cpr_coef
And
/sys/devices/platform/omapdss/manager[0-2]/cpr_enable

Must be something like:
echo '205 0 0 0 202 0 0 0 256' > /sys/devices/platform/omapdss/manager0/cpr_coef

echo '1' > /sys/devices/platform/omapdss/manager0/cpr_enable

Only not sure if manager0, manager1 or manager2 is used on tab 2.

Hey Andi thanks for the response.
I see all 3 cpr_coef those has "0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0" values and all 3 cpr_enable has "0"

Although I tried one of them to edit like '205 0 0 0 202 0 0 0 256' and set cpr_enable to "1"
Nothing happens, also values reset to "0" after I reboot tab.

Any suggestion? should I clean flash ROM and then try to edit again?
btw, I am on your Slimkat official version with Agni kernel on. (Didn't bother to change kernel to anykernel as both are not supporting kcal. So would I change it to anykernel and then see?)

Thanks in advance. :eek:

Android-Andi

Recognized Contributor
Mar 3, 2013
andi34.github.io
Once you have a working setup/values let me know and I can make it working for you at boot.
Switching kernel wouldn't change anything. Stay on the kernel you are on.

Don't forget: it's example values, you can modify them.

Edit:
Not sure if Agni kernel supports it to be true.
Official slimkat is not supported by my kernel, you can use one of my ROMs if you like.

Depending on the ROM sepolicy might be missing for it, you can set selinux to permissive for testing.

Last edited:

Apcoolboy

Dec 2, 2014
Ahmedabad-Gujarat
Once you have a working setup/values let me know and I can make it working for you at boot.
Switching kernel wouldn't change anything. Stay on the kernel you are on.

Don't forget: it's example values, you can modify them.

Edit:
Not sure if Agni kernel supports it to be true.
Official slimkat is not supported by my kernel, you can use one of my ROMs if you like.

Depending on the ROM sepolicy might be missing for it, you can set selinux to permissive for testing.
Thanks,

Ya got it, Thats example values and can be modified. Let me clean flash one of your ROM that supports anykernel. And then I will try myself. If nothing happen, let you know. Thanks for the help.:eek:

Android-Andi

Recognized Contributor
Mar 3, 2013
andi34.github.io
You can also try on Agni setting selinux to permissive. If it has no effect you can try one of my latest ROMs. Have never used the interface, but I know it works like this on tuna.
No need to flash anykernel on latest ROMs, only if you need OC. Else latest kernel source is always used.

Apcoolboy

Dec 2, 2014
Ahmedabad-Gujarat
You can also try on Agni setting selinux to permissive. If it has no effect you can try one of my latest ROMs. Have never used the interface, but I know it works like this on tuna.
No need to flash anykernel on latest ROMs, only if you need OC. Else latest kernel source is always used.
Hey, It is impossible for me to edit cpr_coef and cpr_enable values whatever I do. Edited values not saving and reset as soon as I close the file.

I tried it on your unified slim6 rom. When I flash anykernel on it, device is not booting up so I decided going with stock kernel. As stock kernel is Enforcing, I used universal Init.d app for making it permissive at boot. Now SELinux is permissive and I tried to edit those values, it somehow reset. Also tried editing with 0777 permission, still reset. Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance :)

Apcoolboy

Dec 2, 2014
Ahmedabad-Gujarat
No quick idea. But you might find a solution playing with it.

About kernel not booting: make sure using the right one ;)
There's different kernel depending on ROM age.
Thanks man for your help. After scratching my head for few hours, I succeeded. I tried many root explorer yet none was capable of editing cpr_coef file don't know why. Also tried to edit build.prop to see if tab is proper rooted and root explorer works well and indeed it works with build.prop. Once I was trying to make flashable zip that replace cpr_coef file. But it gives me more errors than success.

And finally I managed to cpr_coef with solid explorer (what a simple solution and funny others didn't works). Now I can change RGB values, I know that tab lcd isn't going to look like amoled display but still can calibrate colors which suits best.

Also, tab 2 is using MANAGER2. Now only problem is, it reset back to 0 at boot. There may be some scripts that runs at boot that can solve this right?

I really appreciate your works man. Because of you there are hundreds tab 2 still alive out there. :)

Manifredo

Nov 16, 2019
Hello Andi,

thanks a lot for your work with the old espresso-tablet.
First, I wanted to buy a new tablet after the espressowifi got sooo damn slow, it never has been a rocket, even 6 years ago.

Then I first tried to install Lineage OS 14 on it, after getting some information about the installation, because I never had done such thing before.
I was satisfied after getting it work, but it still lacked of some more performance.
Finally I found this thread and I installed the custom rom you created with getting my old espressowifi to work @1,35GHz. And it felt like having a newer tablet, wow !!!
It runs stable at this frequency and I want to get a little more now.

In Post # 205 you offered some Zip Files to download, including the last one with the title android_kernel_ti_omap4-OC-Patches
I extracted the file and found, it includes several files with the ".patch"-ending.
Sorry for my silly question, but how do I get one of these Patch-files work on my tablet.
I want to use the patch named "0003-espresso-overclock-limit-maximum-frequency-1.42GHz". Maybe my tablet still runs stable at this frequency, I want to give it a try.

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Kind regards
Manifredo

Android-Andi

Recognized Contributor
Mar 3, 2013
andi34.github.io
Hello Andi,

thanks a lot for your work with the old espresso-tablet.

First, I wanted to buy a new tablet after the espressowifi got sooo damn slow, it never has been a rocket, even 6 years ago.

Then I first tried to install Lineage OS 14 on it, after getting some information about the installation, because I never had done such thing before.

I was satisfied after getting it work, but it still lacked of some more performance.

Finally I found this thread and I installed the custom rom you created with getting my old espressowifi to work @1,35GHz. And it felt like having a newer tablet, wow !!!

It runs stable at this frequency and I want to get a little more now.

In Post # 205 you offered some Zip Files to download, including the last one with the title android_kernel_ti_omap4-OC-Patches

I extracted the file and found, it includes several files with the ".patch"-ending.

Sorry for my silly question, but how do I get one of these Patch-files work on my tablet.

I want to use the patch named "0003-espresso-overclock-limit-maximum-frequency-1.42GHz". Maybe my tablet still runs stable at this frequency, I want to give it a try.

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Kind regards

Manifredo
You'll have to apply these patches to your kernel source and compile one yourself.

Another solution would be to read earlier posts and find one working on your ROM. Make sure to read the compatibly notes on each posted kernel.

Rataplan626

Feb 7, 2006
Tab 2 10.1 p5110. I have replaced this tablets years ago, but I wanted to revive it for connecting it to the amp in my garage / workshop. Of course stockrom was unusable. I flashed your Lineage 14.1 (first cm13 but that ran worse).
I wanted a bit more juice so I installed the latest oc anykernel. Slow as hell. It turns out core 2 always at 100%. I let it run for a few to l hours, thinking it had to build caches or something, but core 2 remains at 100%.
Then I installed the p5110 specific non-oc kernel, same issue. Using top from a shell, I find system being the process that generated most load.

Reflashed Lineage 14.1 to get that original kernel back and with that the cpu is fine but if course limited to 1GHz.

I flashed open gapps pico, to have Google play, and the Lineage root package. Within Android I installed YouTube, nothing else. So I can't say I've got excessive apps.

So it seems the anykernel hogs my cpu. Any logs I could supply? One note, my back camera is defective. Starting camera shows a message like unable to connect to camera (same with stock firmware).
Would a dmesg or logcat help in this?

[edit]
never mind. I let it run for a whole night, and this morning it settled down. I now can't reproduce that issue anymore, with either kernel. Probably it was still rebuilding some stuff, even if that took hours, which seems strange. Anyway, everything fine now. Thanks!

[edit2]
Ah, when I use the undervolt kernel, everything is fine and runs quite well on 1.3GHz. When I use the regular OC kernel, core2 keeps running at 100%, as well as with the non-OC anykernel. So if anyone runs into this, try the OC-UV kernel, it might work for you.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020
Hey Andi,
I would like to clarify that I am a newbie. This is the first time I am trying to compile a kernel. I want to compile the OC kernel.

I tried compiling the kernel according to your updated post #3 (the github links). Well the problem is I neither have a linux environment nor a 64x machine to support git and repo.
There is a strike through for the previous instructions which means I am clearly not supposed to follow them.

So what should I do? Is is any other way?

Please help.

Regards.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ANYKERNEL
    espressowifi / espresso3g

Please respect the following 2 points

• No feature requests!
    • Overclocked Kernel can be found here
    NOTE:
    This product is provided "as is" without any warranty. Use on your own risk.
    I am not responsible for burned CPU or GPU.

Any kind of OC is really dangerous on Galaxy Tab2. While OMAP 4460 has a built-in temperature sensor, OMAP 4430 doesn't have one. Nothing stops it from overheating...

If you don't read and respect the OP, you accept to make a donation of 50$ to a charity of your choice!
    [#WARRANTY]

It is difficult to update all Roms frequently, and it does not always makes sense to compile, download and flash a whole rom, if only some kernel changes are applied.

This kernel will include changes before i add them official to our kernel source (most of the time security bugfixes)!
    Android 5.1 and Android 6.0
    This Kernel works on all Android 5.1 and Android 6.0 Roms for espressowifi and espresso3g.

Android 4.4
    On Android 4.4 we need a different kernel, 4.4 Kernel includes "KitKat" tag on zip name.

What else to say
    • Kernel compiled using GCC 4.8
    • Anykernel based on Anykernel2 by @osm0sis ( https://github.com/osm0sis/AnyKernel2 ) - it will dump your boot.img and replace the zImage and add proper kernel modules.

Roms with default libion
    LineageOS (unofficial)
    espresso3g
    • lineage-11-20180131-2053-UNOFFICIAL-espresso3g.zip and newer
    • lineage-13.0_espresso3g-6.0.1-20180130-2211.zip and newer
    • lineage-14.1_espresso3g-7.1.2-20180131-1859.zip and newer
    espressowifi
    • lineage-11-20180131-2033-UNOFFICIAL-espressowifi.zip and newer
    • lineage-13.0_espressowifi-6.0.1-20180130-2146.zip and newer
    • lineage-14.1_espressowifi-7.1.2-20180131-1818.zip and newer

OmniRom (unofficial)
    espresso3g
    • omni_espresso3g-4.4.4-20180127-2337.zip and newer
    • omni_espresso3g-6.0.1-20180128-0312.zip and newer
    • omni_espresso3g-7.1.2-20180128-1319.zip and newer
    espressowifi
    • omni_espressowifi-4.4.4-20180127-2310.zip and newer
    • omni_espressowifi-6.0.1-20180128-0251.zip and newer
    • omni_espressowifi-7.1.2-20180128-1254.zip and newer

SlimRoms (unofficial)
    espresso3g
    • Slim-espresso3g-4.4.4.build.9.15-UNOFFICIAL-20180128-0125.zip and newer
    • Slim_espresso3g-6.0.1-20180128-2332.zip and newer
    • Slim_espresso3g-7.1.2-20180131-1617.zip and newer
    espressowifi
    • Slim-espressowifi-4.4.4.build.9.15-UNOFFICIAL-20180128-0028.zip and newer
    • Slim_espressowifi-6.0.1-20180128-2308.zip and newer
    • Slim_espressowifi-7.1.2-20180131-1555.zip and newer

Unlegacy-Android:
    All official Unlegacy-Android builds starting on 15th feburary use the default libion

Roms with new DDK
    Slim6 , Slim7, OmniROM4, OmniROM 6, OmniROM 7 and LineageOS 11, LineageOS 13 and LineageOS 14.1 compiled after 01.03.2019

[#DONATETOME]

XDA:DevDB Information
    (unified) Anykernel, Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Contributors
    Android-Andi, Ziyan
    Source Code: https://github.com/Unlegacy-Android/android_kernel_ti_omap4/commits/3.0/common

Kernel Special Features: Testing before applying on our source official, CVE fixes

Version Information

Created 2016-10-21
    Last Updated 2020-05-02
    Update
    • cve-2015-0565
    • cve-2016-8655
    • cve-2015-8966
    • cve-2014-8709
    • cve-2014-9420
    • cve-2016-10044
    • cve-2016-10088
    • cve-2015-8019
    • cve-2016-10208
    • cve-2016-1583
    • cve-2016-6786 & cve-2016-6787
    • cve-2016-9754
    • cve-2016-9794
    • cve-2016-9793
    Fixes CVE-2017-0706 and CVE-2017-1000251
    Since this community can't be silent about OC for Tab2 i've picked OC changes from @ketut.kumajaya to our new common kernel.
    Applied OC Patches have been very well tested in the past on our old kernel.
    • Needed patch files are attached if you like to compile your own kernel.
    • I've kept authorship on all commits, also i've kept Authorship and notes inside Voltage Control code.
    • not applied undervolting on default frequencies

Limitations:
    • Limit maximum CPU frequency @ 1.35GHz , GPU @ 384 Mhz

NOTE:
    This product is provided "as is" without any warranty. Use on your own risk.
    I am not responsible for burned CPU or GPU.

Any kind of OC is really dangerous on Galaxy Tab2. While OMAP 4460 has a built-in temperature sensor, OMAP 4430 doesn't have one. Nothing stops it from overheating...

• This will be a "one-time-only" kernel.
    • It's compatible with my ROMs compiled since March 2019
      (Should work on my Slim6 + 7, Omni 6 + 7 and LineageOS 13 + 14.1 compiled after 01.03.2019.
      Special KitKat Kernel attached which should work on my SlimKat, Omni 4 and LineageOS 11 compiled after 01.03.2019).
      • don't use it on older ROMs
      • don't use on ROMs i haven't compiled

You need root and an app like Kernel Adiutor to enable GPU 384 Mhz frequency.
    CPU will work up to 1.35 GHz without root.
    Code:
    $ adb shell cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/UV_mV_table
    1350mhz: 1360 mV
    1200mhz: 1325 mV
    1008mhz: 1388 mV
    800mhz: 1325 mV
    600mhz: 1200 mV
    300mhz: 1025 mV

I've quickly tested the kernel on Slim6.

Edit:
    attached another version ("OC-TEST-UV") with undervolting on default frequencies
    Code:
    $ adb shell cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/UV_mV_table
    1350mhz: 1360 mV
    1200mhz: 1325 mV
    1008mhz: 1274 mV
    800mhz: 1213 mV
    600mhz: 1100 mV
    300mhz: 925 mV

And a 3rd version with undervolting on default frequencies and GPU @ 384 Mhz by default ("OC-TEST-UV-GPUOC")
    One more update.
    • updates to dsscomp & dss/manager,
    • enabled ColorControl for tuna
    • enable BFQ-v7r8 I/O scheduler

Why there's 2 Kernels?
    • 1st kernel use BFQ-v7r8 I/O scheduler for 3.0 kernel
    • 2nd kernel uses BFQ-v7r8 I/O scheduler for 3.3 kernel - needs a bunch of backports from 3.3 kernel to work (would be good if we don't need them)
    I have never added BFQ scheduler on espresso because it was always buggy (crashes frequently, e.g. if you switch from bfq to anything else after boot)
    Only added for testing. - if it works well, we can discuss to add it by default.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone