[KERNEL][VM/PRIMOC][ICS:Sense] FOTA-Compatible Sick Kernel

Search This thread

SuperJMan2

May 9, 2013
West Park
Only need to flash the boot.img

Sent from my hTC One V.

I flashed it and bluetooth still does not work. The same as before, it can only pair but can't send/receive.
Also, there is no charging status. As a matter of fact nothing changed. I am using x3reme Sense v5 after getting soft bricked because of the hboot update. I have been using it for a while and don't even feel like switching, not even from my mid version to lite version.

Last edited:

-Duir-

Feb 13, 2012
California
OnePlus 6T
Ok so I'd like to collect some information on this Bluetooth issue, but going to need help from people using this kernel. I need information from anyone using it, not just those with Bluetooth issues. So, anyone whose willing (and using the kernel in this thread) please reply answering the following questions:

1) Are you experiencing issues with Bluetooth?

2) Are you using the new hboot and radio or just the new radio?

3) What ROM(s) have you tried it with?

4) For those who have Bluetooth issues: please explain your problems in as much detail as possible. Also, do have problems with any Bluetooth device, or just certain ones (i.e. works with headsets, but not in-car setups).

Reactions: russellvone

russellvone

Jan 26, 2013
Gilmer
I'll test tomorrow (today) all day and reply later this evening sometime close to midnight

Sent from my DROID4

robaho

Oct 18, 2012
Tried it with x3sense. Seems to pair with all devices but not communicate, or be very sporadic. Making it barely usable for things like file transfers to a computer, and completely unusable for audio. Tried with a bt headset and a car hookup.

Sent from my HTC One V using xda app-developers app

SuperJMan2

May 9, 2013
West Park
Tried it with x3sense. Seems to pair with all devices but not communicate, or be very sporadic. Making it barely usable for things like file transfers to a computer, and completely unusable for audio. Tried with a bt headset and a car hookup.

I have the exact same situation as robaho, only tried it with one device. I have new hboot and radio.

tintguy

Oct 27, 2011
Pensacola
Any progress on the bluetooth issue being fixed?. Currently I'm running myOne9.5+ with x3reme roms boot.img flashed so bluetooth will work but I would like to use this FOTA compatible Sickkernel because of the ability to overcock.:confused:

lilrob1213

Dec 20, 2011
Google Pixel 6
Google Pixel 7
how do u update the hboot and radio?

You can follow this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1705484 basically you revert back to stock, check for updates in about phone or something and apply the first update, but I'd HIGHLY recommend NOT applying the second update (73mb) because it updates your hboot (which at this time helps us in no way) and there is no RUU compatible with that hboot so you would be stuck on the new radio and hboot (bad if you get bricked) so just do the first update (which updates your radio) :)

SuperJMan2

May 9, 2013
West Park
My phone is having weather sync problems where it stays on a city after I have left that city.

Westnile

Jul 1, 2012
Would this kernel work with this?
Bah can't attach a ss but here's my hboot 1.57
Radio 1.00.5.0808

Not sure if I should OTA as its telling me there's updates or not just want a kernel that let's me set min max io etc again

Edit: forgot to mention I'm on cricket

Another edit here's a ss I'm still tryin to figure out which kernel regardless of bugs will work for gov io etc on this an let me fix allot of the dang hang ups.

hugy2u6y.jpg

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

demoport

Dec 29, 2012
So, I found a little workaround on how to get bluetooth to work with this kernel.

Like the rest of you, I have updated to the latest HBoot and I am forced to either stick with the stock kernel or use this kernel and lose bluetooth.

The problem with this kernel seems to be that it is not able to connect to my bluetooth devices (headset and car's bluetooth) So, I've conducted a little experiment. I went back to the stock kernel and connected both my bluetooth headset and car's bluetooth successfully. I then went back to fastboot and installed this kernel, and both my bluetooth headsets and car's bluetooth are working.

It seems that this kernel has a hard time obtaining bluetooth connectivity so, using the stock kernel to obtain bluetooth information and then installing this kernel seems to do the trick.

Hope this helps somebody out there.

Edit: This bluetooth trick only seems to work correctly with my headset. The car's bluetooth connects but the audio still comes out of the phone.

Last edited:

demoncamber

Jan 20, 2012
Is this kernel still recommended to be used on latest One V's if you're trying to stay on stock rom?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks to simonsimons34 we now have a kernel compatible with Virgin Mobile's recent FOTAs (new radio and new hboot) AND supports overclocking!! :cool:
    This kernel is for Sense-based ICS ROMs, however one for AOSP-based ICS ROMs (i.e. CM9) can be found in this post.
    In fact, this is the exact same kernel - I just used the RAMDISK from Virgin's most recent FOTA to make it compatible with Sense-based ROMs.
    So, if you use it, PLEASE give Simon a thanks in the post I linked.

What the FOTA?!?
    Firmware Over-the-Air (FOTA) is used for upgrades to mobile phones and tablet computers. The feature goes by several names including Software Update, Firmware Update or Device Management. Originally, firmware updates to a device required visiting a specific service center, with every mobile brand having their own service center. Another method of receiving updates has been by connecting the device via a cable to a PC. Both of these methods were considered inconvenient by consumers and also relied on consumers actively seeking out updates. Therefore the majority of mobile device manufacturers and operators have now adopted FOTA technology for their handsets. If the mobile device has FOTA capability, firmware updates are issued directly "over the air" from the mobile phone service provider to the device. FOTA also allows manufacturers and operators to "push out" firmware upgrades to ensure that mobile consumers have the latest software improvements, which reduces potential customer support costs and increases consumer satisfaction.

From Wikipedia

Instructions for flashing (kernel only)
    Download attached boot.img
    Flash boot.img in fastboot "fastboot flash boot boot.img"​

Instructions for flashing (ROM & kernel)
    • Follow the instructions of the Sense-based ICS ROM you want to install with the following amendment:
      1. When flashing the boot.img in fastboot, use the one attached.

Credits and Thanks:
    • simonsimons34: for compiling the kernel and implementing the necessary changes to make it support VM's updates. (Basically all the heavy lifting) You ROCK!
    • russellvone: for testing and supplying the updated modules from the FOTA.
    • All the people developing for this device: You're why we're here.

Known Issues*
    • Bluetooth is spotty at best and won't always pair with devices.
    • Phone won't display "Charging" status when plugged in (though it will actually charge)

Changelog
    • 5/07/2013: Rebuilt Kernel+Ramdisk so it no longer needs a flashable ZIP (thanks again to Simon for the instructions). :)
    • 5/02/2013: First Release

*Important Notes
    This Kernel is essentially provided "as-is".
    Fixing the items under known issues would essentially require someone who possess the knowledge recompiling the kernel from source and I do not possess that knowledge.
    This is simply a port of the AOSP kernel Simon made for this device to be usable on Sense ROMs and those issues could exist in both kernels or just simply be caused by "porting" the kernel.

@demoport has posted a work-around for the Bluetooth issue in this thread. It can be found here.​
    I'm doing some play testing right now with the kernel and different ROMs and running stock, once done I'll post full findings.

I just ran the RUU and flashed the kernel to see what happens.
    I gotta say, was rather surprised by them.

Charging Status: Working
    Bluetooth: Working

2013-05-10_17-58-37_zps7a5daab0.png

Also after using myOneV for so long now it was nice to see that 3G icon again - oh how I've missed you. :laugh:
    (Can't see it in the pic as I was testing to make sure Wi-Fi worked.)

Would you be able to put the .zip back up again? I think there might be some modules in the .zip that are needed to get bluetooth working correctly. With this kernel, I can get the head unit in my car to pair, but it will never connect. I've tried it with both the myOneV and x3reme Sense v5 ROMs.

Both of those ROMs do connect fine with bluetooth if I use the OTA kernel and modules from the x3reme Sense v5 ROM, but I prefer being able to overclock with this kernel, and choose a governor other than ondemand.

Attached to this post as requested, please let me know your results.
    46 downloads on the flashable zip and no comments? I'm gonna take that as a good thing LOL :victory:

OP has been updated. Hopefully removed the need for a flashable zip, just fastboot flash the boot.img. If for some reason it's not working like it was/should let me know, I'll put the original flashable zip back.
    So, I found a little workaround on how to get bluetooth to work with this kernel.

Like the rest of you, I have updated to the latest HBoot and I am forced to either stick with the stock kernel or use this kernel and lose bluetooth.

The problem with this kernel seems to be that it is not able to connect to my bluetooth devices (headset and car's bluetooth) So, I've conducted a little experiment. I went back to the stock kernel and connected both my bluetooth headset and car's bluetooth successfully. I then went back to fastboot and installed this kernel, and both my bluetooth headsets and car's bluetooth are working.

It seems that this kernel has a hard time obtaining bluetooth connectivity so, using the stock kernel to obtain bluetooth information and then installing this kernel seems to do the trick.

Hope this helps somebody out there.

Edit: This bluetooth trick only seems to work correctly with my headset. The car's bluetooth connects but the audio still comes out of the phone.
    I've been running this kernel/modules combination since you first asked me to test and its absolutely been stable for all the hard usage i put my phone through.
    Thanks a million simonsimons34 and
    -Duir-