• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Kernel][VS995][10b] reStock - a stock based kernel for V20 VZW V1.4 2018-03-05

Search This thread

BackCheck

Mar 15, 2014
OK, here I go. I started this for self edification and to get my Version V20 on a stable kernel with no static on boot. I started out with the open source from LG for the VS995, in this case 10b. I figured this would be the best starting point and it seemed to work well. From there added what was missing from other kernels that I needed. I figured I'd share the results. I may add more features, governors, I/O schedulers, KCAL possibly, etc. at a later date. I'll take feature requests but the goal is to keep it simple and stable and I'm not much above a novice when it comes to tinkering with the kernel so bear with me.

I don't plan on supporting other variants and don't know if this kernel would work on any other variants.

Features so far:
No static on boot.
exFAT support
LZ4 kernel compression
Remove verifiedbootstate flag patch
KCAL support
Noop, Deadline, CFQ, FIOPS, SIO, BFQ and Zen I/O schedulers
Cubic, Reno, BIC, DCTCP, Westwood, Highspeed, Hybla, HTCP, Vegas, Scalable, LP, Yeah and Illinois TCP congestion control algorithms
ElementalX, Blu_active CPU governors
Adrenoboost (from @flar2)
RCTD, CCMD, and Triton removal (based off of the script from @Zacharee1)
WireGuard VPN

Changelog

V1.4 3/5/18
Added WireGuard (thanks (again) to @poixninja for this one)

V1.3 - 12/8/17
Added Adrenoboost GPU boost
Added RCTD, CCMD and Triton removal script to installer

V1.2 - 3/29/17
Added ElementalX and Blu_active CPU governors

V1.1 - 2/28/17
Added FIOPS, SIO, BFQ and Zen I/O schedulers
Added DCTCP, Westwood, Highspeed, Hybla, HTCP, Vegas, Scalable, LP, Yeah and Illinois TCP congestion control algorithms
Added KCAL support (thanks to @poixninja for this one)

V1.0 - 2/14/17
Initial release

Note on installing: I recomment using TWRP 3.2.0-0 for the vs995 to install this kernel. The 3.1.1-0 version generic 'elsa' release does not work for flashing some custome kernels, including this one. TWRP 3.0.2-1 for the us996 will also work.

Latest stable version download
VS995 reStock v1.4

XDA:DevDB Information
reStock VS995, Kernel for the LG V20

Contributors
BackCheck, poixninja
Source Code: https://github.com/DigitalDeviant/VS995_reStock

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.3
Stable Release Date: 2017-12-08

Created 2017-02-14
Last Updated 2017-12-08

Last edited:

Biff627

Dec 19, 2013
Wow! Glad to see someone doing this! I am currently using the konverged kernel just because of how well managed it is and what It has. Im unsure if its possible, but do you mind looking at what it has and see if you could port those things to this kernel? I have no knowledge of how to do this or id already have done it. The battery life itself makes that kernel amazing. But it has the static boot :/

Edit- I'll most likely test it here soon! Currently can't but I'll get to it xD

Last edited:

viper_1315

Apr 25, 2016
Wow good job man, I'll test it out and see whats up. Thanks

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Ok just flashed it to my phone, but now my phone wont boot up.

Reactions: Miilliiee

BackCheck

Mar 15, 2014
Wow! Glad to see someone doing this! I am currently using the konverged kernel just because of how well managed it is and what It has. Im unsure if its possible, but do you mind looking at what it has and see if you could port those things to this kernel? I have no knowledge of how to do this or id already have done it. The battery life itself makes that kernel amazing. But it has the static boot :/

Edit- I'll most likely test it here soon! Currently can't but I'll get to it xD

If there is any difference it may be in some core control code. See if you can give me some sort of ballpark guess at how much of a difference there is between the two and I'll look into if I can implement it.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

It works on 3 V20s I've tested it on so this is the first failure I've encountered. I guess we'll start with the basics. What screen does it die on? Are you on a VS995 or another variant? What rom are you using, I've only had stock to test?

Biff627

Dec 19, 2013
If there is any difference it may be in some core control code. See if you can give me some sort of ballpark guess at how much of a difference there is between the two and I'll look into if I can implement it.
Well I'm just meaning the things that is has implemented into it. I couldnt even give you a ballpark guess on how different they are sadly. I have no idea how to edit kernels for that matter. If its too much trouble then idk xD Sorry for bothering you then lol

BackCheck

Mar 15, 2014
Well I'm just meaning the things that is has implemented into it. I couldnt even give you a ballpark guess on how different they are sadly. I have no idea how to edit kernels for that matter. If its too much trouble then idk xD Sorry for bothering you then lol

I'll certainly look into it and do what I can. I'm also looking at I/O schedulers and possibly governors to get better battery life/performance but my goal is to make sure I don't break anything. I'm learning a lot on the fly here so be patient. Battery life seems OK so I don't want to jump into things too quickly. I only had my device and 2 others briefly to test it on and then I'm pretty sure there is a lot that hasn't been tested.

Biff627

Dec 19, 2013
I'll certainly look into it and do what I can. I'm also looking at I/O schedulers and possibly governors to get better battery life/performance but my goal is to make sure I don't break anything. I'm learning a lot on the fly here so be patient. Battery life seems OK so I don't want to jump into things too quickly. I only had my device and 2 others briefly to test it on and then I'm pretty sure there is a lot that hasn't been tested.

Yea no worries! The konverged kernel might have those. I get like 16+ on debloated and greenify governing and 12+ without it so it must have something like what you are looking for. Currently I have a VS996 on Weta US996 with the konverged kernel. So I will test this one out as soon as possible.

Biff627

Dec 19, 2013

Do you by any chance have su hide flashed? I had the same thing occur to me while updating my kernel and rom. If su hide was installed and the kernel got changed, it would refuse to boot. Just a suggestion if you do have it installed, I advise to uninstalling it first.

viper_1315

Apr 25, 2016
Ok so not sure if i did something wrong but for some reason this kernel wouldn't boot up for me. I was on NRD90M Modded NotSoStock Rom for the vs995 with the Konverged Kernel. I did a clean flash and restored my backup from TWRP and reflashed the new kernel but no dice. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Do you by any chance have su hide flashed? I had the same thing occur to me while updating my kernel and rom. If su hide was installed and the kernel got changed, it would refuse to boot. Just a suggestion if you do have it installed, I advise to uninstalling it first.
Yeah I do have SU hide installed. I'll try deleting it. Thanks

Biff627

Dec 19, 2013
Ok so not sure if i did something wrong but for some reason this kernel wouldn't boot up for me. I was on NRD90M Modded NotSoStock Rom for the vs995 with the Konverged Kernel. I did a clean flash and restored my backup from TWRP and reflashed the new kernel but no dice. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Yeah I do have SU hide installed. I'll try deleting it. Thanks

Su Hide repacks your boot.img (kernel) so half of it would be installed and the system wouldnt be able to boot properly. So installing a new kernel with su hide already installed will just cause a bootloop.

BackCheck

Mar 15, 2014
You should be able to reflash su hide! Just make sure to uninstall it before switch to another kernel!

Thanks for helping troubleshoot this. I have not had time to test and root cloaking although I was asked to put in the patch to bypass the SafetyNet CTS test by a friend who hasn't reported if it even worked or not. It's on my list of things to try, I'd like to use Android Pay, but I have other things I want to get to first.

I sure hope you go the long-haul on developing this kernel. VS995 sorely needs some love lol

In for a penny in for a pound as I always say... or at least when I'm using a fake accent to try to pick up chicks. Anyway, I own a V20 and will probably have the device for a while. Unless something happens to it or other developers can put more effort into it, I'll do what I need to to get my device to work as I want it. Beyond that I am open to suggestions.

Reactions: bond32

dwertz

Aug 22, 2007
By chance have you seen anything missing in the kernel preventing Wi-Fi calling? Mine says Wi-Fi calling is on but when you place the phone in airplane mode and turn on Wi-Fi it says can not make call in airplane mode.

Sent from my VS995 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

BackCheck

Mar 15, 2014
By chance have you seen anything missing in the kernel preventing Wi-Fi calling? Mine says Wi-Fi calling is on but when you place the phone in airplane mode and turn on Wi-Fi it says can not make call in airplane mode.

Sent from my VS995 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

I believe you just need to go back into your settings and re-enable wifi, airplane mode disables it by default. I tested wifi calling this way was tested and it should work fine.

dwertz

Aug 22, 2007
I believe you just need to go back into your settings and re-enable wifi, airplane mode disables it by default. I tested wifi calling this way was tested and it should work fine.

I have done that, I turn on airplane mode, turn on wifi and try to make a call and it says it can not call in airplane mode. Stock it would make the call and show its in WiFi calling

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, here I go. I started this for self edification and to get my Version V20 on a stable kernel with no static on boot. I started out with the open source from LG for the VS995, in this case 10b. I figured this would be the best starting point and it seemed to work well. From there added what was missing from other kernels that I needed. I figured I'd share the results. I may add more features, governors, I/O schedulers, KCAL possibly, etc. at a later date. I'll take feature requests but the goal is to keep it simple and stable and I'm not much above a novice when it comes to tinkering with the kernel so bear with me.

I don't plan on supporting other variants and don't know if this kernel would work on any other variants.

Features so far:
    No static on boot.
    exFAT support
    LZ4 kernel compression
    Remove verifiedbootstate flag patch
    KCAL support
    Noop, Deadline, CFQ, FIOPS, SIO, BFQ and Zen I/O schedulers
    Cubic, Reno, BIC, DCTCP, Westwood, Highspeed, Hybla, HTCP, Vegas, Scalable, LP, Yeah and Illinois TCP congestion control algorithms
    ElementalX, Blu_active CPU governors
    Adrenoboost (from @flar2)
    RCTD, CCMD, and Triton removal (based off of the script from @Zacharee1)
    WireGuard VPN

Changelog

V1.4 3/5/18
    Added WireGuard (thanks (again) to @poixninja for this one)

V1.3 - 12/8/17
    Added Adrenoboost GPU boost
    Added RCTD, CCMD and Triton removal script to installer

V1.2 - 3/29/17
    Added ElementalX and Blu_active CPU governors

V1.1 - 2/28/17
    Added DCTCP, Westwood, Highspeed, Hybla, HTCP, Vegas, Scalable, LP, Yeah and Illinois TCP congestion control algorithms

V1.0 - 2/14/17
    Initial release

Note on installing: I recomment using TWRP 3.2.0-0 for the vs995 to install this kernel. The 3.1.1-0 version generic 'elsa' release does not work for flashing some custome kernels, including this one. TWRP 3.0.2-1 for the us996 will also work.

Latest stable version download
    VS995 reStock v1.4

XDA:DevDB Information
    reStock VS995, Kernel for the LG V20

Contributors
    BackCheck, poixninja
    Source Code: https://github.com/DigitalDeviant/VS995_reStock

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.3
    Stable Release Date: 2017-12-08

Created 2017-02-14
    Last Updated 2017-12-08
    V1.1 Released

V1.1 - 2/28/17

Download reStock V1.1
    Just to let anyone keeping track know, I'm testing the patches that move core control to the kernel. They seem to be in most custom kernels for the MSM8996 so I'm not too worried this will break anything. I did a decent stress test of battery life last night before I updated and it seems to be pretty good. I hope these patches will make it even better. I might release a test version at some point to get more feedback.

If all goes well I guess I may add the Zen IO scheduler next to see how that affects battery life and performance. Unless anyone has any better suggestions, which I'm still open to.
    Sorry, for the late replay on all of these. A heavy workload at the day job and some work on other devices had me preoccupied.

How different between VS995/S/SS ?I see 3 devices in lg kernel source list .THX

As far as I know they are just revisions of the same code base, bug and security fixes probably. I think the SS is the most recent and that's what this kernel is based off of.

The LG v20 -Verizon , with the locked bootloader from hell and the convoluted, confounding, inaccurate, dated, sloppy explanations, that don't show a clear path - has been difficult, to say the least. Your lovely kernel worked quickly - with a little help from the Internet and titanium backup. Acore flashed repeatedly making several apps inoperable so, following directions I wiped contact storage with tb and within 1 minute- I've got a 100% functioning Rom, 1 week later. This last part with your kernel, that truly worked for me, pushes me to PayPal. Thanks are wonderful but money is what counts!

I appreciate the support but I don't really take donations. There are plenty of other devs who probably could use the cash but if you really feel like it, a donation to the Red Cross or any of the other groups offering aid to Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico and the Caribbean islands would make me happy. My day job involves satellite communications and we've been dealing a lot in that area lately and I can't stress how much they need any help they can get right now.

And as for the status of this project, I finally have a build environment set back up. I've been working on building Lineage to test some things but since it seems like this kernel might still have it's place, I intend to pick back up and add/update a few things sometime after next week.
    About battery life. I should have a test version tomorrow with some changes that hopefully improve batter life.