[Kernel][VS995][10b] reStock - a stock based kernel for V20 VZW V1.4 2018-03-05

Search This thread

BackCheck

Mar 15, 2014
Isn't that the oreo source code? Might explain why it's buggy since we are still rocking nougat system/firmware.

That's my hope except the static on boot makes me worry. There were some files missing that I had to add from 10b as well. We'll see when (if) we get Oreo. I'm used to less than perfect source code but I have a bad feeling about this.

Reactions: toastyp

toastyp

May 9, 2017
Miami
Google Pixel 7 Pro
That's my hope except the static on boot makes me worry. There were some files missing that I had to add from 10b as well. We'll see when (if) we get Oreo. I'm used to less than perfect source code but I have a bad feeling about this.
They've promised oreo down to the G5, so hopefully they come through. They've put minimal effort into maintaining this device (still bugs on pure stock nougat), so I agree it's an if. Losing as much money as they have, I'm surprised they are still releasing as many phones as they are. Maybe if oreo comes out, they will post a more refined version of the source with 20a being a pre-release or something. Probably wishing upon a star but oh well. Anyways, best of luck in figuring out how to work with the mess LG has left you with!

WárAsatruär

Feb 15, 2018
At the moment I'm trying to get the new 20a codebase to work but it seems way buggier than 10b. So far I have static on boot and broken Wi-Fi and that's just preliminary tests.

Beyond that, no. There isn't anything broken and I have nothing to add at this point. I might try to script init.d support to the installer but that is way on the backburner.

If you ever need any testing I'm here I love testing and helping out

TraderJack

Oct 5, 2008
Google Pixel 3 XL
Newb here on the V20.
Couple questions:

1) How to verify that this kernel is installed. Or, for that matter, how to check what kernel is installed if unknown.
2) How to take advantage of this kernel. Are all the "tweaks" just enabled, or does it unlock some settings I can play with?

thanks!

WárAsatruär

Feb 15, 2018
Newb here on the V20.
Couple questions:

1) How to verify that this kernel is installed. Or, for that matter, how to check what kernel is installed if unknown.
2) How to take advantage of this kernel. Are all the "tweaks" just enabled, or does it unlock some settings I can play with?

thanks!

K so first you can install any kernel editing app if it doesnt say restock kernel it's not installed next this has base settings kernel wise and many bonus add ons that you the user can manually adjust he has added pretty much allthings cpu govs io scheds more than any other kernel I've used this guy is the man .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, here I go. I started this for self edification and to get my Version V20 on a stable kernel with no static on boot. I started out with the open source from LG for the VS995, in this case 10b. I figured this would be the best starting point and it seemed to work well. From there added what was missing from other kernels that I needed. I figured I'd share the results. I may add more features, governors, I/O schedulers, KCAL possibly, etc. at a later date. I'll take feature requests but the goal is to keep it simple and stable and I'm not much above a novice when it comes to tinkering with the kernel so bear with me.

I don't plan on supporting other variants and don't know if this kernel would work on any other variants.

Features so far:
    No static on boot.
    exFAT support
    LZ4 kernel compression
    Remove verifiedbootstate flag patch
    KCAL support
    Noop, Deadline, CFQ, FIOPS, SIO, BFQ and Zen I/O schedulers
    Cubic, Reno, BIC, DCTCP, Westwood, Highspeed, Hybla, HTCP, Vegas, Scalable, LP, Yeah and Illinois TCP congestion control algorithms
    ElementalX, Blu_active CPU governors
    Adrenoboost (from @flar2)
    RCTD, CCMD, and Triton removal (based off of the script from @Zacharee1)
    WireGuard VPN

Changelog

V1.4 3/5/18
    Added WireGuard (thanks (again) to @poixninja for this one)

V1.3 - 12/8/17
    Added Adrenoboost GPU boost
    Added RCTD, CCMD and Triton removal script to installer

V1.2 - 3/29/17
    Added ElementalX and Blu_active CPU governors

V1.1 - 2/28/17
    Added FIOPS, SIO, BFQ and Zen I/O schedulers
    Added DCTCP, Westwood, Highspeed, Hybla, HTCP, Vegas, Scalable, LP, Yeah and Illinois TCP congestion control algorithms
    Added KCAL support (thanks to @poixninja for this one)

V1.0 - 2/14/17
    Initial release

Note on installing: I recomment using TWRP 3.2.0-0 for the vs995 to install this kernel. The 3.1.1-0 version generic 'elsa' release does not work for flashing some custome kernels, including this one. TWRP 3.0.2-1 for the us996 will also work.

Latest stable version download
    VS995 reStock v1.4

XDA:DevDB Information
    reStock VS995, Kernel for the LG V20

Contributors
    BackCheck, poixninja
    Source Code: https://github.com/DigitalDeviant/VS995_reStock

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.3
    Stable Release Date: 2017-12-08

Created 2017-02-14
    Last Updated 2017-12-08
    V1.1 Released

V1.1 - 2/28/17
    Added FIOPS, SIO, BFQ and Zen I/O schedulers
    Added DCTCP, Westwood, Highspeed, Hybla, HTCP, Vegas, Scalable, LP, Yeah and Illinois TCP congestion control algorithms
    Added KCAL support (thanks to @poixninja for this one)

Download reStock V1.1
    Just to let anyone keeping track know, I'm testing the patches that move core control to the kernel. They seem to be in most custom kernels for the MSM8996 so I'm not too worried this will break anything. I did a decent stress test of battery life last night before I updated and it seems to be pretty good. I hope these patches will make it even better. I might release a test version at some point to get more feedback.

If all goes well I guess I may add the Zen IO scheduler next to see how that affects battery life and performance. Unless anyone has any better suggestions, which I'm still open to.
    Sorry, for the late replay on all of these. A heavy workload at the day job and some work on other devices had me preoccupied.

How different between VS995/S/SS ?I see 3 devices in lg kernel source list .THX

As far as I know they are just revisions of the same code base, bug and security fixes probably. I think the SS is the most recent and that's what this kernel is based off of.

The LG v20 -Verizon , with the locked bootloader from hell and the convoluted, confounding, inaccurate, dated, sloppy explanations, that don't show a clear path - has been difficult, to say the least. Your lovely kernel worked quickly - with a little help from the Internet and titanium backup. Acore flashed repeatedly making several apps inoperable so, following directions I wiped contact storage with tb and within 1 minute- I've got a 100% functioning Rom, 1 week later. This last part with your kernel, that truly worked for me, pushes me to PayPal. Thanks are wonderful but money is what counts!

I appreciate the support but I don't really take donations. There are plenty of other devs who probably could use the cash but if you really feel like it, a donation to the Red Cross or any of the other groups offering aid to Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico and the Caribbean islands would make me happy. My day job involves satellite communications and we've been dealing a lot in that area lately and I can't stress how much they need any help they can get right now.

And as for the status of this project, I finally have a build environment set back up. I've been working on building Lineage to test some things but since it seems like this kernel might still have it's place, I intend to pick back up and add/update a few things sometime after next week.
    About battery life. I should have a test version tomorrow with some changes that hopefully improve batter life.